PDA

View Full Version : Defense & Option Offense Wins FCS Title

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Villanova's fortunes changed in the 2nd half when they went to the option ground game, combined with the Wildcat. A tough, smart quarterback, a great running back, a super-strong defense, and the option won it. Rushing leader for the year? Their QB

Montana had absolutely no idea what to do with the option. Nova drove the Griz defense into the ground. The Griz offense hardly saw the field.

When Montana crept up with too many defenders...ah...over the top they went. It was actually quite beautiful to watch.

Never seen that before...:cool:

TransAmBison
12-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Villanova's fortunes changed in the 2nd half when they went to the option ground game, combined with the Wildcat. A tough, smart quarterback, a great running back, a super-strong defense, and the option won it. Rushing leader for the year? Their QB

Montana had absolutely no idea what to do with the option. Nova drove the Griz defense into the ground. The Griz offense hardly saw the field.

When Montana crept up with too many defenders...ah...over the top they went. It was actually quite beautiful to watch.

It must be a new concept. Tell me more about this..."option" offense. Does it really work? Must be a new fad.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 03:44 AM
It must be a new concept. Tell me more about this..."option" offense. Does it really work? Must be a new fad.

No point TransAmBison. It's too old-fashioned. Been there, done that...wouldn't ever work...athletes are too good now...much quicker...you know the routine. But yes...it's a new fad... ;)

Oh...alright. Quarterback gets the ball...QB runs toward sideline...QB decides to run or pitch...offense gains chunks of yards. Defense stands with hands on knees between plays gasping for air. And oh...a-gap run becomes lethal.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2009, 03:44 AM

Well, I ran it with my sixth and seventh grade teams a few years back. Seemed to work well then.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Well, I ran it with my sixth and seventh grade teams a few years back. Seemed to work well then.

Well there ya go! :D

HerdBot
12-19-2009, 04:09 AM

Heck, the Titans were running it with Vince Young and Johnson! It works and it is tougher than heck to prepare for if you don't see it.

Bisonfan1
12-19-2009, 04:16 AM

Ba Humbug, thank goodness the Bison never ran anything of the sort, or they probably would never had all those National Championships !

Bison_Backer
12-19-2009, 04:19 AM
All I want for Christmas is my split back veer.

NorthernBison
12-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Ed Schultz said the option is a great play but a poor offense. There you have it from the expert.

56BISON73
12-19-2009, 04:33 AM

Heeeeeeyyyy-------Since you are retired you could be the guy to get the Bison up to speed on this!!!!!

I can see the headlines now---

FAN COMES OUT OF STANDS TO GUIDE BISON TO VICTORY!!!

Im sure the pay and Benefits are negotiable.:D

I like where this is headed.

DIBISON
12-19-2009, 04:52 AM
I thought their wildcat was the difference. The kid that ran it was amazing and the difference in the game. I hope the Bison utilize Ryan Smith in the future at wildcat, his vision and speed will make a difference.

BlueBisonRock
12-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Heeeeeeyyyy-------Since you are retired you could be the guy to get the Bison up to speed on this!!!!!

Yeah, this could be fun. Have to implement the fan call of the game. On the first third and long, we would get the play called by one of the Section 21 faithful. Also would take the ball when winning the toss three times out of four and would get rid of that god awful put formation! :D

56BISON73
12-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Yeah, this could be fun. Have to implement the fan call of the game. On the first third and long, we would get the play called by one of the Section 21 faithful. Also would take the ball when winning the toss three times out of four and would get rid of that god awful put formation! :D

If you need an assistant I could come out of retirement also.:D
All that I would require is a room at the Super 8 and and a tab at Duanes House of Pizza.

Bisonfan1
12-19-2009, 05:31 AM
If you need an assistant I could come out of retirement also.:D
All that I would require is a room at the Super 8 and and a tab at Duanes House of Pizza.

Ill be the I will carry your headset cord guy, I may shout a few things in your ear though in case you are not up to be speed on this new "veer" "option" "wildcat" thing. I will only require a tab at the "Bison Friendly" OKELLY'S. :D

MontBison
12-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Maybe having a week non-conference schedule is the ticket you guys. I mean we could host playoff games and then get embarrassed every time we go on the road for an important game. MNGRIZ, WILLIE WHERE YOU AT, I TOLD YOU, YOU WOULDN'T WIN SH%^! BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!:bow:

EndZoneQB
12-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I thought their wildcat was the difference. The kid that ran it was amazing and the difference in the game. I hope the Bison utilize Ryan Smith in the future at wildcat, his vision and speed will make a difference.

They went to the Wildcat in almost every single short yardage situation and Montana could not stop it. Everytime it was 2nd/3rd and 1 or 2, he got the direct snap and ran it. Worked everytime.

ndsubison1
12-19-2009, 08:34 AM

maybe the rock (new nickname for bisonrock haha) can win a fan costest and he can run a play or two for us... hey the washington wizards are doing it in the nba!

IzzyFlexion
12-19-2009, 12:31 PM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/golf/04/13/tiger.comments/p1_tigerputt.jpg

I just don't understand why all of you silly nannies have to keep these Tiger Woods jokes at the forefront of all of these threads.
Oh......by the way, you spell PUTT with two "t"s.

BisoninNWMN
12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Villanova ran their version of the spread very well. Speed kills....and they had a lot of it on both sides of the ball.

That Szczur kid from Villanova was a complete stud......announcers said he will get drafted for baseball this spring.

Bisonfan1
12-19-2009, 02:32 PM
They went to the Wildcat in almost every single short yardage situation and Montana could not stop it. Everytime it was 2nd/3rd and 1 or 2, he got the direct snap and ran it. Worked everytime.

It did, and seemed to go off left tackle everytime.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 03:48 PM

It was a nice combination, IMO...but I thought that early in the 2nd half it was the option that opened things up. Then the wildcat, with the threat of the option, really took over. Add the improved passing by their QB, and the Griz were toast.

56BISON73
12-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Ill be the I will carry your headset cord guy, I may shout a few things in your ear though in case you are not up to be speed on this new "veer" "option" "wildcat" thing. I will only require a tab at the "Bison Friendly" OKELLY'S. :D

If I get hired then youre hired.:D

Kevin
12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
At this point I'd settle for any system where our marquee play isn't the "roll out pass to the fullback in the flat for 2 yards" fiasco.

TheBisonator
12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Villanova won the whole thing this year with a 3-3-5 defense. Does anyone think a 3-3-5 could work for NDSU??

Bisonguy
12-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Villanova won the whole thing this year with a 3-3-5 defense. Does anyone think a 3-3-5 could work for NDSU??

The team can barely muster enough DB talent to fill out the four spots in the Tampa-2. I don't see how adding another DB on the field that probably should be on the bench is going to be any better than the current scheme that isn't working.

56BISON73
12-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Not with the personnel that we have right now.

BisonNeil
12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Nova's 3-3-5 really impressed me in their win over W&M. It didn't do well with all the passing MT did in the first half, but they made some adjustments and they were swarming all over the field in the second half.

But I agree with PL, the current lack of DB talent would not bode well with this defense. If Willie Mack had spent more time watching film rather than taking the word of high school coaches, I suspect we would have better talent back there. But, thats ancient history.

Anybody catch the DIII champioship? Wisconsin-Whitewater beat Mount Union, both teams have been in the championship game the past five years. Whitewater's QB Donovan (6'5") and the WR Robinson (6'3") were studs, and WI natives. Definitely DIAA material in my estimation. The So RB Coppage had speed to burn (5'8", 180) and is from Oak Park, IL. Also DIAA material in my opinion. A great team.

CaBisonFan
12-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Against all of the wildcat/spread/whatever offenses, it makes sense. Cover the field with quick, athletic players. No doubt..ya gotta have the personnel.

X-Factor
12-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Nova's 3-3-5 really impressed me in their win over W&M. It didn't do well with all the passing MT did in the first half, but they made some adjustments and they were swarming all over the field in the second half.

But I agree with PL, the current lack of DB talent would not bode well with this defense. If Willie Mack had spent more time watching film rather than taking the word of high school coaches, I suspect we would have better talent back there. But, thats ancient history.

Anybody catch the DIII champioship? Wisconsin-Whitewater beat Mount Union, both teams have been in the championship game the past five years. Whitewater's QB Donovan (6'5") and the WR Robinson (6'3") were studs, and WI natives. Definitely DIAA material in my estimation. The So RB Coppage had speed to burn (5'8", 180) and is from Oak Park, IL. Also DIAA material in my opinion. A great team.

What might keep those guys from being able to play on a Division 1 team is academics.

56BISON73
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
What might keep those guys from being able to play on a Division 1 team is academics.

That could be true. But more than likely they were passed over and they developed under good coaching. Also many of the lower division schools are big on academics.

overquota
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Yes,
Our best personnel have been our linebackers and safeties. Depending upon the team and anticipate run/pass selection. Personnel could be shifted between DBs, Safeties and LBs.

CaBisonFan
12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes,
Our best personnel have been our linebackers and safeties. Depending upon the team and anticipate run/pass selection. Personnel could be shifted between DBs, Safeties and LBs.

With all of the Wildcat/spread/dink pass offenses...I can see why this defense could work. Quickness, intelligence, & great coaching is needed.