PDA

View Full Version : Saturday in the Summit

NDSUstudent
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
ORU vs NDSU- In the Fargo Forum Saul Phillips said that these two teams mirror each other in many ways and that is right on target. Both ORU and NDSU have lost multiple players to injuries, lost a significant chunk of their scoring from last year's teams, and comparisions can definitely be made between Tveidt and Morrison.

While the two do mirror each other in some ways ORU is still coached by the very accomplished Scott Sutton, who has coached his team to wins over New Mexico, Missouri, and New Mexico this season.

While ORU has racked up some impressive wins they still are struggling playing away from Tulsa and that was evident in their loss to SDSU. The Golden Eagles were decisively out-rebounded by the Jacks, a team that isn't exactly known for their rebounding prowess.

Maybe this sounds bizarre with ORU has those great wins, but I think these two teams match up fairly well. Neither team has spectacular guard play, NDSU is coming of one of their better games of the season, while ORU stumbled against SDSU. Like I said before Morrison and Tveidt are similar players, both capable of going off and having big games.

I think NDSU makes this long cold road trip for ORU even longer. NDSU 74 ORU 68

WIU vs IPFW- Both WIU and IPFW are fresh off impressive games against two of the top teams in the Summit, IUPUI and Oakland.

Both WIU and IPFW are also winless in the Summit League and no team wants to be sitting with zero wins after two weeks of league play.

While the Leathernecks are playing better under Molinari, I think it will be another week before they can pick up a win. IPFW's Ben Botts and Deilvez Yearby will be too much at home.
IPFW 68 WIU 57

Centenary vs SDSU- The Jacks certainly have the guards needed to match up with Gents and their quirky four guard offense. What the Jacks will need is for their bigs to take advantage of the Centenary's lack of size.

Anthony Cordova went for 15 and 13 points when these two teams match up last year. He has been held under double digits over his last four games, that trend will need to break if the Jacks are going to win Saturday night.

While Centenary can be dangerous if they shoot well, I think the Jacks have just enough size and solid enough guard play to fend off the Gents. SDSU 78 Centenary 71

SUU vs UMKC- This is a matchup of what could be two teams that are going to be battling for the last spot in the Summit tournament. SUU has just two DI wins and still seems to be regrouping after losing 3/4 of their roster from last year.

UMKC on the other hand was bad last year but seems to be on the rebound this year. The Kangroos have a 7-6 record and been bolstered by Evansville transfer Jay Couisnard who has scored in double figures is in all but two games this season.

I think Couisnard will have another big game and SUU will remain winless in the Summit for another week. UMKC 75 SUU 71

Game of the Night

IUPUI vs Oakland- This is the first big match up in the Summit this year. Both teams are undefeated in league play and the winner of this game will take sole position of first place.

IUPUI's big three of Alex Young, Leroy Nobles, and Robert Glenn are all averaging over 15 points per game. Oakland has a more balanced lineup with four players averaging in double figures.

Last year Oakland swept IUPUI but that was with the help of Erik Kangas, who went for 17 and 33 in their two meetings. With Kangas gone, the Griz have been struggling a bit when it comes to shooting, Oakland hit just one of their first 11 shots against WIU.

Oakland really has only had one great game this year, and that was against Wisconsin Green Bay. I think IUPUI's big three will push them to the final seconds, but the Griz are due for another great game. Oakland 84 IUPUI 80

NDSUstudent
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Oakland 44 IUPUI 40 at the half

The game is on channelsurfing

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-oakland.html

NDSUstudent
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
66-55 Oakland 9 minutes to go

Benson has 16 points and 11 boards
Nelson as 18 points and 8 or 9 boards