PDA

View Full Version : Bohl on with Hammer today

The Lost Dutchman
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Right out of the gates at 12 oclock to talk about the D coordinator etc etc.

Bison"FANatic"
01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
So far basically going back to the Tampa 2 Defense.

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 05:25 PM
So far basically going back to the Tampa 2 Defense.

Is that what we were "trying" to play last year?

Bison"FANatic"
01-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Recruiting going well, getting who we want, good character and kids that understand Bison Tradition and national championships and that is where we are aiming.

Casey Bradley love fest for a good chunk of the time. (well deserved but......)

overall not to informative for those on here, not much new.

tjbison
01-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Recruiting going well, getting who we want, good character and kids that understand Bison Tradition and national championships and that is where we are aiming.

Casey Bradley love fest for a good chunk of the time. (well deserved but......)

overall not to informative for those on here, not much new.

Yeah not much, but also most of the news He can't comment on anyways, they should have waited and had him on next Thurs!!!!

GOB1SON
01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Some nice conversation about Coach Bradley, but all-in-all pretty benign.

On a related note, I am PUMPED for next Wednesday. I just think (and once again, I am such a homer) that we will look back on this class as the class that started NDSU's ascension into the elite level of FCS.

Of course, WTF do I know?

Bison"FANatic"
01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Is that what we were "trying" to play last year?

I don't know what we were trying to play last year but it didn't work:D

Bohl made one comment about the kids not knowing the general overall scheme of the D and needs to get them to understand that. (My words not his)

I took it to mean that they were trying to much new stuff and are going to get back to the basics and get the kids so they know the reason they are running certain things and get them to understand that and react. I wonder if the coaches didn't confuse the players last year. (Again in my words not Coaches)

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah not much, but also most of the news He can't comment on anyways, they should have waited and had him on next Thurs!!!!

holy crap! signing day is next thursday already. woo-hoo!

tjbison
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Wednesday Feb. 3rd

Bison"FANatic"
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Actually Wednesday I think

Oops TJ beat me to it

1 Week!!!!!!!!!!

Swany
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM
The one message that was unmistakably clear from yesterday's press conference was that the Bison are returning to the Tampa 2. Reading between the lines -- which is admittedly speculative -- it sure sounded like Breske resigned because of differences with the Tampa 2 philosophy.

Bohl and Hazelton emphasized numerous times how the defense got away from the Tampa 2 last year, and that caused players to be out of position, think too much, etc. Both vowed a return to the Tampa 2.

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=108

56BISON73
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
The one message that was unmistakably clear from yesterday's press conference was that the Bison are returning to the Tampa 2. Reading between the lines -- which is admittedly speculative -- it sure sounded like Breske resigned because of differences with the Tampa 2 philosophy.

Bohl and Hazelton emphasized numerous times how the defense got away from the Tampa 2 last year, and that caused players to be out of position, think too much, etc. Both vowed a return to the Tampa 2.

THat certainly sounds promising that they have a solid path to get better.

The Lost Dutchman
01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
The Fan is carrying Bohl's signing day press conference live at 3 oclock on Wednesday, also will have Bohl on afterwards.

IzzyFlexion
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM

So, the message is essentially......
Breske rolls into town and tried to revamp the entire defensive philosophy. The result was that the defense was, in large part, responsible for 8 losses, so he either lost patience or was shown the door. Were the '09 Bison student athletes not intelligent or athletic enough to learn his defense......doubt it. Is he a terrible teacher or guilty of not putting enough time into solid implementation?....don't know. My hunch is that rotating players at a break neck pace due to injuries didn't allow synergy between original starters and backups because of the newness of the system. Otherwise, it seems logical that Iowa State would have put up a lot more points in week one.
The good news from my perspective is.......the bandaid has been ripped off and they're going back to what has worked in the past.

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Breske rolls into town and tried to revamp the entire defensive philosophy. The result was that the defense was, in large part, responsible for 8 losses, so he either lost patience or was shown the door. Were the '09 Bison student athletes not intelligent or athletic enough to learn his defense......doubt it. Is he a terrible teacher or guilty of not putting enough time into solid implementation?....don't know. My hunch is that rotating players at a break neck pace due to injuries didn't allow synergy between original starters and backups because of the newness of the system. Otherwise, it seems logical that Iowa State would have put up a lot more points in week one.
The good news from my perspective is.......the bandaid has been ripped off and they're going back to what has worked in the past.

I just hope this doesn't turn out like the Dukes of Hazard. Remember when it was the hottest show on TV? It kicked ass, then CBS tried to change it up and replace Bo and Luke with their cousins Coy and Vance. The show tanked, Bo and Luke were brought back but by then damage had been done and the show never quite worked as well as it did in the beginning. So long story longer, sometimes going back to something that once worked in the past, doesn't mean it will work now. But I'm hopeful.

tony
01-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I just hope this doesn't turn out like the Dukes of Hazard. Remember when it was the hottest show on TV? It kicked ass, then CBS tried to change it up and replace Bo and Luke with their cousins Coy and Vance. The show tanked, Bo and Luke were brought back but by then damage had been done and the show never quite worked as well as it did in the beginning. So long story longer, sometimes going back to something that once worked in the past, doesn't mean it will work now. But I'm hopeful.

Or... CBS had the hottest show and then replaced Bo and Luke with their cousins Coy and Vance for one season and then brought back Bo and Luke back. :)

56BISON73
01-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Good points. Here are a few things that came to my mind.
The Bison have been playing the Tampa 2 and it has become ingrained for as long as the players have been there. So to come in a change everything on short notice is extremely difficult. Not only from a learning stand point but also from a physical stand point if you dont have the horses to run the philosophy that you want. Then couple that with all the injuries which certainly didnt help.

May be thats the reason I saw players standing flat footed watching passes being caught and not breaking to the ball was the fact they were confused and stayed in the zones that they thought they were supposed to be in.. Other players looked utterly confused at other times as well.
I saw that scenario more times than I would like to mention.

Tatanka
01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Or... CBS had the hottest show and then replaced Bo and Luke with their cousins Coy and Vance for one season and then brought back Bo and Luke back. :)

But the only reasons Coy and Vance were brought in was Bo and Luke were in a contract dispute. CBS ultimately paid the price.

Wait, I just totally lost the correlation to the Bison defense. What was that again?

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
But the only reasons Coy and Vance were brought in was Bo and Luke were in a contract dispute. CBS ultimately paid the price.

Wait, I just totally lost the correlation to the Bison defense. What was that again?

Bohl's fiance' is Daisy Duke.

99Bison
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Bohl's fiance' is Daisy Duke.

Are you calling Bohl Enius?

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Are you calling Bohl Enius?

Did Enius (heh-heh) every hook up with her? I always thought Cooter (heh-heh) had a better shot. I bet you Roscoe hit that a couple of times. How else can you explain Luke and Bo not being put into a federal penitentiary for some of the stuff they pulled?

99Bison
01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Did Enius (heh-heh) every hook up with her? I always thought Cooter (heh-heh) had a better shot. I bet you Roscoe hit that a couple of times. How else can you explain Luke and Bo not being put into a federal penitentiary for some of the stuff they pulled?

Are you saying Gene is Boss Hog now too? :)

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Are you saying Gene is Boss Hog now too? :)

Now that you say it our interim president makes a pretty good Boss Hog double.
http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2010/01/26/hanson,-dick.jpghttp://animeloveu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dukehogg.JPG

99Bison
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:

NDSUstudent
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Now that you say it our interim president makes a pretty good Boss Hog double.
http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2010/01/26/hanson,-dick.jpghttp://animeloveu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dukehogg.JPG

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/bisonfan2008/BossHanson.jpg

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/bisonfan2008/BossHanson.jpg

That is excellent. Can I use it as my avatar?

ndsubison1
01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
What does any of this have to do with Bohl on the Hammer show? Was the show that boring? :rofl:

NDSUstudent
01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
That is excellent. Can I use it as my avatar?

Thanks, and yeah sure of course you can use it.

JacksFan06
01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Sounds more like Bohl throwing Breske under the bus for a 3-8 season.

I doubt Breske came in and right from the gate completely changed up the defense unless Bohl would have given full range to do so. Obviously they had to have talked about defensive philosophies during Breske's interview.

If it was the defensive philosophy that was the cause, why didn't they go back to the tampa 2 during the season?

My take is the Bison were forced into playing too many players that didn't have very much game experience. Great defenses are built with returning starters and JR's & Srs, not with true freshman and first time starting sophmores.

Bison Dan
01-27-2010, 08:50 PM

I doubt Breske came in and right from the gate completely changed up the defense unless Bohl would have given full range to do so. Obviously they had to have talked about defensive philosophies during Breske's interview.

If it was the defensive philosophy that was the cause, why didn't they go back to the tampa 2 during the season?

My take is the Bison were forced into playing too many players that didn't have very much game experience. Great defenses are built with returning starters and JR's & Srs, not with true freshman and first time starting sophmores.

You listened to the show???? Tell me more how a team can score 34 points in one quarter? I want that kind of defense.

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM

What the hell does this have to do with The Dukes of Hazard? Did you even read this thread? Stay on point man! :)

bisonhusker
01-27-2010, 09:17 PM

I heard Bohl has been in Brookings (since he wrapped up his recruiting) and is trying to learn from Stig how to build a champion!!!!!

SDbison
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
You listened to the show???? Tell me more how a team can score 34 points in one quarter? I want that kind of defense.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rep to you Bison Dan!

SDbison
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I heard Bohl has been in Brookings (since he wrapped up his recruiting) and is trying to learn from Stig how to build a champion!!!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rep to you bisonhusker!

godhateswalmart
01-28-2010, 02:16 AM

I will agree it seems that bohl is throwing someone under the bus. It is the easy way out coach. Please show more class:hide:

OldBison
01-28-2010, 02:51 AM

That was my take also. Classless :smh:

Bison Dan
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
That was my take also. Classless :smh:

Really? I think we have some real sensitive people here. You ever had to fire someone for poor performance? I guess he should have said -" well Breske did an outstanding job but he decided to move on". There feel better? Say what time is Dr. Phil on this afternoon?

Grizzled
01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Really? I think we have some real sensitive people here. You ever had to fire someone for poor performance? I guess he should have said -" well Breske did an outstanding job but he decided to move on". There feel better? Say what time is Dr. Phil on this afternoon?

He did say that right away. And than again a week later. He should have stuck with it though.

And yes, i have let someone go for poor performance and I would expect others in my office to question me if I started going around and talking about them a month after they left.

Bison Dan
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
He did say that right away. And than again a week later. He should have stuck with it though.

And yes, i have let someone go for poor performance and I would expect others in my office to question me if I started going around and talking about them a month after they left.

What's the time limit? Apples and Oranges anyway. This is a public hire not a private one. Hammer asked the question and Coach Bohl answered it.

Grizzled
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
What's the time limit? Apples and Oranges anyway. This is a public hire not a private one. Hammer asked the question and Coach Bohl answered it.

Apples and Oranges??????????? Why did you ask the question than?

As far as a time limit I would say professionally never would be a pretty good timeline. Unless you are just looking to pass the buck.

SDbison
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Apples and Oranges??????????? Why did you ask the question than?

As far as a time limit I would say professionally never would be a pretty good timeline. Unless you are just looking to pass the buck.
What is it with you softies here? So what, Bohl indicated the guy wasn't getting the job done without ever making a direct comment like the guy was a an A-hole or incompetent (now that would be out of line).
Splitting hairs here in my opinion.

godhateswalmart
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
What is it with you softies here? So what, Bohl indicated the guy wasn't getting the job done without ever making a direct comment like the guy was a an A-hole or incompetent (now that would be out of line).
Well your love for Bohl, and your belief that everything he does is right is equally confusing!
It really just reminds of the denny green situation

56BISON73
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Well your love for Bohl, and your belief that everything he does is right is equally confusing!

You obviously havent been here long enough to have witnessed his anti Bohl rants. He is in no way a Bohl lacky.

godhateswalmart
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
You obviously havent been here long enough to have witnessed his anti Bohl rants. He is in no way a Bohl lacky.

Just found some in another thread. Was actually on my way to recant previous statement. So sorry SD it was my bad to quote you and say said things above.:smh:

unbison
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Cant you deal with all us liberal softies?
come on SD he threw him under the bus....
who is being soft?

SDbison
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I question Bohl about everything. I have just as many things I like about Bohl as I dislike about him. But posters implying Bohl needs to only say really, really, nice and perfectly neutral things about former coaches when he is asked questions are being unrealistic. From what I have read and heard there was nothing said by Bohl that could be considered a personal attack, dig, discredit, major putdown, etc.

SDbison
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Cant you deal with all us liberal softies?
come on SD he threw him under the bus....
who is being soft?
who is being soft?.........of course, you, the liberal whiner........ha ha :D

Throwing him under the bus would be saying the guy was incompetent, or directly blaming his coaching abilities for the Bison loses, etc.
Just saying Breske went too far away from the Tampa 2 and there was some difficulty with players picking up on his defense is not as big a deal as some of you are making out of this.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have the complete list of quotes directly taken from Bohl regarding Breskes departure.

Swany
01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I question Bohl about everything. I have just as many things I like about Bohl as I dislike about him. But posters implying Bohl needs to only say really, really, nice and perfectly neutral things about former coaches when he is asked questions are being unrealistic. From what I have read and heard there was nothing said by Bohl that could be considered a personal attack, dig, discredit, major putdown, etc.

The media didn't really pick up -- or choose -- to write about Breske taking the brunt of the blame for the defensive problems at the press conference. You'll have to listen to the press conference on gobison.com if you haven't done so. You can listen for free (watching the video requires a subscription).

It doesn't take more than ten minutes of listening to hear both Bohl and Hazelton emphasize the need to return to the Tampa 2, and how they got away from that too much last year. The implication is that getting away from the Tampa 2 accounted for our guys being out of position, thinking too much thus slowing our guys down, etc. If you listen I am confident you'll hear it loud and clear. It's one of those read between the lines things that smacks you in the face.

Swany
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
PS - there was no personal attack, major putdown, dig, etc. Just listen to the presser, you'll hear what I mean.

56BISON73
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
The media didn't really pick up -- or choose -- to write about Breske taking the brunt of the blame for the defensive problems at the press conference. You'll have to listen to the press conference on gobison.com if you haven't done so. You can listen for free (watching the video requires a subscription).

It doesn't take more than ten minutes of listening to hear both Bohl and Hazelton emphasize the need to return to the Tampa 2, and how they got away from that too much last year. The implication is that getting away from the Tampa 2 accounted for our guys being out of position, thinking too much thus slowing our guys down, etc. If you listen I am confident you'll hear it loud and clear. It's one of those read between the lines things that smacks you in the face.

If its true then I dont see what the problem is.

JacksFan06
01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
PS - there was no personal attack, major putdown, dig, etc. Just listen to the presser, you'll hear what I mean.

I didn't feel Bohl wasn't attacking Breske on a personal level, it just seemed like he was trying to shift the blame and negative pressure of a losing season on the departed Breske instead of taking responsibility himself.

It sound more like

"We went 3-8 because of Coach Breske and his hair-brained, defensive schemes. He was a saboteur hired by UND to come in and destroy NDSU's proud tradition.
He almost succeeded, but agent 00-Hazel sniffed him out and put an end to his plot of terror. Because of his good work, we are presenting him with this prestigious Tampa 2 Medal and a promotion to D-Coordinator, where he will guide the Bison D and tighten our iron clad fist around the jugular that is FCS football.
I repeat, I take no responsibility for the 3-8 season. It was injuries, poor weather, bad officiating, the cosmos, the glare of my bald head distracting our QB, and that sneaky Breske that did us in. We will return to glory in 2010. Vive l'empire du mal!"

Tatanka
01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I didn't feel Bohl wasn't attacking Breske on a personal level, it just seemed like he was trying to shift the blame and negative pressure of a losing season on the departed Breske instead of taking responsibility himself.

It sound more like

"We went 3-8 because of Coach Breske and his hair-brained, defensive schemes. He was a saboteur hired by UND to come in and destroy NDSU's proud tradition.
He almost succeeded, but agent 00-Hazel sniffed him out and put an end to his plot of terror. Because of his good work, we are presenting him with this prestigious Tampa 2 Medal and a promotion to D-Coordinator, where he will guide the Bison D and tighten our iron clad fist around the jugular that is FCS football.
I repeat, I take no responsibility for the 3-8 season. It was injuries, poor weather, bad officiating, the cosmos, the glare of my bald head distracting our QB, and that sneaky Breske that did us in. We will return to glory in 2010. Vive l'empire du mal!"

Are you sure you want to play that card here? Kind of sounds like a certain basketball coach...

99Bison
01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Are you sure you want to play that card here? Kind of sounds like a certain basketball coach...

The post in question was actually pretty funny... hopefully it was supposed to be :) :hide:

SDbison
01-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah......you are saying the same thing I was saying.......
1. Bohl recently provided some details on the issues with last years defense.
2. With those comments, or any others I know of, Bohl did not attack, discredit, or slam Breskes capabilities as a coach.

SDbison
01-28-2010, 10:39 PM

It sound more like

Maybe agree how you could feel what you said in the first part of your post, but think that is all in how you personally take things.
As for the rest of the post......pretty damn funny.......lol!
I am actually gonna give rep to a jack poster.

Facts
01-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Mike, that avatar is classic. :)

bisonmike2
01-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Mike, that avatar is classic. :)

I didn't make it. NDSUstudent did. He deserves the rep. I'm only loaning it from him.