PDA

View Full Version : BI article on Whitney Carlson

tony
02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I guess there is no BI jinx because Whitney Carlson set records in the pentathlon and the long jump (indoor) since it came out.

Sounded kind of like this would be Whitney's last year. Is that right? Even with a shortened career, I think she has to be considered one of the greatest womens track athletes NDSU has ever seen even if she left for dental school tomorrow (note: The Angry Elf does not approve of dental school*.) Outdoors Whitney already holds records in the 100, 100 hurdles, 400 hurdles, and long jump - indoors, she has the 60 hurdles, long jump, and heptahlon records.

Only fault I have with the BI article is the one question I'd like to have seen posed is: "Have you thought about the 2012 Olympics?"

* A little Rankin/Bass humor

North Side
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
best of luck to her, getting into dental school isn't easy especially being a ND resident too bad ND doesn't have a dental school.

http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/prod/groups/sod/@pub/@sod/documents/asset/sod_asset_148588.pdf

Castor Troy
02-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Only fault I have with the BI article is the one question I'd like to have seen posed is: "Have you thought about the 2012 Olympics?"

* A little Rankin/Bass humor

This would be a good question to ask her after the outdoor season. Her indoor marks are unbelievable and her outdoor marks in 2010 will be amazing. What event would she have a shot at making the Olympics? Her best bet would be the 400 Hurdles. She runs a low 58 and the "A" standard in 2008 was 56. She'll break 57 this season, so that standard will look more attainable.

tony
02-23-2010, 05:07 AM
This would be a good question to ask her after the outdoor season. Her indoor marks are unbelievable and her outdoor marks in 2010 will be amazing. What event would she have a shot at making the Olympics? Her best bet would be the 400 Hurdles. She runs a low 58 and the "A" standard in 2008 was 56. She'll break 57 this season, so that standard will look more attainable.

I was thinking heptathlon - I know there'd have to be a lot of work into that and two years seems laughably short but she is such a great all round athlete that it might be possible.

99Bison
02-23-2010, 05:56 AM
I was thinking heptathlon - I know there'd have to be a lot of work into that and two years seems laughably short but she is such a great all round athlete that it might be possible.

It looks like she's focusing on that a bit now for this year, is that correct?

Castor Troy
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM

She is a great runner and hurdler, but she is not a great thrower and high jumper. Here are her 3 weakest events when she PR'ed.

HJ- 4-10.25
Shot Put- 29-02
Javelin- 83-10

She would need to high jump 5' 8", throw the shot 37, and the spear 110 to get to the "A" standard.

This is too much to accomplish. Dropping a second in the 400 H is very doable for her. She is concentrating on the hept to get to nationals and to break the school record. I am sure that she wants to be known as the best athlete in school history. She is very classy and showed up to see former hept record holder Lisa Ristau be inducted into the Hall of Fame last year. Lisa congratulated Whitney during her speech for breaking her 100 hurdle record. I thought that record would never be broken and Whitney shattered it- from 13.92 to 13.66. WOW!

BisonTFAlum
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
best of luck to her, getting into dental school isn't easy especially being a ND resident too bad ND doesn't have a dental school.

http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/prod/groups/sod/@pub/@sod/documents/asset/sod_asset_148588.pdf

The track team has had a few dental students graduate in the past few years...Chad Bergan and Terrance Wolbaum to name a couple.

BisonTFAlum
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM

The "A" standard for 2008 was 55.60 and the "B" standard was 56.50.

Castor Troy
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
The "A" standard for 2008 was 55.60 and the "B" standard was 56.50.

Thanks BTFA. The degree of specificity that you and I tend to possess as track fans may not always be appreciated, so I just keep it simple.