PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Samuel

BurroBlue
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Reportedly offered a contract to Central Michigan for next year.

BurroBlue
01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
And I just read that in another thread, so feel free to enter your "ECHO" comments here:

SDbison
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
ECHO......
Geez, can we have just one year with 0 or even only 1 coach that leaves? If Samuel were to leave that would be 3 for this year! What are we averaging, something like 2.3 coaches leaving every year? I don't care what anyone says about promoting coaches to better positions elsewhere. There is just too much of it going on and its hurting the football program at NDSU.

Grizzled
01-14-2010, 09:22 PM
ECHO......
Geez, can we have just one year with 0 or even only 1 coach that leaves? If Samuel were to leave that would be 3 for this year! What are we averaging, something like 2.3 coaches leaving every year? I don't care what anyone says about promoting coaches to better positions elsewhere. There is just too much of it going on and its hurting the football program at NDSU.

Amen SD. I've been saying that all year. Other programs just don't turn over coaches like this, especially when they are 6-5 and 3-8.

DjKyRo
01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
ECHO......

Agreed. If it were even 1 a year it could be viewed as a positive and as NDSU's success translating to getting noticed by bigger schools - at this rate it's hurting our on the field success more than its helping our national image.

Facts
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Maybe a positive aspect of this is NDSU's good reputation for turning out good coaches will continue to attract good coaches to fill the ranks.

SDbison
01-15-2010, 03:35 AM
Maybe a positive aspect of this is NDSU's good reputation for turning out good coaches will continue to attract good coaches to fill the ranks.
dduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.....I think you missed the point. A constant turnstile of coaches may prove NDSU can crank out great coaches, but it will decimate the chances of having consistent winning seasons and regular playoff appearances.

yippie
01-15-2010, 03:36 AM
ECHO......

I agree 100% with what you are saying here. But, you can't honestly think some young up and coming coach will not jump ship to division 1 and a program that is not a bottom tier team in the FBS ranks. People who haven't been around the program often don't truly understand what it means to be a bison. This why you see so many coaches leaving for the bigger stage in my honest opinion.

DORMIE
01-15-2010, 03:47 AM
As I recall, current Assistant Coach, Defensive Ends, AJ Cooper played TE with the Bison. If Samuel leaves, make AJ the Wide Receivers Coach. As I understand, he has been steller in this year in recruiting.

SDbison
01-15-2010, 03:48 AM
I agree 100% with what you are saying here. But, you can't honestly think some young up and coming coach will not jump ship to division 1 and a program that is not a bottom tier team in the FBS ranks. People who haven't been around the program often don't truly understand what it means to be a bison. This why you see so many coaches leaving for the bigger stage in my honest opinion.
Bison football should not be a coaches development school with a graduation of 2 or 3 every year. Montana, Appy and Northern Iowa and other winning FCS programs don't have that kind of turnover. There has to be some stability. Not saying everybody has to stay year in and year out, but the current departure rate is NOT GOOD FOR BISON FOOTBALL.

Trampled
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I agree with SD 100%!! The turn-stile has to slow down for the Bison to be consistently successful. The problem with this is how do you do it? If you hire experienced coaches from bigger programs, they are continually looking to go back up and they have more connections to do so. If you hire proven coaches from lower divisions, they don't have the experience at FCS level and may require time to get acclimated to this level of player and the speed of the game. It is difficult for for any coach to come in and in a matter of months expect them to have their positions coached up to the maximum it can be. I am inclined to think that the latter method would be better for long term however, as the head coach should have the final say on the recruits abilities at the FCS level. The coaches from lower divisions would likely take longer to move up to higher levels as they don't have the network of friends established yet.

stevdock
01-15-2010, 02:49 PM
The only way to stop this is to stop hiring so many coaches outside of the Bison family. There are many qualified coaches out there or we have had in the past that played here and want to stay here/get back here. Those are the guys we need to have coaching if this turnstile is ever going to slow down. For example, got to keep AJ Cooper, Vigen, etc. If he wanted it, we need to get Feeney in here.

Scooter1
01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I would say we should get the best coaches we can. It appears that is what we have been doing. I'd rather hire guys that are in demand than some guy that was in the Bison program and needs a shot. Don't get me wrong, it is good to give these guys a shot. However, just who would these former Bison coaches be that you speak of? All of the coaches that have left (with a few exceptions) have grown beyond NDSU. I think we should take pride in this fact.

Why would we want to hire a guy who didn't have an impressive track record? The same people that are saying stop the turn style will be the same ones going "who is this freaking guy? What the hell is Bohl doing? Is that the best he can get in here?!? What the hell is going on?!?" I guess if we hire guys that aren't in demand the team will suffer because they may not initialy have the skills but we can take solice in the fact that they have that Bison Pride everyone talks about. (this post is not about Bison Pride) When you talk with these coaches that have left and look in their eyes, they aren't the eyes of coaches that are glad to be the hell out of NDSU. These are the eyes of coaches that are excited about the next step in their life.

To play devil's advocate for a moment..We have a coach at NDSU who litterally shits green and yellow. He's a great guy and will probably do very well in his coaching career. However, in the past two years, we have totally trashed a quarterback while convieniently omitting the fact that this kid was being guided by a position coach who never played quarterback. Do you honestly think that this young Bison Pride bleeding coach was the best person for an FCS quarterbacks coaching job? Could it be that some of the problems that we had at this position was a direct result of the inexperience this coach initially had?

These coaches that have left have taken better jobs. There isn't one person who could honestly say that a motivated, confident coach would turn down a new challenge with a nice raise in pay to stay the status quo in their career. I would feel sorry for the coach who stayed out of loyalty to Bison Pride if, in the future, he had regrets for not taking that chance. Sure, hire former Bison but only if you see the potential that these guys will have the tools to move beyond NDSU. Moving beyond what you are now; isn't that what college is all about?

met1990
01-15-2010, 04:02 PM
First off, best of luck to Samuel in the future.

Second, let's quit kidding ourselves. Bohl doesn't need to hire any new coaches. He simply needs to read Bisonville's finest posts to know how to properly run the team. Maybe NDSU can get him a Blackberry for in-game adjustments.

Facts
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
dduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.....I think you missed the point. A constant turnstile of coaches may prove NDSU can crank out great coaches, but it will decimate the chances of having consistent winning seasons and regular playoff appearances.

Noooooooooooooooooo, I didn't miss the point. I was just looking at the one positive aspect in an overly negative situation. It is what it is. NDSU will have to deal with it, and I think we'll keep getting good coaches.

PS, Drive safe this weekend.

A1pigskin
01-15-2010, 05:45 PM
This seems to be a repeat.

Bison"FANatic"
01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Hopefully the loss of Samuel won't hurt us with our two WR recruits Vraa and Gebhart because I am pumped to see them on the field in a Bison uniform. We have a history of replacing the WR coach with another good one but I remember a post that said Gebhart really liked Breske and Samuel and with them not being here???? Hopefully they are Bison next year as the program hasn't changed just a few parts have. I guess we will find out in less than a month.

Grizzled
01-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Hopefully the loss of Samuel won't hurt us with our two WR recruits Vraa and Gebhart because I am pumped to see them on the field in a Bison uniform. We have a history of replacing the WR coach with another good one but I remember a post that said Gebhart really liked Breske and Samuel and with them not being here???? Hopefully they are Bison next year as the program hasn't changed just a few parts have. I guess we will find out in less than a month.

I doubt it. This coaching revolving door that we seem to have has been going on for years now and hasn't seemed to affect recruiting. We have kids who have been recruited here and have had different position coaches all five years they have been here and have stuck around.

OldBison
01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I know most think it is a great thing that the program has a revolving door with coaches, but I personally believe it limits success over the long haul. Players need continuity, they need to develop within a philosophy. When their position coaches change 2 or 3 times in their career, I think it limits their ability to develop.

As I said before, the average stay of Bohl's coaches, before Samuel stayed a mere two years, was 2.9 years. A very short stay for coaches over his 7 yrs here.

All of the successful programs in FCS have coaches that stay 6-9 years before moving on. The shortest tenure among the really successful programs I found was under Hauck at Montana. In his 7 yrs at MT his coaches stayed an average of 5.6 yrs.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18732&page=9&highlight=OldBison

In my opinion the turnstile for coaches is not a good thing. Who cares that they go to better and bigger jobs? It does nothing for the NDSU program, which is the only one I care about. :hungry: :hungry:

The short stays of his coaches make me wonder what he is like to work for.

BlueBisonRock
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I know most think it is a great thing that the program has a revolving door with coaches, but I personally believe it limits success over the long haul. Players need continuity, they need to develop within a philosophy. When their position coaches change 2 or 3 times in their career, I think it limits their ability to develop.

As I said before, the average stay of Bohl's coaches, before Samuel stayed a mere two years, was 2.9 years. A very short stay for coaches over his 7 yrs here.

All of the successful programs in FCS have coaches that stay 6-9 years before moving on. The shortest tenure among the really successful programs I found was under Hauck at Montana. In his 7 yrs at MT his coaches stayed an average of 5.6 yrs.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18732&page=9&highlight=OldBison

In my opinion the turnstile for coaches is not a good thing. Who cares that they go to better and bigger jobs? It does nothing for the NDSU program, which is the only one I care about. :hungry: :hungry:

The short stays of his coaches make me wonder what he is like to work for.

This is interesting, but I am not seeing the connection between the hypothesis, the data & analysis, and the inference.

Are you infering that the longer tenure of other programs has a direct influence on their success as a program (thus also stating that NDSU would be less successful based on a shorter coaching tenure),

Or the shorter tenure of Bohl's assistants imply
1) the assistants as individuals are more capable and driven by personal success ... or
2) Bohl is difficult to work for?

CarringtonBison
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
The bigger picture we need to keep in mind is that these coaches all moved up to bigger and better jobs. Now someone may look and find one that was a parallel move or downward, but in my recollection, they all went on to bigger and better things. Can you blame them-if someone in your current job came to work on Monday and offered you more "prestige", more money (in some cases much more), and the chance to move up in your profession, would you stay?

Does the turnstile hurt? Yes it does, but at least we have high quality coaches that make a difference.

I don't think it is because of Bohl they are leaving-at least not ALL the cases (maybe individual ones here or there). They are moving upward-who wouldn't. Maybe some of these other program's assistants haven't had the same types of offers/opportunities-we don't know that.

ndsubison1
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
maybe we need to increase their salaries to give them some incentive to stay longer

westnodak93bison
01-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Who is a logical replacement?

sambini
01-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Is AJ Cooper ready?

OldBison
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
This is interesting, but I am not seeing the connection between the hypothesis, the data & analysis, and the inference.

Are you infering that the longer tenure of other programs has a direct influence on their success as a program (thus also stating that NDSU would be less successful based on a shorter coaching tenure),

Or the shorter tenure of Bohl's assistants imply
1) the assistants as individuals are more capable and driven by personal success ... or
2) Bohl is difficult to work for?

I do believe that assistant coaching continuity has a direct and positive effect on a program and the corollary is that programs that can't keep coaches will be less successful than they could be (not to be confused with unsuccessful).

I am not implying anything else. Just thinking and writing at the same time. It could be either #1 or #2, I don't know, just wondering which it is. :(

OldBison
01-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Is AJ Cooper ready?

I'd like to believe he is ready for a promotion, just like Polasek was a few years ago when Steve Laqua left. I think they are both great coaches and with all the connections we have been hearing about with recruits dropping AJ's name, I think he is deserving of that promotion :nod: :nod: :nod: