PDA

View Full Version : Football Press Conference Today (Jan 26) at 2p

Swany
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM
A Media Advisory just went out a few minutes ago that NDSU football will be holding a press conference today (Jan. 26) at 2p.

Any word if we've hired a new defensive coordinator -- and if so, how they managed to keep it under wraps until today? Where were you insiders with all the big time top secret info at? Your killing me Smalls. Thoughts?

Bison Dan
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
A Media Advisory just went out a few minutes ago that NDSU football will be holding a press conference today (Jan. 26) at 2p.

Any word if we've hired a new defensive coordinator -- and if so, how they managed to keep it under wraps until today? Where were you insiders with all the big time top secret info at? Your killing me Smalls. Thoughts?

I heard that Lakes was a consultant on the new hires. He was actually down in LA. to talk with the LSU DC and not for the Vikings game.

tony
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Hopefully it's to announce that some assistant coaches are being hired. :praying:
If it is, hats off to the staff for keeping it quiet. I think sometimes worry that they say too much (and sometimes to the wrong people.)

bisonmike2
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Now that their season is over, NDSU can announce that they have hired Leslie Frasier to be the next DC. He has signed a 10 year contract, no buyouts allowed, and he's guaranteed to get the head coaching job once Bohl quits.

GradBison
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=69381

My guess...Scott Hazelton. Pretty much because I don't know about any other candidates on this one!

Gonna miss these updates from Steve.

RRVBISON
01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Will this be carried on any of the local radio stations? Anyone know?

SDbison
01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Will GoBison carry it live?

BisManBison
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
It will be on 740.

tony
01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

I think 740 will keep people updated. WDAY? No idea as they are not streaming right now and gobison.com doesn't have it listed as a live event.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks BisMan and Tony!

RRVBISON
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Yep. Thanks.

IronRanger
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
anyone know of a radio feed at all yet? checked 740 and 970 and nothin

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Still nothing?????? Hello, anyone out there?

99Bison
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Scotty Hazelton it is!

99Bison
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Congrats Scotty!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/267086/group/home/

GOB1SON
01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Here is Scott's bio on gobison.com

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11843&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=867420&Q_SEASON=2009

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Scotty Hazelton it is!
Are we supposed to be impressed with this move?
Good: Internal promotion maybe means the guy will stick around
Bad: Not many years experience. Can the guy coach?

bisonmike2
01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Congrats to Scott? I guess. Admittedly I don't know much about the guy but waiting 2 months to promote an in house guy stinks of "I couldn't find anybody else so I just promoted a dude from within" doesn't it? From people more in the know from me, can this guy turn around our horrendous defense?

GOB1SON
01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Are we supposed to be impressed with this move?
Good: Internal promotion maybe means the guy will stick around
Bad: Not many years experience. Can the guy coach?

I was wondering the same thing...

I don't know why, but I feel a little bit let down by this.

Maybe I was hoping that bringing in someone from outside the program would inject a little bit of energy and excitement.

But I was pumped after we hired Breske, so what the hell do I know?

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
More questions now than ever......
Pretty big gamble by Bohl.
Scattered experience and big jump in responsibility.
So, does this guy have better ideas than what were implemented last year?
Tired of other teams 80% success rate on third downs against NDSU.
Can we we get some consistent pass rushes?
Stop with the 10 yard separation at the line of scrimage on wide receiver coverage?

GradBison
01-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Congrats to Scott? I guess. Admittedly I don't know much about the guy but waiting 2 months to promote an in house guy stinks of "I couldn't find anybody else so I just promoted a dude from within" doesn't it? From people more in the know from me, can this guy turn around our horrendous defense?

My feelings exactly.

bisonmike2
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
More questions now than ever......
Pretty big gamble by Bohl.
Scattered experience and big jump in responsibility.
So, does this guy have better ideas than what were implemented last year?
Tired of other teams 80% success rate on third downs against NDSU.
Can we we get some consistent pass rushes?
Stop with the 10 yard separation at the line of scrimage on wide receiver coverage?

I approve this message.

TheBisonator
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think anyone can do worse than Breske. Bison football has nowhere to go but up.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I was wondering the same thing...

I don't know why, but I feel a little bit let down by this.

Maybe I was hoping that bringing in someone from outside the program would inject a little bit of energy and excitement.

But I was pumped after we hired Breske, so what the hell do I know?
Some "in the know" say Hazelton has all sorts of "energy and excitement". I am more concerned about knowledge, experience and ability to make changes during a game that are effective without having to wait until halftime. I think Bohl didn't have any option after the USF DC backed out (assuming he was ever in the running).

Notorious
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
That's it.....?

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't think anyone can do worse than Breske. Bison football has nowhere to go but up.
Based on what? It could get worse.
Seems like the bend but don't break conservative Bison defense that has been around since Bohl arrived has been breaking a lot more than bending in the past couple years. Of course think how many games Walker had to come back to win a game for the Bison in the 10-1 seasons. Not too many games have been won by the Bison defense in the last 6 or 7 years.

heckler
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM

oh oh........

TCBisonFan
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Interesting hire, hopefully it was the best move and not just because we couldn't get anyone better to consider the opportunity...

bisonmike2
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Some "in the know" say Hazelton has all sorts of "energy and excitement". I am more concerned about knowlege, experience and ability to make changes during a game that are effective without having to wait until halftime. I think Bohl didn't have any option after the USF DC backed out (assuming he was ever in the running).

again I agree with your concerns. I guess I'll have to go into next year thinking that the defense can't get any worse. Unless it does get worse. Then I'm not sure what will happen.

99Bison
01-26-2010, 07:35 PM
The good:
At least 3 coaches now here that want to be here:
Vigen OC
Hazelton DC
Fuchs OL

The bad:
FUD - fear, uncertainty, doubt

Kermit
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I have 2 guesses:

1) This move may mean that Bohl plans to be more actively engaged with the defense himself this year. He couldn't have been very unhappy with the defense last season and I bet he doesn't want his coaching future depending on another new guy. He is comfortable with Hazelton.

2) I bet AJ Cooper will now be the DL coach, and Hazelton will coach linebackers. Sounds like AJ has done a great job coaching and recruiting. I hope he gets the promotion.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
The good:
Vigen OC
Hazelton DC
Fuchs OL

The bad:
Question: Will these guys ever end up being any good (excel at the FCS level) and should the NDSU football program have to go through several iffy seasons while these guys gain experience?

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I have 2 guesses:

1) This move may mean that Bohl plans to be more actively engaged with the defense himself this year. He couldn't have been very unhappy with the defense last season and I bet he doesn't want his coaching future depending on another new guy. He is comfortable with Hazelton.

2) I bet AJ Cooper will now be the DL coach, and Hazelton will coach linebackers. Sounds like AJ has done a great job coaching and recruiting. I hope he gets the promotion.

Wasn't Cooper a TE? What made him a defensive position expert?
Wow, starting to wonder where the storied Bison football program is headed.
Sorry to all, just a bit disappointed today. And what do I know, I am just a fan? On the surface though, this move is questionable for a football program that wants to be top notch in FCS.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I have 2 guesses:

Hope the result isn't like how well special teams perform under Bohls direction.

Bison"FANatic"
01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
OK I admit I don't know much about the guy. I am interested to hear from those in the know more than me but here is my take.

1. It takes 2 months to promote from within. Hmmmmmmmm

2. Our D line was suppose to be our strength going into last year and don't get me wrong they did a ok job but they were not the strength I thought they were going to be and he was the coach. Hopefully that turns around.

3. His last stint at D-coordinator though it was Co-DC was at 04 and 05 at Missouri Southern State. They averaged 36 and 39.5 points given up those two year. Now, I don't know anything more about those seasons or the school than that but it just leads to hmmmmmmm for me.

I hope he works out and look forward to having a younger coach that shows some fire. I guess he had a 2 year job interview here so they must think he can get the job done. Time will tell.

Kermit
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Wasn't Cooper a TE? What made him a defensive position expert?
Wow, starting to wonder where the storied Bison football program is headed.
Sorry to all, just a bit disappointed today. And what do I know, I am just a fan? On the surface though, this move is questionable for a football program that wants to be top notch in FCS.

Well, it is just my guess. Cooper did coach DE's last year. It seems very common for coaches to coach positions other than the one they played.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
OK, I made several reasonable observations and comments that will be considered being negative to some posters.
Now where are all the kool-aid drinkers to put an outrageous positive spin on this development.
Please convert me!

Tatanka
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
OK, I made several reasonable observations and comments that will be considered being negative to some posters.
Now where are all the kool-aid drinkers to put an outrageous positive spin on this development.
Please convert me!

OK, I'll bite:

Scott Hazelton will command the powerful Bison defense using laser beams shooting from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse. Other teams' offenses will cringe in fear, often taking knees on second and third downs just to avoid facing his wrath. Opposing coaches will design intentional-fumble and interception plays just to appease his thirst for turnovers. He is, without a doubt, the best coach that ever was, is, or will be.

Too much? :hide:

Kermit
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Please convert me!

I'll bite. Hazelton is a good coach and he wants to be here. We need to put a stop to the coaching merry-go-round and this could be a step in that direction. It is much more likely that a young coach with fire in his belly will give this job 100% then another guy who has bouncing from one place to another. Breske and Camp did not work out here. I am on board.

Bisonfan1
01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Please convert me!

I GOT NOTHING, I dont know what to think, I thought a couple years ago coaches and recruits alike would be knocking our door down to get in, it seems like the door has been getting knocked down to get out. I do like the fact that some of these guys want to be here and will be here for awhile and show stability in the program. Lets give him a chance and see what he can do. There will be alot of implications riding on this promotion if you know what I mean.

Kermit
01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
1. It takes 2 months to promote from within. Hmmmmmmmm

Hazelton was quite likely not the first choice, and I'm sure Bohl at least wanted to see who was available--but that doesn't make Hazelton a poor choice. Promoting from within has worked before in this program. I remember when many Bison fans were quite skeptical about Casey Bradley. Just sayin'.

bisonhusker
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I had the chance to visit with Coach Hazelton last month for a little while. I left completely motivated by him. He has something that you just trust. He really is intense and driven. Plus, NDSU is his dream job. I have been hoping he would get promoted to that job ever since meeting him. I am excited about this move.

He has been with Bohl for a couple years, so obviously Bohl sees something in him. More than anything, we recruited defense like crazy for two years. We need to stay healthy and hungry.

Congrats to Coach Hazelton. I hope we fill out the staff with people equally as hungry and as driven as he is.

Also, I think we are all happy with Fuchs. He didn't have an amazing resume either, but completely revamped our O line. Moved some kids around and in his first year had the nation's leading rusher. There is something to be said about wanting to be at NDSU. Ex: Charlie Camp wanted nothing to do with Fargo. It was a quick job to earn a paycheck and move on. Fact.

Best of luck to this staff with a bunch of new recruits. This is not koolade. If you have the chance to meet him, he is impressive.

tony
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Congratulations to Coach Hazelton.

I wouldn't say it took two months to hire him though. They didn't advertise the job until the 20th so it I'd say that it took six days.

Not going to lie, I would have liked to see somebody come in and revamp the defense though (was kind of hoping for Rocky.)

Bison"FANatic"
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Hazelton was quite likely not the first choice, and I'm sure Bohl at least wanted to see who was available--but that doesn't make Hazelton a poor choice. Promoting from within has worked before in this program. I remember when many Bison fans were quite skeptical about Casey Bradley. Just sayin'.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of promoting from within if you have someone who can get the job done. I assume Bohl feels he can get the job done.

:cheers: Here is to hard work, busting your ass and Hazelton making the Bison D the best in the MVFC.

bisonmike2
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Hope the result isn't like how well special teams perform under Bohls direction.

or the last year he ran Nebraska's defense:hide:

I'm going with Kermit's thinking. He's young, energetic and wants to be here. Hopefully he is successful and wants to stick around here for several years. Before last year I thought it was a lock that Breske was going to come in here and make this a dominating defense again. We'll I'm not expecting much from this guy, hopefully he surprises me. In a way I feel bad for him, because if we have a couple of bad games early he's not going to get any slack. Oh well, at least we have basketball....awww crap. :banghead:

Bisonfan1
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I had the chance to visit with Coach Hazelton last month for a little while. I left completely motivated by him. He has something that you just trust. He really is intense and driven. Plus, NDSU is his dream job. I have been hoping he would get promoted to that job ever since meeting him. I am excited about this move.

He has been with Bohl for a couple years, so obviously Bohl sees something in him. More than anything, we recruited defense like crazy for two years. We need to stay healthy and hungry.

Congrats to Coach Hazelton. I hope we fill out the staff with people equally as hungry and as driven as he is.

Also, I think we are all happy with Fuchs. He didn't have an amazing resume either, but completely revamped our O line. Moved some kids around and in his first year had the nation's leading rusher. There is something to be said about wanting to be at NDSU. Ex: Charlie Camp wanted nothing to do with Fargo. It was a quick job to earn a paycheck and move on. Fact.

Best of luck to this staff with a bunch of new recruits. This is not koolade. If you have the chance to meet him, he is impressive.

Good points, thanx for the info, alot of the unknown here for us rubes to form an accurate opinion on the hire. From what you say, I am on board ! I like the guys who find NDSU their dream job as they will probably work a whole lot harder to stick around for a while. Congrats Scott, enjoy your celebration tonight, then Wednesday at 5 AM its time to get to work !!!! :D

tony
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM

rep incoming! :)

onbison09
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Now that's a hell of a 1,000th post :nod:

Kermit
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM

GREAT post! Our defense is going to be VERY YOUNG and talented. Off the top of my head, the D could look like this in the fall:

DE: Boyer (returning starter), Johnson (returning starter), Stoczinski, Hagen, Jirik, Juckem, Drevlow, Luecke, Hardie

DT: Gratzek (returning starter), Phillips, Reid, Perry, Gimmestad

MLB: Beson, Forbes, Emmanuel

OLB: Evans (returning starter), Jemison (returning starter), Willson, Kolstad, Olson, Littlejohn, Carter, Gefroh, Beck

SS: Lemon, Ollman, Gion, Pfeiffer

FS: Eaves, Horner, Dudzik, Heagle

CB: Pierre (returning starter), Jackson, Williams, Gatlin, Colvin, Colvin

JacksFan06
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Alot of people are talking about getting a coach in that will stay for awhile and I was wondering what the over/under win total for Coach Bohl next year is for him to get a contract extension?

I'll put it at 6, with 6 or more and he keeps his job... 5 or less and Bison fans revolt and riot the streets of Fargo and it doesn't matter who was hired the D-Coordinator.

Kermit
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I have 2 guesses:

"We got away from some of the philosophies that coach Bohl has had since he's been here," Hazelton said. "We're going to return to what's proven and get back on that path."

Bohl said he's in the preliminary stages to hiring secondary and defensive line coaches.

ndsubison1
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Not too many games have been won by the Bison defense in the last 6 or 7 years.

Are you sure you want to use this argument?

NDSUstudent
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow SD, are you kidding me?

2006...Great defense....
#6 in total defense
#6 in scoring defense
#4 in rushing defense(allowed under 70 yards on the ground per game)

-almost all statistics are in the 20s, a good but not a great year.

2008...Great defense....
#1 in pass defense(wow what happened there?)
#5 in total defense
#19 in scoring defense

Maybe Hazleton is right, maybe we got too far away last year from what we had been doing well...

2009(look at your own risk)...
#69 Rushing defense
#74 Total defense
#81 Pass defense
#90 Scoring defense

Bisonguy
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm just glad that there's going to be an emphasis on creating turnovers, something that the defense has been severely lacking since Burrow left. :hide:

99Bison
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
NDSU Release:

Scottie Hazelton Promoted to Defensive Coordinator at North Dakota State

FARGO, N.D.--Head football coach Craig Bohl announced that defensive
line coach Scottie Hazelton has been promoted to defensive coordinator
at North Dakota State University. Hazelton will move from defensive line
to linebackers coach Bohl made the announcement today.

Hazelton has been the defensive line coach for NDSU since 2007. He was a
former graduate assistant for the Bison in 2000 and 2001. Hazelton
worked closely with Casey “Gus” Bradley, who is currently defensive
coordinator with the Seattle Seahawks and former NDSU assistant coach
when he began his career.

Hazelton has been a part of several impressive defensive coaching staffs
since coming back to Fargo. In the 2008, North Dakota State led the NCAA
Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) in pass defense
(116.82 ypg), and ranked 3rd in sacks (3.36 avg/g), 5th in total defense
(254 ypg) and tackles for loss (8.55 avg/g), and 19th in scoring defense
(19.18 ypg).

In the 2007 FCS statistics, the Bison were ranked 18th in defensive
third down efficiency (33.3 percent) and 22nd in rushing defense (126.5
ypg).

Hazelton was the linebackers coach at Michigan Tech in 2006 after
spending two seasons as the co-defensive coordinator at Missouri
Southern State. He was also the defensive backs coach for two seasons at
St. Olaf College in Minnesota

He played collegiate football at Fort Lewis College in Colorado and
began his coaching career there in 1996 working with the defensive
secondary and serving as interim defensive coordinator.

Hazelton was a graduate assistant at NDSU for two seasons under then
Bison head coach and current Chicago Bears assistant Bob Babich before
moving on to St. Olaf.
Scott and his wife, Brooke, have two daughters, Ava and Sophie. The
couple is expecting their first boy in June.

North Dakota State finished the season with a 3-8 record overall
including a 2-6 mark in the MVFC.

The Bison open the 2010 season at Kansas on Sept. 4.

99Bison
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Question: Will these guys ever end up being any good (excel at the FCS level) and should the NDSU football program have to go through several iffy seasons while these guys gain experience?

Good questions... as with any questions right now really. You can certainly argue that Fuchs is good at FCS level given Southern Ill and here last year.

If people excel at FCS level and want to leave to greener pastures they will. The question is if these guys excel will they want to stay.

Surfice to say no matter who was hired for this position there would be questions.

Really, all I know this:
1. Scott wants to be here.
2. Scott is a good guy.
3. Hiring freeze effected in some way the open positions.

RedRiver
01-26-2010, 09:35 PM

So how many position coaches are left to hire? Two on defense and one on offense?

Amused
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Alot of people are talking about getting a coach in that will stay for awhile and I was wondering what the over/under win total for Coach Bohl next year is for him to get a contract extension?

I'll put it at 6, with 6 or more and he keeps his job... 5 or less and Bison fans revolt and riot the streets of Fargo and it doesn't matter who was hired the D-Coordinator.

I think he's safe with 5 wins...if attendance and interest remain throughout the season. If they start 1-3 and attendance falls, then 5 is not enough.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow SD, are you kidding me?

2006...Great defense....
#6 in total defense
#6 in scoring defense
#4 in rushing defense(allowed under 70 yards on the ground per game)

-almost all statistics are in the 20s, a good but not a great year.

2008...Great defense....
#1 in pass defense(wow what happened there?)
#5 in total defense
#19 in scoring defense

Maybe Hazleton is right, maybe we got too far away last year from what we had been doing well...

2009(look at your own risk)...
#69 Rushing defense
#74 Total defense
#81 Pass defense
#90 Scoring defense
Stats don't win games........even with the so called great Bison defenses mentioned above the other teams scored close to the end of the game and Walker had to pull out miracles.......at least 4 or 5 times in 2006 and 2007.
Better yet, tell me about several games where NDSU scored last in the 4th quarter to take the lead and the defense stopped the opposing teams remaining drives.
I tried but apparently my memory is fading........

NDSUstudent
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Stats don't win games........even with the so called great Bison defenses mentioned above the other teams scored close to the end of the game and Walker had to pull out miracles.......at least 4 or 5 times in 2006 and 2007.
Better yet, tell me about several games where NDSU scored last in the 4th quarter to take the lead and the defense stopped the opposing teams remaining drives.
I tried but apparently my memory is fading........

Our defense stopped UCD the entire second half and gave Walker the ball back due to a timely pick at the end of the game. The defense kept us in a game against Minnesota, after our offense continually sputtered in 2006.

How about Cal Poly in 2006, they held one of top scoring teams to just 14 points. Barden and their high scoring offense couldn't do a damn thing. The best part of the 2006 team was the defense, it was dominant.

How about Central Michigan in 2007, they were a high octane offense and only scored 14 points at home against the herd. There were a few games were Walker was an INT machine and our defense still kept us in games. Walker gets way too much credit for our past success, his comebacks were great but he had a lot of help.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll bite. Hazelton is a good coach and he wants to be here. We need to put a stop to the coaching merry-go-round and this could be a step in that direction. It is much more likely that a young coach with fire in his belly will give this job 100% then another guy who has bouncing from one place to another. Breske and Camp did not work out here. I am on board.
FACT: Hazelton is a question mark as to whether he will be a poor, mediocre, good, very good or excellent DC. We don't know. And maybe Hazelton will have to go through all those levels one year at time to get to there (would a 5 year learning curve be OK with several more losing seasons in the meantime)? So granted he is a good cheerleader, but can he coach? As for Vigen I wasn't impressed last year with his debut as OC. With Bohls recent hiring record I don't know how much I can trust his expertise to judge unknown potential.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Our defense stopped UCD the entire second half and gave Walker the ball back due to a timely pick at the end of the game. The defense kept us in a game against Minnesota, after our offense continually sputtered in 2006.

How about Cal Poly in 2006, they held one of top scoring teams to just 14 points. Barden and their high scoring offense couldn't do a damn thing. The best part of the 2006 team was the defense, it was dominant.

How about Central Michigan in 2007, they were a high octane offense and only scored 14 points at home against the herd. There were a few games were Walker was an INT machine and our defense still kept us in games. Walker gets way too much credit for our past success, his comebacks were great but he had a lot of help.
Good points.....still not a dominating defense. If the D had shown up in the first half of the UCD game there would not have been such a need for a huge comeback.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Good questions... as with any questions right now really. You can certainly argue that Fuchs is good at FCS level given Southern Ill and here last year.

If people excel at FCS level and want to leave to greener pastures they will. The question is if these guys excel will they want to stay.

Surfice to say no matter who was hired for this position there would be questions.

Really, all I know this:
1. Scott wants to be here.
2. Scott is a good guy.
3. Hiring freeze effected in some way the open positions.

Wish I was hired for my dream job based on your criteria......sky is the limit:
1. Wants to be here
2. Good guy
3. Hiring freeze is on so we got our man!
Damn that was easy!

99Bison
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Good points.....still not a dominating defense. If the D had shown up in the first half of the UCD game there would not have been such a need for a huge comeback.

The D in 2006 was rediculously good. Championship caliber good if they would have had a chance. Half of the starters are either in the NFL now or had a shot.

Specifically at the UCD the coaches attempted a different scheme in the first half and went back to standard D in the second.

99Bison
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Wish I was hired for my dream job based on your criteria......sky is the limit:
1. Wants to be here
2. Good guy
3. Hiring freeze is on so we got our man!
Damn that was easy!

What criteria?

NDSUstudent
01-26-2010, 10:18 PM

SD how was the 2006 defense not dominate? Because they had one bad half at UCD? Cmon, they gave up 13.2 points per game and only allowed 67.2 yards on the ground. Our opponent converted just 29% of the time on third down, what more could you want? If the 2006 defense was not dominate, NDSU will never have a dominating defense.

SDbison
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
SD how was the 2006 defense not dominate? Because they had one bad half at UCD? Cmon, they gave up 13.2 points per game and only allowed 67.2 yards on the ground. Our opponent converted just 29% of the time on third down, what more could you want? If the 2006 defense was not dominate, NDSU will never have a dominating defense.
OK, so you win.
Last two years have sucked no matter what you or the stats say.

NDSUstudent
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
OK, so you win.
Last two years have sucked no matter what you or the stats say.

I don't think a defense could get worse than it was this year. Not even stats can polish that turd.

bisonhusker
01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Bottom line for me is this. Great players make great coaches. We are building a great foundation. BisonNeil has done a nice job talking about people leaving the program. Last year we lost nobody and had what is being considered a very good recruiting class. This year is also looking like a great class. We are building a solid foundation for the future. We also had a ton of injuries and played freshman. Recipe for disaster.

It is the off season for me. I am not looking back at a 3 win season. I am looking at it with a glass half full and a new DC that wants to go back to what we were good at. I also know he has been critical in alot of our recent recruiting efforts.

Time to move on from last year and start looking forward to next year. I expect 7 wins and a push toward the playoffs. Open QB competition should make for a great Spring Game.

mgbison
01-27-2010, 12:39 AM
great hire. i'm getting more excited for football season each day.

WYOBISONMAN
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
The good:
Vigen OC
Hazelton DC
Fuchs OL

The bad:

Any coach will move for the right amount of money. If they have success....they are gone. A coach is just not going to turn down a good opportunity to move on.....

SDbison
01-27-2010, 01:09 AM
It was a promotion, not a hire.......he was already working for the Bison.
So other than being vague, why the heck do you think it was so great?

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 01:12 AM

"The pieces are in place. We should be pretty good."

Facts
01-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I just got my tickets for Chattanooga. WE'RE COMIN! WE'RE COMIN!

:hide:

SDbison
01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
"The pieces are in place. We should be pretty good."
OK,.......I.......guess......we....should.....all. .....just ....agree......it.....was ...... an......outstanding......move,......the.....Bison. ....are.....in.......good......shape ...... and......will......return......to.......dominance.

Questioning any move the Bison make is futile. All must be robotic and respond in unison.

OldBison
01-27-2010, 01:20 AM

What about a WR coach?

I know Cooper coached the DEs last year, so maybe the DL coach will be him. I always thought AJ would end up the WR coach though. :nod:

OldBison
01-27-2010, 01:23 AM
It is the off season for me. I am not looking back at a 3 win season. I am looking at it with a glass half full and a new DC that wants to go back to what we were good at. I also know he has been critical in alot of our recent recruiting efforts.

Time to move on from last year and start looking forward to next year. I expect 7 wins and a push toward the playoffs. Open QB competition should make for a great Spring Game.

Can't argue with what you said here. Personally, I think Scott has paid his dues and has earned the job. Go get 'em Hazey :D

heckler
01-27-2010, 01:45 AM

only time will tell

rutlandbison
01-27-2010, 02:08 AM
Why do you think it wasn't? Because we didn't go out of the NDSU? What makes you think this guy is going to be a failure. Maybe nobody else wanted the job, point is we got somebody who was here, his recruited players know he is staying and we are now moving ahead.

rdh701
01-27-2010, 02:50 AM
I think the problem is that SD has been wearing his cap backwards so long that everything looks a little backasswards. He'll come around! :cheers:

CaBisonFan
01-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Have we had a game like the Vikings had? At least college football tries to show that the games are real. The coaches that we have are the real deal. If they recruited this new class, then they deserve a chance to coach them. Maybe the Breske experience affected the decision. I'd like to see Kevin Feeney and/or Chris Simdorn on the staff soon. A good mixture of outsiders and former players.

This discussion feels like a Vikings hangover. Anyone see the three players sitting on the sideline joking around before the guy kicked the winning fieldgoal? Funny stuff.

I'll never forget the Bobby Knight quote on Lettermen (maybe Leno). "Ah Bobby...do you watch the NBA very much?" Bobby..."No...I'd rather watch basketball." Ditto NFL

What does this have to do with anything? Nothing...just bitchin...:cool:...poopikers

4mcruenomore
01-27-2010, 04:25 AM
They called a press conference for this???

sambini
01-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Good Luck Scotty++++++

unbison
01-27-2010, 11:56 AM
OK,.......I.......guess......we....should.....all. .....just ....agree......it.....was ...... an......outstanding......move,......the.....Bison. ....are.....in.......good......shape ...... and......will......return......to.......dominance.

Questioning any move the Bison make is futile. All must be robotic and respond in unbison.

fixed it for you

bisontwice
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Congrats to Scott. A return to the tampa 2, something we didn't run last year. I think he will return the intensity to the defense, bring back the hustle and pursuit as well as the ball hawking we need.

westnodak93bison
01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Not sure what D we ran last year but it sucked. Our LBs looked lost, our D backs gave a 10yd cushion and our safeties seemed to be in the wrong place.
Oh and a lack of pressure from the D line.

Grizzled
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Not sure what D we ran last year but it sucked. Our LBs looked lost, our D backs gave a 10yd cushion and our safeties seemed to be in the wrong place.
Oh and a lack of pressure from the D line.

Agree with all the above but also would like to add that the major thing I saw was lack of discipline. No trust in teammates and to many guys playing for themselves. I'm tired of seeing a guy make a nice tackle after a 20 yard gain and get up and celebrate like he just did something great. Or make a sack on one play and than give up contain for the game winning TD on the next. We need to bring back the hard nosed, disciplined football that we had when our defenses where solid.

BisonNeil
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't have any problem with Hazelton getting the job as DC. My guess is that Bohl wants more involvement with the defense, as has been suggested here by others, and that he was offered a title, a pay increase with the understanding that he is a 'DC in training' with an opporutnity to become the full time DC in the future. In other words, a hand shake deal between Bohl and Scott.

I guess the only thing that bothers me a little is that there hasn't been any net gain in coaches. The staff is still down three and a DL, DB and WR coach is needed badly.

But it is what it is.

1bizon1
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
The time is NOW to bring back Bison tradition with this program. You can change coaches, players, uniforms, logos, many things. But the tradition cannot be changed. We need to see some "Bison swagger", pride for the program back on the turf. It has been absent for a few years and the W-L record shows that too. Eleven guys to the ball after every tackle. I know I've said this before but I strongly believe we need to go back to this.
Come on Mr. Bohl, return us, SU, back to the Thundering Hurd. Make the opponents intimitated to play in the "THUNDERDOME!"

JMHO

17>1
01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, 11 guys to the ball after every tackle.....whatever happened to that? That's the Bison D I grew up watching....and I hope it's back.

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Questioning any move the Bison make is futile. All must be robotic and respond in unison.

I was going for a mocking take at Favre's press conference when he signed with the Vikes, but if it makes you feel better to pounce on anybody that has hope for the NDSU football program, then have at it.

SDbison
01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I was going for a mocking take at Favre's press conference when he signed with the Vikes, but if it makes you feel better to pounce on anybody that has hope for the NDSU football program, then have at it.
Yeah somebody explained that one to me off line. Just missed your hint of sarcasm.
Ok, now that I have adjusted to the current reality let's hurry up and get these recruits signed, have a spring game with positive results, and get to fall practice where we can better contemplate the upcoming season. Whatever it is lets return to our former winning ways. Starts with an upset at Kansas!

godhateswalmart
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, 11 guys to the ball after every tackle.....whatever happened to that? That's the Bison D I grew up watching....and I hope it's back.
They used to play with 12
hmm

jugular
01-28-2010, 02:17 AM
I get what you are saying BH. There are 2 thoughts on this though. Yeah, great players do make great coaches--except those coaches are exposed as maybe not being quite so good when the talent is lacking--they don't coach up the players. I'm hoping that Hazelton is on the other side though...I'm hoping he's a great coach because great coaches make average players better, turn good players into great players and great players into superstars. You should have seen a perfect example of that being a Husker fan. When Cosgrove and Co were coaching the Husker D, they were more than horrible. And they had Suh, Dillard, Asante, etc playing (hell, he managed to screw up a defense that had Ruud, Carriker, Fabian Washington, 2 Bullocks brothers, etc--they gave up 70 to Tech). Listen to what the players say...they learned more in a week under Pelini than they did in a year under Cosgrove. Pelini x2 turned those guys into football players by coaching them up. They believed in Bo and and he turned them into football players and men. If Hazelton can have that kind of impact, then he will turn us into a great unit. I'm excited about the hire because I think he can have this kind of impact.

Bottom line for me is this. Great players make great coaches. We are building a great foundation. BisonNeil has done a nice job talking about people leaving the program. Last year we lost nobody and had what is being considered a very good recruiting class. This year is also looking like a great class. We are building a solid foundation for the future. We also had a ton of injuries and played freshman. Recipe for disaster.

steelbison
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Why do you think it wasn't? Because we didn't go out of the NDSU? What makes you think this guy is going to be a failure. Maybe nobody else wanted the job, point is we got somebody who was here, his recruited players know he is staying and we are now moving ahead.

Great points. Coach has learned to stay in-house to prevent the turnover we have had in recent years and also someone the players know and were recruited by. Will Scott have the exp. as Breske. No, but look how that turned out.

I would much rather have someone that wants to be here and not looking for the next best thing.

Good luck Scott!!!

SDbison
01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Great points. Coach has learned to stay in-house to prevent the turnover we have had in recent years and also someone the players know and were recruited by. Will Scott have the exp. as Breske. No, but look how that turned out.

I would much rather have someone that wants to be here and not looking for the next best thing.

Good luck Scott!!!
So if I owned a company that used to be top notch and was recently dropping in performance it is always best to just let one of the guys go at the top and promote internally to fill the opening with much less experience and credentials just cause I like the guy and he will be a yes man. Seems kind of short-sited and very risky that the move will pay dividends.

bisonhusker
01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
So if I owned a company that used to be top notch and was recently dropping in performance it is always best to just let one of the guys go at the top and promote internally to fill the opening with much less experience and credentials just cause I like the guy and he will be a yes man. Seems kind of short-sited and very risky that the move will pay dividends.

I totally disagree with this analysis. No place does it say Scott is a "yes man." That is your phrase. In your situation, your company chose to hire from within because the guy had a proven track record within the organization and knows the culture of the organization. The person your company chose to go (wait, he quit), was a guy with a nice resume that didn't fit and was not going along with the vision of the CEO.

They hired the guy with a great track record at NDSU. Passion to be at NDSU. A ringing endorsement from Casey Bradley and the Tampa Two (Bohl's defensive choice). I personally don't see the downside. We have had "sexy" hires that end up leaving after a year or two. I think this is a hire we will look back on and be very happy with. He is also proven to be a great recruiter in this class.

Bison"FANatic"
01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Well if the top guy you let go was trying to implement a new system and go away from a system that had worked in previous years and still should work. And the new system was a drastic failure for said company. Then yes I would let them go.

Then replace them with person who was taught by a person (Gus) now at the highest level of their craft and knows the system that had worked in previous years and you had watched this person in your company for numerous years and see something in them that says they will exceed expectations at the position. Then yes promoting from within can work.

When have you heard that Hazelton was promoted because he was a "Yes" man? How do you know he isn't one of the coaches that stepped up and said "We are going in the wrong direction with our D and we need to change". We don't know.

Bison"FANatic"
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I totally disagree with this analysis. No place does it say Scott is a "yes man." That is your phrase. In your situation, your company chose to hire from within because the guy had a proven track record within the organization and knows the culture of the organization. The person your company chose to go (wait, he quit), was a guy with a nice resume that didn't fit and was not going along with the vision of the CEO.

They hired the guy with a great track record at NDSU. Passion to be at NDSU. A ringing endorsement from Casey Bradley and the Tampa Two (Bohl's defensive choice). I personally don't see the downside. We have had "sexy" hires that end up leaving after a year or two. I think this is a hire we will look back on and be very happy with. He is also proven to be a great recruiter in this class.

I guess you typed faster than me:D :D :D :D

steelbison
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Who said anything about a "yes man" I know I didn't.

Risky move?? Let's see..the steelers hired a DC that had one year exp. to be their head coach. Said Coach leads them to a SuperBowl his second year on the job.

Bohl is not going to hire someone to be a "yes man" if Brent and Scott weren't up to the job they would not have the job. Look at last year. Nystrom wasn't given the DC job because apparently Bohl didn't think he was up for it.

Benefit of not bringing in a "hired gun" is these guys WANT to be here long term.

Isn't that a major bitch for the past few years???

SDbison
01-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Just reading between the lines that some posters here have said Bohl wanted someone he can "oversee" (for lack of a better word) while Hazelton comes up to speed as DC. Often times that means the guy is green for the position and will not be able to get to much done the way he wants........i.e. yes man. Sorry if some of you can't comprehend that.

As of this post I am done commenting on this hire.......I still believe it is risky for the guy to assume as important a role as DC when the Bison have been going downhill on defense for the past couple years. Also wonder why NDSU can't attract a prominent candidate from a top notch DII or FCS program and why Bohl took so long to promote from within? Hazelton may end up being great and some of that may be due to him, the quality recruits coming up, and the fact that a usually above average program has been below average for a couple years.

Rant done. Good luck to the new Bison DC. Only time will tell.