PDA

View Full Version : GF Herald

johnson
01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/148298/

met1990
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I think the Herald might need Chapman's assistance in cleaning up its own (forumcomm) budget mess.

aces1180
01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
The Herald and UND have penis envy of NDSU...That's all it is, plain and simple.

tony
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Heh, don't forget this one:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/147890/

I'm torn. On one hand, I think President Hanson has to respond to this horse crap since the other papers might reprint it; on the other hand, I'm afraid Hanson is very eager to agree with any criticism of NDSU no matter how baseless.

Bison"FANatic"
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
aaaaahhhh yaaaaa NDSU gave away tuition waivers so they could be the largest university in ND. Get a life. Correct me if I am wrong but are the tuition waivers not the result of moving more toward increasing research. Researchers and grad assistants don't come to a university to do the research for free. Wasn't the miss on the budget due to students that should be paying their tuition that could not do it in these financial times. It is tough even for students to find jobs. (Example look at DJkyro's post earlier.)

So to the Herald and UND if you want to believe that NDSU "gave away" tuition just to become larger than you go right ahead and live in your fantasy world. Life is always good in a fantasy world. Oh ya and the house had a ton to do with the current budget shortfall. Desperate people looking for desperate excuses on why they are not taking the route of growing the campus that NDSU has. Time will tell which route is the best, I will side with trying to grow over accepting the status quo. Time will tell.

The_Sicatoka
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Mr. Kingsbury's article is written as an opinion piece, on the editorial pages, not as a news story. That's his opinion, right or wrong, agree or disagree.

Now, if it was written as claiming to be hard news that would be a serious journalistic problem.

tony
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Mr. Kingsbury's article is written as an opinion piece, on the editorial pages, not as a news story. That's his opinion, right or wrong, agree or disagree.

Now, if it was written as claiming to be hard news that would be a serious journalistic problem.

Bull crap. Lies are lies and what Kingsbury wrote was a pack of nonsense and assinine conclusions.*

* And the Herald and Kingsbury are speaking as one here as evidenced by the Herald's ludicrous editorial.

NDSUguy
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Opinion or not...the piece was not factual. People ALWAYS believe what they read and the average person reading that piece will not see the difference.

Herd Mentality
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I seem to remember a year where UND gave tuition waivers to the ENTIRE women's hockey team.

Bison bison
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Man did Hanson FU#K UP.

We are $2.5 million behind, but that will be gone by the end of this month!?!

Good thing you scared the sh#t out of some NDSU community members and gave fodder for all the NDSU haters instead of being proactive to address the situation.

Also Jacobs is a dipsh#t. Having a larger enrollment than UND has NEVER been a goal of NDSU. It's a fun stat, especially for alumni, fans, and boosters, but no one manages an institution of higher education like that. NDSU had a goal of growth, but never have I heard that UND was the measure - because it would be stupid.

Also that tuition waiver thing is a foil. I use it to attract grad students that are a hell of a lot better than what I'd get if I only had a stipend to provide. I also take a class which I don't pay for. What does NDSU get in return? 400k competitive research dollars. I'd say that's a fair trade, eh Jacobs?

Finally, NDSU is not slightly larger than UND. It is substantially larger. And it isn't due to online classes. We have more than 15% more full-time students on campus. That's a hellova lot more butts in seats.

Bison bison
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Heh, don't forget this one:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/147890/

I'm torn. On one hand, I think President Hanson has to respond to this horse crap since the other papers might reprint it; on the other hand, I'm afraid Hanson is very eager to agree with any criticism of NDSU no matter how baseless.

I always knew that Kingsbury was a second-rate economist, I didn't know he was also a part-time structural engineer.

lakesbison
01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
looks like similar POO to this:

http://www.areavoices.com/gfhcitybeat/ 2nd blog entry. reason #23842834 NEVER to play these assclowns in any sport. serously, those of you that want to go back to 1984, thats what they are trying to accomplish, to BRING US DOWN! dont let them, dont play them!

Bison bison
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
A little math for the assholes in Grand Forks County.

Fall Enrollment:
NDSU - 14189
UND - 13,172

Online Students:
NDSU - 3,428
UND - 2,908

Calculated Online ONLY Students (Total Enrollment less face-to-face students, less correspondence, less off-campus)
NDSU - 402
UND - 1375

See table 9.

http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/Uploads/reports/245/fall-2009-enrollment-report.pdf

So just to clarify. NDSU has more students take online classes (we also have more students! 24% of NDSU take online courses, 22% of UND students do - a 2% difference! I can't believe it! Those mother-f'ers at NDSU!!!), but most are full-time regular students who are taking a class or two to complement their degree program. Also isn't that precisely what you want when you are cramped for physical space. More than 10% of UND students don't put a foot on campus, but take classes online only.

I have no problem admitting that I'm a cynical a-hole, but these stupid a-hats with agendas drive me nuts!

SDbison
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Man did Hanson FU#K UP.

We are $2.5 million behind, but that will be gone by the end of this month!?!

Good thing you scared the sh#t out of some NDSU community members and gave fodder for all the NDSU haters instead of being proactive to address the situation.

Also Jacobs is a dipsh#t. Having a larger enrollment than UND has NEVER been a goal of NDSU. It's a fun stat, especially for alumni, fans, and boosters, but no one manages an institution of higher education like that. NDSU had a goal of growth, but never have I heard that UND was the measure - because it would be stupid.

Also that tuition waiver thing is a foil. I use it to attract grad students that are a hell of a lot better than what I'd get if I only had a stipend to provide. I also take a class which I don't pay for. What does NDSU get in return? 400k competitive research dollars. I'd say that's a fair trade, eh Jacobs?

Finally, NDSU is not slightly larger than UND. It is substantially larger. And it isn't due to online classes. We have more than 15% more full-time students on campus. That's a hellova lot more butts in seats.
Hanson = Moron
Crap I am so embarassed I am an alumnus of NDSU and this is the garbage we got for an interim president. Show some balls man!

UTH
01-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Online Students:
NDSU - 3,428

Calculated Online ONLY Students (Total Enrollment less face-to-face students, less correspondence, less off-campus)
NDSU - 402

See table 9.

http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/Uploads/reports/245/fall-2009-enrollment-report.pdf

When did they start this?

tony
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
UND complaining about NDSU's online enrollment:

NDSU's on-campus headcount: 13,602
UND's on-campus headcount: 11,207

Bison bison
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Tony, you got me on ignore?

Didn't I just post that?

If you do have me on ignore, go fly a kite. If not, please ignore the previous comment.

tony
01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Tony, you got me on ignore?

Didn't I just post that?

If you do have me on ignore, go fly a kite. If not, please ignore the previous comment.

Hehe, no, I don't have you on ignore. I just summarized because I doubt that anybody at the Herald has the analytical ability to handle anything more than the comparison of two numbers.

Heck, even two numbers might be one too many so... NDSU has 2400 more students on campus than UND. Learn it. Know it. Live it. :)

TheBisonator
01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I didn't waste my time reading that piece of garbage editorial. And I'm a better person for not having to do so.

NDSUstudent
01-22-2010, 05:32 AM
At least the Forum has finally figured things out....

This quote is right on the money...

There is no surprise in that since some lawmakers think “higher education” is the second floor of the high school building in their town. And we use the word “think” advisedly.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/266630/

bisonmike2
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
At least the Forum has finally figured things out....

This quote is right on the money...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/266630/

That is a great quote. I cannot believe someone at the Forum came up with that one.

Bison bison
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I think that quote was absolutely stupid.

A hell of a lot of folks already have an issue with Fargo/Cass County being a smart ass doesn't help.

bisonmike2
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM

A hell of a lot of folks already have an issue with Fargo/Cass County being a smart ass doesn't help.

It hit the nail directly on the head. The people who have been the most outspoken against tuition waivers have no idea what they are and how they work. It's better to be a smart ass then a dumb ass.

Bison bison
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

One should be able to make a point without offending people. That comment was more about slamming state legislators than about educating them.

bisonmike2
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

One should be able to make a point without offending people. That comment was more about slamming state legislators than about educating them.

They are politicians, they cannot be educated. Their minds were already made up before they even ran for office and they cannot be changed.

tony
01-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think the Forum's comment is very helpful either. Besides, if the Forum is going after idiots, why not point the finger where it belongs: The Grand Forks Herald. They are the most outspoken and obvious jackasses out there.

Hansel
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
the heraldo daily anti-NDSU piece

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/148779/

tony
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Mysteriously, online students are no longer an issue...

Tatanka
01-24-2010, 10:06 PM

:rolleyes:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/Decorated%20images/sam-the-eagle-i-dont-approve.jpg

Twentysix
02-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Has the UND NDSU thing always been like this? I was kinda under the impression it was more of a sports thing, not really an adminstrative bashing.

Granted ive only been "in the loop" for about 4 years.

Seems like this is getting downright moronic. This isnt news anymore its just a method for breeding hate...

Someone needs to say enough is enough and scale back the nonsense.

TheBisonator
02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Has the UND NDSU thing always been like this? I was kinda under the impression it was more of a sports thing, not really an adminstrative bashing.

Seems like this is getting downright moronic. This isnt news anymore its just a method for breeding hate...

You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

Tatanka
02-02-2010, 09:14 PM
You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

... and the altar boys.

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM

That is why you will hear many people characterize it as a unhealthy rivalry. This has been tame compared to 6-10 years ago. It was not just a rivalry it was a hatred not just in sports but in the media, at the legislature and others. I admit I miss the rivalry sports games but I just don't miss all of the other bull@#@# that went with it.

aces1180
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
That is why you will hear many people characterize it as a unhealthy rivalry. This has been tame compared to 6-10 years ago. It was not just a rivalry it was a hatred not just in sports but in the media, at the legislature and others. I admit I miss the rivalry sports games but I just don't miss all of the other bull@#@# that went with it.

Meh, every intense rivalry is like that...Go look at Florida-Florida St., Alabama-Auburn or Georgia Tech-Georgia just to name a few...They hate each other on and off the field, which is celebrated by the alumni and fans of those schools...I think it makes the whole experience more enjoyable and entertaining.

99Bison
02-02-2010, 09:32 PM
This goes back practically to the founding of the schools in the 1800's and has never been released, it's heavily political. The 30's were tough very tough on ndsu, which was driven straight from legislature.

johnson
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
This goes back practically to the founding of the schools in the 1800's and has never been released, it's heavily political. The 30's were tough very tough on ndsu, which was driven straight from legislature.
I have a 1938 Bison yearbook and it says something about the Governor appointing the presidents back then. A UND Alum who was governor at that time appointed a President that was pretty much put in place to dismantle the AC. I'll have to pull that off the shelf and read it again.

UTH
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
Truer words have never been spoken.