PDA

View Full Version : Bison Upset #4 Boise State

NDSUstudent
01-16-2010, 05:20 AM
BOZEMAN, Mont. – North Dakota State assistant coach Bret Maughan called Friday’s victory the biggest upset in program history, and for good reason.

The Bison stunned No. 4-ranked Boise State at the Battle in the Big Sky, winning 25-22.

“This is probably the biggest upset we’ve ever pulled off in wrestling,” Maughan said. “It was unbelievable.”

Despite forfeiting one of the weight classes, NDSU was competitive from the start.

“We came out there on fire tonight and went after them,” Maughan said.

Maughan felt that Vince Salminen and Drew Ross managed to get key victories in the 157 and 197-pound weight classes, respecitively.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/266073/

sambini
01-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Fantastic news+++++++++++++

ndsubison1
01-16-2010, 06:03 AM
good job wrestlers!

roadwarrior
01-16-2010, 06:13 AM
WOW!

At Teammakers yesterday Bucky said that Boise State had already beaten Northern Iowa this season 52-0.

Da Bison
01-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Congrats Bucky & Co.

DIGRAPPLER
01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Great win for the program. Glad to see Bucky and the grapplers get a solid win like this. Also, should help recruiting since the match was in Montana. Kris Nelson opened a Montana pipeline.

BisoninNWMN
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Holy crap!!!!!!

Huge win for the wrestling program.....keep building on this success.

Boise beat UNI 52-0........wow!

Looks like the Bison wrestlers can beat a very good team when they all put it together.

Great job

lakesbison
01-16-2010, 02:56 PM
PUMP THAT UP!

everyone has a #25 WIN now, correct??

Wrestling CHECK
BBALL CHECK
FBALL 3 FBS wins (not top 25 of course)
Baseball #17 Oral Roberts
Softball #8 Oklahoma
Volleyball ______??

TheDoctor
01-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Drew Ross seals it with a pin! ;)

UTH
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
“This is probably the biggest upset we’ve ever pulled off in wrestling,” Maughan said. “It was unbelievable.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/266073/

I'll absolutely agree with this statement when applied only to duals. However, I have a hard time going against the perfect storm we enjoyed at the national championship tournament in 2000.

Either way, congratulations are in order...

Awesome job, as always!!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/babyinfantrockoncoolawesomeyourule.jpg

onbison09
01-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Now that is some SHOCK AND AWE!!! I called my former wrestling coach and he said Boise had some backups in but they also had some big dogs. But you gotta wrestle who they put out there. Still a HUGE upset. We're all over intermat and all the wrestling sites. I guess Boise was without half of their starters but still Nationally ranked #14 Alan Bartelli at 125; #3 ranked Andrew Hochstrasser at 133; Jason Chamberlain at 149; #2 ranked Adam Hall at 157; Nate Lee at 174. I bet they wish they put them out there now.

NWNDBison
01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Now that is some SHOCK AND AWE!!! I called my former wrestling coach and he said Boise had some backups in but they also had some big dogs. But you gotta wrestle who they put out there. Still a HUGE upset. We're all over intermat and all the wrestling sites. I guess Boise was without half of their starters but still Nationally ranked #14 Alan Bartelli at 125; #3 ranked Andrew Hochstrasser at 133; Jason Chamberlain at 149; #2 ranked Adam Hall at 157; Nate Lee at 174. I bet they wish they put them out there now.

So, what's the word on why their starters were not wrestling? Injuries? Team discipline? A chance to rest up since they wouldn't be needed against lowly NDSU?

OK. Found the answer myself in a pre-game report in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle:

Randall said since his team is coming off a fifth-place showing at the two-day NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals, he admitted he won’t have his normal starting lineup but “I always expect to win ... and I believe there will be some hard-fought matches that are entertaining.”

Hard-fought and VERY entertaining for Bison fans.

NWNDBison
01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
This is interesting:

(From the Boise State athletic site--refers to National Duals which Boise State claimed 5th place in)

The Broncos' only loss of the weekend [ed: and season at that point] came at the hands of No. 1 ranked Iowa, 20-12. Boise State rebounded with wins against No. 18 Wisconsin (22-12) and No. 7 Cornell (20-19) to finish the tournament.

North Dakota State (3-4, 0-0 Western Wrestling Conference) may enter this weekend's dual with a losing record, but the numbers are a little bit deceiving. The Bison have lost four of seven duals to start the season, but three of their four losses came against top-25 opponents.

NWNDBison
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
By this article, it looks like there should have been a lot of high school wrestlers on hand to watch the Bison overpower the Broncos:

Boise State-NDSU dual helps crowd weekend wrestling schedule (Billings Gazette)

Laslovich said last year4,000 people gathered to watch Michigan defeat Oregon State in a dual that ran in conjunction with the LeProwse, which last year featured 33 teams. This year there are 14 schools entered in the prep event.
“We are hoping to get a big crowd. It will be nice,” Laslovich said. “We will have our tournament going and there is a kids’ tournament going Saturday in Belgrade at the Events Center, so we are hoping a lot of those people show up for the dual, and just people from Bozeman. School is in session at MSU so that should help attendance. Last year school wasn’t in session.”

NWNDBison
01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Excellent article from Bozeman Daily Chronicle (also quoted above)

“I think it’s important because we have a lot of interest in Montana and I know Montana wrestlers have a lot of interest in Boise State,” he [Broncos’ head coach Greg Randall] said. “We’re there so Montana wrestlers can watch our style of wrestling and can see if they want to be a part of that style. Hopefully there are some wrestlers there that watch us and say ‘Hey, I want to wrestle like that.’”

Could be some of those Montana wrestlers watched the NDSU-style of wrestling and said, "Hey, I want to wrestle like that."

Full article:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2010/01/15/sports/20battle.txt

roadwarrior
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Could be some of those Montana wrestlers watched the NDSU-style of wrestling and said, "Hey, I want to wrestle like that."

Here is who is interested in those Montana wrestlers:

Current NDSU roster

Nash Hallfrisch FR - 149 - Great Falls MT
Brian Ham RFR - 133 - Columbia Falls MT
Jake Love FR - 125 - Missoula MT
Vince Salminen JR - 157 - Billings MT
Trent Sprenkle SO - 125 - Billings MT
Tyler Wells RFR - 157 - Kalispell MT

DORMIE
01-16-2010, 06:20 PM
The only one that wrestled, Salminen got a pin at 157. Must have been pretty exciting for him.

Hansel
01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
The only one that wrestled, Salminen got a pin at 157. Must have been pretty exciting for him.

I was at the dual last night- it wasn't Boise's "A team", but NDSU still wrestled well and could have won two more matches. Salminen and Solberg had nice pins, and Patselov totally dominated his guy- I think he had 5+ minutes of riding time.

Ross' pin at 197 was sweet, he was getting handled a bit before he stuck his opponent

G-city Bison Fan
01-17-2010, 01:35 AM
This is great stuff, definitely a big win. I would love to see a wrestling rise up the ladder. It would be nice to be able to hang with the big boys in the upper midwest wrestling scene.

onbison09
01-17-2010, 04:55 AM
I was at the dual last night- it wasn't Boise's "A team", but NDSU still wrestled well and could have won two more matches. Salminen and Solberg had nice pins, and Patselov totally dominated his guy- I think he had 5+ minutes of riding time.

Ross' pin at 197 was sweet, he was getting handled a bit before he stuck his opponent

Dang. That's a truckload of riding time.

Jdubs21
01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
wow great to see!!!!

DjKyRo
01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Now I wish I paid more attention to wrestling! Way to represent, guys!

roadwarrior
01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Bucky talked about the match today at Teammakers. The match was run in conjunction with a high school wrestling tournament and also a youth tournament. Because Montana and Montana State do not have wrestling teams they bring in outside teams to wrestle as the featured event.

Vince Salminen (Billings) was the only NDSU wrestler on the roster from the state of Montana that wrestled in the match. When he pinned his opponent from Boise State, the crowd of about 3 or 4 thousand gave him a standing ovation for several minutes. For the remainder of the match, the impartial crowd was behind NDSU 100%.

SDbison
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Congrats Bison Wrestlers! Time for NDSU to join the Big Ten!

Just kidding about the Big Ten part!
although would be awesome someday.

Bison101
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
WHY ISN"T THIS BIGGER NEWS!?!?!??!

Congrats!

BisoninNWMN
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
WHY ISN"T THIS BIGGER NEWS!?!?!??!

Congrats!

WHY?

Because wrestling takes a back seat to football and BB.

Wrestling has the potential to be the best program in the athletic department, along with FB.

Good luck wrestlers on your east coast tour!!!

onbison09
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
WHY?

Wrestling has the potential to be the best program in the athletic department, along with FB.

They should wreck out there. Wrestling some pretty meh teams.

TheBisonator
01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Let's try to somehow get wrestling into the Big XII, along with UNI and SDSU.

Big XII only has 5 wrestling members.

CaBisonFan
01-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Way to go Bison!!!

Great to see one of our traditionally dominant programs on the upswing. Wow!!

CaBisonFan
01-30-2010, 02:10 AM
WHY?

Agreed...in many respects it has as much history as football as far as dominance is concerned.

TheDoctor
01-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Air Force in 5 minutes, lets get a conference win!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

CaBisonFan
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
In many ways, this is as big as anything SU has done since the transition began. The wrestling community, which I realize is smaller, has to take notice of this...attendance will increase...recruiting will get easier...etc.

I love it...Air Force in our conference. Wish it were football too.

tjbison
01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Wish the WWC had a web site!!! atleast I can't find it

TheDoctor
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
I want to make something clear though. While this was an accomplishment, it was a bit of a play on words. If you beat the #4 wrestler in the nation, you beat the #4 wrestler in the nation. If you beat the #4 rated team in the nation and they decide not to wrestle a number of their studs, winning is definitely winning, but don't pretend we beat the stud wrestlers that didn't wrestle. Thats all I am saying. We should be proud of the win, BUT be realistic about what we did. ;)

onbison09
02-01-2010, 02:05 AM
I want to make something clear though. While this was an accomplishment, it was a bit of a play on words. If you beat the #4 wrestler in the nation, you beat the #4 wrestler in the nation. If you beat the #4 rated team in the nation and they decide not to wrestle a number of their studs, winning is definitely winning, but don't pretend we beat the stud wrestlers that didn't wrestle. Thats all I am saying. We should be proud of the win, BUT be realistic about what we did. ;)

Yep ++++++