PDA

View Full Version : State Ranking of HS FB Talent

Bison Dan
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Found this to be interesting:

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1185&CID=1018503

NorthernBison
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Was a bit worried that ND might come in at #50. Hate to be last on any list.

bisonmike2
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
It's obvious Lakes didn't write that. Minnesota wasn't listed in the top 5. SD as last? I would have thought Alaska or Hawaii. SD has recently produced a number of very good NFL players.

BisonAccountant44
12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
It's obvious Lakes didn't write that. Minnesota wasn't listed in the top 5. SD as last? I would have thought Alaska or Hawaii. SD has recently produced a number of very good NFL players.

The ranking was of only this years highschool teams. I'm sure if it were expanded the rankings would probably change quite a bit.

bisonmike2
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
The ranking was of only this years highschool teams. I'm sure if it were expanded the rankings would probably change quite a bit.

Oh, I see. Then I am surprised Minnesota isn't a little higher. Top 15 or so.

JacksFan06
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
SDSU's coaching staff did say that the talent was down this year in South Dakota and it looks to be down again next year.
They also said that talent was lower than normal in SW Minnesota and NW Iowa, (two of SDSU's bigger recruiting regions)

Even with the lower state talent, many people felt that Sioux Falls Washington had one of the better teams in recent memory. It always has perplexed me why Rapid City doesn't produce good football teams/players. The city has a population around 70,000, but every year they are awful.

Woden
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm surprised ND wasn't last.

Not a lot of talent in the state this year.

tjbison
12-30-2009, 05:27 PM

Hawaii actually has quite a few players on the Oregon and Oregon St teams

OrygunBison
12-30-2009, 06:59 PM
They didn't include American Samoa. That place is like a mini camp for the Ducks program...

bisonmike2
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
SDSU's coaching staff did say that the talent was down this year in South Dakota and it looks to be down again next year.
They also said that talent was lower than normal in SW Minnesota and NW Iowa, (two of SDSU's bigger recruiting regions)

Even with the lower state talent, many people felt that Sioux Falls Washington had one of the better teams in recent memory. It always has perplexed me why Rapid City doesn't produce good football teams/players. The city has a population around 70,000, but every year they are awful.

Is it Douglas that has gone years without winning a game? I recall Spearfish being horrible as well. I also don't get why all the west river schools seem to be bad at sports in general, not just football. Maybe it's that they have other cool outdoor stuff to do in the Black Hills. Skiing, hiking, etc. Or maybe it's meth.

Siouxfallsbison
12-31-2009, 03:15 AM

Surprised at the rankings myself. Can't remember when South Dakota had as many Div.I prospects. Tom Farniok of Washington is going to Iowa State, Trevor Gebhart was recruited by Iowa St., Minnesota, Princeton, Stanford, and was one of 5 asked to walk-on at Iowa and picked the Bison. Austin Sumner was highly recruited as was Michael Hardie who is coming to NDSU.

tjbison
12-31-2009, 03:28 AM
Surprised at the rankings myself. Can't remember when South Dakota had as many Div.I prospects. Tom Farniok of Washington is going to Iowa State, Trevor Gebhart was recruited by Iowa St., Minnesota, Princeton, Stanford, and was one of 5 asked to walk-on at Iowa and picked the Bison. Austin Sumner was highly recruited as was Michael Hardie who is coming to NDSU.

this wasn't based on DI recruits, read it again and you will see.

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 03:30 AM
Is it Douglas that has gone years without winning a game? I recall Spearfish being horrible as well. I also don't get why all the west river schools seem to be bad at sports in general, not just football. Maybe it's that they have other cool outdoor stuff to do in the Black Hills. Skiing, hiking, etc. Or maybe it's meth.

West river in South Dakota is good at wrestling and baseball. I think it was the Sturgis Scoopers who had the long consecutive losing streak.

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 03:35 AM
South Dakota has had three straight years of a player going out of state to a BCS school and will have a 4th next year.

08- OT Riley Reiff Iowa
09- RB Brandon Wegher Iowa
10- C Tom Farniak Iowa State
11- OT Derek Farniak Has offer from Gophers

WRSDBison
12-31-2009, 03:43 AM

As Jacks said Ssturgis is the team that went many year without winning. Also, other than Rapid City, West River South Dakota is very sparsely populated. A lot of farm kids that spend a lot of time helping their parents on the farm. Thus, they don't get to town a lot for open gym or football camps in the summer. Quite a few kids on this side of the state do a lot of rodeo. I believe the NFR had about 10 or so west river Dakotans this last year. Also, kids out here are hard to motivate. They'd rather spend their time drinking and "making bad decisions". Trust me, I was in high school 8 short years ago. Town of 1300 people doesn't provide a whole hell of a lot of opportunites.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make excuses here. There have been some quality basketball players here. They are complete all-stars in this area (Denver TenBroek and Louie Krogman come to mind) but don't get a lot of publicity other than in-state.

tjbison
12-31-2009, 03:43 AM
South Dakota has had three straight years of a player going out of state to a BCS school and will have a 4th next year.

08- OT Riley Reiff Iowa

We have Qvale to Nebraska, but have had and will have several in Mens BBALL. In ND BBall just seems to rule which is weird IMO!!

rutlandbison
12-31-2009, 03:52 AM

08- OT Riley Reiff Iowa
I mean technically he was from South Dakota but he went to school in Iowa. And isn't Dakota Dunes ran by some company in Iowa. Isn't like a rich person community?

I'm not saying this to be mean, I like the kid, and he plays for my second favorite team, besides NDSU of course.

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 03:55 AM

So far only 4 SD players have signed, last year 16 signed.

RB Brandon Wegher - Iowa
OL Alex Parker - SDSU (offered by Iowa St)
LB Jake Weiss - SDSU (recruited by MN, IA, IA ST, KS, KS ST)
DB Phil Wright - UNI (recruited by MN, NE, IA, AZ ST)
DL Chase Douglas - SDSU (recruited by MN)
DL Mike Pharis - USD
WR Will Powell - USD
RB Erv Archambeau - USD
QB Kyle Cichos - USD
OL Matt Field - UND
FB Quintin McMartin - USD
RB Mason Winterboer - SDSU
DL Nick Franken - USD
TE Darren DeNeau - UND
DB Austin Koch - USD
DB Jerrod Freidel - USD

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 04:08 AM
I mean technically he was from South Dakota but he went to school in Iowa. And isn't Dakota Dunes ran by some company in Iowa. Isn't like a rich person community?

I'm not saying this to be mean, I like the kid, and he plays for my second favorite team, besides NDSU of course.

I like to include him as South Dakotan even though he played for an Iowa high school. His dad is the 7th all-time leading rusher in SDSU history and was supposedly close to taking SDSU's scholly before Iowa came knocking.

As far as DI basketball players, South Dakota has 13 playing this year (not including walk-ons)

SR C Zach Finley - Princeton
JR F Michael Tveidt - NDSU
JR F Sam Willard - Pacific
SO F Colton Iverson - Minnesota

JR F Anthony Cordova - SDSU
SO G Dale Moss - SDSU
FR F Tony Fiegen - SDSU
FR G Chad White - SDSU
FR G Brayden Carlson - SDSU
SO G Louie Krogman - USD
SR C Steve Smith - USD
FR G Jordan Boots - USD
FR F Dustin Tetzlaff - USD

tjbison
12-31-2009, 04:10 AM
I like to include him as South Dakotan even though he played for an Iowa high school. His dad is the 7th all-time leading rusher in SDSU history and was supposedly close to taking SDSU's scholly before Iowa came knocking.

As far as DI basketball players, South Dakota has 13 playing this year (not including walk-ons)

SR C Zach Finley - Princeton
JR F Michael Tveidt - NDSU
JR F Sam Willard - Pacific
SO F Colton Iverson - Minnesota

JR F Anthony Cordova - SDSU
SO G Dale Moss - SDSU
FR F Tony Fiegen - SDSU
FR G Chad White - SDSU
FR G Brayden Carlson - SDSU
SO G Louie Krogman - USD
SR C Steve Smith - USD
FR G Jordan Boots - USD
FR F Dustin Tetzlaff - USD

USD?????????;)

NDSUstudent
12-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Hockey does hurt both football and basketball in ND since it is a significant sport in GF and to a lesser extent in Fargo as well.

Bisonguy
12-31-2009, 04:58 AM

Minnesota is #21 in population, has a lot of athletes in hockey that could have been football recruits, so that should drop them a few spots. They're right about where I've always believed they were on the national level.

Twentysix
12-31-2009, 07:55 AM

Pretty sure during your sports physical they require you to become addicted to meth in western SD....Looks like you got the nail on the head.

MNLonghorn10
12-31-2009, 08:28 AM
minnesota ahead of alabama is surprising.

EndZoneQB
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM

I think it was a down year in MN. No big time players at the factory of Eden Prarie. No undefeated teams as far as I know either(well 5A anyway, and lets face it, thats pretty far from 4A)

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
USD?????????;)

USD would probably beat NDSU this year, it would at least be a good game.

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

Tatanka
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

:rolleyes:

bisonmike2
12-31-2009, 03:41 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

Just when you were starting to build some respect up with me, you go ahead and make a statement like that.:)

Kermit
12-31-2009, 03:49 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

Your mom just called and asked us to send you home for dinner. It's been "nice" having your here!

NDSUstudent
12-31-2009, 03:52 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

I remember when SDSU had knowledgeable basketball fans, what happened to them all?

JacksFan06
12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I remember when SDSU had knowledgeable basketball fans, what happened to them all?

What makes this so unbelievable?
USD is picked to win their make-believe conference and finish ahead of Utah Vally (a team that beat NDSU) so I wouldn't say the statement is so far-fetched.

NDSU is 2-7 against DI competition with a Strength of Schedule of 288.
Wins against 2-8 UC Davis & 2-6 W. Illinois

USD is 2-6 against DI competition with a Strength of Schedule of 272.
Wins against 2-6 TX A&M CC & 2-10 Binghamton

NDSUstudent
12-31-2009, 05:08 PM
What makes this so unbelievable?
USD is picked to win their make-believe conference and finish ahead of Utah Vally (a team that beat NDSU) so I wouldn't say the statement is so far-fetched.

NDSU is 2-7 against DI competition with a Strength of Schedule of 288.
Wins against 2-8 UC Davis & 2-6 W. Illinois

USD is 2-6 against DI competition with a Strength of Schedule of 272.
Wins against 2-6 TX A&M CC & 2-10 Binghamton

Keep in mind RPI doesn't take margin of victory into account. USD's RPI is better because they played Marquette and Texas Tech. But they Were absolutely destroyed by those teams. I think Kenpom might take margin of victory into account and that ranking has NDSU ahead of USD.

A major problem with your statement is that you said..."they would probably beat NDSU." The game might be close but I wouldn't label them as the favorite.

Kermit
12-31-2009, 07:22 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

My problem with this statement is that we are in the FOOTBALL forum in a thread about high school FOOTBALL talent, and a Jacks fan who seems to spend most of his day here decides that this is the perfect opportunity to toss some more smack our way by changing the subject to a hypothetical BASKETBALL matchup. Good grief. This behavior would result in a banishment on the SDSUfans board. If you are going to hang out here, act like an adult or go home.

BadlandsBison
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
As Jacks said Ssturgis is the team that went many year without winning. Also, other than Rapid City, West River South Dakota is very sparsely populated. A lot of farm kids that spend a lot of time helping their parents on the farm. Thus, they don't get to town a lot for open gym or football camps in the summer. Quite a few kids on this side of the state do a lot of rodeo. I believe the NFR had about 10 or so west river Dakotans this last year. Also, kids out here are hard to motivate. They'd rather spend their time drinking and "making bad decisions". Trust me, I was in high school 8 short years ago. Town of 1300 people doesn't provide a whole hell of a lot of opportunites.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make excuses here. There have been some quality basketball players here. They are complete all-stars in this area (Denver TenBroek and Louie Krogman come to mind) but don't get a lot of publicity other than in-state.

Rodeo and wrestling. Sounds like the story of Harding County! Not much else to do around Buffalo...

Ginsbach
01-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Interesting note on how the Bismarck area is apparently the best at football.

Look at the state championships this year:

AAA- Bismarck (Bismarck area) over South (Fargo area)
AA - Shanley (Fargo area) over Devils Lake (Devils Lake area)
A - Velva (Minot area) over Langdon-Munich (Devils Lake area)
9-man - Hankinson (Fargo area) over Parshall-White Shield (Minot area)

Looks like the area near Fargo represented itself in the state championships better than the Bismarck area.

4mcruenomore
01-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Interesting note on how the Bismarck area is apparently the best at football.

Look at the state championships this year:

AAA- Bismarck (Bismarck area) over South (Fargo area)
AA - Shanley (Fargo area) over Devils Lake (Devils Lake area)
A - Velva (Minot area) over Langdon-Munich (Devils Lake area)
9-man - Hankinson (Fargo area) over Parshall-White Shield (Minot area)

Looks like the area near Fargo represented itself in the state championships better than the Bismarck area.

Very true. Do people actually think the guys that put this together know anything about ND football?? Seriously? They do a simple bismarck tribune search and see who is ahead in the polls for the year, and put out this article IMO.

HandoEX
01-01-2010, 06:47 AM
My problem with this statement is that we are in the FOOTBALL forum in a thread about high school FOOTBALL talent, and a Jacks fan who seems to spend most of his day here decides that this is the perfect opportunity to toss some more smack our way by changing the subject to a hypothetical BASKETBALL matchup. Good grief. This behavior would result in a banishment on the SDSUfans board. If you are going to hang out here, act like an adult or go home.

Shouldn't the bunny faithful be able to toss smack against a team they haven't beat in ages? 6 straight Bison victories and 7 of 8 wins for NDSU against SDSU. They surely need to push smack our way:D

jackrabbit1979
01-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Shouldn't the bunny faithful be able to toss smack against a team they haven't beat in ages? 6 straight Bison victories and 7 of 8 wins for NDSU against SDSU. They surely need to push smack our way:D

6 straight victories = 3 seasons, right?

Do Bison fans still smack our football team?

SDbison
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
6 straight victories = 3 seasons, right?

Do Bison fans still smack our football team?
Big difference.....we don't hang at your messageboard and talk crap about your football team. We know our team is capable of being much better and your sniff at glory is done.
Quit hanging at your big brothers hangout. Must be here cause there is nothing going on at your bunny hole.

jackrabbit1979
01-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Big difference.....we don't hang at your messageboard and talk crap about your football team. We know our team is capable of being much better and your sniff at glory is done.
Quit hanging at your big brothers hangout. Must be here cause there is nothing going on at your bunny hole.

You are right SD Bison, you just hang out on your messageboard and obsess and talk crap about our team. Easy way to make rabbit fans go away...quit creating threads and talking smack about them.

SDbison
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
You are right SD Bison, you just hang out on your messageboard and obsess and talk crap about our team. Easy way to make rabbit fans go away...quit creating threads and talking smack about them.
That is OUR right on OUR messageboard dumas! You bunny dorks have got to get a life. I could give a rip about what you talk about at your messageboard......BECAUSE I NEVER GO THERE.

SDbison
01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
To finish my thoughts and further clarify:
1. Jack fans are OK here if they want to come to discuss topics and even debate about player quality, recruiting, coaches, facilities, etc. but why do they feel thy can cock off and not get banned?

2. Why is it I get the feeling these Jack fans want to hear Bisonville say SDSU now has a dominant football program that is leaps and bounds better than NDSU's? Sorry not true. Glad to see the bunnies got a few victories so they won't cry and consider dropping football, but a few Bison losses to the Jacks won't make Brookings more attractive than Fargo. Not even close.

3. Regarding basketball, I believe Jack fans think they will return to the more successful DII years and dominance over the Bison. As I predicted years ago that will not happen. Going DI will benefit NDSU more as players at that level much more often want to be in or near a metro area than in or near a cornfield. The old days of pulling in some of the best local boys and making a run are over. That was possible with DII talent.

EndZoneQB
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Very true. Do people actually think the guys that put this together know anything about ND football?? Seriously? They do a simple bismarck tribune search and see who is ahead in the polls for the year, and put out this article IMO.

Yeah, of course that's how it goes. ND should be a lot higher right?

steelbison
01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

RPI's
USD = 276
NDSU = 293

Surprise, surprise, Jack06 taking shots at the Bison on our board.

Why do we continue to let this jacka@@ on our board????

NDSUstudent
01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
He does the same thing on ORU's board.

4mcruenomore
01-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Yeah, of course that's how it goes. ND should be a lot higher right?

No, not saying that at all. We are probably ranked right, I just meant that they said bismarck was the hotspot for talent. Even though there are good kids right now, and some state titles, I kind of consider Fargo a better location as far as that goes. I mean it is easy to do a quick internet search and see what teams in a certain state went to the title game the last 2 years and automatically write a little article how that town is the hotspot, imo. I don't have a problem at all with this whole thing if you can believe me.

cvbison1
01-02-2010, 12:22 AM
the only good things about south dakota are trevor gebhart and mike hardie

Mr. Burgundy
01-02-2010, 12:38 AM
We have as many verbals from the state of SD as SDSU has total verbals. Stay Classy Brookings. Maybe their recruits tailgated during their recruiting visits and said the facilities were so poor they would not attend SDSU.

Oh, but wait...we are still supposed to believe that your run to the playoffs is what is gonna make your class so much better than the 3-8 team. Keep believing that one. Just a matter of time.

4mcruenomore
01-02-2010, 03:41 AM
I just wanted to make a quick comment on the montana vs north dakota game. Sometimes our guys don't play, Josh Horner didn't play his year, and I know of some other times our guys opted out, b/c of injury or not wanting an injury b/c of scholarship. I'm not making excuses, just saying. I do feel that this year we have a pretty solid team if everybody plays.

BisonNolesFan77
01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I just wanted to make a quick comment on the montana vs north dakota game. Sometimes our guys don't play, Josh Horner didn't play his year, and I know of some other times our guys opted out, b/c of injury or not wanting an injury b/c of scholarship. I'm not making excuses, just saying. I do feel that this year we have a pretty solid team if everybody plays.

I know we have had our differences, but in all seriousness, who are some guys that we should be watching or looking at in North Dakota who will be seniors next season? I know there was talk about an OL from Shanley that sounded like a pretty damn good player...

Kermit
01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I know we have had our differences, but in all seriousness, who are some guys that we should be watching or looking at in North Dakota who will be seniors next season? I know there was talk about an OL from Shanley that sounded like a pretty damn good player...

That would be Connor McGovern. He was a listed as a 6'4" 282 lb. junior this season.

EndZoneQB
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
No, not saying that at all. We are probably ranked right, I just meant that they said bismarck was the hotspot for talent. Even though there are good kids right now, and some state titles, I kind of consider Fargo a better location as far as that goes. I mean it is easy to do a quick internet search and see what teams in a certain state went to the title game the last 2 years and automatically write a little article how that town is the hotspot, imo. I don't have a problem at all with this whole thing if you can believe me.

Can't say I disagree with you. As far as I remember, it's been South/WF thats seemed dominate to me. I think just as of late, Bismarck has made a push, which I believe is your point(a quick google search would display the results like you said). Sorry if I came off as a smartass as you actually had a good point, especially saying how much do they really know about ND football. Bottomline, we got the best players out of the state(besides FBS caliber), so I don't care where ND is ranked! :)