PDA

View Full Version : First SDSU Stadium Details

jimmyjack
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Build up to 22,700 seats. 25 luxury suites. Club seating. No timetable, although I'm hearing President Chicoine wants it sooner rather than later and he's got 7 years left.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100210/NEWS/2100329/1001/news

Tatanka
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes, but does it have a retractable roof? :nod:

Seriously though, it's good to have plans and vision. I for one would like to see our brothers in transition succeed* and this goes a long ways towards that...

*Just not against the Bison.

Bison bison
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks like a plan to me!

I don't think SDSU will ever need a stadium with seating for 40k, but new building in phases that's the way to do it!

bisonmike2
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Build up to 22,700 seats. 25 luxury suites. Club seating. No timetable, although I'm hearing President Chicoine wants it sooner rather than later and he's got 7 years left.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100210/NEWS/2100329/1001/news

Wow, that would be huge for SDSU. So your Pres. sounds like he's progressive and wants to push SDSU forward into the future? We had a guy like that once.:ranting:

jimmyjack
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
President Chicoine is definitely a guy with a vision. They've broken ground on something like $100 million in construction during his first few years, and we've been told to expect more of the same in coming years. Right now, a $50 million science building, three new dorms, the second expansion of the Student Union in five years, and several other expansion projects are underway. Campus is a mess... but in a good way.

I have great confidence in his ability to get this stadium project underway... and soon.

IzzyFlexion
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Can't those Daktronic folks pony up some cash? They seem to be pretty successful.
-Maybe they have/do for all I know.:hide:

tjbison
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Why in the hell do they think they need a stadium for 22,000+ when they only average a little over 13,000 per game (and more than likely to drop than rise any more).

Won't happen anytime soon just my opinion

2002jack
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Why in the hell do they think they need a stadium for 22,000+ when they only average a little over 13,000 per game (and more than likely to drop than rise any more).

I will passing a fund-rasier bucket around at the NDSU doubleheaders on Saturday. Hopefully some of you Bison fans can help out, I know how much you hate coming to games at CAS and using the Johhny-on-the-Spots.

tjbison
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I will passing a fund-rasier bucket around at the NDSU doubleheaders on Saturday. Hopefully some of you Bison fans can help out, I know how much you hate coming to games at CAS and using the Johhny-on-the-Spots.

Nope that dump does just fine for me, I could care less

TheBisonator
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Wish we could expand the Fargodome to 40,000 seats if we ever needed to go that big.

Again, Mayor John Lindgren, Thank you.

cvbison1
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Wish we could expand the Fargodome to 40,000 seats if we ever needed to go that big.

Again, Mayor John Lindgren, Thank you.

we never will have to

TheBisonator
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
we never will have to

New stadium, maybe??

ndsubison1
02-10-2010, 08:09 PM

the only time they will get close to even 18,000 is when they play the Bison :D

cbline
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Think about the days back at Dacotah Field. They would annouce "guesstimates" of 16,000 at games, but we all knew that was likely very inaccurate and too high of a figure. So, for NDSU to go from those days to the high average attendance we have now, it seems possible that SDSU can make a similar jump. 22,000? Maybe not that high, but a good jump is possible nonetheless.

JacksFan06
02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

The stadium will be built to last for the next 50 years. I'm sure in 1960 they were saying "why do they need a stadium that holds 15,000?"

I agree that it won't be complete for awhile, but the plan is to do it in stages so CAS will be seeing some improvements in the next 5 years. My guess is that the visitors side will be built first so Bison fans will like that.

bisonmike2
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Think about the days back at Dacotah Field. They would annouce "guesstimates" of 16,000 at games, but we all knew that was likely very inaccurate and too high of a figure. So, for NDSU to go from those days to the high average attendance we have now, it seems possible that SDSU can make a similar jump. 22,000? Maybe not that high, but a good jump is possible nonetheless.

thought, insight and perspective are not welcome here in Bisonville. Consider this your warning. :)

cbline
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
thought, insight and perspective are not welcome here in Bisonville. Consider this your warning. :)

I am truly sorry. I will revert to delusions, impulsive behavior, and irrational thoughts immediately!!

CarringtonBison
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I am truly sorry. I will revert to delusions, impulsive behavior, and irrational thoughts immediately!!

dont forget name calling and out of fact disavowing others arguments

SDbison
02-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think you build a stadium for one game, but when the UND game is restored I could see having 23,000 to 27,000 regular attendance for that game in Fargo if there was a stadium big enough.
I don't think that would be possible in Brookings or Vermillion anytime in the next 50 years as Sioux Falls residents really don't give a rip about the state schools football programs.

SDbison
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
we never will have to
If NDSU got very successful in FCS and then had an opportunity to get in a good FBS conference in about 5 to 7 years from now (I know I am dreaming, but go along for a moment) I could see attendance going up to 30,000 to 35,000 in about 10 to 15 years from now. I could see building a 30,000 seat stadium with some overflow grass seating like ISU to add another 5000 or so. Just imagine.........

aces1180
02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
If NDSU got very successful in FCS and then had an opportunity to get in a good FBS conference in about 5 to 7 years from now (I know I am dreaming, but go along for a moment) I could see attendance going up to 30,000 to 35,000 in about 10 to 15 years from now. I could see building a 30,000 seat stadium with some overflow grass seating like ISU to add another 5000 or so. Just imagine.........

You need a hill for grass seating...There are no hills in Fargo except Dike West and the landfill. ;)

bisonmike2
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
You need a hill for grass seating...There are no hills in Fargo except Dike West and the landfill. ;)

We could get some cheap land out by the landfill. With the money we save on the land we could probably build a 40K seat stadium. Great thinking!

mango
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Wait, you think it's possible NDSU would move to a FBS conference in 5-7 years?? App. State and Montana has had a ton of success at the FCS level and haven't moved up, what makes you think NDSU would?

56BISON73
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM

SD
You make some good points. NDSU need to get back on the winning track. Winning cures a lot of ills. When this happens NDSU marketing needs to strike while the iron is hot to bring in new fans. They need to cultivate that realationship to make the fans feel as valued customers. In doing so you run less of a risk of losing your fan base during a down streak. Granted tailgating has become an event but people will only travel so far and so often to watch a losing team.
They need to do more than just say here we are.

When they can do all of that then they will have created a market for tickets. There is no market for FB tickets as you can find them readily available at any game. When a solid market is established is when you will need a new stadium.

aces1180
02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
We could get some cheap land out by the landfill. With the money we save on the land we could probably build a 40K seat stadium. Great thinking!

Thanks! I was thinking in and out of the box! Wait, what?

EndZoneQB
02-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Wait, you think it's possible NDSU would move to a FBS conference in 5-7 years?? App. State and Montana has had a ton of success at the FCS level and haven't moved up, what makes you think NDSU would?

Try again:

Nowhere does he think it's possible, he is simply speaking hypothetically.

mango
02-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Try again:

Nowhere does he think it's possible, he is simply speaking hypothetically.

To even mention it is ridiculous. There is no way it is going to happen, you have been playoff eligible for two years, there is no way that you would make the move to FBS that soon.

SDbison
02-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Use your head for a moment mango bango! There are no FBS programs in the Dakotas and relatively few in our geographic area. Out east there are all sorts of FBS programs. Plus NDSU is a state land grant institution with great football fan support in a decent sized city. Something Brookings will never have. So with several years success starting now it can happen.
Actually can't wait to leave hick Brookings and the a-holes from UND behind and be the first and only FBS team to represent the Dakotas! My dream bud and I want to see it happen with Bison FBS success like Boise State before I die.

EndZoneQB
02-12-2010, 04:33 AM
To even mention it is ridiculous. There is no way it is going to happen, you have been playoff eligible for two years, there is no way that you would make the move to FBS that soon.

Who seriously cares? You are picking on someones post about a self-admitted hypothetical idea. He knew it was out on a limb and pointed it out ahead of time. Plus, it's the offseason, what else do we have to talk about besides recruits/future?? It's speculation/dream season!

SDbison
02-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Who seriously cares? You are picking on someones post about a self-admitted hypothetical idea. He knew it was out on a limb and pointed it out ahead of time. Plus, it's the offseason, what else do we have to talk about besides recruits/future?? It's speculation/dream season!
Hey, students, fans, teammakers, coaches, players and civic leaders have to have dreams before the visionaries take over and make it reality.
Squashing ideas will get us nowhere. Thanks for the support EndZoneQB! Reps to you!

56BISON73
02-12-2010, 04:51 AM

Thats the difference between NDSU and SDSU.

NDSU was talking about moving up back in the late 60s. They built the BSA which at the time(1969) was a superior facility for a Small College Division school. They then built the Fargo dome.

FYI there IS a BIG office in the FFD that is empty. That office will be occupied when they make the move to FBS. They were thinking that far ahead.

Where was SDSU when all of that forward thinking was going on. Now look at your post and ask yourself---who is being ridiculous?????

BlueBisonRock
02-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Use your head for a moment mango bango! There are no FBS programs in the Dakotas and relatively few in our geographic area. Out east there are all sorts of FBS programs. Plus NDSU is a state land grant institution with great football fan support in a decent sized city. Something Brookings will never have. So with several years success starting now it can happen.
Actually can't wait to leave hick Brookings and the a-holes from UND behind and be the first and only FBS team to represent the Dakotas! My dream bud and I want to see it happen with Bison FBS success like Boise State before I die.

Great vison to have! Will make Bison fans and Sambini real happy. :bow:

Kemo
02-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Actually can't wait to leave hick Brookings and the a-holes from UND behind and be the first and only FBS team to represent the Dakotas!
Like it or not, NDSU's ability to move up to the FBS is tied with SDSU mainly due to geography. Neither school is in the footprints of an FBS conference, and a conference won't consider expanding into the Dakotas for only one university.

BisBison
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Like it or not, NDSU's ability to move up to the FBS is tied with SDSU mainly due to geography. Neither school is in the footprints of an FBS conference, and a conference won't consider expanding into the Dakotas for only one university.

You could be right and I don't think that's bad either. You guys have been a good partner/rival through out this D-I transition, I'd hate to lose that rivalry.

SDbison
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry don't agree with you. This isn't basketball where traveling partners are required. Maybe could happen for SDSU if they built their gleaming new football stadium in Sioux Falls and started to get some decent support from there. NDSU is in a wole different league speaking of community support, monetary backing and past football tradition. Very doubtful SDSU will catch up anytime soon, but you can keep those wild dreams in your heart. Bye now.

BisBison
02-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Sorry don't agree with you. This isn't basketball where traveling partners are required. Maybe could happen for SDSU if they built their gleaming new football stadium in Sioux Falls and started to get some decent support from there. NDSU is in a wole different league speaking of community support, monetary backing and past football tradition. Very doubtful SDSU will catch up anytime soon, but you can keep those wild dreams in your heart. Bye now.

catch up??? They've beaten us what 3 times in a row now:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I think we're the ones that need to catch up. We need to start walking the walk rather than just talking the talk pretty damn soon if you ask me.

TheBisonator
02-13-2010, 09:32 PM

What are you, a fascist?? Even mentioning a hypothetical idea is a ridiculous thing?? We're not talking about Cartman speculating to Kyle that if you shove food up your ass you crap out of your mouth. This is something (NDSU to FBS) that's actually within the realm of a realistic world. (Do you know how much money Fargo-Moorhead has?? A lot. A lot more than you think. A hell of a lot more than Brookings. It is a possibility.) And to tell someone that something which is within the realm of possibility shouldn't even be mentioned makes me think you belong in Soviet Russia, or something.

Tatanka
02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
What are you, a fascist?? Even mentioning a hypothetical idea is a ridiculous thing?? We're not talking about Cartman speculating to Kyle that if you shove food up your ass you crap out of your mouth. This is something (NDSU to FBS) that's actually within the realm of a realistic world. (Do you know how much money Fargo-Moorhead has?? A lot. A lot more than you think. A hell of a lot more than Brookings. It is a possibility.) And to tell someone that something which is within the realm of possibility shouldn't even be mentioned makes me think you belong in Soviet Russia, or something.

Interorectogestion. Excellent.

TheBisonator
02-13-2010, 10:40 PM

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/5/52/MarthaStewartSP.jpg

Notice how you have to bale up the turkey first before basting with lubricant.

IzzyFlexion
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM

Heh, heh....recto.....http://cristal.inria.fr/~harley/ecdl3/pics/butthead.gif

Herd
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM

Yes & No. For football, 1 would better. For basketball, 2 would be better.

lakesbison
02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
NDSU can go FBS without SDSU or anyone nearby, and guess what, I'd rather not be tied to anyone if we moved up.

Kemo
02-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes & No. For football, 1 would better. For basketball, 2 would be better.
Every FBS conference hosts basketball (and many other sports) as well, so it is doubtful that any of these conferences would pick up a university as just for football. Therefore, all the athletic programs within the university would affect the school's ability to move up to the FBS level.

devin45k
02-15-2010, 08:05 PM
They cant even sell out there pile of garbage when they play NDSU. How are they ever gonna sell that crap out?

cvbison1
02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
SDSU's logo looks like a cock with ears

SUPERBUNNY
02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

And I've never seen a Bison that didn't have shit all over it's ass so what's the point?

Anyway, back to the Bison FBS discussion and to continue the thread drift.

It isn't any real secret that NDSU wants to eventually move to FBS is it? I've kind of figured that was the goal all along. Why wouldn't NDSU have that as a goal? If Wyoming could do it then it could certainly happen at NDSU. I tend to look at both NDSU and SDSU and see Iowa State as a model for moving up over time. Will it happen for one, both, either? Time will tell. NDSU would be in a better position to do it.

In talking about Bison and FBS, wouldn't the Fargo Dome become too small a venue to garner interest from an FBS conference? What do you do then? A brick dome is tough to expand.

SUPERBUNNY

lakesbison
02-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Corners could be filled in for extra 3000. making it 23,000. that would fit right in with the MAC or WAC.

wow
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Corners could be filled in for extra 3000. making it 23,000. that would fit right in with the MAC or WAC.

This may be the most reasonable post I've ever seen from lakes.

TheBisonator
02-16-2010, 07:53 PM

It would make 3,000 people having to see the game through 20 foot wide load-bearing posts. Better idea is to build an upper deck on top of the west grandstand.

Ferd
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
What do the engineers have to say about either of those ideas?

I wouldn't mind either approach if they were feasible.

TheBisonator
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Here's what I would like to see: Something like the east side grandstand at Canad Inns Stadium in Winnipeg, but in green and gold (obviously) and on both sides identically. It would seat around 30,000.

Something like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/3825930177_4dd2ed3d3e_o.jpg

cvbison1
02-18-2010, 12:45 AM
how do you get to sdsu?

.... go south until you smell it...then west until you step in it

tjbison
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's what I would like to see: Something like the east side grandstand at Canad Inns Stadium in Winnipeg, but in green and gold (obviously) and on both sides identically. It would seat around 30,000.

Something like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/3825930177_4dd2ed3d3e_o.jpg

Looks like they are short a few fans???

Who plays there? and what? srsly I have no clue what sports teams are in Winnipeg

BisBison
02-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Looks like they are short a few fans???

Who plays there? and what? srsly I have no clue what sports teams are in Winnipeg

That's the Blue Bombers of the CFL's Stadium

tjbison
02-18-2010, 01:39 AM

That explains it, I don't watch or care about Canadian or should I say American semi-pro football. Are the Goalposts still on the goaline?? I think that was CFL

Hammersmith
02-18-2010, 02:47 AM

I read that some guy is going to build them a new stadium in return for owning the team and the land the current stadium stands on(the Blue Bombers are community-owned like the GB Packers). Is that deal still on, or did the economy kill it?

BisBison
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I read that some guy is going to build them a new stadium in return for owning the team and the land the current stadium stands on(the Blue Bombers are community-owned like the GB Packers). Is that deal still on, or did the economy kill it?

Hadn't heard anything about that. But back to the quote above relating to the crowd. That pic looks like a soccer game. I've been to a couple Blue Bombers' games and they draw almost a full house IIRC.

TheBisonator
02-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Hadn't heard anything about that. But back to the quote above relating to the crowd. That pic looks like a soccer game. I've been to a couple Blue Bombers' games and they draw almost a full house IIRC.

That is correct. Stadium seats exactly 29,553 and the Bombers average around 26-27,000 per game.

AKBison
02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
It would make 3,000 people having to see the game through 20 foot wide load-bearing posts. Better idea is to build an upper deck on top of the west grandstand.

How about taking out the North wall and end zone seating, move the roof bearing post back and build a horseshoe endzone facility complete with luxury suites on top. This would allow us to get rid of the "red" suites which we could fill in with regular seating. This would bring us up to maybe 25K or so.

*I am not an engineer nor do I pretend to be. However, I have a good friend who is a mining engineer, which is close enough for Bisonville.

Bison"FANatic"
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
*I am not an engineer nor do I pretend to be. However, I have a good friend who is a mining engineer, which is close enough for Bisonville.

Now if you would have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night your idea would be golden:D :D :D :D

Twentysix
02-27-2010, 09:24 AM

That is some funny shit. LoL!! Also there are a few speckles of teams that play FBS football that don't play basketball in that conference.

When Temple played FB in the big east they were not a basketball member. I'm not calling this a norm by any means. But to totally and entirely discredit it as a possibility would be...short sighted.