PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Hire Caroll

Bisonfan1
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Pete Caroll just hired by the Seatle Seahawks to a 5 year deal, they are also interested in Frasier from Minnesota for DC. Fine with me - Fraiser to Seatle - Gus Bradley to the Minnesota Vikings !!! http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/report-carroll-seahawks-agree-on-five-year-deal

BisonNolesFan77
01-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Pete Caroll just hired by the Seatle Seahawks to a 5 year deal, they are also interested in Frasier from Minnesota for DC. Fine with me - Fraiser to Seatle - Gus Bradley to the Minnesota Vikings !!! http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/report-carroll-seahawks-agree-on-five-year-deal

Fraiser was getting interviewed for HC in Seattle...the only way he is going to leave the Vikings is for a HC job. Unless Fraiser lands the Buffalo HC job, he isn't going to be leaving the Vikings this season.

ndsubison1
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
rooney rule is stupid. theres no point to it

EndZoneQB
01-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Why the hell would Caroll think this is a good idea? I guess he'll get paid even if he sucks and some college will hire him in 3 years.

BisonNolesFan77
01-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Why the hell would Caroll think this is a good idea? I guess he'll get paid even if he sucks and some college will hire him in 3 years.

The guy is going to get paid! $7 Million a year...cant say I argue...I would get out of USC as well with all the B.S. that is going on there. The Bush stuff, the McKnight stuff, and probably more stuff to come...

And like you said, say he fails, gets canned, there is always college ball...

Bisonfan1
01-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Seahawks will hire Fraiser as DC - Gus will be the new Vikings DC - Its a perfect world !!! GO GUS !!!!

SUBISON247
01-10-2010, 03:44 AM
My guess is that Caroll will clean house by Monday. I don't know where Gus will end up, but I'm guessing that he will not be a DC in the NFL this year. It sucks when guys get wrapped up in the wash of a bad situation such as poor play and injuries. Gus has worked his way up the ladder very fast and will once again get to the top. I know that he is more than welcome to come back and coach our D.

4mcruenomore
01-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Why would you leave sunny So Cal for a shitbox.

SUBISON247
01-10-2010, 03:53 AM

Because the shit is about to hit the fan in So Cal, and shit in a box is much better than shit hitting a fan( it goes everywhere).

CaBisonFan
01-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Rumors in SoCal (and probably elsewhere) are that he has been really upset with Garrett, the AD, about his handling of the ncaa cases at USC.

Carroll was also VERY upset when Sanchez left a year early. He's gotten really tired of losing guys early. Mainly, I think that he's personally ready for a change. He loves USC, the job, the recruiting ability...but he wants to try the NFL one more time.

Another point of discussion down here is that the biggest problem as head coach at USC has been trying to keep everyone happy with playing time. Is there such a thing as recruiting too well? And...he hasn't found a backfield like he had when Reggie, Leinart, & White were on the team.

Great job, great prestige for recruiting, big money, & monster pressure.

How 'bout 35 million to work 5 years in Seattle? He can do it and retire well...extremely well. No-brainer in terms of the money. Add the income from advertisements, endorsements, speaking, etc...and wowza. It'll be a lot more than 35 mill. Seattle is one of my favorite cities. Rains a ton...but it's beautiful. And as some have written, if sanctions are on the way...ah...time to leave. I pity the replacement.

Sorry...one more thing: Every starting position at USC has been fully endowed by a booster. They've given millions to support the schollie for a long, long time. Sports Illustrated did a feature story on this several years ago. It's a blessing & a curse. There's a booster in the stands watching 'their' player at every home game.

Text message to Pete..."why aren't ya playin' Devon?! Git Devon in there! It's my position, so play who I tell ya to!"

Man...that sounds like fun...:cool:

CaBisonFan
01-10-2010, 04:23 AM

USC is in the middle of a shitbox. It's the main reason why the Lakers aren't at the Forum anymore. The Forum is still a great facility. A lot of people don't like the Staples Center. It's very sterile & cold. The rich & famous didn't want to drive into that part of LA anymore. It's one of the worst slums in the US...on every side of the campus. USC itself is absolutely beautiful. UCLA is in Beverly Hills. Total opposite. That's California...the land of extremes.

WYOBISONMAN
01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Man.......I want NO changes right now at MIN! Let's get the Vikes through these playoffs with NO drama causing a side show!

overquota
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
on ESPN Seattle radio, the sports writers have been saying; Pete Carroll's ego has been bruised every time a reporter asks him, why he was successful in college but not the NFL. They are suggesting he wants to prove he can coach on both levels. Of course there is also all the problems building at USC and the huge checkbook of Paul Allen.

MinotBison
01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
USC is in the middle of a shitbox. It's the main reason why the Lakers aren't at the Forum anymore. The Forum is still a great facility. A lot of people don't like the Staples Center. It's very sterile & cold. The rich & famous didn't want to drive into that part of LA anymore. It's one of the worst slums in the US...on every side of the campus. USC itself is absolutely beautiful. UCLA is in Beverly Hills. Total opposite. That's California...the land of extremes.

I took the CPA exam once in the former home of the Clippers, the L.A. Sports Arena. It's right next to the Coliseum where the Trojans play. I can verify that it is definitely NOT a very nice part of town. It is not somewhere that you would spend alot of time if you didn't have to.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I took the CPA exam once in the former home of the Clippers, the L.A. Sports Arena. It's right next to the Coliseum where the Trojans play. I can verify that it is definitely NOT a very nice part of town. It is not somewhere that you would spend alot of time if you didn't have to.

We were told by friends (when we moved here) that if we drove into this area and our car broke down, 'not' to get out of the car. Lock the doors, call 911 to get the police around asap. That included the freeway in that neck of the woods. Compton, Inglewood, and others. The problems; however, cross all racial lines. It's a drug-infested impoverished area...where the gang population has more firepower than the LAPD.

EndZoneQB
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
The other day we were driving back from Pasadena and all the exits to the 10-west(Santa Monica freeway) were closed seemingly and we ended up in East LA at about 1230-1am trying to turn around...that was not exactly a good situation either, but it was our only option. I usually feel pretty safe where ever I am, regardless of the neighborhood, but I think I feared more of the unknown than anything, the key is too look like you belong there and you aren't "shocked".

OrygunBison
01-10-2010, 08:12 PM

If you think that Seattle is a shitbox then you're hopeless. Beautiful stadium in a world-class city with smart, beautiful, fit women everywhere. Yeah, it rains but it is also green and stunningly scenic in all directions.

How's Dickinson treating you?

EndZoneQB
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
If you think that Seattle is a shitbox then you're hopeless. Beautiful stadium in a world-class city with smart, beautiful, fit women everywhere. Yeah, it rains but it is also green and stunningly scenic in all directions.

Personally, I'll take the SoCal version of this :). Not that I should discriminate because I have been taggin a former Seattle resident.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but I agree that Seattle is a beautiful place. Some people wouldn't trade their home in North Dakota for any city. They like the wide open spaces, no traffic, hunting, fishing, and things that a city can't provide.

OrygunBison
01-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but I agree that Seattle is a beautiful place. Some people wouldn't trade their home in North Dakota for any city. They like the wide open spaces, no traffic, hunting, fishing, and things that a city can't provide.

Fair enough. Not dissing SoCal. Just saying that it is ignorant to call Seattle a shitbox.

BisoninNWMN
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM

I wouldn't trade nw MN, or anywhere in MN or ND, for anyplace on the west coast.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

OrygunBison
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Personally, I'll take the SoCal version of this :). Not that I should discriminate because I have been taggin a former Seattle resident.

I hear ya, brutha, I hear you.

I only responded because I would think that a guy from Dickinson would be more discriminating before calling anyplace a shitbox. Personally, I like Dickinson. It bugs me when others pick on it, or Minot, or Fargo. It makes me more careful of calling out any uneducated opinions of other places, particularly a place that so many people adore. That would make me look foolish.

OrygunBison
01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't trade nw MN, or anywhere in MN or ND, for anyplace on the west coast.

Sure, that's your call. Just don't call my next door neighbor a shitbox. It doesn't sit well with me.

WRSDBison
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Where do you get the idea they want Fraiser as DC? They interviewed him for the Head Coaching position just to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule meanwhile the deal with Carroll was pretty much a done deal by then.

BisoninNWMN
01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Sure, that's your call. Just don't call my next door neighbor a shitbox. It doesn't sit well with me.

...."next door neighbor".......What do you care?

People dump on ND and MN all the time.....I could care less....

Weather keeps the riff-raff out!!!

Frickin chill-out

ndsubison1
01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
id rather live here than in SD! :)

IzzyFlexion
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
...."next door neighbor".......What do you care?

People dump on ND and MN all the time.....I could care less....

Weather keeps the riff-raff out!!!

Frickin chill-out

Maybe OrygunBison's ACTUAL neighbor is named Seattle and he thought that perhaps 4M was referring to him/her as a sh!tbox. Does anyone know if Seattle Sutton lives in Oregon?:D
http://www.womanspapers.com/community/jan03/seattle2.jpg

EndZoneQB
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I hear ya, brutha, I hear you.

I only responded because I would think that a guy from Dickinson would be more discriminating before calling anyplace a shitbox. Personally, I like Dickinson. It bugs me when others pick on it, or Minot, or Fargo. It makes me more careful of calling out any uneducated opinions of other places, particularly a place that so many people adore. That would make me look foolish.

Haha, and Seattle is far from a shitbox. The Pacific Northwest is on my shortlist of potential places to move, decent weather, lots to do outdoors(and people are active), etc.

Maybe he was referring to the Seahawks as the "shitbox"??

Bisonfan1
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Where do you get the idea they want Fraiser as DC? They interviewed him for the Head Coaching position just to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule meanwhile the deal with Carroll was pretty much a done deal by then.

I realize that now, however anything could happen, maybe they liked him enough there maybe a push for him ?? Maybe Carrol will retain Gus ?? it will be interesting. I dont like Fraiser having ANY distractions right now, thats for sure.

ndsubison1
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
maybe carroll will bring norm chow back

westnodak93bison
01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
What are the odds Gus or Roehl are in Seattle this fall? I say pretty much zero.

WRSDBison
01-11-2010, 12:26 AM
maybe carroll will bring norm chow back

Any chance he brings Ken Norton Jr. into the fold there? I'm thinking he talks to him about possibly coming as LB coach. That or he'll end up back at USC as D Coordinator. Just my two cents.

bkit29
01-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I just read on another blog that it was reported that ken norten jr is going to join caroll in seattle. there are reports for both chow and his current OC joining him. I doubt gus will be retained. I think Rohl is technically under contract, so he should at least get a shot in minicamps, but it is a long shot.

IronRanger
01-11-2010, 05:02 AM
I just read on another blog that it was reported that ken norten jr is going to join caroll in seattle. there are reports for both chow and his current OC joining him. I doubt gus will be retained. I think Rohl is technically under contract, so he should at least get a shot in minicamps, but it is a long shot.

From reading this article at ESPN, it sounds like Gus will stay. They do not mention anything about him, but putting people in place around him. He might have a better shot than we think.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4814933

NDSUFan_Sav
01-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Because the shit is about to hit the fan in So Cal, and shit in a box is much better than shit hitting a fan( it goes everywhere).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEO_s33htO4

NDSUFan_Sav
01-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Norton Jr. is headed to Seattle as well

overquota
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Latest on Gus

http://seahawkaddicts.com/

Written by Chris Sullivan
Monday, 11 January 2010 06:55

* Offensive Line Coach Pat Ruel will be joining Carroll in Seattle (bye bye Solari, you did better than anyone could've done with what you were given!)
* Chris Carlisle, the Strength and Conditioning coach, will be joining the staff.
* Brennan Carroll, Pete Carroll's son, will join as a quality control coach.

That's all for now. Some Seahawks guys might stay, including Gus Bradley (though, not as DC most likely). Bradley and Carroll were mentored by the same guy: Monte Kiffin.

TransAmBison
01-12-2010, 01:46 AM

I'll trade El Forko. I'm pretty willing to take any reasonable offer. Try me. :D

BlueBisonRock
01-12-2010, 02:42 AM
I'll trade El Forko. I'm pretty willing to take any reasonable offer. Try me. :D

Newark would give you one armpit for another. :D

And, Remember to flush twice... It helps to clean up that town.

overquota
01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
More info on Gus: Two Finds

From comments to a blog posting
DWalt says:
January 11, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Gus Bradley will interview for the defensive job. A friend of mine sat next to him at the Blazers game. She had no idea who he was, only that he was a Seahawks coach who said he just got fired. He then told her he was about to go on vacation to Maui and Pete Carroll called and wanted to speak with him, so he canceled his vacation. I assumed it was Gus Bradley and pulled up a picture of him; sure enough, she said "yup, that's the guy". He was at the game because Paul Allen gave him the tickets.... Actually, I believe Todd Leiweke gave him the tickets...

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/01/11/leiweke-status-quo-simply-not-an-option/comment-page-1/#comments#ixzz0cPcoFk7l

And from: http://www.hawksnest12.com/2010/01/why-bradleys-good-fit.html

Why Bradley's A Good Fit
Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley is one member of the current staff that Pete Carroll may actually retain. We know that offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp is out, replaced by Carroll's assistant head coach at USC, Jeremy Bates. So we know he won't delay in making changes where he sees fit. Also following Carroll to Seattle is USC's current linebacker coach Ken Norton Jr. who is expected to fill that same position. Where might that leave Bradley? Well, unlike Knapp, Bradley and Carroll have much in common. Both are youthful and energetic. Both have both worked and studied under Monte Kiffin, thought to be one of the preeminent defensive coordinators in modern football. They both are dedicated practitioners of the 4-3 under. Each incorporate variations on the scheme, lining the defense up in different technique spots, play to play and game to game, in an effort to exploit individual match ups. Bradley will often drop DE Darrell Tapp, from the 5 tech position, into coverage and rush LB Aaron Curry. Much the same way Carroll used Lawrence Jackson and Brian Cushing while at USC in 2006.

Multiple reports have speculated that Carroll has reached out toNew Mexico St. head coach, DeWayne Walker, to join his staff. Walker was the Trojans defensive backs coach in 2001. Bradley's relative lack of experience however, may be attractive to Carroll. Someone to teach and groom the way Kiffin did a young Carroll at the University of Arkansas and with the Bills and Vikings later. Carroll and Bradley have enough in common that is should surprise no one to see Bradley remain Seattle's DC in 2010.

Carroll on Monte Kiffin:

During that time I got to work on Monte Kiffin's staff on defense. He had been at Nebraska before he came to Arkansas. I think he is one of the best coaches in the United States. He is just an unbelievable coach.

Kiffin on Gus Bradley:

Listen to me. I have a guy here in Tampa, that is one of, if not the finest, football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A+. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach.

BisonAccountant44
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

I've been trying to get negotiations setup with MN to trade El Forko for Moorhead straight up for years with no luck.

Hammersmith
01-13-2010, 02:11 AM
And USC hires Lane Kiffin to replace Caroll. Doesn't LK just ooze class?

Shawn-O
01-13-2010, 02:15 AM

I'm really not a Maturi fan but boy did he have this guy pegged. Sending wishes USC's way for many 6-7 win seasons and Emerald Bowls. Too bad Del Rio was locked in with Jax.

BisonNolesFan77
01-13-2010, 02:25 AM

Lane Kiffin is class! But really, this has been one crazy offseason for college football so far...Carroll, Kiffin, the Urban Meyer junk, Leach, Levitt...

Feel bad for UT, they can kiss there recruiting class goodbye!

Shawn-O
01-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Ol' Ball Coach to Tennessee? Maybe Skip Holtz.

sambini
01-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Wonder what will happen to Willie Mack?

ISXBISON
01-13-2010, 03:59 AM
If Gus loses or leaves his job in Seattle--maybe he'll join Monte Kiffin again coaching USC's defense. Monte thinks the world of Gus so I don't think it's a stretch.

overquota
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Gus:

The Bears are expected to expand their search for a defensive chief. Among the candidates who could emerge are Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, Seahawks assistant defensive backs coach Larry Marmie and former Jets and Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards.

Bradley would be a logical choice, having learned the style of defense the Bears play working for Monte Kiffin on the Bucs. He also worked for Bears linebackers coach Bob Babich at North Dakota State in 2003.

But Bradley is under contract with the Seahawks. The Bears would need permission to talk with him.

New Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is believed to have interviewed Bradley on Thursday and may want to retain him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-15-bears-chicago-jan15,0,7964617.story

westnodak93bison
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I'll speculate that the Seahawks keep Gus. Carroll was mentored by Monte Kiffin and so was Gus. I'm sure Pete and Monte have talked about Gus.

A1pigskin
01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I wonder if Roehl will still have a job?

overquota
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Under the category: politics of who has the bigger office.

Sounds like the Seahawks will make an announcement of who the new GM will be either tomorrow or Monday. The next day we will probably find out about the coaching staff and the status of Gus.

bkit29
01-16-2010, 04:02 AM
pete caroll said today on nfl radio that gus was retained as d-coodinator.

sambini
01-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Way to go Gus++++

bkit29
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Caroll called him a "brilliant young mind", and because he is a Kiffin disciple was the main reason he was retained.

overquota
01-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Throughout the season and during the Mora firing, the majority of the local beat sports writers and talking heads have always talked well of Gus and supported him after the Mora firing.

During preseason, one of the female writers had a column about watching the team in practice and she stated; she did not know which was more fun, watch the defense run the plays or watching Gus's face to his reaction to the play.

I would think if/when the Pete Carroll team turns this program around. This will be good for NDSU's coaching legacy and Kiffin's prediction that Gus will be a HC someday will come true.
Congratulations Gus!

Bisonfan1
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
pete caroll said today on nfl radio that gus was retained as d-coodinator.

OUTSTANDING !!!!! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

westnodak93bison
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
keeping Gus has to help Tyler Roehl's chances of sticking around.

tjbison
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
keeping Gus has to help Tyler Roehl's chances of sticking around.

Is Roehl still pursuing this???? I've seen him around town and is an assistant FB coach at WF High

EndZoneQB
01-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Is Roehl still pursuing this???? I've seen him around town and is an assistant FB coach at WF High

Yeah he's training back here and was atleast in contact with the coaching staff in like october/november. They called to make sure everything was going well and that he was planning on coming back.

Grizzled
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM

He's doing rehab daily. Planning on heading back west when camp starts up again. Apparently the knee is rehabbing well.

steelbison
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM

From what I've been told he is under contract with the seahawks(was put on IR this season) so they do hold his rights as of right now.

I did run into him this fall at Orthopedic Assoc. and he will be back in Seattle unless they would cut him. But if they were going to do that they would not have put him on IR and just paid him a medical settlement.

So unless Pete for whatever reason cuts him he will be in Seattles camp.

overquota
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I was at 3 home games this year and have been listening to ESPN Seattle. Tyler will get a shot at camp,,, for two reasons.

1. Fans, coaching staff, beat writers were not happy with the running backs and fullbacks this year.
2. The fullbacks this year, sucked at pass protection. Look up "pants on the ground" in the sports dictionary and it is Hasselbeck picture not Romo's. I saw the starting fullback completely miss blitzing defenders.

If they open up the offense like Carroll is promising, they are going to need a fullback who can pass protect and catch footballs as the check down receiver. A local pro player turned journalist, predicts upwards to 60% personnel change over, Tyler should get a good look.

Bison_Pride
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
The Seahawks fans take on Bradley:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11252

ISXBISON
02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Confirmation that they are retaining Gus Bradley--

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/268016/group/home/