PDA

View Full Version : FBS system is a joke

westnodak93bison
12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I love college football but I cant stand the defenders of the FBS system.
What a joke. IMHO, there is a conspiracy playing Boise vs. TCU because "they" know Boise or TCU would have a very good shot at knocking off FL and "they" cant have that happen since Boise beat OK a few years ago and Utah trounced AL last year. Can't have another "big" school get embarrased by a WAC or Mountain West team. A team like BYU, Boise, Utah or TCU could go undefeated, out score their opponents by 50 each game and still not be given a shot. Damn the FBS needs a 16 team tournament

mebisonII
12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
In other breaking news...

Grass is green, snow is cold, and politicians lie.

:P

umdbulldogs
12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
What a joke. IMHO, there is a conspiracy playing Boise vs. TCU because "they" know Boise or TCU would have a very good shot at knocking off FL and "they" cant have that happen since Boise beat OK a few years ago and Utah trounced AL last year. Can't have another "big" school get embarrased by a WAC or Mountain West team. A team like BYU, Boise, Utah or TCU could go undefeated, out score their opponents by 50 each game and still not be given a shot. Damn the FBS needs a 16 team tournament

i dont think boise would knock off florida or many others this season but tcu is very interesting! boise needs to play at least two big schools every year since their conference is pile of crap and no one respects it

westnodak93bison
12-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Not being given a chance to compete because your conference is weak is a weak argument in itself.

KCHerd
12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I absolutely agree, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon with all the stuffy school presidents running the show. An 8 team tourney this year would be a monster hit for TV and bring in so much money. They can't see that for some reason

westnodak93bison
12-24-2009, 04:58 PM
"they" can see it but "they" would be out of the money and that is the problem...somebody else would make the money
I cant understand why the majority of FBS schools dont gang up on the big guys and demand a playoff on behalf of fairness.

OrygunBison
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
"they" can see it but "they" would be out of the money and that is the problem...somebody else would make the money
I cant understand why the majority of FBS schools dont gang up on the big guys and demand a playoff on behalf of fairness.

It's not about money. If it were, playoffs are clearly the way to go. I wish people would stop making that argument.

It is about tradition. Good or bad, traditions are hard to abandon, particularly for university presidents which are pretty much the only ones that need to be completely convinced.

I still don't buy it that BSU or BYU or Utah or TCU are worthy of a chance at the BCS title game. It is much easier to compete when you have an easy conference schedule and arrive at bowl season with a healthy team. Those teams wouldn't have as great of records in the major conferences. They would be upper tier in conference, though.

That all said, I would still root for them (after Oregon and Michigan, of course) in a playoff system. That would make for a great story.

Shawn-O
12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I believe they are worried about a couple of things, they being the college presidents.

1. A bigger slice of the financial pie being given up to the Sun Belt, MAC, etc.
2. Additional NCAA control around a playoff system.
3. Devaluation of the regular season.

I would love to see an eight team playoff, six conference winners + two. Or sixteen team playoff with 11 conference winners + 5. Can you imagine a Sun Belt champ knocking off number 1? Ah, to dream. Will probably not happen.

westnodak93bison
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Who would potentially lose money with a switch to a real playoff?
It sure wouldnt be the BYUs, TCUs or Boise States of the college football world. It would be the consistently over rated teams of the Big 10 and PAC 10.

OrygunBison
12-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I believe they are worried about a couple of things, they being the college presidents.

1. A bigger slice of the financial pie being given up to the Sun Belt, MAC, etc.
2. Additional NCAA control around a playoff system.
3. Devaluation of the regular season.

I would love to see an eight team playoff, six conference winners + two. Or sixteen team playoff with 11 conference winners + 5. Can you imagine a Sun Belt champ knocking off number 1? Ah, to dream. Will probably not happen.

1. Sorry, but I respectfully still think that money is not a good argument. A playoff would generate so much more money that even by doling some out to the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, and MWC, it would still be a winfall.

2. As bad as it sounds, I would think that the NCAA is better equiped than the bowl sponsors. Even the presidents can see that.

3. That could potentially be a concern of fans and/or coaches. The presidents would have no idea one way or another so I don't think that this will hold them back either.

It's tradition, plain and simple. Presidents understand that. Anyone that has seen a team that they love go to a bowl game, even a bad one, can understand that. Personally, I understand the desire to keep them even though I'd still prefer a playoff.

Regarding the number of teams in a playoff, I think that 24 would be perfect. That way, you'd have ALL conference champs and a large enough pool of at-large bids to make it worthwhile. Top 8 teams get a bye the first week, then three more weeks. I don't think that you'd see any debate as to who is the champ after that playoff.

Gully
12-24-2009, 05:33 PM
i dont think boise would knock off florida or many others this season but tcu is very interesting! boise needs to play at least two big schools every year since their conference is pile of crap and no one respects it

They beat Oregon at Oregon this year. No one thought they would beat Oklahoma either a few years ago. Greatest college football game ever played.

onbison09
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
TCU has beaten the crap out most of the teams they've played and that conference is not weak. Hell it's probably as good as the Little 10.

Shawn-O
12-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Regarding the number of teams in a playoff, I think that 24 would be perfect. That way, you'd have ALL conference champs and a large enough pool of at-large bids to make it worthwhile. Top 8 teams get a bye the first week, then three more weeks. I don't think that you'd see any debate as to who is the champ after that playoff.

That's an awful lot of teams. You would be asking for another college basketball scenario, everyone tunes out for the first three months and goes nuts the last month. Eight would probably be a good balance. What you're proposing does follow form to all the other NCAA championships however, with autobids to all conference winners and at least an equal number of at-larges.

OrygunBison
12-24-2009, 05:51 PM
That's an awful lot of teams. You would be asking for another college basketball scenario, everyone tunes out for the first three months and goes nuts the last month. Eight would probably be a good balance. What you're proposing does follow form to all the other NCAA championships however, with autobids to all conference winners and at least an equal number of at-larges.

I just don't think it would be much of an improvement without all conference champs and a few at-large bids. Maybe you could do it with 16??? I just love March Madness so much that I'd love to see something of that ilk, but not as many games.

OrygunBison
12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
TCU has beaten the crap out most of the teams they've played and that conference is not weak. Hell it's probably as good as the Little 10.

I want some of what you're smoking...

onbison09
12-24-2009, 06:02 PM

To each his own but they beat BYU 38-7 and Utah 55-28. And each of those teams has beaten a decent PAC 10 team. The top 3 in the Mountain West could compete in the Big 10.

OrygunBison
12-24-2009, 06:13 PM
To each his own but they beat BYU 38-7 and Utah 55-28. And each of those teams has beaten a decent PAC 10 team. The top 3 in the Mountain West could compete in the Big 10.

I would never say that they could not compete in the Big 10. My point is that they wouldn't be the top team. It is different to get up for 3 competitive games a season rather than having to bring it for 8-10. It is the same argument as many people have with us playing FBS teams. Sure we can compete one game a season but I don't have any allusions that we could compete with a full schedule of FBS teams.

Ultimately, I agree with you. A playoff would be great so that the TCU's of the world could have a chance to compete. Being champ of their conference will never do that for them.

ndsubison1
12-24-2009, 07:02 PM
the reason the fbs doesnt have a playoff is because of the bowl system. do tcu and cincy deserve a shot for the national title? I think so. But they dont deserve to be in the title game over Alabama or Texas. They do need to try and improve their schedules. They just dont play in tough enough conferences. Plus I would like to see how BSU and TCU would do in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10.

I think a 16 team or more playoff will never become reality. You would have to reduce the schedule in some shape or form and maybe even conference games. All in all, not gonna happen.

8 team playoff you would have just as much chaos determining who gets in. Plus if you determine conf. champs get in some years more than 1 team from the same conference would deserve to get in over some others. (like SEC, Big 12, Pac 10 over Big East and ACC you'd have some arguments.) Also, if you go straight up 8 best teams the conference championships wouldnt have much merit. I think a 6 or 4 team playoff would work the best, it wouldnt hurt the bowl system too much. Yeah teams would still be left out but at least we'd have a true playoff.

I just dont think there's a good way to determine a champion. There will always be arguments for who gets in, who deserves to be in, blah blah blah. i would love for the BCS to be tweaked a bit, but I dont think it's all that bad.

umdbulldogs
12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
They beat Oregon at Oregon this year. No one thought they would beat Oklahoma either a few years ago. Greatest college football game ever played.

it was in boise! remember the fight?

and for those thinking 8 game playoff? never happen it would be a 4 team playoff and people would bitch about that

Bisonguy
12-24-2009, 08:15 PM
it was in boise! remember the fight?

and for those thinking 8 game playoff? never happen it would be a 4 team playoff and people would bitch about that

The only people that think a 4/8/16 team playoff is a viable option are the ADD/OCD sports writers and their rube minions.

There would be a 22 team field minimum as already set by NCAA precedent, most likely a 24 team field would be reality.

Shawn-O
12-24-2009, 10:14 PM
The issue to me is that I can't think of another NCAA sport where opportunity for a championship is denied to conference champions (not to mention undefeated teams), however unrealistic the opportunity might be.

56BISON73
12-24-2009, 10:20 PM
the reason the fbs doesnt have a playoff is because of the bowl system. do tcu and cincy deserve a shot for the national title? I think so. But they dont deserve to be in the title game over Alabama or Texas. They do need to try and improve their schedules. They just dont play in tough enough conferences. Plus I would like to see how BSU and TCU would do in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10.

I think a 16 team or more playoff will never become reality. You would have to reduce the schedule in some shape or form and maybe even conference games. All in all, not gonna happen.

8 team playoff you would have just as much chaos determining who gets in. Plus if you determine conf. champs get in some years more than 1 team from the same conference would deserve to get in over some others. (like SEC, Big 12, Pac 10 over Big East and ACC you'd have some arguments.) Also, if you go straight up 8 best teams the conference championships wouldnt have much merit. I think a 6 or 4 team playoff would work the best, it wouldnt hurt the bowl system too much. Yeah teams would still be left out but at least we'd have a true playoff.

I just dont think there's a good way to determine a champion. There will always be arguments for who gets in, who deserves to be in, blah blah blah. i would love for the BCS to be tweaked a bit, but I dont think it's all that bad.

How can you say all that when there is a huge freaking NCAA Basketball tourney.
Plus there is only one championship tounament that ISNT run by the NCAA and thats Football.
All of the excuse to not have a playoff in FB are just that Excuses

ndsubison1
12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Plus there is only one championship tounament that ISNT run by the NCAA and thats Football.

comparing apples and oranges... basketball has a much bigger season plus college football has the bowl tradition

4mcruenomore
12-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Here is my question. What is more of a joke, playing in a weak conference you are guaranteed to win, and play NAIA or DII for non-conf, be healthy, and make the playoffs and see what happens nationally. Or, play in a GD conference where everyone is beat up, so when they make or maybe make the playoffs they are so broken up they lose right away?

56BISON73
12-25-2009, 12:22 AM
comparing apples and oranges... basketball has a much bigger season plus college football has the bowl tradition

Just more excuses.

Bisonguy
12-25-2009, 01:06 AM

The same could be said for the playoffs.

Step 1 of any playoff talk is for the membership of FBS to rescind the 1984 Supreme Court decision that took TV rights from the NCAA. Good luck with that. Any talk beyond that is all pie-in-the-sky blather, with any scenario presented short of at least a 22 team field being cannon fodder for a lawsuit from either the smaller or larger FBS schools (depending on whether there are not full autobids, or not enough at-large berths).

56BISON73
12-25-2009, 01:25 AM
The same could be said for the playoffs.

Step 1 of any playoff talk is for the membership of FBS to rescind the 1984 Supreme Court decision that took TV rights from the NCAA. Good luck with that. Any talk beyond that is all pie-in-the-sky blather, with any scenario presented short of at least a 22 team field being cannon fodder for a lawsuit from either the smaller or larger FBS schools (depending on whether there are not full autobids, or not enough at-large berths).

Why would there be a lawsuit? Its supposed to be for the top teams in the nation. Not like the BB tourney where 64 teams get in. (Thats another deal.) The idea isnt to see if a 7-4 team can work up the ladder. The idea is to find the best team. You can do that with a playoff and still have all of the other bowl games.

The reason its so controversial now is because the way its set up basically locks out the smaller conferences from the big MONEY. The underlying theme is MONEY and the BCS games are nothing but a front for it and has nothing to do with a real champion.

But with a playoff the teams record and play would matter as thy would actually get a chance to play themselves to the championship. Not the case now which everyone knows.

Bisonguy
12-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Why would there be a lawsuit? Its supposed to be for the top teams in the nation. Not like the BB tourney where 64 teams get in. (Thats another deal.) The idea isnt to see if a 7-4 team can work up the ladder. The idea is to find the best team. You can do that with a playoff and still have all of the other bowl games.

The reason its so controversial now is because the way its set up basically locks out the smaller conferences from the big MONEY. The underlying theme is MONEY and the BCS games are nothing but a front for it and has nothing to do with a real champion.

But with a playoff the teams record and play would matter as thy would actually get a chance to play themselves to the championship. Not the case now which everyone knows.

IF there was a playoff, you better believe that the NCAA will be taking charge of it. All conference champions would be required to have an autobid, so if there's less than 11, lawsuit from the conference(s) getting left out. All other NCAA championships have at least 50% of the field comprised of at-large berths (it's actually listed as a rule for the FCS championship), so without at least 22 teams, lawsuit from the former BCS conferences that want 2 or 3 teams in the field.

If any of these simpleton solutions from the media were actually researched worth a crap and could actually work, they'd be better off using the two seconds of thought and the six-pack of Heineken that it took to create their proposed solution and use it to create peace in the Middle East. :ranting:

56BISON73
12-25-2009, 03:05 AM
IF there was a playoff, you better believe that the NCAA will be taking charge of it. All conference champions would be required to have an autobid, so if there's less than 11, lawsuit from the conference(s) getting left out. All other NCAA championships have at least 50% of the field comprised of at-large berths (it's actually listed as a rule for the FCS championship), so without at least 22 teams, lawsuit from the former BCS conferences that want 2 or 3 teams in the field.

If any of these simpleton solutions from the media were actually researched worth a crap and could actually work, they'd be better off using the two seconds of thought and the six-pack of Heineken that it took to create their proposed solution and use it to create peace in the Middle East. :ranting:

No doubt the NCAA would take it over. (As much as I hate those SOB:D )

Hey they NCAA gave them the BCS and they can take it away. The BCS can sue all they want but they will lose. It will be what the people want and they are getting a push from congress. They can look back to before the BCS for a presidence. We are taliking money here because remember it is suppoosed to be about a true champion. imo A TRUE CHAMPION DOESNT COME FROM 22 TEAMS PLAYING IT OFF. sORRY FOR THE CAP LOCK.:D

99Bison
12-25-2009, 02:44 PM
You know what would be hilarious...

The NCAA starts a new FBS playoff tournament and crown a champion of it (24 teams as previously stated with at large, conf winners, etc). However, no one has to accept the invite to the tournament, they can play their bowl games instead.

Some might be afraid that this would create a division of the power conferences and not, however if you are not playing in national champ game, and certainly if you are not in a BCS bowl game, you are probably going to want to play with a chance to win a champ. And, the fans, media, sponsors, etc are certainly going to eat the tournament up.

That is of course if your conference doesn't force you to not participate, sponsor, talk about playoffs... which only causes more grief and would be bound to fail.

Anyway, as funny and ideal as it may be, this isn't going to happen because BCS leagues would give into some crappy start of a playoff structure (eg. 4,8 teams) before letting the ncaa pit them against each other and start having the lawsuits fly.

westnodak93bison
12-25-2009, 03:11 PM

hah, hah.....the Little 10 is a joke. I'd love to see TCU or Boise play Iowa, Penn St or Ohio St this year.

westnodak93bison
12-25-2009, 03:22 PM
or Utah, or Cincinnati

umdbulldogs
12-25-2009, 03:53 PM

easy to say that...you can play basketball on back to back to back nights-football you cant, thats why, this shit isnt that hard is it?

4 teams is all the fbs would need to crown a national champ. its usually the 4 top teams that complain why they arent in the title game. i would love to see a playoff this year with

alabama
texas
tcu
cincy

screw boise they havent played anyone good this year other than oregon

i dont need to see every conf winner and a bunch of autobids-if central mich wins their conf i dont want to watch them get beat by 80 to florida that wont interest me. but watching the top 4 teams ranked in the bcs would get me excited.

if they cranked up a 22 team playoff that would hurt fcs schools-because major conf's would basically jump right into conf play and not have the ooc games any longer

westnodak93bison
12-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Cincy aint better than Boise imho. No way they could stop Boise from scoring imho.

ndsubison1
12-25-2009, 05:48 PM
easy to say that...you can play basketball on back to back to back nights-football you cant, thats why, this shit isnt that hard is it?

4 teams is all the fbs would need to crown a national champ. its usually the 4 top teams that complain why they arent in the title game. i would love to see a playoff this year with

alabama
texas
tcu
cincy

i dont need to see every conf winner and a bunch of autobids-if central mich wins their conf i dont want to watch them get beat by 80 to florida that wont interest me. but watching the top 4 teams ranked in the bcs would get me excited.

if they cranked up a 22 team playoff that would hurt fcs schools-because major conf's would basically jump right into conf play and not have the ooc games any longer

well said ++++

56BISON73
12-25-2009, 07:31 PM

alabama
texas
tcu
cincy

The above is what I can agree with you on. Like I said before the NC is supposed to be about the TOP teams not a bunch of also rans looking to play themselves in.

westnodak93bison
12-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I fail to understand why people view D1 football in a different light. Here are some facts about the NCAA Mens tournament. Obviously the top ranked teams dont always live up to their ranking and with recent bowl "upsets" lately I dont see why football would be any different.

Tournament trends
See also: NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship records
[edit] Top-ranked teams
Only six teams, since the beginning of the seeding process in 1979, have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:

1982: North Carolina
1992: Duke
1995: UCLA
2000: Michigan State
2001: Duke
2007: Florida
Prior to the seeding system, teams like North Carolina (1957), UCLA (1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973), and Indiana (1976) were ranked #1 and won the championship.

[edit] #1 seeds
Since the NCAA started seeding teams (1979), only once have all #1 seeds made it to the Final Four (National Semifinals):

2008 Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Memphis (see below)
Memphis' season was erased due to an ineligible player throughout the duration of the season [20]

The championship game has matched two #1 seeds only six times:

1982 North Carolina defeated Georgetown
1993 North Carolina defeated Michigan
1999 Connecticut defeated Duke
2005 North Carolina defeated Illinois
2007 Florida defeated Ohio State
2008 Kansas defeated Memphis
At least one #1 seed has made the Final Four in every year except:

1980 -- Louisville - #2, Iowa - #5, Purdue - #6, UCLA - #8
2006 -- UCLA - #2, Florida - #3, LSU - #4, George Mason - #11

Bisonguy
12-26-2009, 12:56 AM

alabama
texas
tcu
cincy

Again, any talk of a playoff of more than two teams, and it's NCAA time. All or nothing, 22 teams minimum.

That, or as 99 stated, there's going to be a split from the NCAA and a new BCS division.

silkamilkamonico
12-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Again, any talk of a playoff of more than two teams, and it's NCAA time. All or nothing, 22 teams minimum.

That, or as 99 stated, there's going to be a split from the NCAA and a new BCS division.

22 teams is far too much. Wanting playoffs is one thing, but throwing in a bunch of teams that don't deserve to be there just to make it a "playoff atmosphere" is an epic fail.

Every year there aren't more than 5-6 teams that can honestly say they deserve a chance. I'd be ok with 6-8 teams, and no more.

Just MHO.

fbsbison
12-26-2009, 01:35 AM
im a fbs connoisseur and I really would like to see a Bowl Playoff.

How about top 4 teams are in the 3 bigger bowls ( semi's and champ)
then 4 other teams in the 3 medium bowls (semi's and champ)

then take next 40 teams into the remaining 20 bowl games.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2009, 02:29 AM
The pussy schools like the big 10 teams will fight the playoff tooth and nail because they know the likes of Utah, BYU, Boise, TCU, Cincy etc will be out for blood not "roses"

Bisonguy
12-26-2009, 02:33 AM
22 teams is far too much. Wanting playoffs is one thing, but throwing in a bunch of teams that don't deserve to be there just to make it a "playoff atmosphere" is an epic fail.

Every year there aren't more than 5-6 teams that can honestly say they deserve a chance. I'd be ok with 6-8 teams, and no more.

Just MHO.

If it's a playoff championship, there's three options:
1) 2 team playoff, ie status quo
2) 22 team minimum NCAA playoff
3) 4-16 team playoff, with the members of the Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big East and Pac-10 no longer in the current NCAA version of DI. Just think of how easy it will be to fill out the March Madness brackets!

Option 1 is the lesser of three evils, IMHO.

umdbulldogs
12-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I fail to understand why people view D1 football in a different light. Here are some facts about the NCAA Mens tournament. Obviously the top ranked teams dont always live up to their ranking and with recent bowl "upsets" lately I dont see why football would be any different.

Tournament trends
See also: NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship records
[edit] Top-ranked teams
Only six teams, since the beginning of the seeding process in 1979, have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:

1982: North Carolina
1992: Duke
1995: UCLA
2000: Michigan State
2001: Duke
2007: Florida
Prior to the seeding system, teams like North Carolina (1957), UCLA (1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973), and Indiana (1976) were ranked #1 and won the championship.

[edit] #1 seeds
Since the NCAA started seeding teams (1979), only once have all #1 seeds made it to the Final Four (National Semifinals):

2008 Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Memphis (see below)
Memphis' season was erased due to an ineligible player throughout the duration of the season [20]

The championship game has matched two #1 seeds only six times:

1982 North Carolina defeated Georgetown
1993 North Carolina defeated Michigan
1999 Connecticut defeated Duke
2005 North Carolina defeated Illinois
2007 Florida defeated Ohio State
2008 Kansas defeated Memphis
At least one #1 seed has made the Final Four in every year except:

1980 -- Louisville - #2, Iowa - #5, Purdue - #6, UCLA - #8
2006 -- UCLA - #2, Florida - #3, LSU - #4, George Mason - #11

i dont understand how you can compare basketball to football? football cant play back to back nights so a large 20+ team tourney would take forever and would lead to no ooc games. teams would wake up out of their training camps and be rushed into conference play. how many games in the season does the average college team play? 30? and football teams play 12, this is why i dont understand the comparison? if you jump directly into conference play that will leave a school with 2-3 less home games a season that would hurt revenue. and if a school misses out on extra tv money, ooc pay days, etc etc that could lead to bad schools losing football due to the cost needed to support the program. not to mention if a program didnt make the playoffs and lost out of the tourney money. football is a business and it will get much worse before it gets better!

therefore you take the top 4 teams and they have a playoff, you keep the bowls and the OOC payday games so football programs wont be cut left and right!

westnodak93bison
12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I'll take your option #2 with the higher seed getting home field advantage with the championship at the new Dallas stadium. Each game probably would be a guaranteed sell out.

unbison
12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll take your option #2 with the higher seed getting home field advantage with the championship at the new Dallas stadium. Each game probably would be a guaranteed sell out.
let me guess your a cowboy fan

umdbulldogs
12-27-2009, 09:02 PM

This is your perfect scenario:
Top 16 from the BCS
1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Florida
6) Boise St
7)Oregon
8) Ohio St
9) Georgia Tech
10) Iowa
11) Virginia Tech
12) LSU
13)Penn St
14) BYU
15) Miami
16) West Virginia

Of the top 16 teams 8 are conference champions. Honestly does anyone on here think all 16 of these teams deserves a shot at a national title?

And if we were to allow only Conf Champs it would look like this:
1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Boise St
6) Gerogia Tech
7) Oregon
8) Ohio St
9) Houston
10) Central Mich
11) Troy

This tourney looks horrible. especially if there was a neutral site rule...Alabama fans wouldn't travel to a neutral site to watch 'Bama vs Troy. This "playoff" idea sucks with more than 6 teams in my opinion. It would allow the rich to get richer and the poor to fall apart!

1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Florida
6) Boise St

Take the top 6 with #1 and #2 getting a first round bye-but keep the bowls! For the most part this doesnt add a lot of games to the season and it allows schools to still recieve their bowl paydays.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
nope, just a logical place since it is the biggest and best stadium

Bisonguy
12-27-2009, 09:57 PM
This is your perfect scenario:
Top 16 from the BCS
1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Florida
6) Boise St
7)Oregon
8) Ohio St
9) Georgia Tech
10) Iowa
11) Virginia Tech
12) LSU
13)Penn St
14) BYU
15) Miami
16) West Virginia

Of the top 16 teams 8 are conference champions. Honestly does anyone on here think all 16 of these teams deserves a shot at a national title?

16 teams= lawsuit for the field to expand to 22

And if we were to allow only Conf Champs it would look like this:
1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Boise St
6) Gerogia Tech
7) Oregon
8) Ohio St
9) Houston
10) Central Mich
11) Troy

This tourney looks horrible. especially if there was a neutral site rule...Alabama fans wouldn't travel to a neutral site to watch 'Bama vs Troy. This "playoff" idea sucks with more than 6 teams in my opinion. It would allow the rich to get richer and the poor to fall apart!

Think of how awesome the playoff field will look with 22 teams, with 11 autobids.

1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) Cincy
4) TCU
5) Florida
6) Boise St

Take the top 6 with #1 and #2 getting a first round bye-but keep the bowls! For the most part this doesnt add a lot of games to the season and it allows schools to still recieve their bowl paydays.

Again, lawsuit.

Bisonguy
12-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Interesting twist with the NFL stadium for the championship game. I like it, but I'd rather see it with cities bidding for it and they cannot host more than once every 4-5 years somewhat like the Superbowl.

56BISON73
12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
16 teams= lawsuit for the field to expand to 22

Think of how awesome the playoff field will look with 22 teams, with 11 autobids.

Again, lawsuit.

I dont see why you think that all the scenarios would result in a law suit when a law suit cant make a championship happen.:D
But as they say---anyone can sue but that doesnt mean they are going to win.

Bisonguy
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I dont see why you think that all the scenarios would result in a law suit when a law suit cant make a championship happen.:D
But as they say---anyone can sue but that doesnt mean they are going to win.

They'd all be pretty easy lawsuits, as there's already concrete precedents in place for an autobid for each qualifying conference (11) and at least 50% of the field comprised of at-large berths to satisfy the "adequate NCAA championship opportunities relative to the nationwide quality of competition" that the NCAA loves. 22 teams minimum for a playoff field.

Any sort of 'playoff' of less than 22 teams that the BCS tries to conduct themselves (such as the 4, 6, 8 team playoffs) and the NCAA will be shutting that down faster than you can say national champions. The BCS knows this, that's why they created the whole #1 vs. #2 game.

IF a playoff system could conceivably generate more income for the NCAA than the current bowl system, don't you think the NCAA would be all over it? Playoffs mean a much, much shorter timeframe for fans to purchase tickets/travel to the games/deal with getting time off from work/etc., plus fewer TV slots for games. Not exactly a great way to maximize profits.

OrygunBison
12-28-2009, 01:27 AM
IF a playoff system could conceivably generate more income for the NCAA than the current bowl system, don't you think the NCAA would be all over it? Playoffs mean a much, much shorter timeframe for fans to purchase tickets/travel to the games/deal with getting time off from work/etc., plus fewer TV slots for games. Not exactly a great way to maximize profits.

The rest of your points have been good but this one is just silly. Right now, the sponsors make all of the money. The NCAA and the schools stand to make more with a playoff system. The TV contracts alone would be obscene.

Tradition is what is keeping the university presidents from making a change. Nothing else. The best example is the Rose Bowl. The rich tradition of the Rose Bowl is why the Pac 10 and Big 10 didn't submit to the will of the BCS right away. Ultimately, the allure of the BCS championship game was too much for them to resist and ultimately, so will a playoff system.

Bisonguy
12-28-2009, 02:21 AM
The rest of your points have been good but this one is just silly. Right now, the sponsors make all of the money. The NCAA and the schools stand to make more with a playoff system. The TV contracts alone would be obscene.

Tradition is what is keeping the university presidents from making a change. Nothing else. The best example is the Rose Bowl. The rich tradition of the Rose Bowl is why the Pac 10 and Big 10 didn't submit to the will of the BCS right away. Ultimately, the allure of the BCS championship game was too much for them to resist and ultimately, so will a playoff system.

I'll argue that the TV contracts would not be as good with a playoff as they are now. Maybe the payouts to the schools/conferences would be greater, but with fewer and less optimal timeslots and less time to sell ads, the gross revenue would not be the same.

On the subject of TV, whose TV contracts? Will the schools relinquish TV rights to the NCAA? Once again, a major roadblock to a viable playoff, that pesky little Supreme Court decision from 1984.

56BISON73
12-28-2009, 03:14 AM
I'll argue that the TV contracts would not be as good with a playoff as they are now. Maybe the payouts to the schools/conferences would be greater, but with fewer and less optimal timeslots and less time to sell ads, the gross revenue would not be the same.

On the subject of TV, whose TV contracts? Will the schools relinquish TV rights to the NCAA? Once again, a major roadblock to a viable playoff, that pesky little Supreme Court decision from 1984.

One BIG problem. The NCAA sanctions all of the bowl games. That by itself is the big hammer. Unless the teams want to tell the NCAA to stick it and go off by themselves.