PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Head Coach

Bison101
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
As many of you know, Hofstra cut its football program, one that has been known for its great defense. I was looking up the head coach (Dave Cohen), and it sounds like he would be a great DC. I know this is a stretch because he's from NY, but he certainly has the credentials.

http://www.gohofstra.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=109575&SPID=13582&DB_OEM_ID=22200&ATCLID=3721979&Q_SEASON=2009

ISXBISON
12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Not that he would end up here but if he did he would likely be another coach to use NDSU as a pit stop. We need coaches who are loyal to the program and will be here for some time.

td577
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Not that he would end up here but if he did he would likely be another coach to use NDSU as a pit stop. We need coaches who are loyal to the program and will be here for some time.

There are only a handful of coordinators, at any level of football, who are not using their current job as a stepping stone to something bigger. The only way you get a coordinator with a long term commitment is for them to have an attachment to the head coach. So if you want a long term coordinator, you need to hire a coaching staff with long term commitments to each other.

Now the other way of going about this would be to have such an attractive program, the coordinator position becomes a high end commodity to those high striving possible coordinators. You become the best stepping stone at your level and watch talented people come through the door followed by talented people.

I have no problem with NDSU being a stepping stone for coordinators. This only works with success. Build a successful 1AA program and you will get the best and the finest young coordinators in the business. If they are looking for a step up, then they know their future jobs rely on their present performance. The idea NDSU is a development step for both the players and the coaches is a philosophy born by the head coach and a commitment by the NDSU system to the program and not to individuals. Individuals simply gain from a system developing people for the next level in life.