PDA

View Full Version : Coach Breske update

steelbison
01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
I have been told by a source close to the situation he was offered the Montana DC job today. He has not accepted the job yet but it was offered.

Jdubs21
01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
good luck to him

tony
01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Heh, talk about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire... of high expectations, that is.

I went over to egriz to see what they were saying and saw their nickname for their current defense: "The bend over and take it." Ouch. :)

4mcruenomore
01-06-2010, 03:54 AM
I see he didn't get any positions at UNLV, was he surprised? Really folks, DC at u of m griz is better than here? If that's the case, we have along ways to go

ndsubison1
01-06-2010, 04:08 AM
I see he didn't get any positions at UNLV, was he surprised? Really folks, DC at u of m griz is better than here? If that's the case, we have along ways to go

DC at montana is better than DC at ndsu

4mcruenomore
01-06-2010, 04:09 AM
That's too bad then, I don't feel that way, but I guess I'm biased.

ndsubison1
01-06-2010, 04:14 AM
That's too bad then, I don't feel that way, but I guess I'm biased.

although ndsu has some of the best facilities and resources to offer in all of FCS, I'd still put the DC position at Montana ahead of NDSU

4mcruenomore
01-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Hopefully we can turn this opinion around in the next couple of years, I hope..

EndZoneQB
01-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Hopefully we can turn this opinion around in the next couple of years, I hope..

Who cares what everyone else thinks. If our defense helps us win, thats good enough for me.

NDSUFan_Sav
01-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Who cares what everyone else thinks. If our defense helps us win, thats good enough for me.

damn straight, now enjoy your time in Cali :D

steelbison
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
although ndsu has some of the best facilities and resources to offer in all of FCS, I'd still put the DC position at Montana ahead of NDSU

I'd call it a lateral move. Yes they have big tradition and expectations but as far as pay I am guessing it would be very similar.

Let's see how this plays out.

Talking with Montana fans they have not been happy with their D in a couple of years.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Get him outta here!!!

ROCKY DC '10! :bowdown:

Grizzled
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Get him outta here!!!

ROCKY DC '10! :bowdown:

He's already gone.

funteddy
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I'd call it a lateral move. Yes they have big tradition and expectations but as far as pay I am guessing it would be very similar.

Let's see how this plays out.

Talking with Montana fans they have not been happy with their D in a couple of years.

I would call it a lateral move in terms of salary, but they were in the championship game this year last I checked, and a couple while he was there before? We havent gotten out of the dome in playoff season.

ndsubison1
01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I would call it a lateral move in terms of salary, but they just won a championship this year last I checked, and a couple while he was there before? We havent gotten out of the dome in playoff season.

they lost to villanova

funteddy
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM

At least the DC @ Montana, doesnt change every two years...out with Bohl 2010.

funteddy
01-06-2010, 09:35 PM

The problem is everybody thought this defense was going to improve off a 6-5 year and they lost Ramon, Maresh, Compton and how many starters on BOTH sides of the ball? And from what I heard, Jose isnt really burning it up in the classroom either. Next year is looking bleak.

rutlandbison
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
The problem is everybody thought this defense was going to improve off a 6-5 year and they lost Ramon, Maresh, Compton and how many starters on BOTH sides of the ball? And from what I heard, Jose isnt really burning it up in the classroom either. Next year is looking bleak.
Now, now we musn't be spreading stuff like this.

Kevin
01-07-2010, 02:11 AM
they lost to villanova

God dammit Ming. Never let the truth get in the way of a horseshit argument.

Kermit
01-07-2010, 02:30 AM
..And from what I heard, Jose isnt really burning it up in the classroom either. Next year is looking bleak.

Jose has already been the subject of one horrible false rumor on this board in recent months. Are we going to go down that road again?

tjbison
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Jose has already been the subject of one horrible false rumor on this board in recent months. Are we going to go down that road again?

AMEN!!!!!:(

EndZoneQB
01-07-2010, 03:07 AM

Who thought this defense was going to improve? We maybe thought Breske would be a decent DC, but it's hard to improve on losing NFL players in the last 2 years. I don't give a shit if people think the Montana job is a step up if we are winning with our defense, which obviously we haven't. I wasn't arguing that our defense was good last year, I was just saying it doesn't matter WTF anyone else THINKS if we win.

mt jack
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
As FCS level goes, I guess I'd have to agree that it may be a lateral move financially but a better job due to Griz's recent history of success.

Breske's not from Montana but maybe he just liked it enough to move back? Who knows?

I've spent a lot of time in both Missoula and Fargo and Missoula is definitely a more expensive place to live.

I've only been inside the FargoDome 2-3 times but never been to a Bison home football game. Always tend to visit my aunt in June-August instead of November....wonder why that is? ;) I hope some day to remedy that, though. I enjoyed the short time I lived in Fargo and enjoy my yearly trips back.

I've been to one game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in Missoula and admit it is a beautiful setting/facility. Fan support is great and it is loud enough that it often results in false-start penalties or unnecessary time outs on the away team. But their locker room, training facilities, meeting rooms and study hall facilities aren't even the nicest in the Big Sky conference, much less all of FCS, according to an old post I read over at egriz.com. Too lazy at the moment to look up the link, though, so peruse egriz.com posts from a few weeks back for more details.

Good luck, Bison. I still say adding you guys and SDSU to the Big Sky conference would have made the conference a LOT stronger but I understand why that didn't happen from NDSU admin's point of view (long travel, sports offered not matching up, etc).

MTJack

Herd
01-08-2010, 01:00 AM
DC at montana is better than DC at ndsu

DC at Montana is better for Breske than DC at NDSU coming off a year where everything he tried at NDSU turned to *!@$, and every fan is on his $#%. If he had the same year last year at Montana, then DC at NDSU would be a better job for him (if you get my drift).

steelbison
01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Wanted to wish Coach and his family well. I was just told he accepted the position and it should be announced later today or tomorrow.

ndsubison1
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
will we regret wanting breske to leave? karma can be a bitch, doesnt montana come to the dome in '14?

IzzyFlexion
01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
will we regret wanting breske to leave? karma can be a bitch, doesnt montana come to the dome in '14?

No effing way! The Herd will pound the Grizzlies' ass!:ranting:
Halleluja.....Holy Sh!t.
Pass the Kool-Aid.:)

Tatanka
01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
No effing way! The Herd will pound the Grizzlies' ass!:ranting:
Halleluja.....Holy Sh!t.
Pass the Kool-Aid.:)

Agree, but respectfully request a rephrase. That's an output device only, buddy.

Kermit
01-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Wanted to wish Coach and his family well. I was just told he accepted the position and it should be announced later today or tomorrow.

It is official.
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8620&m=18

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/01/oregon_oregon_state_ties_plent.html

CaBisonFan
01-09-2010, 03:38 AM
As FCS level goes, I guess I'd have to agree that it may be a lateral move financially but a better job due to Griz's recent history of success.

Breske's not from Montana but maybe he just liked it enough to move back? Who knows?

I've spent a lot of time in both Missoula and Fargo and Missoula is definitely a more expensive place to live.

I've only been inside the FargoDome 2-3 times but never been to a Bison home football game. Always tend to visit my aunt in June-August instead of November....wonder why that is? ;) I hope some day to remedy that, though. I enjoyed the short time I lived in Fargo and enjoy my yearly trips back.

I've been to one game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in Missoula and admit it is a beautiful setting/facility. Fan support is great and it is loud enough that it often results in false-start penalties or unnecessary time outs on the away team. But their locker room, training facilities, meeting rooms and study hall facilities aren't even the nicest in the Big Sky conference, much less all of FCS, according to an old post I read over at egriz.com. Too lazy at the moment to look up the link, though, so peruse egriz.com posts from a few weeks back for more details.

Good luck, Bison. I still say adding you guys and SDSU to the Big Sky conference would have made the conference a LOT stronger but I understand why that didn't happen from NDSU admin's point of view (long travel, sports offered not matching up, etc).

MTJack

Nice, classy post. I appreciate your insight. From my understanding, we wanted into the Big Sky...Big-Time. The rules were changed prior to the conference vote...a strange set of circumstances & timing, to say the least. The new requirement was to have a 100 percent 'thumbs-up.' I would have loved the Big Sky...all-sport...Montana (the state) connection. There is a strong history of a good rivalry with MSU and UM. Too bad. Somebody in a position of power in the Big Sky wanted no part of North Dakota State and its great football tradition. NDSU & Montana squared off twice in the Camelia Bowl in California during Ron Erhardt's tenure at NDSU. We thumped them both times...winning the national championship vote in DII at least one of those years. 2003's game in Missoula probably didn't do us any favors in terms of being welcome...LOL

Good luck to Coach Breske. In my experience, you can be the right person for the job at the wrong time...or other combinations of not fitting into the plans. Breske has proven himself. This just didn't work out, for whatever reason.

I've been to Missoula for a couple of games. I think that the stadium is a model for what an FCS stadium could be. I'd trade for that and a couple of mountains & trees...but not the cities. Missoula is a nice town, but a little too far away from other things, for my taste.

sambini
01-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Good Luck Coach Breske

BisonNeil
01-09-2010, 04:13 PM
This is a good job for Mike, playing for a coach who wants to run the 3-4 and a 3-3-5. Mike loves the west and he loved living in Missoula earlier and you can't fault landing on your feet with a program like Montana's.

Perhaps at a much later date I will share the circumstances of Mike's departure. Probably not until Bohl leaves for another job, however.

Good luck Coach Breske!!

aces1180
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Is it true that at the Montana press conference announcing Breske as the new DC, that their new HC said he was glad Bohl fired him? Just a rumor I heard and was wondering if it had any merit.

tjbison
01-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Is it true that at the Montana press conference announcing Breske as the new DC, that their new HC said he was glad Bohl fired him? Just a rumor I heard and was wondering if it had any merit.

Well on Hammer's show it sounded like there was more to the story than let out. But thats just my opinion he never said anything but its the "vibe" I got

SDbison
01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Must have been some personality issues between Bohl and Breske. My guess is Bohl wanted to go one direction and Breske another regarding improvements to the defense. Now with the Hazelton promotion Bohl has a "yes man" to implement his desires. Interpret this as you want, good or bad.

Grizzled
01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Well on Hammer's show it sounded like there was more to the story than let out. But thats just my opinion he never said anything but its the "vibe" I got

I got that vibe to. I take it as Bohl needing a fall guy for last season and Breske ended up being that guy. I've heard both Bohl and Hazelton pretty much throw Breske under the bus the last couple days by saying how he was responsible for changing everything that the Bison have done the prior years and thats the reason the D was so bad. As a head coach or a coach that has been here it is your job to relay to a new coach the way things are done or suggest things that have worked in the past. Instead our coaches just protect themselves and blame the guy that isn't here to defend himself.

SDbison
01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I got that vibe to. I take it as Bohl needing a fall guy for last season and Breske ended up being that guy. I've heard both Bohl and Hazelton pretty much throw Breske under the bus the last couple days by saying how he was responsible for changing everything that the Bison have done the prior years and thats the reason the D was so bad. As a head coach or a coach that has been here it is your job to relay to a new coach the way things are done or suggest things that have worked in the past. Instead our coaches just protect themselves and blame the guy that isn't here to defend himself.
As I posted earlier:
Now with the Hazelton promotion Bohl has a "yes man" to implement his desires. Interpret this as you want, good or bad.

bisonmike2
01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
As I posted earlier:
Now with the Hazelton promotion Bohl has a "yes man" to implement his desires. Interpret this as you want, good or bad.

Which means if this experiment doesn't work Bohl has no else left to blame. This next year should be pretty interesting. He's either going to be a genius because he turned it around or the goat because his philosophies have failed.

Bison Dan
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Yeah I heard that too - said Breske ruined everything. I never heard Scott say anything but if you said you heard it then take it to the bank. I thought I heard them mention all the injuries and having to switch people out of their real positions because of the injures contributed to the poor performance, but I must have been wrong. Now we're in real trouble with his bitch at DC.

Grizzled
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah I heard that too - said Breske ruined everything. I never heard Scott say anything but if you said you heard it then take it to the bank. I thought I heard them mention all the injuries and having to switch people out of their real positions because of the injures contributed to the poor performance, but I must have been wrong. Now we're in real trouble with his bitch at DC.

Don't know if your being sarcastic with me or not Dan. Hazelton talked about he had a good relationship with Coach Bradley and Coach Garza and how important it is to get back to what those coaches did. Doing things their way would help turn things around. I'm not saying injuries didn't play a part and the coaches have mentioned that as well.

I was had absolutely no problem with Breske leaving but I don't agree with the coaches still pointing the finger at him as to why the defense performed the way they did last year. I think the whole team needs to get back to what worked in the past. Its not like we tore it up last year. Coach Breske is gone. It takes absolutely no balls to blame a guy who isn't here anymore. Even though they haven't come out and said his name it doesn't take a genious to read between the lines.

Bison Dan
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Don't know if your being sarcastic with me or not Dan. Hazelton talked about he had a good relationship with Coach Bradley and Coach Garza and how important it is to get back to what those coaches did. Doing things their way would help turn things around. I'm not saying injuries didn't play a part and the coaches have mentioned that as well.

I was had absolutely no problem with Breske leaving but I don't agree with the coaches still pointing the finger at him as to why the defense performed the way they did last year. I think the whole team needs to get back to what worked in the past. Its not like we tore it up last year. Coach Breske is gone. It takes absolutely no balls to blame a guy who isn't here anymore. Even though they haven't come out and said his name it doesn't take a genious to read between the lines.

What else would you have them say? "We have to get back to Bison Defense" I don't see that as a slap at Breske. If you do so be it.

56BISON73
01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
What else would you have them say? "We have to get back to Bison Defense" I don't see that as a slap at Breske. If you do so be it.

I agree. Getting back to what worked is the goal. The performace of last years D is the slap in the face. Breske was the coach. Teams change DCs and OCs because of poor performance by the units under their charge.
I didnt take it as pointing fingers. But it is fact.

Grizzled
01-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Well last time I checked Breske was here in spring ball implementing what is now viewed as the problem. Maybe saying something and making the change than instead of after the guy is out of town would have been a better idea. Obviously everyone else from position coach to head coach except for coach Breske knew what the problem was way back in the spring but we waited until winter to point it out.

mgbison
01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Simple fact. Our defense sucked like no other Bison defense has sucked last year and Breske was the DC. Hence, Breske is gone. If you're going to rip on Bohl, rip on him for hiring Breske. From what i heard about the situation from a friend, of a friend, etc was that Breske never really meshed or hung out with the the rest of the staff (but it could be just bs). He obviously has a decent track record, and hopefully he does well at Montana.

the conspiracy theory would be that he's a SDSU alumi, and his only goal was to stick it to the bison program. but good programs recover after bad years, and bad programs have a good year every now and then (cough cough SDSU). ha ha

Grizzled
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Simple fact. Our defense sucked like no other Bison defense has sucked last year and Breske was the DC. Hence, Breske is gone. If you're going to rip on Bohl, rip on him for hiring Breske. From what i heard about the situation from a friend, of a friend, etc was that Breske never really meshed or hung out with the the rest of the staff (but it could be just bs). He obviously has a decent track record, and hopefully he does well at Montana.

the conspiracy theory would be that he's a SDSU alumi, and his only goal was to stick it to the bison program. but good programs recover after bad years, and bad programs have a good year every now and then (cough cough SDSU). ha ha

My problem isn't Breske being gone as I have stated since there was a poll on here about whether he should be let go. My problem is waiting until after he was gone to point the finger at him.