Scooter1
01-29-2010, 12:26 AM
here are some videos of the kid.

highlight 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJR3C_d6Ow

highlight 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIhBozbwtM&feature=related

Camp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu-KgPmo8RU&feature=related

EndZoneQB
01-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Looks good, definitely an open field runner, but he has *some* size. I see some room for improvement in the balance department, which will likely come with strength training and just more work. He will be fun to watch.

westnodak93bison
01-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Certainly looks like he has potential. Looks solid but has room to grow as well I think. Coach Polasek will get him polished up. On a side note, I dont think Polasek has got enough recognition for coaching up 3 backs that have/will get NFL looks. Steffes, Roehl, & PP.

westnodak93bison
01-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Anyone know of he runs track? Would be interesting to watch him through the TX track season.

NDSUFan_Sav
01-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Wesley Hudson was the guy that visited the same time as Fred Jackson, couldn't remember the name but once seeing it here I recalled it. He said he had never seen snow before, hope he got use to it quick :D

Castor Troy
01-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Anyone know of he runs track? Would be interesting to watch him through the TX track season.

Apparently he does run track, but the fastest time I found for him was 11.44. But that was in March of last year. I bet he has gone under 11.00 in his career.

DORMIE
01-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Hopefully, another diamond in the rough!

bisonmike2
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Certainly looks like he has potential. Looks solid but has room to grow as well I think. Coach Polasek will get him polished up. On a side note, I dont think Polasek has got enough recognition for coaching up 3 backs that have/will get NFL looks. Steffes, Roehl, & PP.

That's a great point. Some of it is the kids coming in have a lot of talent, but also if you compare these kids from when they began their career, to when they ended it, you can defiantly see some coached improvement. Pat became an elite runner last year and I thought DJ made huge strides his running sytle too.

Jdubs21
01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
His Rb abilities need work but with those hands he's gonna make an amazing receiver

unbison
01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
His Rb abilities need work but with those hands he's gonna make an amazing receiver
wel well may may maybe your running back abilities n n ne nee need work

bisonmike2
01-29-2010, 05:47 PM
wel well may may maybe your running back abilities n n ne nee need work

Everybody knows you never go full retard.

tjbison
01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Everybody knows you never go full retard.

I just noticed your avatar, thats f'in funny right there!!!!

EndZoneQB
01-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Honestly, I wasn't impressed by his hands in traffic. I saw a lot of the passes bouncing off his HAND, and he didn't seem to attack the ball in the air. It'll probably take him some time to transition as it looks like he played mostly QB in HS. He does have quick feet and smooth hips so thats a big benefit. He's not a physical runner, but will be fun to watch with screens and what not. Most of all, he's an athlete, that is likely suited to play either side of the ball.

Just my .02 of breakdown.

KilldeerBison
01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
I'll take anyone that can run a sub 4.5, that kind of speed is nice! Welcome to NDSU Wesley.

OldBison
01-29-2010, 09:17 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++:D

westnodak93bison
01-30-2010, 01:14 AM
imho, glad he verballed. Looks to have potential and I think that is all you can really ask. How would he have performed at Fargo South, Bismarck, Edina etc. ? Who knows but I'll speculate he would have done well and the Kevin Feeney's and Mark Gibson's of the world would love to have him. Seems to have good quickness and speed. He will get a legit chance to be coached up and most likely get the chance to run behind a great line as well as get opportunities to play special teams, WR etc. As an armchair football fan there are a couple things I can see that need improvement and that is the way he carries the ball and maybe can run a little lower. Seems to leave it hanging out there and may be prone to fumbles when playing D1 defenses.

DjKyRo
01-30-2010, 05:36 AM
DISCLAIMER: anger-filled post.

THE GOOD: This kid is fast, and you can never have enough speed on a team. Stats are a bit less than what you'd like to see but again, an < 4.5 40 is legit.

THE BAD: WTF are we still recruiting RBs for?! Does Bohl recognize that we have a butt-ton of very able players at this position for the next 3-4 years?! Does he not realize we need to fill what scholarship(s) we have left with A KICKER?! CAPS RAGE!!!!!

....anyhow, welcome to the team Wesley!

DIBISON
01-30-2010, 06:22 AM
imho, glad he verballed. Looks to have potential and I think that is all you can really ask. How would he have performed at Fargo South, Bismarck, Edina etc. ? Who knows but I'll speculate he would have done well and the Kevin Feeney's and Mark Gibson's of the world would love to have him. Seems to have good quickness and speed. He will get a legit chance to be coached up and most likely get the chance to run behind a great line as well as get opportunities to play special teams, WR etc. As an armchair football fan there are a couple things I can see that need improvement and that is the way he carries the ball and maybe can run a little lower. Seems to leave it hanging out there and may be prone to fumbles when playing D1 defenses.

FS & Bismarck don't have athletes like Wesley. Once he's in the Bison program he'll show great improvement on the field.

cvbison1
01-30-2010, 06:22 AM

THE GOOD: This kid is fast, and you can never have enough speed on a team. Stats are a bit less than what you'd like to see but again, an < 4.5 40 is legit.

THE BAD: WTF are we still recruiting RBs for?! Does Bohl recognize that we have a butt-ton of very able players at this position for the next 3-4 years?! Does he not realize we need to fill what scholarship(s) we have left with A KICKER?! CAPS RAGE!!!!!

a few of these guys might not play running back once they are a Bison. i highly doubt ryan smith plays running back. i'll take all the athletes we can get.

Bison_Pride
01-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Did his verbal mention anything about a full ride? Maybe he's being brought in on a partial and has a chance to make it a full if he pans out to his potential. I also see him being used at another position, DB or receiver.

tjbison
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure i'm following?? Whats wrong with having him? He played RB, WR and QB?? he is a multi-position athlete. You can't have enough of those on the team relax also I'm just fine with having a crapload of RB's they are the most likely position to get hurt and the backbone of our offense

rutlandbison
01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure i'm following?? Whats wrong with having him? He played RB, WR and QB?? he is a multi-position athlete. You can't have enough of those on the team relax also I'm just fine with having a crapload of RB's they are the most likely position to get hurt and the backbone of our offense
BOOYAAA!!!

Scooter1
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM

I agree with you. We need athletes.

When the linebackers get depleted we need to be able to pull this kid's redshirt on a weeks notice to play defense.:)

I liked how this guy consistently made the first guy miss.

BisonNeil
01-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Did his verbal mention anything about a full ride? Maybe he's being brought in on a partial and has a chance to make it a full if he pans out to his potential.

Possible, but highly improbable. Partials are realistic for ND, SD and MN kids because they are paying in state tuition ($270-280/credit). Half of the out of state tuition Hudson would have to pay is a big ticket (out of state $650/cr), one I highly doubt kids in TX, AZ, CA or IL could afford.

IzzyFlexion
01-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree with you. We need athletes. When the linebackers get depleted we need to be able to pull this kid's redshirt on a weeks notice to play defense.:)

I liked how this guy consistently made the first guy miss.

Agree X1000.
Plus, with the videos posted earlier, SDSU fans might be able to pass some ideas on to their administrators as to a big time stadium should look.:D

56BISON73
01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Possible, but highly improbable. Partials are realistic for ND, SD and MN kids because they are paying in state tuition ($270-280/credit). Half of the out of state tuition Hudson would have to pay is a big ticket (out of state $650/cr), one I highly doubt kids in TX, AZ, CA or IL could afford.

Are you sure that out of state athletes are charged the full rate?
The othr question is if students who are non athletes can pay that type of tuition why wouldnt students who are athletes?

Mr. Burgundy
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM

My disclaimer: I know you are just in the band, but you are being critical of a Texas 5A first team all conference player who had multiple D1 offers, ran a 4.32 and on paper may be our best recruit of the batch? I simply do not understand. Do you really think we won't sign a kicker? Really? How about I tell you this much, on Wednesday we will have a kicker. You cannot add enough skill talent. This kid is a multi position FREAK. Have you read some of the stuff on him? Get a rivals account. There are several articles from indepentant sources that state he is a physical freak. I know this is "on paper" but you can't teach speed. This kid has it.

I want a kicker just like everyone does, but just because we get an absolute stud the week leading up to signing day does not mean you question this kid.

Remember, several of the kids we have verballed so far this year are on partials. Coaches know exactly where they are at. We are going to be a very young team, with two back to back large and talented classes. It wasn't like this kid was a reach. Sorry for the rant, but I don't understand how signing this kid has anything but positive reactions. He has 4-5 years to improve.

Grizzled
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Who where the other offers? I couldn't find anything. I agree the kid is an athlete that has played against some of the top competition a high school kid could play against. Don't know about a 4.32 but he is fast. I'm thinking more of a receiver than rb but its nice when you have multiple positions a kid could play.

56BISON73
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Bohl has already said they are bringing in a kicker.

As far as running backs it doesnt take but a few injuries to decimate an offenses production. If you watched the Orange Bowl the Freshmen running backs by the name of Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher that played for Iowa were actually the 3rd team runnning backs until injuries gave them an opportunity very early in the season. You can never have too many players in the skill positions.

Mr. Burgundy
01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Here are his other offers from a rivals article back in April of 2009. Keep in mind this kid played behind a RB that went to TCU. Then played multiple positions, keeping his stats modest, and allowing a school like NDSU to get him.

Another talented find in Houston is Floyd Mattison of Katy Morton Ranch, who recently picked up an offer from Rice. The 6-foot safety reached the regional track meet in three events and is also being recruited heavily by Oklahoma State, Colorado State, New Mexico and Iowa State. Running back Wesley Hudson has been offered by Stoneybrook and Northern Arizona.

Mr. Burgundy
01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Who where the other offers? I couldn't find anything. I agree the kid is an athlete that has played against some of the top competition a high school kid could play against. Don't know about a 4.32 but he is fast. I'm thinking more of a receiver than rb but its nice when you have multiple positions a kid could play.

I agree, and I hope we move him around like a young DJ McNorton until he is ready to carry the ball. I hope all of these kids are able to redshirt. I found several independant scouting services that raved about this kid. Last July he went to a camp in Texas that was called the National Underclassman Combine/Southwest Ultimate 100 and they named a top 11 to that camp. He was listed as the best of the rest after the top 11 were listed. He was the only RB listed. Impressive. Basically no RB's above him at the camp. If he runs anything close to the reported 4.32 that is listed, that is nuts. He is used to high end competition, and year round football. You can't not be excited about talent like this.

godhateswalmart
01-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Here are his other offers from a rivals article back in April of 2009. Keep in mind this kid played behind a RB that went to TCU. Then played multiple positions, keeping his stats modest, and allowing a school like NDSU to get him.

Another talented find in Houston is Floyd Mattison of Katy Morton Ranch, who recently picked up an offer from Rice. The 6-foot safety reached the regional track meet in three events and is also being recruited heavily by Oklahoma State, Colorado State, New Mexico and Iowa State. Running back Wesley Hudson has been offered by Stoneybrook and Northern Arizona.

How much does this sunshine cost? Would like you to bottle me up some and ship up north it is fricking cold

DjKyRo
01-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Allow me to clarify my earlier post - in no way, shape, or form do I resent Wesley's verbal to NDSU. It's solid that we can attract a great all-around player and as has been said, you can never have enough good athletes on a team. I simply wonder aloud as to Bohl's reasoning - but hey, we could sure do worse.

Once again, stoked to (hopefully come signing day! :)) have Wes as a Bison!

BisonNeil
01-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Are you sure that out of state athletes are charged the full rate?
The othr question is if students who are non athletes can pay that type of tuition why wouldnt students who are athletes?

I am quite certain that is the case. Just because you are an athlete doesn't mean you get special treatment such as a break on tuition rates, in fact, the NCAA forbids it. They have to be treated, in this sense, as a regular student.

NDSUs student base is a regional university, as most are other than the big time schools from UMN to Stanford, from UCLA to Harvard, etc., etc. NDSU is not on a prospective student's radar from these states that NDSU recruits in. So, a non-athlete could afford it, but it is highly improbable they will come. My point is that an athlete like Hudson is much more likely to go to a TX school on a half or full ride than come to NDSU on a half ride. Just my opinion, given the tuition rate he would have to pay.

CarringtonBison
01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
I am quite certain that is the case. Just because you are an athlete doesn't mean you get special treatment such as a break on tuition rates, in fact, the NCAA forbids it. They have to be treated, in this sense, as a regular student.

NDSUs student base is a regional university, as most are other than the big time schools from UMN to Stanford, from UCLA to Harvard, etc., etc. NDSU is not on a prospective student's radar from these states that NDSU recruits in. So, a non-athlete could afford it, but it is highly improbable they will come. My point is that an athlete like Hudson is much more likely to go to a TX school on a half or full ride than come to NDSU on a half ride. Just my opinion, given the tuition rate he would have to pay.

However, this would only be for the first year. After the first year, he can establish residency and then pay in-state tuition.

I would assume that a scholarship would cover all tuition-whether it is in-state or out-of-state tuition, as well as books and fees.

Mr. Burgundy
01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Carrington Bison, I see that UND got a verbal from a Carrington kid. You know anything about him? I haven't heard of him.

56BISON73
01-31-2010, 10:25 PM
However, this would only be for the first year. After the first year, he can establish residency and then pay in-state tuition.

I would assume that a scholarship would cover all tuition-whether it is in-state or out-of-state tuition, as well as books and fees.

Yes it does.

If he establishes residency in ND then I dont think his parents can claim him as a dependent for taxes????

tjbison
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes it does.

If he establishes residency in ND then I dont think his parents can claim him as a dependent for taxes????

nope, as long as he is attending school, he can be claimed under parents taxes and Insurance as far as I know, for example I have friends that attended school in MN and they were still covered one gained MN residency for one reason or another and it didn't affect him because he is a student. That may have changed now also. But I doubt it as Legally if you live in a state for 30 days I believe you are required to get that state drivers license.

56BISON73
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM

http://www.fgcu.edu/generalcounsel/Files/TW_002_Student_Athlete_Out_of_State.pdf

FGCU is in the NCAA.

No. 5 Countable Aid -- Out-of-State Tuition Waivers

An institution may exempt an out-of-state tuition waiver from individual and institutional limits when a student-athlete receives an award based in any degree on athletics ability and another institutional grant only if the student-athlete would have been awarded the out-of-state tuition waiver had the athletically-related grant not been awarded. [References: Bylaws 15.02.4.1 (institutional financial aid) and 15.02.4.3 (exempted institutional financial aid) and 2001 NCAA Convention Proposal No. 16.]

56BISON73
01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
nope, as long as he is attending school, he can be claimed under parents taxes and Insurance as far as I know, for example I have friends that attended school in MN and they were still covered one gained MN residency for one reason or another and it didn't affect him because he is a student. That may have changed now also. But I doubt it as Legally if you live in a state for 30 days I believe you are required to get that state drivers license.

If you live in the state for 30 days and claim residecy you are required to get an in state license. If you arent claiming residency and you are a student I dont believe its required as I never had a ND drivers license.

MONTANA_STATE_2003
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
I agree, and I hope we move him around like a young DJ McNorton until he is ready to carry the ball. I hope all of these kids are able to redshirt. I found several independant scouting services that raved about this kid. Last July he went to a camp in Texas that was called the National Underclassman Combine/Southwest Ultimate 100 and they named a top 11 to that camp. He was listed as the best of the rest after the top 11 were listed. He was the only RB listed. Impressive. Basically no RB's above him at the camp. If he runs anything close to the reported 4.32 that is listed, that is nuts. He is used to high end competition, and year round football. You can't not be excited about talent like this.

WES HUDSON IS AN AMAZING PLAYER I WATCHED HIM PLAY IN THE MAX EMFINGER ALL-AMERICAN BOWL GAME. HE PULLED HIS HAMSTRING HIS JUNIOR YEAR AT THE REGIONALS TRACK MEET THEREFORE HE COULDN'T PLAY SRRING BALL

http://maxemfinger.sharepointsite.com/Lists/2007%20Database/DispForm.aspx?ID=1669

http://nucfootball.blogspot.com/2009/10/top-prospect-analysis-wesley-hudson.html

MONTANA_STATE_2003
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Wesley Hudson was the guy that visited the same time as Fred Jackson, couldn't remember the name but once seeing it here I recalled it. He said he had never seen snow before, hope he got use to it quick :D

WAS HE THE ONE WALKING AROUND WITH THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS HAT?

MONTANA_STATE_2003
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM

WES HUDSON IS AN AMAZING PLAYER I WATCHED HIM PLAY IN THE MAX EMFINGER ALL-AMERICAN BOWL GAME. HE PULLED HIS HAMSTRING HIS JUNIOR YEAR AT THE REGIONALS TRACK MEET THEREFORE HE COULDN'T PLAY SRRING BALL

http://maxemfinger.sharepointsite.co...m.aspx?ID=1669

http://nucfootball.blogspot.com/2009...ey-hudson.html

X-Factor
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM

http://maxemfinger.sharepointsite.co...m.aspx?ID=1669

http://nucfootball.blogspot.com/2009...ey-hudson.html

http://www.ihatethecapslockkey.com/capslockdemotivate.jpg

MONTANA_STATE_2003
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Apparently he does run track, but the fastest time I found for him was 11.44. But that was in March of last year. I bet he has gone under 11.00 in his career.

HE RAN A 22.6 200M AT HIS DISTRICT MEET AND 10.82 100M

CarringtonBison
01-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey Carrington Bison, I see that UND got a verbal from a Carrington kid. You know anything about him? I haven't heard of him.

Devin Barton, OL/DL. He is about 6' 6" and 265ish. Not certain on the weight-big boy though. I think he was asked to walkon at NDSU-took a visit earlier in the fall but not offered. Offered full ride to UND. Am told that he was always a UND fan and the decision was a lot easier when UND offered the full ride.

Good kid, good family. Has good footwork-also starting center on the basketball team.

tjbison
02-01-2010, 01:27 AM

http://maxemfinger.sharepointsite.com/Lists/2007%20Database/DispForm.aspx?ID=1669

http://nucfootball.blogspot.com/2009/10/top-prospect-analysis-wesley-hudson.html

LAKES?????????????????????????????

IzzyFlexion
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Come on down, big winner!!http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/price-is-right-fail.gif

CarringtonBison
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Devin Barton, OL/DL. He is about 6' 6" and 265ish. Not certain on the weight-big boy though. I think he was asked to walkon at NDSU-took a visit earlier in the fall but not offered. Offered full ride to UND. Am told that he was always a UND fan and the decision was a lot easier when UND offered the full ride.

Good kid, good family. Has good footwork-also starting center on the basketball team.

correction-he was not offered full ride to UND. given preferred walk on with chance to earn scholarship $. My bad. Rest is correct though.

BisonNeil
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
An institution may exempt an out-of-state tuition waiver from individual and institutional limits when a student-athlete receives an award based in any degree on athletics ability and another institutional grant only if the student-athlete would have been awarded the out-of-state tuition waiver had the athletically-related grant not been awarded. [References: Bylaws 15.02.4.1 (institutional financial aid) and 15.02.4.3 (exempted institutional financial aid) and 2001 NCAA Convention Proposal No. 16.]

Exactly, that is my point, thanks for finding it. Hopefully you understand what this means.

If Hudson were going to get an in-state waiver for an athletic scholarhship, he had to be eligible to get the same waiver for another reason, such as academics. In other words, athletes cannot be treated differently unless they are eligible for other scholoarships or tuition waivers that other non-athlete students can also compete for.

Castor Troy
02-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks. I have a better time believing that he can ran a 4.32 if he's been clocked at 10.82 for 100 meters. I wonder if Lars has spoken to him about running a little track- preferrably indoors. He would dominate the 60. :nod:

bisonhusker
02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
For a "non track" guy, how fast is he? Under 11 seconds is really good?

tony
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM

It's plenty fast for football. Skyler Jackson from Frazee ran a 10.8 at the MN State Meet last year and set a Class A record.

bisonmike2
02-01-2010, 04:45 PM

I would say that's pretty good. Usain Bolt holds the world record at 9.58, but that's insane. It wasn't really long ago that just getting below 10 at the Olympic level was a huge feat. For a high school kid to get a sub-11, that's pretty good. If Wesley were a woman, a 10.82 would rank just outside of the top 10 times of all-time. (thank you Wikipedia)

westnodak93bison
02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
For reference Alan Burrell ran a 10.22 and I think PP ran a 10.6?

Castor Troy
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Yes, he's fast. If 4.32 is accurate, he's really fast. It looks like he also has some nifty moves, which is a great combination.

Someone mentioned Bolt. Most world class sprinters are under 6' tall and anywhere from 160 to 180 pounds. Usain Bolt is 6'5" and 207, which is huge for a sprinter and makes him even more of a freak.

Grizzled
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes, he's fast. If 4.32 is accurate, he's really fast. It looks like he also has some nifty moves, which is a great combination.

If 4.32 is accurate he would have been the second fastest person at the NFL combine last year and I'm venturing to say would have a lot more than 3 scholorship offers. There are an aweful lot of colleges between Texas and North Dakota.

That is nothing against Wesley as I have stated before I am glad to be getting an athlete such as him. You can't have enough and I think he would make a solid receiver even though I don't know where the coaches plan on playing him.

56BISON73
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Exactly, that is my point, thanks for finding it. Hopefully you understand what this means.

If Hudson were going to get an in-state waiver for an athletic scholarhship, he had to be eligible to get the same waiver for another reason, such as academics. In other words, athletes cannot be treated differently unless they are eligible for other scholoarships or tuition waivers that other non-athlete students can also compete for.

Did you read the link that I provided for FGCU?????

The fact is tuition waivers do exist. This one quote that I brought forward was for showing that they do exist. I couldnt find the direct ruling. This is just ONE ruling on the subject as there are many many many more more.

bisonmike2
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking I need to dust of the Bill Brasky post and insert Wesley's name in it. Or maybe we should start a new thread

Wesley Hudson is so fast.....

....Craig Bohl didn't even know Wesley was on the field until he watched one of his games in ultra slow motion.

....he got a arrested for going 65 in a 25 mph zone...on foot..while walking to class.

....he didn't fly to Fargo for his campus visit. He ran and he beat the plane by 1 hour and 38 mins.

....houses in Katy Texas haven't had windows since Wesley's been playing football. He causes a sonic boom every time he touches the ball.

that's just off the top of my head for now.

56BISON73
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Talked to Colleen in compliance. NDSU has different tuition rates for different states where the full out of state tuition isnt paid. CA for example falls in to that category. But they also have not set up an agreement with Pennsylvania as of yet. So students from there would pay the full out of state tuition.
To be in compliance with NCAA rules these rates need to offered to regular students as well who wish to attend NDSU.
You also have your reciprocal agreements with many states in the Midwest.

So in many instances the AG budget isnt getting hit with full out of state tuition.

BisonNeil
02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Talked to Colleen in compliance. NDSU has different tuition rates for different states where the full out of state tuition isnt paid. CA for example falls in to that catagory. But they also have not set up an agreement with Pennsylvania as of yet. So students from there would pay the full out of state tuition.
To be in compliance with NCAA rules these rates need to offered to regular students as well who wish to attend NDSU.
You also have your receprical agreements with many states in the midwest.

So in many instances the AG budget isnt getting hit with full out of state tuition.

I knew that the NCAA required regular students have the same option as athletes, but I wasn't aware of tuition agreements with other states other than the reciprocity states. Good to know, thanks for following up.

Hammersmith
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Did you read the link that I provided for FGCU?????

The fact is tuition waivers do exist. This one quote that I brought forward was for showing that they do exist. I couldnt find the direct ruling. This is just ONE ruling on the subject as there are many many many more more.

He never said tuition waivers didn't exist; he said that there can't be a special category of tuition waivers just for athletes, which is what the quote you provided was saying. And reciprocity isn't really the same thing as a tuition waiver. NDSU has direct reciprocity with Minnesota and indirect reciprocity with two multi-state organizations. This creates four cost tiers. ND students get the lowest rate. MN students pay what they would if they went to UM-TC(slightly more than the ND students - works out to about $10 more per credit). Students from states in the two organizations, plus children of alumni from states that are not, get the third rate. Finally, students from the remaining states and foreign countries pay the highest rate.

Athletes don't get special treatment. They fall in the same categories as the general student body(if they don't, the NCAA better not hear about it). As far as scholarships go, the athletic department must pay the university the appropriate rate for the student. Strictly speaking, Jason Pomerenke from IA is going to cost the athletic department and Team Makers quite a bit more money than Ryan Smith from Wahpeton(assuming they're both full scholarship). And there's nothing NDSU can do about it unless Pomerenke changes his residence status.

BTW, residency as it relates to tuition is not the same as residency as it relates to ND state law. It takes 12 months of living in ND before you qualify for ND tuition rates. Also, you can't vacate your apartment for the entire summer and move home. If you do that, you can't claim ND rates. Voting in an election in your home state or not getting an ND drivers license are also indicators that you have not actually changed your permanent place of residence. Generally, the school doesn't really investigate these things, but it is a crime to claim residency when you truly haven't moved(falls under fraud, I would think).

Here are the two tuition exchange programs. In each case, members agree to charge program students 150% of the in-state rate.

Western Undergraduate Exchange: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, SD, UT, WA, & WY
Midwest Student Exchange Program: IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, & WI

heckler
02-02-2010, 02:14 AM
He never said tuition waivers didn't exist; he said that there can't be a special category of tuition waivers just for athletes, which is what the quote you provided was saying. And reciprocity isn't really the same thing as a tuition waiver. NDSU has direct reciprocity with Minnesota and indirect reciprocity with two multi-state organizations. This creates four cost tiers. ND students get the lowest rate. MN students pay what they would if they went to UM-TC(slightly more than the ND students - works out to about $10 more per credit). Students from states in the two organizations, plus children of alumni from states that are not, get the third rate. Finally, students from the remaining states and foreign countries pay the highest rate.

Athletes don't get special treatment. They fall in the same categories as the general student body(if they don't, the NCAA better not hear about it). As far as scholarships go, the athletic department must pay the university the appropriate rate for the student. Strictly speaking, Jason Pomerenke from IA is going to cost the athletic department and Team Makers quite a bit more money than Ryan Smith from Wahpeton(assuming they're both full scholarship). And there's nothing NDSU can do about it unless Pomerenke changes his residence status.

BTW, residency as it relates to tuition is not the same as residency as it relates to ND state law. It takes 12 months of living in ND before you qualify for ND tuition rates. Also, you can't vacate your apartment for the entire summer and move home. If you do that, you can't claim ND rates. Voting in an election in your home state or not getting an ND drivers license are also indicators that you have not actually changed your permanent place of residence. Generally, the school doesn't really investigate these things, but it is a crime to claim residency when you truly haven't moved(falls under fraud, I would think).

Here are the two tuition exchange programs. In each case, members agree to charge program students 150% of the in-state rate.

Western Undergraduate Exchange: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, SD, UT, WA, & WY
Midwest Student Exchange Program: IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, & WI

I know it doesn't matter in this situation but if you live in another state but are in the ND guard you get ND tuition just a FYI for anyone...

Hammersmith
02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
I know it doesn't matter in this situation but if you live in another state but are in the ND guard you get ND tuition just a FYI for anyone...

There are actually a few other ways beyond the two we've mentioned, but I didn't want to clutter up things more than they already were. If anyone wants the whole list, just click on this link to the NDUS website:

http://www.ndus.edu/policies/ndus-policies/subpolicy.asp?ref=2518

heckler
02-02-2010, 02:41 AM
There are actually a few other ways beyond the two we've mentioned, but I didn't want to clutter up things more than they already were. If anyone wants the whole list, just click on this link to the NDUS website:

http://www.ndus.edu/policies/ndus-policies/subpolicy.asp?ref=2518

where were you about five years ago when I joined the ND guard as a MN resident?! Anyways... did not know about the "Western Undergraduate Exchange Program."

uptown1974
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM

Wesley recently ran a 10.75 and yes 4.32 is accurate. He plans on running track also...Been running track since he was 7yrs old I think. You guys better take care of my nephew!!!

IzzyFlexion
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Wesley recently ran a 10.75 and yes 4.32 is accurate. He plans on running track also...Been running track since he was 7yrs old I think. You guys better take care of my nephew!!!

Could be 2 Bison football players on a kick-ass 400 and/or 800 meter relay.
Gebhart and Hudson. Don, come in, Don....do you copy....over.

westnodak93bison
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to a good local news source so we can follow his track season this spring?

tony
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
He never said tuition waivers didn't exist; he said that there can't be a special category of tuition waivers just for athletes*, which is what the quote you provided was saying.

* I wonder how UND worded the tuition waiver policy that allowed the entire woman's hockey program to get free tuition?

Tatanka
02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
* I wonder how UND worded the tuition waiver policy that allowed the entire woman's hockey program to get free tuition?

Are you suggesting that there was favoritism shown to players of teh hockies in Grand Forks, and that somehow this was swept under the rug and not challenged by the media? Bah!

Hammersmith
02-05-2010, 10:51 PM

It's a good question, but it unfortunately has a good answer. This tangent within the thread began when someone asked if a non-scholarship or partial scholarship player from out of state could get a waiver giving them in-state rates. The UND women's hockey team was a different situation. In that case, the athletic department didn't have the money to pay the school for the scholarships. The waivers were a way for the school to eat the cost instead of the athletic department. From the NCAA's point of view, it was still athletic aid and counted as such.

Honestly, I was a little too absolute with my statement. Theoretically, an athlete could get a waiver giving them an in-state tuition rate. It's just that the NCAA would count that amount against the 63 scholarship limit(in the case of football) unless the school could prove the student would have been eligible for the waiver even if they hadn't been an athlete.

Grizzled
02-05-2010, 10:57 PM

He's NFL bound for sure. Fastest 40's since 1999-2008 listed below. Only one faster after was Chris Johnson somewhere in the 4.2's.

4.24 - Rondel Melendez, (WR), Eastern Kentucky - 1999
4.28 - Jerome Mathis, (WR), Hampton - 2005
4.28 - *Champ Bailey, (CB), Georgia - 1999
4.29 - Stanford Routt, (CB), Houston - 2005
4.29 - Jay Hinton, (RB), Morgan State - 1999
4.29 - *Fabian Washington, (CB), Nebraska - 2005
4.30 - Yamon Figurs (WR), Kansas State - 2007
4.30 - Darrent Williams, (CB), Oklahoma State - 2005
4.31 - *Johnathan Joseph, (CB), South Carolina - 2006
4.31 - Aaron Lockett, (WR), Kansas State - 2002
4.31 - Santana Moss, (WR), Miami - 2001
4.32 - *Troy Williamson, (WR), South Carolina - 2005
4.32 - *Chad Jackson, (WR), Florida - 2006
4.32 - Jason Hill (WR), Washington State - 2007
4.32 - Tim Jennings, (CB), Georgia - 2006
4.32 - Chris McKenzie, (CB), Arizona State - 2005
4.32 - Tim Carter, (WR), Auburn - 2002
4.32 - Kevin Garrett, (CB), Southern Methodist - 2003
4.32 - Antwan Harris, (CB), Virginia - 2000
4.33 - Carlos Francis, (WR), Texas Tech - 2004
4.33 - Karsten Bailey, (WR), Auburn - 1999
4.33 - Chris Chambers, (WR), Wisconsin - 2001
4.34 - *Ahmad Carroll, (CB), Arkansas - 2004
4.34 - Domonique Foxworth, (CB), Maryland - 2005
4.34 - Tyrone Calico, (WR), Middle Tennessee State - 2003

tony
02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
He's NFL bound for sure. Fastest 40's since 1999-2008 listed below. Only one faster after was Chris Johnson somewhere in the 4.2's.

Was that weak sauce irony? The times you listed are electronic. A hand-held 4.32 would translate into a 4.5-4.6 40 - still very fast.

tony
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
It's a good question, but it unfortunately has a good answer. This tangent within the thread began when someone asked if a non-scholarship or partial scholarship player from out of state could get a waiver giving them in-state rates. The UND women's hockey team was a different situation. In that case, the athletic department didn't have the money to pay the school for the scholarships. The waivers were a way for the school to eat the cost instead of the athletic department. From the NCAA's point of view, it was still athletic aid and counted as such.

I guess it's still hazy to me.

If giving athletes 100% tuition waivers is OK, then I'd think waiving a portion of tuition would be OK too.

Grizzled
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Was that weak sauce irony? The times you listed are electronic. A hand-held 4.32 would translate into a 4.5-4.6 40 - still very fast.

Didn't see anything about handheld. Just looking up 40 time info. since Wesley's uncle verified a time we discussed for 3 pages. The kid is obviously fast, you can see that on tape.

Hammersmith
02-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I guess it's still hazy to me.

If giving athletes 100% tuition waivers is OK, then I'd think waiving a portion of tuition would be OK too.

Okay, say the football team is at 63 scholarships and wants to bring in a walk-on from Iowa(no reciprocity at all). The student wants to come, but the non-resident tuition is a problem. If the school gives him a partial waiver due to his athletic ability, it counts as athletic aid and puts the school over the 63 scholarship limit.

Now say the same student comes in, but is the dependent of an NDSU alumnus. All dependents of alumni are eligible for the 150% of in-state tuition that residents of the 20 states get as part of those two reciprocity organizations. That partial tuition waiver would not count as athletic aid because it's not tied to athletic ability.

In the case of the UND women's hockey team, they were allowed 18 scholarships by the NCAA. Whether the money for them came from the athletic department or the general university didn't matter. Normally, athletic aid comes out of the pocket of the athletic department or a booster organization*. In the case of a tuition waiver, the university writes off the cost without charging the athletic department. But it's still athletic aid for the purposes of the NCAA. Each of those tuition waivers counted toward the 18 scholarship limit.

What I should have said in my earlier post is that you can't give a tuition waiver(partial or full) to a student based on athletic ability and not have it count toward your scholarship limit. If you do give a partial waiver in that circumstance, it's the same as any other partial scholarship from the NCAA's point of view.

*Well, not directly from the booster organization; the org gives the money to the athletic dept, which then gives it to the student.

tony
02-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Didn't see anything about handheld. Just looking up 40 time info. since Wesley's uncle verified a time we discussed for 3 pages. The kid is obviously fast, you can see that on tape.

Just wanted to make sure. Sometimes people lay it on thick to be sarcastic. :)

Next time Bohl is taking calls, please, somebody ask him if our football players are going to be able to go out for track if they want.

And Hammer, now I get it! A school could waive part of tuition for any reason they wanted as long as they count it as financial aid.

westnodak93bison
02-06-2010, 02:44 AM

This is pretty much a list of who? what? never heard of the guy.
FB is more than straight line speed obviously. Nobody raved about the 40 times of Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith and many many others that made it big time.

Da_Bison
02-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Anyone know Stacy Robinsons 40 time? It has to be 4.3ish

Fightin' Bison
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM

You appear to be using the correction factor of .2 - .3, which is inappropriate for a 40 meter hand timed sprint. The 40 meter hand timed sprint correction factor is .16. http://www.physicaleducationupdate.com/public/555.cfm. A hand timed 4.32 correlates into an electronic 4.48.

Another important distinction - at least for electronic combine times - is that the clock does not start until the runner begins the sprint, which is about a .15 second advantage when compared to starting on the gun. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_world's_fastest_runner_in_the_40-yard_dash. So, a hand timed 40, starting on the gun, is almost identical to an electronically timed combine 40, beginning on the runner's start.

Castor Troy
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone know Stacy Robinsons 40 time? It has to be 4.3ish

The answer to your question is 4.28. I even have a link.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=cTsgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HGIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6997%2C5302660

This is an article from a Pittsburgh newspaper on the top ranked sleepers of the 1985 draft. The name of the writer will be familiar to most.

westnodak93bison
02-07-2010, 02:33 AM
What did Alan Burrell run?

Castor Troy
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
What did Alan Burrell run?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pdleaders.php?draftyear=2005

MONTANA_STATE_2003
03-02-2010, 01:48 AM

I HAVE THAT UPDATE ON WES HUDSON THAT YOU GUYS WERE LOOKING FOR.
this has his 100m dash from this past weekend the kid has wheels http://tx.milesplit.us/meets/65514/results/113493 he also was on the 4x100m relay and high jump and long jump aslo the 4x200m

westnodak93bison
03-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Well alright! Keep the updates coming. Hopefully he can bust out a 10.4 this season.

westnodak93bison
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Any updates on his track season?

AEBison1998
06-03-2010, 03:58 AM
I don't know if these are their best times but these are some times I found for each runner in the 100 meters.

Wes Hudson: 10.75
Mike Sigers: 10.76 (2009)
Trevor Gebhart: 10.81
Ryan Smith: 10.82

Do you think we have some young speed on the team now at the RB/WR spots?

tony
06-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Ryan Smith knocked out a 10.65 earlier in the year too. Fast.

Kermit
06-03-2010, 04:09 AM
I don't know if these are their best times but these are some times I found for each runner in the 100 meters.

Wes Hudson: 10.75
Mike Sigers: 10.76 (2009)
Trevor Gebhart: 10.81
Ryan Smith: 10.82

Do you think we have some young speed on the team now at the RB/WR spots?

Can you say relay team?

BadlandsBison
06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Can you say touchdown?

DjKyRo
06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Can you say Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

BlueBisonRock
06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Can you say Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

Why would I want to? :confused:

DjKyRo
06-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Why would I want to? :confused:

It seemed like an appropriate joke to make considering the two preceding posts: "Can you say relay team" and "can you say touchdown." I figured I'd mix it up with the longest documented word in the English language.

Totally irrelevant aside (and sorry for the thread drift) but the aforementioned giant word (a lung disease caused by inhalation of volcanic silica) is only the third longest coined word in the English language (but the longest undebated one). The longest one is over 189,000 letters. Interesting article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_the_English_language

Anyway, back to Wesley Johnson/track stuff! Is it still reasonable to assume he's definitely playing football here?

Siouxfallsbison
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Ryan Smith knocked out a 10.65 earlier in the year too. Fast.

Trevor's best are 10.7 and 10.57 converted from F.A.T.
Also has a 21.8 200 and 48.7 400. :nod:

SDbison
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Trevor's best are 10.7 and 10.57 converted from F.A.T.
Also has a 21.8 200 and 48.7 400. :nod:
Congrats to Trevor! Can't wait to have him in a Bison uniform. Lets bring the highest level of athleticism, class and performance to the field and start getting the job done.

westnodak93bison
06-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks for high jacking the Wesley Hudson thread.
Great for TG but this thread is about WH. I was hoping somebody had been following http://www.texastrack.com/ .

HerdBot
06-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Thought I would resurrect this thread from the dead since well be seeing more of Hudson

CaBisonFan
06-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Looks great.

Get the QB too.

ndsubison1
06-02-2011, 11:22 PM
It seemed like an appropriate joke to make considering the two preceding posts: "Can you say relay team" and "can you say touchdown." I figured I'd mix it up with the longest documented word in the English language.

Totally irrelevant aside (and sorry for the thread drift) but the aforementioned giant word (a lung disease caused by inhalation of volcanic silica) is only the third longest coined word in the English language (but the longest undebated one). The longest one is over 189,000 letters. Interesting article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_the_English_language

Anyway, back to Wesley Johnson/track stuff! Is it still reasonable to assume he's definitely playing football here?

cool story brah

Twentysix
06-04-2011, 11:24 AM

4.22 - Tiawan Jones, (RB), EWU - 2010 <--- WOW!

I dont closely follow individual player names in the NFL. But i sure do know who Santana Moss is....

56BISON73
06-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks for high jacking the Wesley Hudson thread.
Great for TG but this thread is about WH. I was hoping somebody had been following http://www.texastrack.com/ .

If Hudson is from TX is he in anyway related to Herb Hudson who played for the bison in early 70s?

El_Chapo
04-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Wes Hudson remember him? I stayed friends with him via DJ & Warren.... anyways. He just posted that he had a try out with CFL Edmonton & ran a 4.44 40 & they told him to go get a passport! ! (Wes wrote. They asked where he played he said NDSU then last 2 years at OU. Oilfield University. (He hasn't played in 2+ years)

Congrats to him... Once a bison always a bison.

El_Chapo
12-06-2021, 07:05 PM
saw Wes post this... a reminder to current players maybe.

Story time: I NEVER hit my potential nor scratched the surface when it came to this sport. Yeah I played a lil Division 1 football (NDSU ����) but I wasn’t focused or discipline enough to see where it could take me. For years I beat myself up wishing I could go back to 6/4/10��. Then one day it finally hit me

Fast forward to 2021…I’ve learned so much with all the trails and tribulations I’ve faced. I’ll be damn these kids don’t change the narrative. Playing at the highest level is the goal for everybody but it’s not for everybody! It’s take a village and the one we building can’t be torn down. It’s 2 dogs and 1 piece of meat, I can guaranteed our kids gonna eat!

Elsik HS
EVERY SATURDAY 7v7/Performance drills 
12-2p
Ages: 6-17
FREE! FREE! FREE!
Feed No Fear