PDA

View Full Version : FBS players by state.

WRSDBison
02-01-2010, 03:50 AM
I found this rather interesting. I didn't realize Quale was the only ND player in FBS.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2010/recruits/starsearch.aspx#intmap

56BISON73
02-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Recuits per state---

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/items/starsearchstatesoverall.pdf

North Side
02-01-2010, 04:48 AM
I am kinda surprised that Alaska is ahead of us. ND is only above Vermont and Wyoming in population, but I think its kinda deceiving because Wyoming got its own FBS college in state. I am guessing almost all those players play for the cowboys.

For what its worth looking at states that don't have FBS schools.

Delaware 16 (borders 3 states with FBS programs)
Montanna 13 (2)
Alaska 10 (0)
New Hampshire 9 (1)
South Dakota 5 (4)
Rhode Island 3 (2)
Vermont 2 (2)
North Dakota 1 (1)
Maine 1 (0)

IzzyFlexion
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I am kinda surprised that Alaska is ahead of us. ND is only above Vermont and Wyoming in population, but I think its kinda deceiving because Wyoming got its own FBS college in state. I am guessing almost all those players play for the cowboys.

Montanna 13 (2)
Alaska 10 (0)
New Hampshire 9 (1)
South Dakota 5 (4)
Rhode Island 3 (2)
Vermont 2 (2)
North Dakota 1 (1) St. Olaf???
Maine 1 (0)

godhateswalmart
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Montanna 13 (2)
Alaska 10 (0)
New Hampshire 9 (1)
South Dakota 5 (4)
Rhode Island 3 (2)
Vermont 2 (2)
North Dakota 1 (1)
Maine 1 (0)

Alaska being ahead of North Dakota should really not be all that surprising. Anchorage has a population, just about equal to that of half the state of North Dakota. Which does not include some of the military people stationed in the area. It also has Fairbanks which is about the size of Fargo. I am sorry to say most FBS Talent comes from big schools, not from Hope-Page-Clifford-Galesburg like schools.

tony
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I think the number of FBS signees is different than the number of kids with FBS talent. I don't care how big the school is but "talent" isn't distributed so unevenly that Texas has 92 times as many kids with FBS talent per capita as Maine.

godhateswalmart
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I think the number of FBS signees is different than the number of kids with FBS talent. I don't care how big the school is but "talent" isn't distributed so unevenly that Texas has 92 times as many kids with FBS talent per capita as Maine.
Tony, does Maine produce 92 times more div. 1 hockey players than texas?

tony
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Tony, does Maine produce 92 times more div. 1 hockey players than texas?

Hockey is a regional sport while football is national. So, sure, per capita there are probably 1000 times more kids playing hockey in Maine but I'd be very surprised if there was much a difference in the number of kids playing football - Texas kids don't go out for football at 100 time the rate of kids in Maine.

godhateswalmart
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Hockey is a regional sport while football is national. So, sure, per capita there are probably 1000 times more kids playing hockey in Maine but I'd be very surprised if there was much a difference in the number of kids playing football - kids don't go out for football at 100x the rate of kids in Maine.
This may be true. However, football is almost year round in Texas. The same way hockey is year round in Maine

tjbison
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Alaska being ahead of North Dakota should really not be all that surprising. Anchorage has a population, just about equal to that of half the state of North Dakota. Which does not include some of the military people stationed in the area. It also has Fairbanks which is about the size of Fargo. I am sorry to say most FBS Talent comes from big schools, not from Hope-Page-Clifford-Galesburg like schools.

Anchorage is bigger, but not much, Fairbanks isn't even close. I had family that lived in Anchorage for 20plus years and they put a good emphasis on FB where in ND in Fargo and GF its Hockey and BBall, that explains alot. If Fargo had the FB programs in place that the youngins have for Hockey there would be DI talent every year.

Anchoarage - 279,243
ND - 641,500

Faribanks - 35,132 city, MSA- 97,970
Fargo - 99,200 city, MSA - 200,000-225,000

Look at Wyoming

Cheyenne is only like 70,000 total and its their biggest city Wyoming as a whole is around 540,000 for the state. Population helps but it isn't the major thing

godhateswalmart
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Anchorage is bigger, but not much, Fairbanks isn't even close. I had family that lived in Anchorage for 20plus years and they put a good emphasis on FB where in ND in Fargo and GF its Hockey and BBall, that explains alot. If Fargo had the FB programs in place that the youngins have for Hockey there would be DI talent every year.

Anchoarage - 279,243
ND - 641,500

Faribanks - 35,132 city, MSA- 97,970
Fargo - 99,200 city, MSA - 200,000-225,000

Look at Wyoming

Cheyenne is only like 70,000 total and its their biggest city Wyoming as a whole is around 540,000 for the state. Population helps but it isn't the major thing

I lived in Alaska for 5 years. Fairbanks is a very culturally diverse place with all the military personal. Same goes for Anchorage. with all your numbers where is the MSA for Anchorage or did that not help prove your point. Besides it is warmer in Anchorage than Fargo in the winter:hide:

North Side
02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Besides it is warmer in Anchorage than Fargo in the winter:hide:

sadly I think your right...

Herd
02-01-2010, 11:54 PM
So guys like Roehl, Wurtzbacher, Buchman, Jangula, etc, etc, etc . . . can't make an FBS roster? Yeah right, give me a break! Someone call Tulsa and get them on the schedule.

If the survey was DI, then I'd look at it. But this survey out of Tulsa is F(n)BS. Thankfully there are lots of dynamics that keep a lot of good players in ND . . . in-state playing DI at the FCS level. I'm thankful for that.

tjbison
02-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I lived in Alaska for 5 years. Fairbanks is a very culturally diverse place with all the military personal. Same goes for Anchorage. with all your numbers where is the MSA for Anchorage or did that not help prove your point. Besides it is warmer in Anchorage than Fargo in the winter:hide:

sorry dude that IS the population for Anchorage, and WTF does the temps have to do with it, I just gave you facts in a response that Population doesn't mean Sh!t in FBS players

Kemo
02-04-2010, 05:49 AM

That reminds me of a text message I got during the winter of '03-'04 from a high school friend who attended NDSU. I don't remember what the exact figures were, but it went something like this: "-47 degrees = the current temperature in the North Pole; -50 degree = the current temperature in Fargo... IT'S COLDER WHERE I LIVE THAN THE FU@KING NORTH POLE!"

SamsRams
02-04-2010, 05:57 AM
I wish American Somoa would have been incorporated in that chart.

godhateswalmart
02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
sorry dude that IS the population for Anchorage, and WTF does the temps have to do with it, I just gave you facts in a response that Population doesn't mean Sh!t in FBS players
Well what i was saying is that with Eagle River, and Wasilla being commuter towns. It might actually be a little higher. And the temps was just a useless fact.

BigDeal
02-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Well what i was saying is that with Eagle River, and Wasilla being commuter towns. It might actually be a little higher. And the temps was just a useless fact.

The median age in Fargo is 30 years. Fairbanks is 28.
Fargo was founded in 1871, Fairbanks in 1910
Both cities start with F, but end in different letters.

TheBisonator
02-05-2010, 06:33 PM
That reminds me of a text message I got during the winter of '03-'04 from a high school friend who attended NDSU. I don't remember what the exact figures were, but it went something like this: "-47 degrees = the current temperature in the North Pole; -50 degree = the current temperature in Fargo... IT'S COLDER WHERE I LIVE THAN THE FU@KING NORTH POLE!"

It was colder in Fargo than Antarctica for quite a while that winter. I remember that winter. Right around MLK Day. It SUCKED.

unbison
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
however nator you are comparing summer to winter

EndZoneQB
02-05-2010, 10:47 PM
It was colder in Fargo than Antarctica for quite a while that winter. I remember that winter. Right around MLK Day. It SUCKED.

That's because its the Summer in Antarctica while its the winter here.

however nator you are comparing summer to winter

Damnit, missed that lol

Hammerhead
02-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I always figured it was the short season that kept N.D players from signing with FBS teams, but it can't be much better in MT, WY, and AK.