PDA

View Full Version : Question about Scholarship Athletes & Finances

CaBisonFan
01-07-2010, 04:21 AM
What do full-ride athletes get?

Waiver of tuition...room & board...books & other materials for class...any spending money or allowance? Is there a special eating place during the season...after...do they get different food than most students? Seriously

I know that there was a time when not having any real spending money was an issue for kids from poor backgrounds. Is this still a problem?

This probably should have been under a different category. Sorry if it's in the wrong area.

56BISON73
01-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Waiver of tuition...room & board...books & other materials for class...any spending money or allowance? Is there a special eating place during the season...after...do they get different food than most students? Seriously

I know that there was a time when not having any real spending money was an issue for kids from poor backgrounds. Is this still a problem?

This probably should have been under a different category. Sorry if it's in the wrong area.

The only time you are allowed to give the athletes money is when a full meal plan isnt available like on Sunday. This may have changed but I dont think so.
Some schools have a training table for the athletes during the season. Some schools may have it year round. Others have the athletes eat with the regular students. Some schools also have a professional dietitian that does meal planning for the team as a whole and one on one cases like when they want to put weight on some one or take it off.

Jay
01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Just watch 30 for 30 The U. That will give you an idea :)

Notorious
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM

No extra money....usually no books/supplies....lots of small extras though...travel/meals/tutors/special treatment/medical care/etc.

Now, if you go USC, Nebraska, Texas, or ???..... you may get an unmarked envelope with some spending money occassionally...or get to "borrow" other things like cars, electronics, condos/apartments...no first hand knowledge, but reliable sources.

baseballfan7
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Scholarship atleast at the FBS level cover tuition, room and board, meals, and books. It also covers travel expenses to home and back for breaks like christmas and the summer.

GOB1SON
01-07-2010, 01:33 PM
This isn't an answer to CA's question, but some of the responses remind me of a couple of stories.

I used to take kids up to Memorial Stadium at UNL when we would pass through Lincoln on a judging trip or something. I would have a football and we would run out on the field and play catch. I don't imagine you could get away with that now. However, the football teams kitchen was next to the gate where we would sneak in, and I would always talk to the same man, an old gentleman who was cooking for the football team on this huge outdoor grill. Steaks, chops, and burgers, depending on what position you played. They were certainly treated differently than the general student population! You could peak into the dining room and see the players eating.

Another story was when I was working at Texas A&M, I lived in the country, taking care of an estate for a guy named Swede Hansen. Swede and Jackie Sherrill were old friends. Swede was one of the guys that ended up getting Jackie suspended and reprimanded by the NCAA. After football games, Swede would take a roll of hundreds into the locker room and hand them out to the players that had done particularily well in that game. He also had several players on his companies payroll, making good money, that not surprisingly, never ever showed up for work. Swede passed several years ago, but I always enjoyed hearing his stories, and I was his guest at several sporting events at A&M. He was a really good man.

ScooterMN
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
A full scholarship is intended to cover all the costs for tuition, room and board, meals, and books. Each component has a designated amount that is determined each year. If an athlete lives in the dorms, there is nothing they have to pay for. They get their tuition covered, a dorm room, 3 meals in the cafeteria, and books. If an athlete lives off campus, they get a check every month for the portion of the scholarship that is designated for room and board that they can then use to apply toward their monthly rent. So if their rent is $300 per month and the scholarship covers $200 per month, the athlete has to make up the difference on their own. There is no extra spending money offered. And costs for travel during breaks is not covered at NDSU.

Notorious
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
When I referenced "travel" I was not referring to personal travel, but rather the chance to travel accross the country, stay in nice hotels, etc., as it relates to road games.

NDSU follows the rules for the most part, and if rules are broken, it is unknowingly...jump up a level, and anything goes!

rutlandbison
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Just watch 30 for 30 The U. That will give you an idea :)
I was going to mention this too.

56BISON73
01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Scholarship atleast at the FBS level cover tuition, room and board, meals, and books. It also covers travel expenses to home and back for breaks like christmas and the summer.

That is a NO-NO.

Hammersmith
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Download this pdf of the Division I Manual and read Article 15(way too long to quote here). Specifically, read section 15.2(Elements of Financial Aid).

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/D1_Manual9d74a0b2-d10d-4587-8902-b0c781e128ae.pdf

baseballfan7
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
That is a NO-NO.

It's not a No-no. From what I know most FBS teams do this and is allowed by the NCAA. They get a travel stipend. The schools determines what the price is for travel from the airport in the college town to the closest airport to the players hometown and provide with the either the ticket or the money for the player to buy it himself. Most coaches will then give the player the option to fly back to school or if they are going to a bowl game after christmas then fly directly to the bowl site directly.

56BISON73
01-07-2010, 09:52 PM
It's not a No-no. From what I know most FBS teams do this and is allowed by the NCAA. They get a travel stipend. The schools determines what the price is for travel from the airport in the college town to the closest airport to the players hometown and provide with the either the ticket or the money for the player to buy it himself. Most coaches will then give the player the option to fly back to school or if they are going to a bowl game after christmas then fly directly to the bowl site directly.

This is what you said--

"""Scholarship atleast at the FBS level cover tuition, room and board, meals, and books. It also covers travel expenses to home and back for breaks like christmas and the summer."""

That is a no-no.

Your above post is a horse of a different color and totally different scenario of which the NCAA does allow.

Bison_Pride
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a question. We hear a lot about kids being brought in on full ride scholarships. Are these full rides guaranteed, or at some point are they adjusted if the guys aren't living up to their potential? What is the common practice?

Twentysix
01-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Pretty sure student atheletes, get stipends of around 300$ a month. Should ask someone who sees the finances. Technically they cant tell you. But i bet someone would disclose it off the record. From what i know there all different varrying according to rent etc.

If the scholarship was designed to pay for LLC living or a place like that they should get alot more than 300 :P.

Twentysix
01-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I have a question. We hear a lot about kids being brought in on full ride scholarships. Are these full rides guaranteed, or at some point are they adjusted if the guys aren't living up to their potential? What is the common practice?

Pretty sure there are gurantee's where they cant be adjusted if they get a full ride, unless there are academic or legal viloations of course.

My question is, which im guessing the answer is yes, If said football player breaks back and needs 100,000 dollar surgery NDSU pays for it right?

What if a football player slips down stairs in the winter, Does NDSU still pay for it? Or does it have to happen in a game/at practice.

I would guess NDSU has some crazy insurance policy that the atheletes are under but i dont really know.

Twentysix
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Hah, SUU dishes out Aussie plane tickets that often. Must suck. Ceder City to Brisbane Au $2,006 :P. Looks like if you get the tickets through an aussie flight company there like 10 grand each.

jjbballfan
01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Pretty sure there are gurantee's where they cant be adjusted if they get a full ride, unless there are academic or legal viloations of course.

My question is, which im guessing the answer is yes, If said football player breaks back and needs 100,000 dollar surgery NDSU pays for it right?

What if a football player slips down stairs in the winter, Does NDSU still pay for it? Or does it have to happen in a game/at practice.

I would guess NDSU has some crazy insurance policy that the atheletes are under but i dont really know.

All D-I scholarships are 1 year renewals.... There was an Outside the Lines report about how Kentucky "cut" a few basketball players....

most schools have their own policies on how scholarship adjustments are changed.... However I know that USD's coach said on air that he was going to cut players who weren't getting it done both on the field and in the classroom, and I've heard of coaches reducing the scholarship amount if they get a minor or break some team rules....

buffalobob
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM

NDSU pays for any remainder AFTER your private insurance is filed, if it is football related. BUT, if the player is injured and it wasn't football related, NDSU doesn't pay!

roadwarrior
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
NDSU pays for any remainder AFTER your private insurance is filed, if it is football related. BUT, if the player is injured and it wasn't football related, NDSU doesn't pay!

It really isn't NDSU is it, but an insurance company that pays or doesn't pay?

Notorious
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Scholarships are annually renewable...."purging" is done all the time, particularily in basketball. Schools don't like to make it public, as it can negatively affect recruiting. They subtlely make recurits believe the scholly is guarantied all 4, or 5, years. I think Kentucy BB non-renewed 5 or 6 las year to bring in a new team....nice. Also, Road/Bob are correct on the insurance issue.

There is no additional stipend at NDSU. That is why there is still the arguement that these guys should be allowed compensation of some sort. Yes, they have a full scholarship, which is a great benefit, but they really then have no time to earn money by working. So, they don't have student loans, etc., but they have no spending money, unless it comes from their parents.....or in the case of the "big boys", they get money under the table...which we all know occurs.

ScooterMN
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
So, they don't have student loans, etc., but they have no spending money, unless it comes from their parents.

Or they can get an unsubsidized government loan and when the school gets the payment from the government, the student gets the funds since there is no balance owing to the school because the scholarship has covered all the expenses. Many student athletes go this route to put money in their pockets.

56BISON73
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Full rides arent gauranteed for the duration of ones colllege carreer depending on where you go to school. The scholly is renewable every year.
They should tell the recruit that up front. Big schools dont adjust the $ amount of the schollies. Its a full ride or nothing. FCS schools on the other hand can and do adjust the $ amount depending on the players performace, attitude, class room work etc.

56BISON73
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Pretty sure student atheletes, get stipends of around 300$ a month. Should ask someone who sees the finances. Technically they cant tell you. But i bet someone would disclose it off the record. From what i know there all different varrying according to rent etc.

If the scholarship was designed to pay for LLC living or a place like that they should get alot more than 300 :P.

They may get money for housing in they dont live in University housing. For example if the university housing is valued at 300.00 a month and the apt the athlete is living is 500.00 a month then the athlete is responsible for the difference.
They can also receive money if they arent on a university meal plan. the money would be the exact amount that would be charged for a reg meal plan.
But they dont get extra money.

Hammersmith
01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
A few things have changed as a result of a lawsuit the NCAA settled about two years ago(White v. NCAA). Most of it doesn't apply to us, as the plaintiffs limited themselves to only FB & MBB players from the 11 FBS conferences between 2002 and 2007. Those groups of students could apply for a reimbursement up to $2,500/year for three years. For the future, the NCAA agreed to pool three existing funds together into one, and use the least restrictive criteria of the three in the awarding of the funds. This fund can be used for "anything you want to directly provide benefits to student-athletes" except for "coaches’ or other salaries, for building projects, for stipends or to replace scholarship funds for athletes, or to improve players’ skills." This is the fund that pays for students to travel home or for cold weather gear that the student might not own. Also, the NCAA now allows DI schools to pay for health and injury insurance for student-athletes(though it doesn't require schools to do so) and is looking into allowing multiyear scholarships.