PDA

View Full Version : My Summit Power Rankings....

GoJacks
01-15-2010, 04:29 AM
1.) Oakland 6-0

All alone at the top. Their win at ORU gives them a great shot at running the table.

T-2.) SDSU 5-1

3-1 already on the road. I believe, after tommorow, the Jacks will have played the most games on the road so far in the Summit. Road record and win over ORU give Jacks legitimacy so far.

T-2.) IUPUI 5-1

Overtime win over ORU tonight in Conseco Fieldhouse after they led ORU by 15 at the half. Just 1-1 on the road (4-0 at home) but one road loss was at Oakland (82-85), so they have that out of the way. Jags Have already played Oakland, SDSU and ORU and are 5-1, telling me they are legit. I think they end up taking second place this year and could give Oakland their toughest test.

4.) Oral Roberts 4-3

Who would have thought after ORU beat #12 New Mexico that they would go just 3-2 in the Summit. To their benefit, they have some tough games out of the way. They are done with the Dakota trip (a roadtrip they've never swept) as well as a home game against Oakland and a road game at IUPUI. They have already played all three teams above them, 2 on the road. ORU is averaging the second fewest point in conference and their outside and FT shooting has been awful. A quick note while we're on free throws....the Summit has 4 teams in the top 46 in the country (SUU 11th, Centenary 28th, SDSU 43rd, IUPUI 46th)

5.) UMKC 2-3

The good news...they have already played at Oakland and ORU. Not a bad team who is good enough to beat everyone below them at home or on the road. They have already won more games than they did all last year.

6.) NDSU 2-3

Bison are just 1-4 versus D1 teams at home, not a good sign. Their two wins are @WIU and home against Centenary, not very impressive. Two of their other three conference losses are okay (ORU and @IUPUI) but the loss at SUU is not good. Could jump ahead of UMKC, but I don't think much further. The good news is they look like they can't fall any lower, or, behind the likes of SUU, CC, WIU or IPFW.

7.) Centenary 2-5

The Gents actually started out pretty good this year (4-2) before dropping eight of their last nine. Only two league wins are both at home over SUU and IPFW, so nothing really special there. They have 7 games left against the top four, so I don't expect an improvement at all for the Gents.

8.) IPFW 2-4

The good news for the 'Dons is they have already played Oakland, ORU and IUPUI. The bad news is they lost all those games by 8 or more and also lost at Centenary by 13. Their two league wins are both at home and both over the worst two teams in the league.

9.) WIU 1-5

Leathernecks just claimed their first league win of the year, over Centenary at home. They are tops in the league in defense, but the exact opposite on offense. They have one player averaging double-digits (Clark 12.3). They have three road games out of the way, two against IUPUI and Oakland. If they get some help on offense they could jump up to 7th, but probably not any higher.

10.) SUU 1-5

The T-Birds are winless on the road for the season. Their lone win was a come-from-behind home win over NDSU. Their wins this year are over McNeese St, Southwest, Wayland Baptist, Cal Riverside and NDSU. I think SUU will be what we thought UMKC and/or Centenary would be this year....a trainwreck.

My predicted finish:

1.) Oakland

2.) IUPUI

3.) ORU

4.) SDSU

5.) NDSU

6.) UMKC

7.) WIU

8.) *Centenary

9.) IPFW

10.) SUU

* not eligible for postseason play

ndsubison1
01-15-2010, 05:22 AM
1. Oakland
2. IUPUI
3. Oral Roberts
3. SDSU- Even though they beat ORU, ORU still has some impressive wins
5. NDSU
6. IPFW
7. UMKC
8. Centenary
9. SUU
10. WIU

DjKyRo
01-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Overall I'm inclined to agree. I don't have the in-depth breakdown of each team, but the shoe fits as far as I can tell.

Goes to show that even in a "down year" NDSU is still in the upper half of the league. Good sign!

NDSUstudent
01-15-2010, 05:30 AM
IUPUI is a pretty clear #2. They beat ORU, they beat SDSU(by 22), and they lost at Oakland by 3. ORU has been a bit of a disappointment, they are still playing hard but they do still lack a solid point guard. I would put them tied at #3 with SDSU.

After that UMKC and NDSU.

The last group is a toss up.

99Bison
01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, last group is a toss up, but seems like Davis Baker can practically get them into the 8 spot to make the tourney all by himself :D

ndsubison1
01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
i cant wait til SUU comes to the bsa. i hope the have the same coaches

DjKyRo
01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
i cant wait til SUU comes to the bsa. i hope the have the same coaches

I wish I were at the game against ORU - it's always fun when Sutton comes to town. :nod:

NDSUFan_Sav
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
IUPUI is a pretty clear #2. They beat ORU, they beat SDSU(by 22), and they lost at Oakland by 3. ORU has been a bit of a disappointment, they are still playing hard but they do still lack a solid point guard. I would put them tied at #3 with SDSU.

After that UMKC and NDSU.

The last group is a toss up.

disappointment maybe? but didn't they lose 3 guards/players for the season or am i wrong? They also have some nice wins.

JacksFan06
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
My rankings:

1. Oakland (but not with a bullet, I think they can be beat)
2. IUPUI (I have a feeling they will be worn out come tourney time because of their lack of depth)
3. SDSU (Seem to be getting better each week, big test tonight)
4. ORU (well balanced)
5. IPFW (under-rated, Yearby is a stud, solid guard play)
6. NDSU (could wear down come tourney time with lack of depth)
7. UMKC (most surprising team of the year)
8. SUU (I think they will continue to improve, Baker is best scorer in league)
9. WIU (defensive team that can be sneaky good at times)
10 Cent (I think the polish has worn off, young gimmicky team)

Twentysix
01-16-2010, 06:15 AM
1. Oakland - Solid win
2. IUPUI - Solid win
3. ORU - Maybe win
4. NDSU - I may change my mind later but i would say both SU's are pretty equal
5. SDSU -Also think either SU's will knock out either UMKC or ORU in the tourney.
6. UMKC - Could upset
7. SUU - No chance against IUPUI
8. IPFW - No chance against oakland

----------------------

Seedings and first round thoughts.

CaBisonFan
01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
My rankings:

1. Oakland (but not with a bullet, I think they can be beat)
2. IUPUI (I have a feeling they will be worn out come tourney time because of their lack of depth)
3. SDSU (Seem to be getting better each week, big test tonight)
4. ORU (well balanced)
5. IPFW (under-rated, Yearby is a stud, solid guard play)
6. NDSU (could wear down come tourney time with lack of depth)
7. UMKC (most surprising team of the year)
8. SUU (I think they will continue to improve, Baker is best scorer in league)
9. WIU (defensive team that can be sneaky good at times)
10 Cent (I think the polish has worn off, young gimmicky team)

I'd put SDSU somewhere between 5 & 8...with the Bison somewhere between 3 & 5. The Bison are just beginning to believe that they can have a team this year.

X-Factor
01-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd put SDSU somewhere between 5 & 8...with the Bison somewhere between 3 & 5. The Bison are just beginning to believe that they can have a team this year.

woahhhhh not so fast. The future is bright but this team has nowhere near the depth right now to consider finishing 3rd in this league in reg season play. You just don't graduate 4 of the best all time players to wear your uniform, lose your #1 guard for the season, kick off your starting center, and have a season ending injury to an excellent shooter in felt and not see a significant drop off. This is a SERIOUS rebuilding year at NDSU, and with all that said I am damn proud of the way we are competing given the situation (and we still beat SDSU who returned 5 starters this year).

I believe it bodes extremely well for the future, and not so well for the other teams in the league (especially that pompous ORU team). I am still snickering to myself after the win over that brookings team last night. They have their best team in years after returning all 5 starters and they still wont be able to sweep us this year. Quite the turn of events after reading a lot of cocky predictions on the bunny board prior to this season. What do you suppose will happen next year with felt, coleman, Bjorkland, Williams, etc added to the roster? I doubt those bunnies will be seeing very many more wins against us in the future. When we meet in Brookings later this season may be their last chance for quite some time.

NDSUstudent
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
I think we finish 5th or maybe 4th if we catch a few breaks, not that it matters since we would play the same team regardless in SF. Probably match up with SDSU in round 1 in Sioux Falls. I'm fine with that, this team will only continue to get better. A game in SF against the Jacks could be epic.