PDA

View Full Version : Replacement DC and LB coaches

SDbison
12-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Lots of rumors out there.........one says an announcement will be made tomorrow. Timing is right if its true the University of Sioux Falls coaches are involved. Any more talk of these or others as possible replacements?

unbison
12-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I have heard rumors that the sioux falls head coach and d coordinator will be added to the staff tomorrow..... just rumor....:hide:

bisonmike2
12-20-2009, 06:19 PM
One of the Jacks fans more familiar with the USF coach said he's more of an offensive coach. Is he really a good fit at DC or LB coach? I guess if you can coach you can coach.

tjbison
12-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I have heard rumors that the sioux falls head coach and d coordinator will be added to the staff tomorrow..... just rumor....:hide:

this just seems unlikely to me, but you never know

lakesbison
12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
WHY do i tell you 2 loudmouths anything....'sigh' if ricky bobby was here, he'd kick ur ass!!!

JacksFan06
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
USF head coach experience:

Hometown: Milbank, S.D.
Alma Mater: University of Sioux Falls

Previous Experience:
USF head coach: 2005-
USF offensive coordinator: 2000-2004
USF student assistant: 1997

ndsubison1
12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
One of the Jacks fans more familiar with the USF coach said he's more of an offensive coach. Is he really a good fit at DC or LB coach? I guess if you can coach you can coach.

his teams defense has been dominant too

EndZoneQB
12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
USF head coach experience:

Hometown: Milbank, S.D.
Alma Mater: University of Sioux Falls

Previous Experience:
USF head coach: 2005-
USF offensive coordinator: 2000-2004
USF student assistant: 1997

1978 Brigham Young
(graduate assistant

1981-1985
San Diego State
(tight ends coach)
1986-1988
Utah State
(offensive coordinator)

1989-1991
Stanford
(assistant head coach and
tight ends coach)

1992-1998
Minnesota Vikings
(offensive coordinator)
1999-2007 )
Baltimore Ravens
(head coach)

Experience point nullified. An 'offensive mind' churns out a great defensive team that wins a Super Bowl.

SiouxFan
12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Why would the Sioux Falls HC leave to become DC of NDSU? He has won, what, 3 or 4 National Championships proving his worth as a Head Coach and now he is going to become a DC? Makes zero sense.

IMO, he is on track to take over a Mid-level FCS as a Head Coach. BTW, he has never coached defense before.

Now if you are taking their DC from Sioux Falls, that would be pretty embarrassing considering the jokes you have made about NAIA this, NAIA that to UND fans. Or am I wrong?

ndsubison1
12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Why would the Sioux Falls HC leave to become DC of NDSU? He has won, what, 3 or 4 National Championships proving his worth as a Head Coach and now he is going to become a DC? Makes zero sense.

IMO, he is on track to take over a Mid-level FCS as a Head Coach. BTW, he has never coached defense before.

Now if you are taking their DC from Sioux Falls, that would be pretty embarrassing considering the jokes you have made about NAIA this, NAIA that to UND fans. Or am I wrong?

you're right why would he ever want to move up the coaching latter, especially to division 1. doesnt make much sense

johnson
12-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Who would ever move to run a defense with a school that has a much larger budget and nicer facilities that is in the FCS?

EndZoneQB
12-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah, making fun of LOSING to an NAIA team(or was it 2? Oh wait, you came back in that game). Coaches move up all the time, don't really see the correlation between you guys not being able to compete, us laughing, and then hiring their coaches? I can see how that makes sense to a Sioux fan tho...atleast you guys have hockey...

tjbison
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, making fun of LOSING to an NAIA team(or was it 2? Oh wait, you came back in that game). Coaches move up all the time, don't really see the correlation between you guys not being able to compete, us laughing, and then hiring their coaches? I can see how that makes sense to a Sioux fan tho...atleast you guys have hockey...

they do?? looks like from the TV they have let that kinda slip thru also, LOTS of empty seats last nigh and at the WI series. Only 1 thats a huge ticket anymore if the gophers

anyway, yes their coaches coming to NDSU would be WAY different than the team with out a nickname losing to them

SiouxFan
12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Who would ever move to run a defense with a school that has a much larger budget and nicer facilities that is in the FCS?

My guess would be somebody who has actually ran a defense before. For example, I wouldn't hire Brian Billick to be a DC just because he was really good coach--a really good Offensive Coach his entire career.

It just doesn't make sense to me in this situation because he has been an Offensive coach his whole career--AND--he has won multiple NC's as a Head Coach. We will see how it plays out.

EndZoneQB
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
a really good Offensive Coach his entire career.

Tell that to his SuperBowl team.

SiouxFan
12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Tell that to his SuperBowl team.

OK, take a deep breath and then go read what I wrote. He was the HEAD COACH for Baltimore....HEAD COACH. Not the Defensive Coordinator.

You are hiring Deboer to be the Defensive Coordinator, not the Head Coach. I repeat, you are hiring a Offensive mind to be your Defensive Coordinator. Completely opposite things.

This is the only reason why I question the move. He is a great coach, very smart. If you were hiring him to be your HC, I would understand.

Bison"FANatic"
12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Well USF has been doing something right with their D. I don't know who is responsible for setting up the schemes but it has worked.

2009 136 points given up in 14 games for a 9.71 average

2008 83 points given up in 14 games for a 5.93 average

2007 136 points given up in 14 games for a 9.71 average.

Those are some crazy stats at any level.

SiouxFan
12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Well USF has been doing something right with their D. I don't know who is responsible for setting up the schemes but it has worked.

2009 136 points given up in 14 games for a 9.71 average

2008 83 points given up in 14 games for a 5.93 average

2007 136 points given up in 14 games for a 9.71 average.

Those are some crazy stats at any level.

Agreed. Their defense is very sound. Makes me wonder how much involvement Deboer had in the defense if this rumor is true.

Bison"FANatic"
12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Agreed. Their defense is very sound. Makes me wonder how much involvement Deboer had in the defense if this rumor is true.

Who knows but if he had no part in it I really doubt Bohl is going to bring in someone with no defensive knowledge. He would like to be employed after next year and he isn't stupid. So if We do bring in the HC of USF I would bet he had a lot of say in the D. Whoever we bring in I hope it is a up and comer with a ton of fire.

SiouxFan
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Who knows but if he had no part in it I really doubt Bohl is going to bring in someone with no defensive knowledge. He would like to be employed after next year and he isn't stupid. So if We do bring in the HC of USF I would bet he had a lot of say in the D. Whoever we bring in I hope it is a up and comer with a ton of fire.

Well, he would be your guy. Not a ton of fire from what I saw but extremely smart and very well liked by his players. He was a young guy who had the complete respect of all his players.

Personally, I wished he would've be our Head Coach someday.

Facts
12-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Not to pile on here (no football pun intended), but those jokes refer to the quality of the athlete you lost to... not the quality of an up and coming coach. As far as DeBoer's defensive experience... If he's hired to be the DC we'll find out. I'd say it'd be pretty hard to not improve from last year.

westnodak93bison
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
imho, "fire" is so over rated. I'd rather have a DC that can make adjustments more so than be a cheerleader.

tcbison
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, he would be your guy. Not a ton of fire from what I saw but extremely smart and very well liked by his players. He was a young guy who had the complete respect of all his players.

Personally, I wished he would've be our Head Coach someday.

Our? Who are you talking about here?

JacksFan06
12-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Debeor would be a good hire because after Bohl get's the axe next year they can just promote him to head coach.

JacksFan06
12-20-2009, 10:29 PM
1978 Brigham Young
(graduate assistant

1981-1985
San Diego State
(tight ends coach)
1986-1988
Utah State
(offensive coordinator)

1989-1991
Stanford
(assistant head coach and
tight ends coach)

1992-1998
Minnesota Vikings
(offensive coordinator)
1999-2007 )
Baltimore Ravens
(head coach)

Experience point nullified. An 'offensive mind' churns out a great defensive team that wins a Super Bowl.

Experience point far from nullified. This is a bad analogy. Brian Billick was the Head Coach, not the defensive coordinator.
He didn't call he defensive plays, he didn't facilitate the defensive game plan, he wasn't even the GM that went out and drafted good players like Ray Lewis.

westnodak93bison
12-20-2009, 11:03 PM
How well did the SF special teams perform?

bkit29
12-21-2009, 02:46 AM
how bout Gus for our DC. With a new GM coming in, and a uncapped year coming up. I wouldnt be surprised to see the entire seahawks staff fired.

TheDoctor
12-21-2009, 03:49 AM

I don't doubt you have heard a rumor..remember though, it is Lakes. :rofl: ;)

BisonNolesFan77
12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
how bout Gus for our DC. With a new GM coming in, and a uncapped year coming up. I wouldnt be surprised to see the entire seahawks staff fired.

That thought has crossed my mind as well...the loss to a 1-12 team today sure isn't going to help.

80ALUM
12-21-2009, 05:47 AM

You are wrong!

Bison Dan
12-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Debeor would be a good hire because after Bohl get's the axe next year they can just promote him to head coach.

Still smarting from that embrassing lost at Montana??? What 34 points in the 4 quarter was it?

lakesbison
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I think they are bringing both USF guys in based on rumors, Bohl will take more of a defensive coach role with their Def Coordinator.

Deboer will be an "head asst coach" with alot of input on Offense and it'll be a 2 man operation on both sides of the ball. hell, it cant get any worse than last year, can it?

Bison"FANatic"
12-21-2009, 02:04 PM
How well did the SF special teams perform?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20091221/SPORTS0204/912210329/1002/rss02

I know where you were going though with the question:D :D :D :D

BisonNeil
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20091221/SPORTS0204/912210329/1002/rss02

I know where you were going though with the question:D :D :D :D

There's a headline you haven't seen in the paper under Bohl's tenure.

lakesbison
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Argh. It Still Hasnt Happened!

NDSUFan_Sav
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM

coaching at NAIA and producing shows they know how to win, you aren't going to just go and jump to FCS and become a HC, maybe it'll happen but I just don't see it happening he's young and DC/OC or whatever is a start.

Now go back to worrying about your school mascot/name!

CaBisonFan
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM

You...of all people...should know about NAIA embarrassment...:cool:

My hometown college...Mayville State...is in that division. Er...am I thinking basketball? I'm getting confused about which sport and which team from the NAIA...ah...you know...wow.

Notorious
12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Did I miss the press release? Who's coming in?

westnodak93bison
12-26-2009, 05:12 PM
too quiet for my liking

Hammersmith
12-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Isn't there some big NCAA football meeting in mid-January? It might be worth waiting and doing a big block of interviews during that period.

ndsubison1
12-26-2009, 08:25 PM
i think it's best to hire them asap, for recruiting reasons

westnodak93bison
12-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I hope our verbals dont get nervous about the coaching vacancies.

TheDoctor
12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Any idea when an announcement may be made? Does Lakes..um..er..Kolpack have an idea? :rofl: ;)

BisonNeil
12-27-2009, 03:27 PM
My guess is that Bohl will go with the current situation until the NCAA or AFCA meetings. He has done this many times in his 7 years and he never rushes the process.

I am sure the existing staff has solidified the current verbals and while the coaching staff is a consideration in the recruiting process, no question about that, HS kids are really picking a school, an academic program, and a team. In the latter case, the coaches are only a part of the team concept.

And although it is a small point, I think it should be made nonetheless. The two coaches to be replaced are on the defense. Only 8 of the current 18 verbals are on that side of the ball, and a couple of those were actually recruited by AJ Cooper. I really suspect that nothing will happen as far as hires until after signing day and Bohl's wedding.

One other point, there is a hiring freeze on at NDSU. I am sure these positions will be released, but technically the President has to sign off on them and the paperwork has to move through the system. That is never rapid at a university and will be slower than usual because of the freeze. Additionally, there are a few months of contract for the two coaches that have left and that may need to be paid out. Not sure of this last point, but it may be the case since all are given a 1 yr contract. This also could delay the hiring process.

jjbballfan
12-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Chuck Morrell is USF's defensive coordinator, Chuck was the defensive coordinator when Kalen was the OC, the way I understood is Chuck RUNS the defense, Kalen runs the offense..... Chuck's dad (Russ) has the most career wins of any high school coach in South Dakota, also coached SDSU legend Josh Ranek in high school......

GOB1SON
12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.eiupanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=71

steelbison
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.eiupanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=71

This is some sort of a joke..right??

AEBison1998
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
He kept everything in front of him which is good for a safety, it just isn't what you want from a corner. But if you aren't as fast as the WR's what else do you do.

Hey, just because the guy wasn't all that fast, doesn't mean he can't coach. His dad was apparently a very good LB coach. I think he just wasn't a good head coach and apparently is not as good as a DC. A talent in one area sometimes causes a liability in another.

With Bobby... don't say a guy can't coach because he didn't run a 4.4.
(Of course, the reverse is also true....just because a guy is slow doesn't mean he can coach.)

steelbison
12-29-2009, 02:05 PM
He kept everything in front of him which is good for a safety, it just isn't what you want from a corner. But if you aren't as fast as the WR's what else do you do.

Hey, just because the guy wasn't all that fast, doesn't mean he can't coach. His dad was apparently a very good LB coach. I think he just wasn't a good head coach and apparently is not as good as a DC. A talent in one area sometimes causes a liability in another.

(Of course, the reverse is also true....just because a guy is slow doesn't mean he can coach.)

My comment had nothing to do with him as a player and everything to do with a little thing called expierence!!!! Sorry but three years as a DB coach in no way shape or form qualifies him to be DC in my opinion..

BisonAccountant44
12-29-2009, 02:05 PM

:offtopic: Sorry, but every time I hear the name Bobby Babich two things come to mind. Number one is my only experience meeting him, when my friends and I destroyed the football team in tippy cup at the turf on band day, mainly because he flipped cups like he covered WR's. The second is when the Spectrum ran the Top 10 things you'll never hear on campus and number 2 was "Good game Bobby."

tony
12-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Actually, Bobby turned into a good db. And no matter what else you say about him, at least he looked interested in tackling.

RedRiver
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I doubt Babich would be considered for the DC position but he has the qualifications to be a DB position coach.

ndsubison1
12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
:offtopic: Sorry, but every time I hear the name Bobby Babich two things come to mind. Number one is my only experience meeting him, when my friends destroyed the football team in tippy cup at the turf on band day, mainly because he flipped cups like he covered WR's. The second is when the Spectrum ran the Top 10 things you'll never hear on campus and number 2 was "Good game Bobby."

i know funny and that is funny!

AEBison1998
12-29-2009, 09:38 PM
My comment had nothing to do with him as a player and everything to do with a little thing called expierence!!!! Sorry but three years as a DB coach in no way shape or form qualifies him to be DC in my opinion..

I understand now. But we need a DB coach and a LB coach. One of which is the DC. I too would not see him as a DC.

EndZoneQB
12-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I doubt Babich would be considered for the DC position but he has the qualifications to be a DB position coach.

And lets face it, being a coaches son, especially one that does have NFL experience, does give him a decent pedigree.

ndsubison1
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
id be all for babich coaching the db's

Bison06
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I would highly doubt if Bobby Babich would ever consider a position at North Dakota State with the way he was treated by the fan base. See above post in the spectrum for exhibit A. He continues to be ridiculed by many on this board to this day. I was personally offended that our student newspaper ran that article, I can only imagine how Bobby felt about it. He would be more than qualified for the DB position, but IMO wouldn't even pick up the phone if Coach Bohl called him for a position.

fbsbison
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I think its time for NDSU to find an ex-fbs coach. there has to be a guy out there that got let go recently and need a job comperable to a high end fcs school like NDSU.

Kermit
12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I think its time for NDSU to find an ex-fbs coach. there has to be a guy out there that got let go recently and need a job comperable to a high end fcs school like NDSU.

Lakes, we've had many former FBS coaches including Breske and Camp. It's time to bring in some assistants who might stick around awhile and bring some continuity to the program.

westnodak93bison
12-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Todd Wash for DC. Do I have a second?

GOB1SON
12-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Lakes, we've had many former FBS coaches including Breske and Camp. It's time to bring in some assistants who might stick around awhile and bring some continuity to the program.

I agree!

I am looking for a young stud, lots of passion and fire, with a strong desire to improve his coaching resume. I don't care if he is looking to "climb the ladder". A great young guy will probably stick around for a few years.

I do think that the attrition we see here is a sign of a program that has quality coaches.

I proposed Babich, out of thin air. I am not even sure if he is doing a good job at Eastern Ill. But his wife is from South Dakota and she played bball here for Amy, so they are both alums so he might be interested. The negative parts of the history might play a big part.

ISXBISON
12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
The student section still chants "2's a f@ggot" every game even though Babich has been gone for a few years...I can't imagine Bobby feeling very welcome or wanted here.

Hansel
12-30-2009, 01:15 AM
The student section still chants "2's a f@ggot" every game even though Babich has been gone for a few years...I can't imagine Bobby feeling very welcome or wanted here.

that chant started well before Bobby was playing football and directed at opposing teams

99Bison
12-30-2009, 06:14 AM
that chant started well before Bobby was playing football and directed at opposing teams

Yep, #2 from Northern Colorado was the start.

ISXBISON
12-30-2009, 06:46 AM
My bad--I had been told it was about Bobby Babich. Funny thing I've been a season ticket holder for over a dozen years and I didn't remember hearing it before he played so it made sense to me.:hide:

ndsubison1
12-30-2009, 06:51 AM
My bad--I had been told it was about Bobby Babich. Funny thing I've been a season ticket holder for over a dozen years and I didn't remember hearing it before he played so it made sense to me.:hide:

yep, before his time... we will cheer it no matter what

Bison06
12-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I second the Todd Wash motion.

BisonNeil
12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Todd Wash for DC. Do I have a second?

If Morris doesn't get fired, Wash won't be available. Under any other circumstance NDSU wouldn't be able to afford Todd.

bisonhusker
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Todd isn't making a ton of money yet in the NFL....and if he did lose his job, it would be very interesting to see if he would come back. He would be really fun to have around. Talk about a guy with some good stories for recruiting.

AEBison1998
12-31-2009, 02:56 AM
Here is one possibility:

Scott Hazelton has coached both LB's and DB's prior to coming to NDSU. Last year AJ Cooper changed to become the DE coach. Could Coopper take the DL and Hazelton move to LB or DB or even DC?

Anyone know either of these guys and their skill set? I think Cooper has been on offense all his career except for this past year. That is one big strike against him I would think.

funteddy
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Will Todd Wash, be around if the HC gets the axe in Tampa?

westnodak93bison
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM

we can only hope

ISXBISON
01-03-2010, 12:10 AM

I doubt the HC is done in Tampa and I doubt Wash would come back here after a stint in the NFL unless it was just another temporary stop. I could see him going to work with Gus Bradley in Seattle if the Tampa thing comes to an end.

tjbison
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Anybody heard anything about when our new coaches will be named????

johnson
01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry for briefly switching subjects here but has there been any news on a possible replacement for Breske yet?

NDSUstudent
01-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry for briefly switching subjects here but has there been any news on a possible replacement for Breske yet?

I thought I heard that something could happen after the coaches convention.

johnson
01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I thought I heard that something could happen after the coaches convention.
I've read that also. Just wondering if any names have been tossed around. It seems like we've heard a bit about Montana's search. Just thought maybe a name or two are out there.

tony
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
de-leached this thread (go to news about other schools for the whole Texas Tech discussion).

bkit29
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Casey Bradley probably needs a job. Mora was just fired after one season.
Lets fire Bohl and get Gus back.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Casey Bradley probably needs a job. Mora was just fired after one season.
Lets fire Bohl and get Gus back.

Wow, I wonder if Gus would comeback and be the DC?

bisonhusker
01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
He would be the best thing to ever happen to this defense. Guy can flat out coach. What a stud. How a staff gets one year in the NFL is beyond me. Nobody works harder.

bkit29
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
The seahawks did not improve during the season and where probably the worst team in the NFL the last 4 weeks.

westnodak93bison
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Wash or Gus. Cant go wrong either way imho.

bisonmike2
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
The seahawks did not improve during the season and where probably the worst team in the NFL the last 4 weeks.

No kidding. Thanks to them I lost my FFL championship game. It's a special kind of bad that allows Brandon Jackson to get the endzone multiple times in 1 game.

GOB1SON
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm. Going from DC in the NFL making solid bank (350,000 + ??) with the reputation as a great young up- and coming coach back to NDSU DC for around 90 grand.

Not so sure we are gonna see Gus on the sidelines anytime soon.

Once these boys are in the NFL, they ain't coming back. Unless they suck, in which case we don't want them anyway.

bisonmike2
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Hmmmm. Going from DC in the NFL making solid bank (350,000 + ??) with the reputation as a great young up- and coming coach back to NDSU DC for around 90 grand.

Not so sure we are gonna see Gus on the sidelines anytime soon.

Once these boys are in the NFL, they ain't coming back. Unless they suck, in which case we don't want them anyway.

I'd take a NFL reject Bradley back any day. It's not like they beat the football knowledge out of him.

GOB1SON
01-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd take a NFL reject Bradley back any day. It's not like they beat the football knowledge out of him.

I would too. But that's not what I meant.

I don't think we have the budget to bring him back, even as HC. From all reports, he is building a good rep (at least prior to this season) and will command a pretty good salary. Wash too.

One in the NFL, we probably won't see those guys again, unless we go FBS.

baseballfan7
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I know it had been mentioned before on here that Chuck Morrell the DC of the University Of Sioux Falls could be a possiblity to come here. It was just reported by Keloland news that he has resigned his position at USF. Nothing was mentioned of where he was going.

NDSUstudent
01-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I know it had been mentioned before on here that Chuck Morrell the DC of the University Of Sioux Falls could be a possiblity to come here. It was just reported by Keloland news that he has resigned his position at USF. Nothing was mentioned of where he was going.

That sounds interesting...

tjbison
01-11-2010, 11:37 PM

HMMM........it is very interesting on the timing

JacksFan06
01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement at NDSU this week related to this story.

http://keloland.com/sports/NewsDetail7984.cfm?Id=95075

ISXBISON
01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement at NDSU this week related to this story.

http://keloland.com/sports/NewsDetail7984.cfm?Id=95075

Should be interesting...

RRVBISON
01-12-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm sure it's been posted here before, but what style defense did Morrell run in Sioux Falls? Is he a good fit for NDSU?

roadwarrior
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm sure it's been posted here before, but what style defense did Morrell run in Sioux Falls? Is he a good fit for NDSU?

A winning one!

westnodak93bison
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
seriously, I was wondering what scheme they run in SF....obviously it works or maybe they have DII/FCS talent?

Witt
01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I've heard Morrell retired....to go after other life interests....but certainly what's being rumored here is possible.

For those interested in his defensive approach....aggressive 3-4 defense. Had the best NAIA defense the last 3 years....last 2 years giving up 6 ppg and 10ppg.

Kermit
01-12-2010, 01:24 AM
This might be a clue: http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Football/Dominating-with-the-3-4-Defense_FD-03243.html?id=2txCBUvg

Dominating with the 3-4 Defense: Pass Pressures

with Chuck Morrell,
University of Sioux Falls Defensive Coordinator,
2008 College Fanz Assistant Coach of the Year

Chuck Morrell is in charge of one of the most dominating defensive units in the country. In 2008 the Cougars allowed only 94.7 passing yards per game, were able to sack opposing quarterbacks 35 times and shut out their opponents in 7 out of 14 games. In this football DVD, Coach Morrell highlights the many advantages of running a 3-4 defense. Add a speed player to your defense, increase your coverage options, and add versatility to your pass rush! Morrell show you how to force offensive linemen to move their feet, which helps make the pocket uncomfortable for the quarterback. He explains four pass pressures and utilizes game tape to show each pressure in action. Coach Morrell also diagrams schemes to stop the bubble screen and quick screen. An excellent complement to Morrell's 3-4 Defense Run Pressures.

57 minutes. 2009.

EndZoneQB
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Well considering it seems like we signed a massive class of LBs and not many DLs...I'd say it might be a decent assumption. The article certainly does not lead you to believe he "retired for other life interests"...

westnodak93bison
01-12-2010, 01:35 AM
I'd hate to see him land at SIU.

catsuperfan
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
To answer all of your questions. I do believe that you may be getting Chuck Morell. And in fact if you are, I can tell you he is probably one of the best defensive coordinators in Football at all college levels. I know this because I am in contact with several D1 coaches and they know Chuck and his philosophies and defense well. He has been pursued for a couple of years by some strong D1 programs but stayed at USF because he has been happy and wanted to get the National Championships and get the program to where it is today.

Being a USF Cougar fan I can't tell you guys how lucky you really are. I guess that you will find out. His defense is the 3-5 and USF is one of the best team at running the 3-5 because of Chuck. He is also a great recruiter and has brought some huge players into USF over the years. He is also as tough a coach as they come and can be as mean as a Badger but his players love him, respect him and love to play for him. Overall the guy is brilliant.

As a USF Coo fan I am bummed. But at the same time happy for him and can say congratulations to all of you. Your gonna love this guy!

johnson
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
To answer all of your questions. I do believe that you may be getting Chuck Morell. And in fact if you are, I can tell you he is probably one of the best defensive coordinators in Football at all college levels. I know this because I am in contact with several D1 coaches and they know Chuck and his philosophies and defense well. He has been pursued for a couple of years by some strong D1 programs but stayed at USF because he has been happy and wanted to get the National Championships and get the program to where it is today.

Being a USF Cougar fan I can't tell you guys how lucky you really are. I guess that you will find out. His defense is the 3-5 and USF is one of the best team at running the 3-5 because of Chuck. He is also a great recruiter and has brought some huge players into USF over the years. He is also as tough a coach as they come and can be as mean as a Badger but his players love him, respect him and love to play for him. Overall the guy is brilliant.

As a USF Coo fan I am bummed. But at the same time happy for him and can say congratulations to all of you. Your gonna love this guy!

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100111/UPDATES/100111037/1001/news

?

lakesbison
01-12-2010, 05:21 AM
CAN SOMEONE PAT ME ON THE BACK?? "WELCOME TO NDSU CHUCK MORELL" love your summer sausage!! oh wait, thats his brother JOHN.

USF - NDSU is a challenge no doubt!!

Jdubs21
01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
well somethin better happen soon....seems to be getting late on signing some coaches

DjKyRo
01-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Steven Threet for DC?

Kermit
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

The American Football Coaches Association is meeting in Orlando right now and extending through tomorrow (Wed 1/13). There will probably be some news about the status of the DC search when Coach Bohl returns to Fargo. I don't know Chuck Morell, but from everything I've heard and read about him, I would be excited if he is the guy!

Witt
01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aR8UucW2l8&feature=related

I meant to post this last night....here was the USF highlights from their game vs UND (2009)....you can see a little bit of the type and style of defense in the video here. Sorry, the quality isn't the greatest.

I still have no word that Morrell is going to UND.....certainly doesn't mean it couldn't happen....but I doubt it.

NDSUstudent
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aR8UucW2l8&feature=related

I meant to post this last night....here was the USF highlights from their game vs UND (2009)....you can see a little bit of the type and style of defense in the video here. Sorry, the quality isn't the greatest.

I still have no word that Morrell is going to UND.....certainly doesn't mean it couldn't happen....but I doubt it.

Of course he wouldn't, I mean what kind of person would ever want to go to UND and reside in Southern Canada.

Grizzled
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I have no doubt he is a great young coach and that could be what we need. I did notice however he runs a lot of 3 man front and looked like 4 linebackers or maybe a 3-5 that was referenced earlier. Don't know, it looked like a 3-4 from what I could see. Anyways, we tried bringing in a coach who knew the 3-4 and stuck with our 4-3. Either we make a switch in defenses or find a 4-3 coach. I'd like the idea of bringing him in to coach linebackers but don't know about DC.

Witt
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Morrell has been at USF for a long time now....and he used to run a 4-3 defense....and when he switched to a 3-4 approach (based on LB speed) USF then won 3 of the last 4 NAIA National Championships....and his defenses have been #1 at that level. His defenses in the 4-3 were good..but not #1 in the country kinda good. Certainly it's NAIA and not FCS..and I understand that....but his preparation (tireless, film) and the performance he's gotten from his guys....very much puts him in a spot to be a DC at an FCS school.

Since Chuck has left USF, I wish him the best....whether it's doing something else entirely..or possibly being the DC for NDSU. Heck, it would give me a sudden interest in the Bison..

BisManBison
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Morrell has been at USF for a long time now....and he used to run a 4-3 defense....and when he switched to a 3-4 approach (based on LB speed) USF then won 3 of the last 4 NAIA National Championships....and his defenses have been #1 at that level. His defenses in the 4-3 were good..but not #1 in the country kinda good. Certainly it's NAIA and not FCS..and I understand that....but his preparation (tireless, film) and the performance he's gotten from his guys....very much puts him in a spot to be a DC at an FCS school.

Since Chuck has left USF, I wish him the best....whether it's doing something else entirely..or possibly being the DC for NDSU. Heck, it would give me a sudden interest in the Bison..

That's the spirit!

NDSUFan_Sav
01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
A winning one!

Breske did the same elsewhere too and we were all excited for that....just saying.

IzzyFlexion
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Breske did the same elsewhere too and we were all excited for that....just saying.

Sidenote:
Sav.......what in the frick are doing up at 4 in the morning??!!

Bisonfan1
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Sidenote:

He is a dedicated college student, up studying, trying to make a good life for himself through education - TRANSLATION - Studying DAS BOOT !!

Bison Dan
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Sidenote:

Maybe he was just getting in?

Twentysix
01-13-2010, 12:46 PM
So any verdict yet?

tjbison
01-14-2010, 01:56 AM
So any verdict yet?

I have a feeling that they will not come from a NAIA, DIII or DII teams;)

NDSUFan_Sav
01-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Sidenote:

up til 4 was reading football recruiting stuff can you blame me?

NDSUFan_Sav
01-14-2010, 03:17 AM
He is a dedicated college student, up studying, trying to make a good life for himself through education - TRANSLATION - Studying DAS BOOT !!

and while studying DAS BOOOOT and figuring out the best way to drink from the Boot, was reading up on some bison recruiting....the quicker to football season the sooner we use DASSS BOOOT!

catsuperfan
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Pretty much confirmed now that Chuck Morrell DC from Sioux Falls is taking the year off to relax and find out what else is outside football. So you can take hoim or any other Sioux Falls coaches off the list.

westnodak93bison
01-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Pretty much confirmed now that Chuck Morrell DC from Sioux Falls is taking the year off to relax and find out what else is outside football. So you can take hoim or any other Sioux Falls coaches off the list.

or could it be shrewd negotiating?

NWNDBison
01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
or could it be shrewd negotiating?

Yes, minds change quickly when a lucrative offer is on the table. Taking the year off is an easy answer to get the media off your back. And may end up being true if nothing else works out.

westnodak93bison
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
What was Breske's salary compared to Chuck's?

Jdubs21
01-17-2010, 05:58 PM
im wondering when the hell we are going to hire some coaches!...spring ball isnt to far away

CarringtonBison
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
No inside information here, just a guess, but I bet we will hear by the end of the week. Just my gut feeling.

johnson
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I remember talking about Scott Frost coming in to interview last year at a ice fishing trip to Devils Lake. I think that was at the end of january last year. There is some time yet.

Da Bison
01-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Wade Phillips & the Dallas staff will probably be available after todays game. Jerry Jones didn't look happy.

EndZoneQB
01-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Wade Phillips & the Dallas staff will probably be available after todays game. Jerry Jones didn't look happy.

Nah, I disagree. I believe Phillips gets re-upped, not sure about his staff tho. Their team has improved, much like our team.

westnodak93bison
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Something better happen before signing day imho. We need a DC, LB coach and WR coach.

Bison"FANatic"
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
When they interviewed Bohl on Friday night at halftime of the basketball game, He said it would be happening real soon. So expect something early this week in my opinion.

Notorious
01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
When they interviewed Bohl on Friday night at halftime of the basketball game, He said it would be happening real soon. So expect something early this week in my opinion.

How is it possible that nobody knows anything? Lakes? Burgandy? BisonHusker??

westnodak93bison
01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I find it hard to believe that all candidates have been interviewed in secrecy.

tjbison
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
The NDSU Hiring freeze could be the potential hold up on this. If so looks like that will be over this month.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/266281/group/home/

Facts
01-19-2010, 02:34 AM
The NDSU Hiring freeze could be the potential hold up on this. If so looks like that will be over this month.

I'm pretty sure "the Hanson Brothers" said the hiring freeze wouldn't apply to finding coaches.

westnodak93bison
01-19-2010, 03:16 AM

oh god lets hope not. We really dont need administrators trying to "save" money on positions that pay for themselves.

sambini
01-19-2010, 03:59 AM
I find it hard to believe that all candidates have been interviewed in secrecy. Thats the way it is..

westnodak93bison
01-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Nothing yet? I'm waiting for the new "I got the text" topic by lakes. :D

GOB1SON
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
https://jobs.ndsu.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1264016603348

Posted on NDSU Jobs 1-12-10.

KTF
01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Just in case you were wondering what the posting says! :-)

Posting Details
Opening Number: 0100003
Position Title: Assistant Football Coach
Position Number: 00018871
FTE: 100%
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits Eligibility: Benefitted
Search by Group: Coaches
Department: Athletics
Position Description: North Dakota State University has an opening for one and possibly two Assistant Football Coaches.

Under the direction of the head coach, the assistant coach will assist in all phases of the program, including off-campus recruiting, assisting with practice and conditioning activities, skill development, film breakdown, film exchange, academic monitoring of student-athletes, public relations, adherence to rules compliance, participation in clinics and summer camps and professional expectations.
Minimum Qualifications: -Bachelor's degree.
-Coaching experience at the collegiate level.
-Strong background in football skill analysis and techniques.
-Thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
-Commitment to the academic success of student-athletes.
-Experience in motivating players and staff to achieve maximum levels of performance.
-Evidence of ability to interact positively with student-athletes, parents, colleagues and the public.
-Evidence of strong organizational skills.
-Demonstration of effective oral and written communication skills.
-Demonstrated professional behavior.
-Commitment to the philosophy of intercollegiate athletics at North Dakota State University.
Preferred Qualifications: -Evidence of successful participation as an athlete.
-Evidence of successful experience in coaching and recruiting football at a competitive intercollegiate level.
-Experience in conducting camps, clinics and tournaments.
Screening Date: Open Until Filled
Required Applicant Documents: Resume
Cover Letter
Unofficial Transcript 1
Special Instructions to Applicants: Screening will begin 01/20/10 and will remain open until filled.
Special Conditions:

Herd
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
I just watched the fire & ice video. I've always said "No, No", but I'm ready to bring Rocky back as the DC if he'd want the job. What a hell of a legacy that guy left at NDSU. Leaves me wondering what could have been if things would have been different in mid-90's. They say you can never go back, but why not?

Any chance that he would be considered for this job?

Twentysix
01-26-2010, 05:11 AM
The hiring freeze isnt really a hiring freeze, i mentioned it on another topic. Any position that previously existed is to be filled with no effect. Any new position being created "Must recieve permission" this permission is apparently extremely easy to get as my girlfriend works for bison connection and they have way overspent there budget, yet with a simple request they were able to create another fulltime position for a recent graduate.

The interm president is a monkey on strings, the hiring freeze is a political smokescreen and further justification for axing chapman parading a superficial deficit (Someone else said this, dont remeber who, but the current NDSU deficit is something like 105% of one days budget. Meaning if NDSU were to not operate and had no expenses (Say today, and didnt pay any employees either) They would almost be out of the hole).

-----
Copy and pasted my own handywork from a different thread cause i dont want to retype it.

JacksFan06
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
The Chosen One, USF head coach Kalen DeBoer resigned and is heading to Southern Illinois to be their offensive coordinator.

Thought this was pertinent to NDSU since their were early rumors of him leaving for NDSU to be the D-Coordinator.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100205/SPORTS/100205010/1002/sports

Gully
02-05-2010, 05:10 PM
The Chosen One, USF head coach Kalen DeBoer resigned and is heading to Southern Illinois to be their offensive coordinator.

Thought this was pertinent to NDSU since their were early rumors of him leaving for NDSU to be the D-Coordinator.

This makes more sense to me, I always thought it would be strange for him to become our defensive coordinator. Offensive coordinator makes more sense.

ndsubison1
02-07-2010, 07:39 AM

How dare they hire an NAIA coach! NAIA coaches dont deserve to be hired in an important position!!! (Kidding for those of you who dont speak sarcasm as a second language)

bisoningrandforks
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
From the scoop today....sources tell told them that S.Illinois T-end coach has accepted the wide receivers job at NDSU

bisoningrandforks
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry!....That would be Kenni Burns!

westnodak93bison
02-10-2010, 12:52 AM
He must have built a good working relationship with Fuchs?

ndsubison1
02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Sorry!....That would be Kenni Burns!

Sounds like a good get.

westnodak93bison
02-16-2010, 06:59 PM
So is Kenni officially a Bison coach?

Witt
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Hadn't seen this on here yet..my fault if it has..(I'm an NAIA person, so ran across this earlier)

http://naiafootball.collegefanz.com/article.php?articleID=11294

HandoEX
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Hadn't seen this on here yet..my fault if it has..(I'm an NAIA person, so ran across this earlier)

Brian Ward, former head coach from NAIA Macpherson College. Hmm, hope he is a winner and wants to be here instead of looking to catch his next ticket.

lakesbison
02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Should have some good info on KANSAS huh?

baseballfan7
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Brian Ward, former head coach from NAIA Macpherson College. Hmm, hope he is a winner and wants to be here instead of looking to catch his next ticket.

I wouldn't count on it. It looks like he has coached at several different schools and played at McPherson College. Looks like he may try to use this as another stepping stone.

Bison Dan
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't count on it. It looks like he has coached at several different schools and played at McPherson College. Looks like he may try to use this as another stepping stone.

These aren't life long jobs. If you could move up in the job market wouldn't you?

sambini
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
These aren't life long jobs. If you could move up in the job market wouldn't you? Right on Dan++

baseballfan7
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
These aren't life long jobs. If you could move up in the job market wouldn't you?

I completely agree with u. I was just saying that I don't think he would stay here for a long time if given a chance to move up.

Kermit
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Nice find and thanks for sharing!

Here is Ward's bio:
http://www.mcpherson.edu/news/index.asp?action=fullnews&id=1028

Most of his experience is on the defensive side of the ball. He's coached the secondary and special teams. He graduated from high school in Arizona--an area that is getting increased recruiting emphasis from the Bison.

JacksFan06
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Whenever a new assistant coach is brought in I always assume that there is a correlation that the current staff wants to either strengthen or expand their recruiting possibilities with the new hire's area.

I would assume that Ward's connections in Arizona and Nebraska were appealing to Coach Bohl and NDSU.

GOB1SON
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Nice find and thanks for sharing!

Here is McPherson's bio:
http://www.mcpherson.edu/news/index.asp?action=fullnews&id=1028

Most of his experience is on the defensive side of the ball. He's coached the secondary and special teams. He graduated from high school in Arizona--an area that is getting increased recruiting emphasis from the Bison.

He is a graduate of the University of Phoenix?

baseballfan7
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
He is a graduate of the University of Phoenix?

His bio states he got his Masters degree from there and is currently taking classes through them for his MBA.

GOB1SON
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
His bio states he got his Masters degree from there and is currently taking classes through them for his MBA.

No I read that. I understand.

I have never met anyone that actually has a degree there. At least that I know about.

Guess I am a snob.

baseballfan7
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
No I read that. I understand.

I have never met anyone that actually has a degree there. At least that I know about.

Guess I am a snob.

I don't think I know anyone personally that has a degree from there either, but I do remember earing that Shaq got his MBA from there.

EndZoneQB
02-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I think of the online universities, UoP is probably the best. It's certainly the largest, but I don't think its absolutely terrible.

Mr. Burgundy
02-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I think our WR coach from SIU is already on campus. I think he will really help with recruiting. There was alot of comments on SIU's board about how he was an important piece of their recruiting.

DORMIE
02-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Some of you dip shits have to move on. I know you're entitled to your opinion, but try and get positive once in your life. I know most of you have been coaching college football all your lives and have all the answers, but some of us hav'nt. Just try and find something positive with what Coach Bohl is doing. I realize what's happened recently isn't where we want to be, but I don't think he's happy with the results either. Even it I'm an old fart, I'm not going away.

NDSUstudent
02-24-2010, 03:32 AM
He was 9-2 last year as a head coach, he is going to be the secondary coach, sounds like a good hire to me.

NDSUstudent
02-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Kolpack weighs in....

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=71884

I know some will like this tidbit...

He also has experience as a special teams coordinator and we all know how special teams play has been at NDSU lately.

westnodak93bison
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Is Ward gonna coach the DB's?

Witt
02-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Ward took a school to the playoffs that hasn't been in recent history..from a very bad NAIA conference (KCAC)..and his team actually competed in their playoff game against MNU, down 21-20 at half....eventually losing 40-24 to a much better MNU team at their place. Frankly, I was impressed that they were winning their game for much of the first half....being a watchful eye during the NAIA playoffs. I've heard good things from others about this guy..looks like a decent pickup for you guys.

Kermit
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Is Ward gonna coach the DB's?

Yes.

10 characters.