PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Success of Spread Forces Fundamental Changes on Defense

Kermit
01-12-2010, 01:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/30spread.html

The changes come in all shapes, sizes and alignments. But they are all predicated on one thing — speed. The point of the spread offense is to create space to take advantage of one-on-one matchups, with the notion that one missed tackle or deft move could lead to a big play.

And although defenses need smaller and quicker players to match up better in the open field, they also need to show enough different looks to disrupt the quarterback’s rhythm.

“If all things are equal or we have better guys than you and you sit in some base defense, it’s not a good day for you,” Meyer said. “If you have better players than we do, then you’ll be fine. If you sit and play vanilla, you have no chance.”

That meant an overhaul of the traditional defensive paradigm.

“Most of our linebackers are converted strong safeties, most of our defensive ends are converted linebackers,” he said. “I’ve always been a speed-over-size defensive guy, anyway, but to defend the spread, it’s needed. The spread offense is basically getting better athletes than the other team, getting them in space and beating them one on one.”

Kermit
01-12-2010, 01:55 AM
In this new paradigm, the base defense might be a 3-4, a 3-3-5, or a 4-2-5. The bottom line is SPEED. How does the Bison personnel fit? Guys like Garrett Johnson, Leevon Perry, even Justin Juckem might be defensive tackles. Cole Jirik is not "under-sized,"rather he might be an ideal defensive end. Brandon Jemison, Carlton Littlejohn are linebackers not safeties. Christian Dudzik is recruited as a safety, not a CB. Yes, it is all starting to make sense..

westnodak93bison
01-12-2010, 02:02 AM
If there is a change so be it. I'm sick of seeing our corners give a 12yd cushion on 3rd and 6. I understand the prevent the big play theory but for cripes sake last year was just ridiculous.

EndZoneQB
01-12-2010, 03:54 AM
In this new paradigm, the base defense might be a 3-4, a 3-3-5, or a 4-2-5. The bottom line is SPEED. How does the Bison personnel fit? Guys like Garrett Johnson, Leevon Perry, even Justin Juckem might be defensive tackles. Cole Jirik is not "under-sized,"rather he might be an ideal defensive end. Brandon Jemison, Carlton Littlejohn are linebackers not safeties. Christian Dudzik is recruited as a safety, not a CB. Yes, it is all starting to make sense..

It really does make a lot more sense now. I never really thought about it this way exactly, but it clearly shows that Bohl might actually have a plan in place. I don't remember exactly, but when we played in the GW, we didn't see a ton of spread, until we played southland schools(See SHSU and SFA giving us all we could handle in our good years), which is also why we probably matched up well with the Goofers and CMU. The thing that I like about our recruits is that they seem to be better athletes, but also have the potential for some size. Maybe some what of a happy medium??

tony
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
So do you think NDSU is going to go to the 3-4?

It looks like almost half of this this year's recruits fit the LB/S mold.

Kermit
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM

The Bison really struggled on defense last season, and they've had trouble defending the spread for years. One possible conclusion (not the only one) is that a change in defensive philosophy is warranted. A base 4-3 defense is certainly not designed to stop the spread. If Morell is hired as DC, I think it means the Bison are changing philosophies. We'll see..

Grizzled
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Why do you suppose Bohl would have _______ a 3-4 coach to bring in another one only to switch to a 3-4 at that time? I would have no problems with the change but in all fairness to Coach Breske would have liked for him to get a fair chance with his 3-4 before he ________. Didn't like him as a 4-3 coach but he has proven he can field some good defenses against some very good teams while running the 3-4

tony
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Why do you suppose Bohl would have forced out a 3-4 coach to bring in another one only to switch to a 3-4 at that time? I would have no problems with the change but in all fairness to Coach Breske would have liked for him to get a fair chance with his 3-4 before he was let go. Didn't like him as a 4-3 coach but he has proven he can field some good defenses against some very good teams while running the 3-4

Why do you think that Breske was forced out rather than going to Montana voluntarily? Seems like quite a coincidence to me.

Grizzled
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Just going by what I heard and the fact that he left before the Montana staff was gone to UNLV. Didn't mean to word it that way I guess its just how it came out since thats how I feel. Don't want to turn this into a discussion about Breske though as that has been beat to death.

Edited my original post.:D

tony
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Just going by what I heard and the fact that he left before the Montana staff was gone to UNLV. Didn't mean to word it that way I guess its just how it came out since thats how I feel. Don't want to turn this into a discussion about Breske though as that has been beat to death.

I agree about not turning this into a discussion about Breske. :)

bisonmike2
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
great article. Can someone please forward this to Bohl?

BlueBisonRock
01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
great article. Can someone please forward this to Bohl?

Why, there was no reference to coaching special teams?

:D

ndsubison1
01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
for the 3-4 to be successful vs. the spread you need a very good interior lineman that can control the line scrimmage and get into the backfield... i think matt gratzek is more than capable of doing that job

westnodak93bison
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Green Bay's 3-4 just gave up half a hundred to Arizona

HerdBot
01-13-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/30spread.html

Great article. Got to change with the times. There is a reason why we're struggling in the MVFC. They all run spread offenses and we're built to stop the traditional run offense. It's like the article was meant to be read by us!

BisonNolesFan77
01-13-2010, 01:11 AM

It's not all just speed, you need size in there as well. Look at what recruiting just speed has done to a team like FSU. Here is another good read on why you need more than just speed on a defense...

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2009/3/11/737204/strategy-session-size-does

CaBisonFan
01-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Not arguing...agreeing...so if we look at the past few years when our defense spent an awful lot of time on the field, it would seem that we've made the recruiting adjustment in the LB/S mold. I still like the 3-5-5 concept...:D

Actually, I think you're right about the 3-4. Question: Didn't one of the FCS playoff teams have a pretty radical approach, something like a 3-3-5? Not just in some situations...but more as a rule. Not sure. The spread/wildcat offenses would drive a traditional DC to drink.

steelbison
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Not arguing...agreeing...so if we look at the past few years when our defense spent an awful lot of time on the field, it would seem that we've made the recruiting adjustment in the LB/S mold. I still like the 3-5-5 concept...:D

Actually, I think you're right about the 3-4. Question: Didn't one of the FCS playoff teams have a pretty radical approach, something like a 3-3-5? Not just in some situations...but more as a rule. Not sure. The spread/wildcat offenses would drive a traditional DC to drink.

Yes..the Champs..Villanova Wildcats ran that D..

stevdock
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
This is my opinion as I have seen our defense get shredded by the spread for years. Defending the spread, yes you need speed, but more what you need is to play assignment football. It is very similar to playing defense against the option. Interior Line takes the dive. Exterior/OLB takes QB/RB. However you design your defense to stop it. But the problem is you HAVE to execute your assignment every single time. One thing we have been doing for at least the last few years is having our DE's going after the dive back. If I were an opposing QB and see our CONTAIN DE's going after the dive, then I keep it every time and get what I can.

If you go back to Illinois State this year, it happened every single time, the QB just didn't call his number until it counted with the game winning TD. It happened all year and a good amount of time in the past also.

I honestly think that while yes speed helps and the most speed you can get on the field is in a 3-3-5, you can also run a bunch of different defenses against it and have success if all 11 players execute their assignment every single play.

tony
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I honestly think that while yes speed helps and the most speed you can get on the field is in a 3-3-5, you can also run a bunch of different defenses against it and have success if all 11 players execute their assignment every single play.

Couldn't agree more. Perfect example: NDSU v Cal Poly in 2005, NDSU got absolutely hammered 37-6. Lots of people, including media guys, saidthat NDSU simply didn't have the speed to compete with the better FCS teams. Next year, with almost the same defense, the Bison absolutely crushed them 51-14. Sure, the Bison looked faster but it was because they were executing their assignments.

Kermit
01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
This is my opinion as I have seen our defense get shredded by the spread for years. Defending the spread, yes you need speed, but more what you need is to play assignment football.

Excellent post. Your points are well made.