PDA

View Full Version : Dan Gable

CarringtonBison
02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
FYI-Dan Gable (yes of Iowa and Olympic fame) will be in town on Wednesday night for a talk. The Carrington Wrestling club is hosting him. I think he is speaking at the Fargo theater at around 7:00. Still seats available.

I can get contact info if need be. I think that tickets will be available at the door. Sorry for the vagaries, but I know of this-not specifics. BraxtonT-any help??

onbison09
02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
FYI-Dan Gable (yes of Iowa and Olympic fame) will be in town on Wednesday night for a talk. The Carrington Wrestling club is hosting him. I think he is speaking at the Fargo theater at around 7:00. Still seats available.

I can get contact info if need be. I think that tickets will be available at the door. Sorry for the vagaries, but I know of this-not specifics. BraxtonT-any help??

Wish I could go. I've heard him on TV numerous times and he's always interesting.

VanClubPres
02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
When we went to the UNI-IU, we did our tailgating right across the street from the Basketball arena. I grew up watching the Dan Gable Video, and watching his wrestlers run up and down those steps. It was amazing. It was holy ground for me.

Needless to say, I had to run the steps once. Not as in shape as I used to be...

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/zingingtuck/UniversityofIowa002.jpg

56BISON73
02-16-2010, 12:40 AM
When we went to the UNI-IU, we did our tailgating right across the street from the Basketball arena. I grew up watching the Dan Gable Video, and watching his wrestlers run up and down those steps. It was amazing. It was holy ground for me.

Needless to say, I had to run the steps once. Not as in shape as I used to be...

The steps in Carver or the Old Field House? The old field house is brutal.
Are you from IC????

BraxtonT
02-16-2010, 01:08 AM
BraxtonT-any help??

Well, how about this:

http://www.carringtonwrestling.com

Hit the link for the Fargo Theatre for tickets. The talk begins at 6:00 P.M. They had to do it early because the coaches of the high school teams have a meeting back at the FargoDome at 7:30.

It's only $20 a ticket, so we are hoping for a full house, though there are still plenty of tickets available.

BraxtonT
02-16-2010, 01:13 AM
When we went to the UNI-IU, we did our tailgating right across the street from the WRESTLING arena. I grew up watching the Dan Gable Video, and watching his wrestlers run up and down those steps. It was amazing. It was holy ground for me.

Fixed it for you.

Not trying to get nitpicky, but Carver Hawkeye was built because of the wrestling people. The story I heard goes something like this: The wrestling people asked for an arena to get built, the big wigs said OK as long as you come up with the money to pay for it, thinking there was no way they'd be able to do that. Within a year or so, the money was raised and Carver Hawkeye got built.

onbison09
02-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Fixed it for you.

Not trying to get nitpicky, but Carver Hawkeye was built because of the wrestling people. The story I heard goes something like this: The wrestling people asked for an arena to get built, the big wigs said OK as long as you come up with the money to pay for it, thinking there was no way they'd be able to do that. Within a year or so, the money was raised and Carver Hawkeye got built.

Hell they get more people at some duals than basketball games it seems like. Note: I have no idea if this is true and I'm too lazy to look it up.

sambini
02-16-2010, 03:19 AM

We went to the same game to. We parked in the Carver-Hawkeye parking lot. Thanks to Gary Barta AD. We went into the wrestling room got the tour. Also met some of the wrestlers.

TheDoctor
02-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Well, how about this:

http://www.carringtonwrestling.com

Hit the link for the Fargo Theatre for tickets. The talk begins at 6:00 P.M. They had to do it early because the coaches of the high school teams have a meeting back at the FargoDome at 7:30.

It's only $20 a ticket, so we are hoping for a full house, though there are still plenty of tickets available.

I took a look at your roster and confirmed that a Carrington wrestling program couldn't exist without at least one Zink on the roster. I wrestled with Kirk at Valley City State and Chris came and practiced with us during our senior year of high school, the day he was flying out for a visit to West Point. The Zinks are quite the wrestling family. ;)

VanClubPres
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
I took a look at your roster and confirmed that a Carrington wrestling program couldn't exist without at least one Zink on the roster. I wrestled with Kirk at Valley City State and Chris came and practiced with us during our senior year of high school, the day he was flying out for a visit to West Point. The Zinks are quite the wrestling family. ;)

Kirk was my hs coach for many years. After practice we would play boxball, (box in each corner, no rules, get the ball in) and Kirk played to win. He left a couple holes in the sheetrock with my head.

mebisonII
02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Hell they get more people at some duals than basketball games it seems like. Note: I have no idea if this is true and I'm too lazy to look it up.

This is true. IA MBB is way down, IA wrestling is up.

VanClubPres
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
The steps in Carver or the Old Field House? The old field house is brutal.
Are you from IC????

Nope. Kindred High Represent!!!

Fixed it for you.

Yeah Carver Hawkey is really wrestling arena that, when convenient, they allow basketball. It was really cool to stand under all the banners and think of the history that has walked through.

FYI: The Arenas attendence record was something like 15955. Iowa and Iowa State. Gable vs. Sanderson. That would have been epic.

TheDoctor
02-23-2010, 11:26 PM
How was Dan's time here? Speech go well??? ;)

BraxtonT
02-24-2010, 03:39 AM
How was Dan's time here? Speech go well??? ;)

It was very inspirational, but the more impressive thing was the time he gave up afterwards in signing autographs and taking pictures with all the kids and their groups.

He also did something when he left that should probably have been a feel- good newspaper story, but out of respect for the individual involved and the privacy of the situation, I will not say what he did. Just know that he made an impression on me that he is a better person than he is a coach or wrestler. That, of course, is saying a lot for the man!

TheDoctor
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
It was very inspirational, but the more impressive thing was the time he gave up afterwards in signing autographs and taking pictures with all the kids and their groups.

He also did something when he left that should probably have been a feel- good newspaper story, but out of respect for the individual involved and the privacy of the situation, I will not say what he did. Just know that he made an impression on me that he is a better person than he is a coach or wrestler. That, of course, is saying a lot for the man!

Thats awsome to hear. I have heard similar things about him as a person. My wife's first cousin, Kasey Gillis, had several full ride offers and took a half just to go wrestle for Dan. As I am sure you know, Dan retired after Kasey's freshman year and it definitely took a tole one him, losing the coach that recruited him, and the reason he came there. Regardless, congrats on getting him here. It's too bad that NDSU couldn't adjust their practice schedule so that our wrestlers could have heard him speak as well. ;)

bisoneer
04-04-2010, 03:35 AM

He was lights out when he played for U of I. So was a fellow name Nate Carr from ISU, I saw him wrestle when I worked for Deere in Waterloo, they had a match vs. UNI.

BisonHawk
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes the national attendance record for a dual wrestling meet was set in 2008 in the Iowa-Iowa State wrestling match.

But while initial capacity is 15,500, the actual attendance record for Carver-Hawkeye Arena is about 22,700 which was achieved in 1985 in a women's basketball game between #1 Iowa and Ohio State....and of course Iowa lost.:ranting: