PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kind of Ironic

WRSDBison
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
First, I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "other schools" category.

I was just reading a thread on a Notre Dame board and someone mentions that, and this is their exact quote, "I think it would set an intimidating tone if he led them out of the tunnel to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

The next person goes on to say, "Exactly! Time for the 21st century. And a jumbotron with an animated leprechaun clapping away and stomping feet and throwing punches."

Do they wanna be NDSU? Substitute Thundar for animated leprechaun and that is pretty much exactly the same. Which one of you guys went and suggested all of this on their board?

EndZoneQB
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Link that shizz! It's time for a Bville take over of their board! haha

CaBisonFan
02-09-2010, 06:54 AM

I was just reading a thread on a Notre Dame board and someone mentions that, and this is their exact quote, "I think it would set an intimidating tone if he led them out of the tunnel to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

The next person goes on to say, "Exactly! Time for the 21st century. And a jumbotron with an animated leprechaun clapping away and stomping feet and throwing punches."

Do they wanna be NDSU? Substitute Thundar for animated leprechaun and that is pretty much exactly the same. Which one of you guys went and suggested all of this on their board?

Not against your post...and I realize that NDSU is a little different. Times change...but not much at Notre Dame. I think that the Irish could use a uniform facelift. They look like a military academy team.

The band at Notre Dame is sacred...as it should be. I've seen them 'live' at the Orange Bowl. When the guys in the kilts came out and the band did its routine before the game my jaw was on the ground. Better than any piped music...exponentially.

Still...the larger point has to do with how steeped Notre Dame is in tradition. It's my opinion that the weight of the tradition has made it harder for the program to find a new identity...which it sorely needs. Recruits see it as 'old school.' And as everyone knows...academia is making it harder to get the Florida/Texas/California speedsters.

It's a good post. You have a good point...and the people on the Notre Dame board have a point. Thanks for bringing this up on the board.

missingnumber7
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Times change...but not much at Notre Dame. I think that the Irish could use a uniform facelift. They look like a military academy team.

Couldn't disagree more. Infact, they need to stop wearing those stupid green uni's. To many schools are going overboard with the multiple uni's and different styles...aka Oregon. The classic look that has survived for an extremely long time is unseen. Even both military academies have recently had uniform changes, yet Notre Dame stays the same, and I would be willing to be that they have decent sales without changing anything.

cbline
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been to a few Notre Dame games, and for someone whose family has followed Notre Dame for generations, it was like walking in holy ground: the campus filled with fall colors on the trees, fans lining the sidewalk as the team walks from the cathredral to the stadium, the Guard in their kilts & band marching down the street chanting "Here come the Irish!", and the band playing the Victory March in the stadium.

Tradition and rituals are important to us Catholics, and that seems to translate to the traditions and game rituals at Notre Dame football games. Some things are timeless, even as other universities try to chase the next "new thing", like Oregon's ever-changing uniforms. Those timeless aspects should be left alone.

Flintstone
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I've also been to Notre Dame Stadium for a game. I agree with cbline 100%. The experience is one of a kind in college football today. There are places that are larger and louder but there aren't many that can match the tradition.

ndsubison1
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Infact, they need to stop wearing those stupid green uni's. To many schools are going overboard with the multiple uni's and different styles...aka Oregon. The classic look that has survived for an extremely long time is unseen. Even both military academies have recently had uniform changes, yet Notre Dame stays the same, and I would be willing to be that they have decent sales without changing anything.

Dont blame the schools, blame the corporations paying for these weird unis

mango
02-09-2010, 06:07 PM

I don't have a problem with the green uni's, they only time the wear them is for big games. Charlie seemed to use a lot more than in the past and I don't think Kelly will use them as much.

Now, they just need to start winning in them :banghead:

56BISON73
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Notre Dame is Notre Dame.
Being old school-tradition actually helps them. Just look at their recuiting classes. Even with Chucky Cheese they had outstanding recruits. The recruits continually talk about its tradition and academic standards.
Holding a degree from Notre Dame can be huge.

I would love to go see a game there!!!!

BadlandsBison
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Notre Dame is Notre Dame.
Being old school-tradition actually helps them. Just look at their recuiting classes. Even with Chucky Cheese they had outstanding recruits. The recruits continually talk about its tradition and academic standards.
Holding a degree from Notre Dame can be huge.

I would love to go see a game there!!!!

I hope to see a game there some day as well. One my friends from high school went to a game there and he said it was simply an amazing experience.

My friend said that walking around the campus before the game is a lot of fun. Fans line the sidewalk while the team walks from Mass to the field and he actually got a high five from Brady Quinn!

WRSDBison
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I have been to three games there. All three have been spectacular. Against Mich St. in 2005, they lost by 3 in OT. The opening game this year against Nevada, won 35-0 and again the last game of the season against UCONN, they lost by 3 in OT. I think I might be bad luck. Or Chuckles just was not a good coach. Anyone that talks about wanting to go to a game, its definately a must do in your lifetime. The atmosphere on campus during game day is second to none(I'm a little biased as I've been a lifelong fan). So much tradition there.

Also, for the person whom was talking about the Notre Dame band, you should watch this video. It is the ND band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKythlXAIY

1bizon1
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Rudy.....still probably my favorite movie. Actually sends chills down my spine watching that. Not a ND "fan" but they just can't change anything except to get back to their "glory days." Same for the Herd. BRING BACK BISON TRADITION Coach Bohl!! PLEASE?

bisonmike2
02-13-2010, 01:30 AM

Maybe they could use this guys version of Thunderstruck?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bozbet6uko8&feature=related

CaBisonFan
02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Even both military academies have recently had uniform changes, yet Notre Dame stays the same, and I would be willing to be that they have decent sales without changing anything.

I don't doubt that sales will remain off the chart.

CaBisonFan
02-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Tradition and rituals are important to us Catholics, and that seems to translate to the traditions and game rituals at Notre Dame

Of this I have no doubt. I wonder if the revolving door for coaches will ever change. Are the uniforms exactly the same as when football started there? I know, it's a tradition. I like the Bison uniform of the 70s & 80s. Not sure why it went to puke yellow and then to the little green men look.

Good thing they've kept the trees & leaves...:D

missingnumber7
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Dont blame the schools, blame the corporations paying for these weird unis

Nike is just having to much fun using the ducks as an experimental uniform team. As far as the service acadamies, my personal opinion is that they should be plain, and just have ARMY, NAVY or AIR FORCE on them, and I love the patches on the jerseys. I so want to try to get a ND National Guard on a uniform.

IzzyFlexion
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM

I am so sick of you conservative bastards living in Priarieville!
"Oh, I'm Mr. North Dakota State and I never cheer for Oregon becuase their uniform variations are just toooooooo over the top........" blah, blah, blah!
Open your minds you ROBOTS! I'm sure.......just when I get my ball bag feeling just right in my game day outfit, you knuckleheads start criticizing west coast fashion.
Well...................SUCK IT BITCHES!!
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/duck_cheerleader.jpg
NOTE: This ridiculous post is NOT endorsed by Bisonville or any of it's affiliates.

missingnumber7
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Well...................SUCK IT BITCHES!![/SIZE]
NOTE: This ridiculous post is NOT endorsed by Bisonville or any of it's affiliates.

MY EYES MY EYES

For the record, I'm not against differnt uni's, I just don't think you should have more uniform options than you have games in a season.

IzzyFlexion
02-17-2010, 04:33 PM
MY EYES MY EYES

For the record, I'm not against differnt uni's, I just don't think you should have more uniform options than you have games in a season.

I'm really not either. I just stumbled across that picture and just couldn't resist posting some thing childish.:D
-Imagine that......me posting something childish?

SDbison
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
OK Moderators I had patience to see where this thread went, but now can obviously see this topic does not belong in NDSU Football. Please move it.

CaBisonFan
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
NOTE: This ridiculous post is NOT endorsed by Bisonville or any of it's affiliates.[/quote]

My God Izzy...you've changed. Or maybe you 'should' change. :D :D

This comment isn't for you Izzy: I don't give a damn what Oregon wears, but they're good for a laugh each time they're on TV. They've certainly drawn attention to their program with it. They weren't even doormats before this era. Yeah...I hate their duck wing jerseys. But IMO...some recruits are attracted to programs that play around with the 'ugly' look. They think it's cool. TCU is another example of a rising program with incredibly ugly uniforms. Boise State has it's Smurf field. Again, IMO, that's a little bit of what the Bison did with their unis...except not as severe as some. I don't hate the current uniforms...but I 'do' think that some of the players get an other-worldly (alien) look to them, depending on the type of helmet they're wearing.

Other examples: Missouri, West Virginia, App. State...all riding a crest right now...and beating some of the traditional powerhouses.