PDA

View Full Version : Defections/retention

ISXBISON
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have any concerns with us having a retention problem in the next couple of years due to the size of this class?

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost a couple kids or more for whatever reason. Just usually the state of being at this level. Why it's such a good thing there's so many verbals.

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have any concerns with us having a retention problem in the next couple of years due to the size of this class?

I think every Bison fan is concerned each season with defections just based on what we've seen in recent history.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Are you talking defections before signing after they verballed or are you talking about retention after they start with the program? Or both?

ISXBISON
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Are you talking defections before signing after they verballed or are you talking about retention after they start with the program? Or both?

I was thinking both. The talent that is in this class along along with the redshirts coming in may have an affect on some of the upper classmen feeling they will not be getting enough PT making them look elsewhere, possibly hurting our depth and not giving these classes time to develop.
Just a thought.

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
As for the Defections before signing day. I am surprised we have not lost anyone yet. Last fall I figured there would be a few and so far none!!!!!!

As for retention after they are here. We will definitely see some. I was actually quite surprised we only lost one at the semester break. Injuries and leaving will cost us a few. It will be interesting to see the retention numbers in 4 years. Someone on another thread had the numbers figured out for the last two classes and wasn't it something like 30%???????

bisonhusker
02-02-2010, 06:32 PM
We are going to have some smaller classes that are upperclassman. If they are worried about an incoming freshman coming in, then they are probably not as good as we need them to be. I think we are a year away from being where we need to be, but we are getting closer. These last two classes look amazing (on paper). Also, I do not think we lost anyone from last year's big class. That is a great start. They had several kids as key contributors already, and the redshirts sounded like they had some great years. Should be fun.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 06:54 PM
As for the Defections before signing day. I am surprised we have not lost anyone yet. Last fall I figured there would be a few and so far none!!!!!!

As for retention after they are here. We will definitely see some. I was actually quite surprised we only lost one at the semester break. Injuries and leaving will cost us a few. It will be interesting to see the retention numbers in 4 years. Someone on another thread had the numbers figured out for the last two classes and wasn't it something like 30%???????

This is why I asked what was being discussed.

As for defections, Bohl seems to be really good at locking down the verbals and not having them de-commit. That has always been a strength of his.

As for retention, that is another matter. His first class has very good retention, since then, not so good.

The 2007 class is pretty good and as BH stated, no one from the 2009 class has left yet, which is unprecendented.

However, the 06 class that will be seniors and the 08 class that will be soph both have well over 30% attrition. I have read from mulitple sources, none official, that successful schools in DI run about 20-25% attrition. The 06 and 08 class attrition means that depth could still be lacking for the 2010 squad since 2/3 upper classes have fewer athletes as a result of the attrition rate.

So, here is to hoping the 2010 class is more like 04, 07 and 09!!

Kermit
02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
The 06 and 08 class attrition means that depth could still be lacking for the 2010 squad since 2/3 upper classes have fewer athletes as a result of the attrition rate.

Agree. The last two classes appear to be loaded, but that means there will be a lot of talent that is not yet ready to see the field. I think the Bison are probably still a year away. Next year's recruiting class will probably be significantly smaller--another one of the reasons why it was CRUCIAL that this year's class have quality and depth.

coloradobison
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Based on the roster on Gobison.com, the senior class next year is about 21, and the junior class is about 10. Last year's class was large, and this years looks to be large as well, so next year might be considerably smaller, but we will lose quite a few with next year's senior class.

Kermit
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Based on the roster on Gobison.com, the senior class next year is about 21, and the junior class is about 10. Last year's class was large, and this years looks to be large as well, so next year might be considerably smaller, but we will lose quite a few with next year's senior class.

Looking at that roster, there were in fact 21 juniors last year. About five of that bunch are likely getting little or no scholarship money. Two others(Woods and Rogers) were JC transfers who didn't play last year. Neither had redshirted, so both could conceivably be listed as juniors again this season.

tjbison
02-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions!!!!

Woden
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Looking at that roster, there were in fact 21 juniors last year. About five of that bunch are likely getting little or no scholarship money. Two others(Woods and Rogers) were JC transfers who didn't play last year. Neither had redshirted, so both could conceivably be listed as juniors again this season.

Is there really only 10 will-be Juniors? I know a few JUCO's will step into the class, but recruiting will suffer if only 10 or so scholarships open up after that class is done.

In all honesty you should hope a few players from last year's and this year's class leave the program, or recruiting will be very difficult in two years.