PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Question

wow
02-20-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm watching the Oakland/SDSU game the other night, and the announcers kept doing something that sort of bugged me. About half the time, the referred to us as South Dakota State, the rest of the time they called us "South Dakota" or "Dakota".

This is particularly annoying due to the fact the University of South Dakota is hated by many SDSU fans.

I would imagine that if this happened to NDSU (especially if they referred to you as "North Dakota"), you guys would be pretty upset and I haven't seen any posts to that effect.

So my question is, does this happen to you guys? Or did the notoriety of the last few seasons where you men's team got some national recognition put a kabosh to it?

Any thoughts on how to stop it?

silkamilkamonico
02-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Yes it happens.

Nothing you can really do to stop it. it just comes with the territory. I watch plenty of Kansas State basketball games, and they do the same thing to them, referring to KSUck as "Kansas", and it pisses them off probably more.

roadwarrior
02-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Has happened nearly a million times.

IzzyFlexion
02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes it happens.

Nothing you can really do to stop it. it just comes with the territory. I watch plenty of Kansas State basketball games, and they do the same thing to them, referring to KSUck as "Kansas", and it pisses them off probably more.

Silk, you are a clever bastard!:D
http://www.davidrumsey.com/rumsey/Size2/D0042/00422040.jpg

tony
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
It never really bothers me because NDSU represents North Dakota. It's not like anybody in North Dakota calls UND "North Dakota". It's UND or the University of North Dakota or the University of Phoenix - Grand Forks. Now if they said "UND", "University of North Dakota", or the "Sioux" that would be different.

tjbison
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
yeah its not a big deal. I've heard Michigan St. refered to as Michigan in games. Its just easier for the announcers. I do it myself with schools

godhateswalmart
02-20-2010, 04:08 PM
wow is a und fan that poses as a sdsu. he is just stirring the pot, ignore him.

wow
02-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry, you're wrong. Just got done watching the SDSU/IPFW game on Summit TV.

ndsubison1
02-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Just because someone calls us "North Dakota", or Michigan State "Michigan", or Kansas State "Kansas", doesn't necessarily mean theyre referring to the other schools

JackJD
02-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I recall watching the DII championship football game on TV a few years ago and in the pregame, the announcers had the two ND schools mixed up. My recollection is UND was playing but the announcers called them NDSU (I could have it backwards).

DjKyRo
02-21-2010, 03:28 AM
You'd think on a TV game it wouldn't be that huge of a deal, but I agree it can get weird - like Tony said, as long as they're not calling us the Sioux it's something I can live with it, particularly when "NDSU" is emblazoned on the front of the jerseys. Annoying but ultimately not a huge deal so far as I see it.

Tatanka
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I recall watching the DII championship football game on TV a few years ago and in the pregame, the announcers had the two ND schools mixed up. My recollection is UND was playing but the announcers called them NDSU (I could have it backwards).

IIRC, NDSU had a pretty kick-ass hockey team in a Frozen Five tournament a while back as well. It happens, but that doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

tony
02-21-2010, 09:41 PM
IIRC, NDSU had a pretty kick-ass hockey team in a Frozen Five tournament a while back as well. It happens, but that doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

Like I said, I'm fine with NDSU being referred to North Dakota during play by play. "UND" or "University of North Dakota" or "Sioux" - that's not ok.

Gully
02-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Like I said, I'm fine with NDSU being referred to North Dakota during play by play. "UND" or "University of North Dakota" or "Sioux" - that's not ok.

I'm not even "ok" with that but I realize it's going to happen and it's not hte end of the world. Funny thing is it also bothers me when people refer to SDSU as South Dakota. Is it really that confusing to people?

Herd
02-23-2010, 02:01 AM
I will say, this happens a lot more to ND State and SD State than it happens to Michigan State. Any tv sports announcer who consistenly refers to NDSU or Mich State as ND or Mich show their lack of understand for the situation and their audience. If you do it too much in Michigan, you'll be looking for a new job.

Case in point, Earl Cureton, former Piston, doing color for the Bison/Oakland game on FSN Detroint on Thurs . . . who consistenly said North Dakota. Earl clearly got that broadcast based on his last name, not his great ability to color a game. Do you think Earl cared? No he even called North Dakota, South Dakota a few times. Those slips have more to do with knowledge, awareness, and ability than trying to shorten a name.

By the way, if you did not see the Bison/Griz game on FSN Detroit, that was a quality broadcast in HD. IMO, we need to get 5-6 games/year on FSN North (or somewhere) similar to Oakland's broadcasts. We have 5 Conference homestands, we should be able to get our 5 Saturday night home games on tv, or mix in a Thursday game or two instead of Saturday if it works better for TV availability. Some regular TV coverage, escially if its throughout the region like FSN, would be very good for recruiting. When the new arena is in place, the tv games will be a must.

roadwarrior
02-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Case in point, Earl Cureton, former Piston, doing color for the Bison/Oakland game on FSN Detroint on Thurs . . . who consistenly said North Dakota. Earl clearly got that broadcast based on his last name, not his great ability to color a game. Do you think Earl cared? No he even called North Dakota, South Dakota a few times. Those slips have more to do with knowledge, awareness, and ability than trying to shorten a name.

Can you imagine Scott Miller doing anything remotely similar to this?

Herd
02-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Can you imagine Scott Miller doing anything remotely similar to this?

Scotty sweats the details, he wouldn't think about mis-stating anything. Scotty could go 100% for his career in not referring to Michigan State as Michigan.

stevdock
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
By the way, if you did not see the Bison/Griz game on FSN Detroit, that was a quality broadcast in HD. IMO, we need to get 5-6 games/year on FSN North (or somewhere) similar to Oakland's broadcasts. We have 5 Conference homestands, we should be able to get our 5 Saturday night home games on tv, or mix in a Thursday game or two instead of Saturday if it works better for TV availability. Some regular TV coverage, escially if its throughout the region like FSN, would be very good for recruiting. When the new arena is in place, the tv games will be a must.

I know this is off topic, but I don't see how we are going to get Saturday night games on FSN. The Gophers hockey is always on there. Much better chance of it happening on Thursday nights. With both men's and women's teams struggling attendance wise, that's another reason I don't see it happening. I make it to Saturday games when I can, but Thursday's are completely out. So I would love to have them on TV, but that's also going to mean that some nights I would take the easy way out and just watch the game on TV.

Basketball just doesn't have the same following that football does, and because of it TV just isn't going to work. Look at last year's team, who arguably was the best in the history of NDSU, couldn't even sell out every game or even the big games.

tony
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Basketball just doesn't have the same following that football does, and because of it TV just isn't going to work. Look at last year's team, who arguably was the best in the history of NDSU, couldn't even sell out every game or even the big games.

Or you could look at televised basketball as commercials for Bison basketball. The Kansas game was on television and attendance by Bison fans was stellar.

If the goal is increased attendance at Bison basketball games, I just don't see how not televising games helps. It just maintains the status quo and the status quo sucks. Of course, getting a new arena is the huge wild card in all this. I'm with the others who think that alone could boost attendance dramatically. I can't think of a better way to showcase a new arena (or even an improved BSA) than by televising as many games as possible.

WYOBISONMAN
02-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Hmmmmm............we have never had that problem in Wyoming......;)

TbonZach
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Hmmmmm............we have never had that problem in Wyoming......;)

How can there be? There isn't a school out there worth being referred to by name. ;)

duluthbison
02-23-2010, 11:12 PM
There was an ad for one of the frozen four's a while back that had the UND Sioux Hockey team on it but the fine print said "North Dakota State University Bison." I thought it was pretty hilarious, I will have to find a picture of it and post it here sometime.

aces1180
02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
There was an ad for one of the frozen four's a while back that had the UND Sioux Hockey team on it but the fine print said "North Dakota State University Bison." I thought it was pretty hilarious, I will have to find a picture of it and post it here sometime.

It was actually a WCHA Final Five Red Barron poster. It was quite funny, however.

tjbison
02-24-2010, 03:06 AM
It was actually a WCHA Final Five Red Barron poster. It was quite funny, however.

I will give $500 to anyone that has one!!!

duluthbison
02-24-2010, 03:46 AM

Oops, my bad!

Tatanka
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/81f3785c.jpg

As you can imagine, all available winged monkeys took flight the day this was handed out...

56BISON73
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/81f3785c.jpg

As you can imagine, all available winged monkeys took flight the day this was handed out...

OMG that is great!!!!

But did we win the championship that year????:D

Twentysix
02-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Google says we beat holy cross 5-2 in the WCHA championship in 2006. Grats bison!

But we then lost to BC in the semi finals.