PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RFM getting the Radio Contract

FarSouth Bison
01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
If we lose Scott and Phil, then I feel it should stay with WDAY. No way, would I want Hammer. Hey maybe Eddy would came back from the east coast to do the broadcast.

Jdubs21
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
im at most of the games so it wouldnt bother me to much...but i will miss the "my oh my!" when i do listen

roadwarrior
01-17-2010, 06:39 PM
NDSU controls who calls the games and their choice is Scott Miller (and I am guessing Phil also). If RFM doesn't like it, they won't get the contract.

DORMIE
01-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Was talking to a friend of mine last night and I guess WDAY hadn't been doing the job that should have been expected. Not really broadcasting enough of our BB games and had gotten pretty complacient. The owner of RFM, Jim Ingstad realizes that NDSU Athletics is the enging that runs this town. He wants to be a part of it and will make it a premier broadcast organization. Looking for the change. They will have the best in broadcasting.

TransAmBison
01-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the info Dormie. As sad it would be to break ties with WDAY, Dormie does make a point. WDAY has done a good job as far as DII went, but what have they really done to bring things to the big time? They are not exactly on the cutting edge. Some responsibility (okay, a lot) falls on NDSU and they seem to be trying to get better exposure. Relax THEsocalledfan, I know this is not FSN, but they are taking babysteps.

Hammersmith
01-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Was talking to a friend of mine last night and I guess WDAY hadn't been doing the job that should have been expected. Not really broadcasting enough of our BB games and had gotten pretty complacent. The owner of RFM, Jim Ingstad realizes that NDSU Athletics is the engine that runs this town. He wants to be a part of it and will make it a premier broadcast organization. Looking for the change. They will have the best in broadcasting.

I kind of suspected that. Remember, that was the same reason WDAY lost the TV contract a couple years back. NDSU split the radio from the TV and asked for separate bids. WDAY didn't bother and submitted a single bid that didn't address what NDSU was asking for. And they were surprised when Hoak got the TV deal. Complacency seems to define WDAY.

johnson
01-18-2010, 03:17 AM
I still think that KFAN can provide some great coverage of NDSU athletics. Doesn't Radio FM have some ties with KVLY as well? This could turn into something big in terms of regional coverage of NDSU athletics.

BisonNeil
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM
NDSU controls who calls the games and their choice is Scott Miller (and I am guessing Phil also). If RFM doesn't like it, they won't get the contract.

So, Scott Miller is an independant announcer, not affiliated with the WDAY network? That would be the only way this could work, right? If not, why would WDAY release Miller to RFM after losing the contract?

I can see how Hansen would move over, not sure I understand how this would work with Miller. Englighten me, please.

Bison"FANatic"
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
With 2 of Millers main items being the announcer for the Bison and for the Redhawks and if neither were on WDAY they might be more willing to part with him. It could get a little interesting.

roadwarrior
01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
So, Scott Miller is an independant announcer, not affiliated with the WDAY network? That would be the only way this could work, right? If not, why would WDAY release Miller to RFM after losing the contract?

I can see how Hansen would move over, not sure I understand how this would work with Miller. Englighten me, please.

Currently Scott works for WDAY, although in the current contract NDSU pays WDAY a talent fee for his services. I am pretty certain that Phil is paid directly from NDSU.

The radio contract pretty much has NDSU buying airtime from the stations. Who does the broadcasts is in the hands of NDSU. NDSU then gets the revenue from the advertising which is sold by NDSU.

It is the intention of NDSU to have Scott continue to handle the play by play duties in the future. How this all works out is why NDSU and RFM are sitting down and doing negotiations on a future contract. It might happen that RFM hires Scott away from WDAY. (RFM also got the radio contract from the Redhawks.)

bincitysioux
01-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Think of it this way: Clear Channel has been the flagship for North Dakota sports for the last umpteen years. Dan Hammer has been doing Sioux games in some capacity for 7 years or so now and has never been an employee of Clear Channel. The school decides who calls the games.

If NDSU wants Miller to do play-by-play and he wants to continue doing it, he will get the nod. If WDAY wants to be an ass about it and tell Miller he can't if he wants to keep his job at 970, I'd doubt Miller would have a hard time jumping off of the sinking ship that is WDAY. Jim Ingstad has never been afraid to have the best talent working for him at RFM........I'm guessing they have an office waiting for him at the Fan.

ndsubison1
01-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Currently Scott works for WDAY, although in the current contract NDSU pays WDAY a talent fee for his services. I am pretty certain that Phil is paid directly from NDSU.

The radio contract pretty much has NDSU buying airtime from the stations. Who does the broadcasts is in the hands of NDSU. NDSU then gets the revenue from the advertising which is sold by NDSU.

It is the intention of NDSU to have Scott continue to handle the play by play duties in the future. How this all works out is why NDSU and RFM are sitting down and doing negotiations on a future contract. It might happen that RFM hires Scott away from WDAY. (RFM also got the radio contract from the Redhawks.)

good. scott miller is a great announcer and i hope he stays

Civil06
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
good. scott miller is a great announcer and i hope he stays

Give him the 740 noon show!:nod:

Bison bison
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM

++++

Thumbs up to this!

heckler
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
++++

Thumbs up to this!

Oh no ... it's noon! Time to switch from 740 to KFAN streaming online!

ISXBISON
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Now that Hallstrom is leaving WDAY, maybe he'll be moonlighting from his new gig and be in the booth or on the sideline when football season arrives. That would be nice.

EndZoneQB
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh no ... it's noon! Time to switch from 740 to KFAN streaming online!

I love being in GF around noon so I can flip on 1440 and hear Common instead of...you know, the firetruck fan. I will give him credit sometimes, I do like the fact its a local show, but it's usually information I heard weeks before from knowing people on the boards and what not.

Either way, has anyone looked at the big picture of getting this on KFAN? They have a large network of stations in MN, I wonder if theres any chance of the FAN radio network picking up some of the games?

HandoEX
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM

Post of the century! I get so sick of getting in my truck at lunch only to hear hammer on the radio. Ugh.

buffalobob
01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
The problem with 740 is their coverage. I live over here in lakes country and get past Hawley and their reception is terrible. They're going to have to up there power if they want to broadcast the bison games!

DIGRAPPLER
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
When I am at the lakes I usually tune into 102.3 to listen to the Bison road games. They have been carrying the Bison game for the last several years. They also do a weekly Bison update that I catch now and then when I am lakes country.

roadwarrior
01-20-2010, 08:32 PM
When I am at the lakes I usually tune into 102.3 to listen to the Bison road games. They have been carrying the Bison game for the last several years. They also do a weekly Bison update that I catch now and then when I am lakes country.

The other stations that have carried the Bison games in North Dakota and Minnesota have no connection to this radio contract. They have separate contracts with NDSU.

DIGRAPPLER
01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
The other stations that have carried the Bison games in North Dakota and Minnesota have no connection to this radio contract. They have separate contracts with NDSU.

So the Bison will still be on 102.3 and other stations on the radio network? If that is the case, why is everyone so worried about coverage area? How many stations were on the network last year?

NDSUstudent
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
So the Bison will still be on 102.3 and other stations on the radio network? If that is the case, why is everyone so worried about coverage area? How many stations were on the network last year?

Coverage area is a concern because what 740 has now is very weak at night, but I have heard that if NDSU gets the contract the signal will likely get a boost.

stevdock
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Coverage area is a concern because what 740 has now is very weak at night, but I have heard that if NDSU gets the contract the signal will likely get a boost.

This better happen, since I was at the Culvers on 25th the other night and 740 was not all that clear. If that is happening in Fargo, what's it going to be like the second you get out of town?

THEsocalledfan
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info Dormie. As sad it would be to break ties with WDAY, Dormie does make a point. WDAY has done a good job as far as DII went, but what have they really done to bring things to the big time? They are not exactly on the cutting edge. Some responsibility (okay, a lot) falls on NDSU and they seem to be trying to get better exposure. Relax THEsocalledfan, I know this is not FSN, but they are taking babysteps.

Any changes to a lousy media situation is positive in my opinion.....

SDbison
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Any changes to a lousy media situation is positive in my opinion.....
Nice that we are taking babysteps....
So how long til we crawl......10 years, walk......another 20?
Who cares its radio! I want my regional TV coverage!

BlueBisonRock
01-27-2010, 06:24 AM

Catching up all night and I have to agree with you on two points! Yes, I want regional (read as satelitte not microwave) TV for multiple sports with more focus on away games, and I really want to see the 10 yard DB cushion eliminated.

THEsocalledfan
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Hey, I was responding to a TAB post and trying to be nice for a change......I will now revert to my negative self.