PDA

View Full Version : Vraa to UNI?? (nope, NDSU)

OnTheFifty
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I hope this is a typo.

Zach Vraa Rosemount - Northern Iowa

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14314045

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
What The Faaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!

EndZoneQB
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
They could be confused because his teammate Busher is going to UNI.......or Busher talked Vraa into coming with him??

Bison Dan
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
They could be confused because his teammate Busher is going to UNI.......or Busher talked Vraa into coming with him??

Either way it isn't the end of the world.

Grizzled
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I hope this is a typo.

Is our signing of the Wisconsin receiver a response to this?

Gotta agree with Dan though, we will be fine without him. There are about 3 other athletes in this class who could play receiver.

westnodak93bison
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
rivals still says solid verbal NDSU

Hambone
02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I would be surprised if he changed to go to UNI and someone didn't hear anything about it. Wasn't academics (or his potential major) part of the reason he chose SU? Or does UNI have that? Or am I thinking of someone else?

westnodak93bison
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Is our signing of the Wisconsin receiver a response to this?

Gotta agree with Dan though, we will be fine without him. There are about 3 other athletes in this class who could play receiver.

What WI receiver?

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
What WI receiver?

Osceola (WI) WR Tevin Pittman (6-4, 193).

He verballed according to Marlin.

Hambone
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
What WI receiver?

This one

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16619&page=140

http://www.wissports.net/sports/football/teamplayer.asp?pid=114307&tid=1270

Civil06
I would be surprised if he changed to go to UNI and someone didn't hear anything about it. Wasn't academics (or his potential major) part of the reason he chose SU? Or does UNI have that? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah, he was talking about the 5-year master's program for architecture. UNI doesn't offer architecture.

rutlandbison
well that would kinda suck....... but not the end of the world. I kind like the new guy better. Tall and big. Hopefully he has some speed.

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I think it's a typo. I couldn't find any info on Vraa commiting to UNI on Panther Nation and I'd think their fan base would know if a kid of Vraa's caliber committed.

Kermit
02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Vraa has stated he was coming to NDSU for architecture. Does UNI even have architecture?

http://www.kare11.com/news/local/mornings/sunrise_article.aspx?storyid=838605&catid=16

Zach's propensity for planning even carried-over to the recruiting process for college football.

"The NDSU program has an architecture major and you can get a masters there in 5-years and I'm hoping to do that", Zach says.

A member of the National Honor Society with a 3.7 GPA, Zach knows that like it or not, he's become something of a role model in Rosemount. And as such, Zach says having athletic ability is great, but without a similar effort in classroom it can be wasted.

Castor Troy
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I think it's a typo. I couldn't find any info on Vraa commiting to UNI on Panther Nation and I'd think their fan base would know if a kid of Vraa's caliber committed.

Yeah, I found nothing over there as well. They would gloat if they got him, but I am sure they referred to him as their "leftovers" when they didn't get him.

Kermit
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Vraa has stated he was coming to NDSU for architecture. Does UNI even have architecture?

http://www.kare11.com/news/local/mornings/sunrise_article.aspx?storyid=838605&catid=16

Doesn't look like UNI has an architecture major. I am cautiously hopeful that this is some kind of a mistake.

http://www.uni.edu/majors/alpha.shtml#a

bisonhusker
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Well, it isn't April 1st, but I am seriously wondering if this is a mistake. It could be. Some random reporter getting his MVFC schools mixed up.

But, we did get another receiver. 3 in one class isn't a ton. We aren't deep at receiver. But, his good buddy did verbal to UNI, but they don't even have an architecture program. He was loving our 5 year master's program, and this kid is smart. He knows the value of an education.

Hope this is a simple mistake. I was told that Vraa was a "difference maker" at this level. I would say that I would be VERY disappointed to lose him.

I do like 6'4 WR's too.

JacksFan06
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I found nothing over there as well. They would gloat if they got him, but I am sure they referred to him as their "leftovers" when they didn't get him.

Yeah, it's not like Bison fans would ever praise Vraa as the jewel to their great recruiting class, and than the instant a typo comes out saying he is going to UNI turnaround and say "We didn't really need him" "I like the Wisconsin receiver better because he's an inch taller" etc, etc...

bisonhusker
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it's not like Bison fans would ever praise Vraa as the jewel to their great recruiting class, and than the instant a typo comes out saying he is going to UNI turnaround and say "We didn't really need him" "I like the Wisconsin receiver better because he's an inch taller" etc, etc...

I agree. NDSU needs to realize how good Vraa really is. We focused our WR recruiting on him and Gebhart from Sioux Falls. They are big and athletic kids who could really make a difference. He is a top 5 kid in this class for sure. I really hope/think this may be a typo.

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM

+++++++++++++++++
NO KIDDING!

westnodak93bison
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Dont you have your own board? Go away.

SiouxFan
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I hope this is a typo.

You have to admit it is interesting timing. NDSU just got a WR commit from a unknown prospect in the same time frame we hear about Vraa and UNI. Plus, NDSU already had 24 verbals-which is a high number. If both are coming then I would assume there will be some roster/scholarship cutting come May.

We will have to wait until tomorrow to find out. Signing day is always fun!

DjKyRo
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Dont you have your own board? Go away.

He does have a point - kind of a bummer to see guys so ready to jump ship on the guy.

At any rate, I get more skeptical of this situation as I read on. Had to ahve just been a misprint.

westnodak93bison
02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I checked panthernation and saw nothing about Vraa.

rutlandbison
02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
hold on a sec. I never said that I didn't like Vraa. He's probably going to be a good reciever and if this is true it's gonna suck. It's a good thing we got that Wisconson reciever better. When I said that I didn't realize that Vraa was listed at 6'3", so I never should have said that. Who's saying we didn't need him by the way? We need him alright, the way some of our recievers have been playing. Showed some flashes last year but we need better than flashes. You know, you're starting to become a real jackass on this board.

JacksFan06
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
hold on a sec. I never said that I didn't like Vraa. He's probably going to be a good reciever and if this is true it's gonna suck. It's a good thing we got that Wisconson reciever better. When I said that I didn't realize that Vraa was listed at 6'3", so I never should have said that. Who's saying we didn't need him by the way? We need him alright, the way some of our recievers have been playing. Showed some flashes last year but we need better than flashes. You know, you're starting to become a real jackass on this board.

"Starting" to be jackass, I thought that was always my title?

Sorry if it offended you, just pointing out a contradictory statement that UNI would've considered Vraa a "leftover" recruit and now that he might not be going to NDSU people were quickly jumping on the "no big deal" train when previously he was considered a very big deal.

Maybe you're right,
It's a good thing we got that Wisconson reciever better.

SDbison
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I sent a quick e-mail to the writer of this story in the Pioneer Press and asked him if it was a typo as Vraa did verbal to NDSU. Interesting to see if the guy replies back.

met1990
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Hallstrom has a brief mention of it: http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=69938

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
It would suck to lose him but I remember reading a article about how he really liked architecture. It would be interesting move since UNI does not have architecture. Just makes me go hmmm. There is no love loss now between Farley and Bohl this would not mend that fence anytime soon.:) :) :)

Herd80
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I didn't put as much stock in the rumor until Steve mentioned it....which usually means the rumor has some substance. Hope not.

Grizzled
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Suprised lakes hasn't gotten a text message yet!!!!!!

SDbison
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I didn't put as much stock in the rumor until Steve mentioned it....which usually means the rumor has some substance. Hope not.
Nothing Steve said made it more or less true. He just said Pioneer Press usually does a great job, but may not check the non-FBS recruit information as closely. Nothing decisive there.
As for the comment that the recent WR pick up may be to replace Vraa........well using that logic guess NDSU must be losing a RB too because an already loaded position at NDSU just picked up another verbal from a RB recruit.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Losing Vraa would really suck. Bohl had been doing well with head to head recruiting with UNI this year. I hope this isn't a step backwards to the old days.

The kid from WI is a one year wonder with very few catches in his junior year. Hard to believe he is an adequate substitute for someone like Vraa. I hope the PP and Hallstrom are wrong.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Nothing Steve said made it more or less true. He just said Pioneer Press usually does a great job, but may not check the non-FBS recruit information as closely. Nothing decisive there.
As for the comment that the recent WR pick up may be to replace Vraa........well using that logic guess NDSU must be losing a RB too because an already loaded position at NDSU just picked up another verbal from a RB recruit.

Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense, unless of course these last two recruits are splitting the full ride Vraa would have gotten.

NDSUstudent
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
A poster over at SDSU's board that has talked with his high school head coach seems to think this is a mistake. Also I never heard of UNI recruiting or offering Vraa.

Plus the Star Trib wrote this on January 26

• Several metro-area football standouts have given verbal commitments to college programs: Eden Prairie's Taylor Grant (North Dakota), Rosemount's Max Busher (Northern Iowa) and Zach Vraa (North Dakota State), and Wayzata's Daryl Brown (North Dakota

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/82651532.html?page=2&c=y

Unless Sid was doing the fact checking I would say the Star Trib is just as credible as the Pioneer Press.

ISXBISON
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Rivals still has him coming here/solid verbal. No mention of Northern Iowa.
Hopefully this is the case!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsinpreps/football/recruiting/player-Zach-Vraa-94023

coloradobison
02-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I sent a quick e-mail to the writer of this story in the Pioneer Press and asked him if it was a typo as Vraa did verbal to NDSU. Interesting to see if the guy replies back.

Keep us up to date!

NDSUstudent
02-02-2010, 05:21 PM
This has to be a mistake...This was seven days ago....

http://www.kare11.org/life/community/schools/academic/academic_article.aspx?storyid=838605

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Rivals still has him coming here/solid verbal. No mention of Northern Iowa.
Hopefully this is the case!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsinpreps/football/recruiting/player-Zach-Vraa-94023

Plus, UNI isn't even listed on the site as showing interest much less offering a scholie.

OrygunBison
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Maybe someone told him that architecture isn't going to be a very good field to be in for the next 10 years or so. I feel very sorry for anyone coming out of school right now.

Sorry for the tangent...

SDbison
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Keep us up to date!
This is what I just got in an e-mail from the PP writer:
Sorry. Our mistake. It is still North Dakota State
Tim Leighton
Pioneer Press
Everybody breathe a sigh of relief!

met1990
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks SD for checking on it.

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM

:rofl: those are the kind of posts i were really lookin for.

its like when it comes to big time recruiting..

fan of team that lost out on a big time kid: doesnt matter the star, its how he produces on the field.

KilldeerBison
02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Great News!! Thanks SD.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Tim Leighton
Pioneer Press

Bless your heart for the follow up.

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Tim Leighton
Pioneer Press

ok so cue back up " hes goin to be great for the bison":D

bisonhusker
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Yep, spoke with Hallstrom. He is going to post on his blog later today that Vraa will be signing tomorrow with NDSU.

Also of note, it sounds like this kid we just got yesterday from Wisconsin is a really big kid (6'4) and has alot of upside. 11 TD's in a non throwing offense. Good ball skills. He will be a walk on.

BisonNeil
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Yep, spoke with Hallstrom. He is going to post on his blog later today that Vraa will be signing tomorrow with NDSU.

Also of note, it sounds like this kid we just got yesterday from Wisconsin is a really big kid (6'4) and has alot of upside. 11 TD's in a non throwing offense. Good ball skills. He will be a walk on.

I was kind of wondering about that, or a partial. He had only 9 recs as a junior, so not exactly the career that would suggest a full ride. Could be a nice addition, however.

ISXBISON
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Nice work SD.
Glad to hear Vraa is still coming!

HandoEX
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
This kid is going to be a star.

This kid is going to be great for the Bison.

:D

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I received the same email as SD, I had wrote him early this AM to see. Kind of surprised to get a response.

Grizzled
02-02-2010, 06:17 PM

I thought it was a valid point. One person backing out at any FBS school can have a waterfall effect and cause any FCS school to lose a commitment. It happens and if you pay attention to the big boys signing day tommorow there will be a few guys that where thought to be going somewhere that sign somewhere else.

DORMIE
02-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I really like the size of our soon to be Fr and RFr wide outs:
6-4 Nick Powell-Calhoun
6-2 Cooper Wahlo Jr
6-2 Zach Vraa
6-2 Trevor Gebhardt
6-4 Tevit Pittman

Bison Dan
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I wish the mods would close this thread - everytime bisonhusker sees it his heart skips a beat.......

GOB1SON
02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I really like the size of our soon to be Fr and RFr wide outs:
6-4 Nick Powell-Calhoun
6-2 Cooper Wahlo Jr
6-2 Zach Vraa
6-2 Trevor Gebhardt
6-4 Tevit Pittman

Quite size difference from the White, Burrell, and Johnson days.

DjKyRo
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Just to get this in before it inevitably gets locked, utilizing my newfound generic-answer-clips! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmb0F00YPE&feature=related

Glad to hear you're sticking around Zach, we should never have doubted you. ;)

1 day!!!!!!

Herd
02-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I'd take another 5'11 Travis White. A playmaker is a playmaker at any size. The Artz kid from late 90's was what, 5'8 . . . he had great effrot and just made plays.

Twentysix
02-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Losing Vraa would really suck. Bohl had been doing well with head to head recruiting with UNI this year. I hope this isn't a step backwards to the old days.

The kid from WI is a one year wonder with very few catches in his junior year. Hard to believe he is an adequate substitute for someone like Vraa. I hope the PP and Hallstrom are wrong.

How dare you use the double P's in vain!

North Side
02-03-2010, 05:01 AM
I'd take another 5'11 Travis White. A playmaker is a playmaker at any size. The Artz kid from late 90's was what, 5'8 . . . he had great effrot and just made plays.

same here i like smaller WRs

Bryan
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Whew, glad to see that he is a star recruit again.