PDA

View Full Version : All-Decade Team

NDSUstudent
12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Who would make up your All-Decade team? Good luck deciding between Steffes, Roehl, Paschall, and Gordon at RB...Here is mine....

QB-Steve Walker
RB-Tyler Roehl
FB-Tyler Jangula
TE-AJ Cooper
WR-Kole Heckendorf
WR-Travis White
OL-Nate Safe
OL-Tim Popowski
OL-Jake Erickson
OL-Keith Buckman
C-Rob Hunt

DL-Joe Lardinois
DL-Justin Frick
DL-Leif Murphy
DL-Mathew Gratzek
LB-Ramon Humber
LB-Joe Mays
LB-Mike Maresh
DB-Craig Dahl
DB-Nick Schommer
DB-Jared Essler
DB-Matt Gorman

K-Aaron Pederson
P-Mike Dragosavich
RS-Shamen Washington

Player of the Decade- Steve Walker

A1pigskin
12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Seems reasonable. Any player that makes it to the NFL should be listed.

Player of the decade: Steve Walker or Joe Mayes.

aces1180
12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Who would make up your All-Decade team? Good luck deciding between Steffes, Roehl, Paschall, and Gordon at RB...Here is mine....

QB-Steve Walker
RB-Tyler Roehl
FB-Tyler Jangula
TE-AJ Cooper
WR-Kole Heckendorf
WR-Travis White
OL-Nate Safe
OL-Tim Popowski
OL-Jake Erickson
OL-Keith Buckman
C-Rob Hunt

DL-Joe Lardinois
DL-Justin Frick
DL-Leif Murphy
DL-Mathew Gratzek
LB-Ramon Humber
LB-Joe Mays
LB-Mike Maresh
DB-Craig Dahl
DB-Nick Schommer
DB-Jared Essler
DB-Matt Gorman

K-Aaron Pederson
P-Mike Dragosavich
RS-Shamen Washington

This is pretty good...I would put Wurzbacher in at TE, Lamar in at RB and maybe Richard Lewis at RS, but otherwise, I agree with everything else.

onbison09
12-18-2009, 06:44 PM

QB-Steve Walker
RB-Tyler Roehl
FB-Tyler Jangula
TE-AJ Cooper
WR-Kole Heckendorf
WR-Travis White
OL-Nate Safe
OL-Tim Popowski
OL-Jake Erickson
OL-Keith Buckman
C-Rob Hunt

DL-Joe Lardinois
DL-Justin Frick
DL-Leif Murphy
DL-Mathew Gratzek
LB-Ramon Humber
LB-Joe Mays
LB-Mike Maresh
DB-Craig Dahl
DB-Nick Schommer
DB-Bobby Babich
DB-Matt Gorman

K-Aaron Pederson
P-Mike Dragosavich
RS-Shamen Washington

Agreed with them all except one omission. :D

17>1
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Would have to agree with throwing Wurzbacher in there as TE, but the version of him as a Jr. Also, give me Shamen as a freshman and he's probably the most electrifying returner I've ever seen for the Bison. Kinda stumped on the RB 'cause Tyler was amazing as a healthy Jr. but had an injury plagued year as a Sr. and Pat just had an incredible year with All American honors so...

NDSUstudent
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
We have three RBs that all had amazing individual seasons...Gordon in 2000, Roehl in 2007, and Paschall in 2009.

That said, Gordon's 2001 season was an epic disappointment, from his injuries to his run in with the law. Roehl had injury issues in 2008, but still managed to get over 1,000 yards and 13 TDs. Paschall had one great year, but it isn't as great as Gordon in 2000 or Roehl in 2007 statistically, but it was impressive considering how terrible we were.

Meanwhile all Steffes did was produce, he is the Emmit Smith of NDSU running backs. Just solid game after game for his entire career.

Like I said good luck choosing one, we have been spoiled with great backs in the 2000s.

Gully
12-18-2009, 08:45 PM

QB-Steve Walker
RB-Tyler Roehl
FB-Tyler Jangula
TE-AJ Cooper
WR-Kole Heckendorf
WR-Travis White
OL-Nate Safe
OL-Tim Popowski
OL-Jake Erickson
OL-Keith Buckman
C-Rob Hunt

DL-Joe Lardinois
DL-Justin Frick
DL-Leif Murphy
DL-Mathew Gratzek
LB-Ramon Humber
LB-Joe Mays
LB-Mike Maresh
DB-Craig Dahl
DB-Nick Schommer
DB-Jared Essler
DB-Matt Gorman

K-Aaron Pederson
P-Mike Dragosavich
RS-Shamen Washington

Wouldn't that be one hell of a team!

Castor Troy
12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
This is pretty good...I would put Wurzbacher in at TE, Lamar in at RB and maybe Richard Lewis at RS, but otherwise, I agree with everything else.

I would agree with these changes. IMHO Lamar was the best running back in the history of Bison football and isn't even close. Bringing up Steffes in the conversation reminds me of this little discussion:

Saul: Vait a minute. Vat about Rocky Marciano?
Clarence: Oh, there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't shit.

This is not a black or white issue, but I think that we give Steffes credit for being "one of us" which is a kid from the area.

Grizzled
12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Here are a few I would change.

Mike Shepperd over Gorman.
Chuck Klabo over Popowski
There was a DE from the early 00's don't know his first name but Ware was his last name. He'd be over Joe.

One thing for sure is we have been very fortunate as Bison fans. There is some awesome names on there who have all contributed to the program in so many ways. To all you guys that still read this whether your name is on here or not, Thank You.

lcbison
12-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Here are a few I would change.

Mike Shepperd over Gorman.
Chuck Klabo over Popowski
There was a DE from the early 00's don't know his first name but Ware was his last name. He'd be over Joe.

One thing for sure is we have been very fortunate as Bison fans. There is some awesome names on there who have all contributed to the program in so many ways. To all you guys that still read this whether your name is on here or not, Thank You.

You must have missed the game where Gorman shut down Vincent Jackson

BlueBisonRock
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I would agree with these changes. IMHO Lamar was the best running back in the history of Bison football and isn't even close. Bringing up Steffes in the conversation reminds me of this little discussion:

Saul: Vait a minute. Vat about Rocky Marciano?
Clarence: Oh, there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't shit.

This is not a black or white issue, but I think that we give Steffes credit for being "one of us" which is a kid from the area.

Personally, I thought Rocky Marciano was one hell of a boxer as was Joe Lewis. Marciano's record was 49-0 (43 by KO) while Lewis was 65-3 (51 by KO). Lewis had his last fight on October 26, 1951 at 37 years of age when he lost by KO to Marciano who was then 27. (It is said that Lewis was too old for the ring and that he would have been the victor in his prime.) So much for the notion that Marciano ain't shit when compared to Lewis.

Unfortunately, I find this kind of comment to be crap. Head to head, Marciano did the job. And BOTH were outstanding heavyweights! Picking Lewis shows Clarence's biases and subjectivity.

Back to the running back question. Through the years, the Bison have had many outstanding runningbacks. This discussion has been had on Bisonville previously. Each of these backs depended on a strong supporting cast for their success. Arguing which was the best of this decade is difficult enough. Asserting that a particular back was the best all time (well over 100 years) is near impossible. Personally, I am glad that the Bison can reload at this position and have continued success.

TateMosersneighbor
12-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I like this thread...should we start one for each of the decades starting in the 60's?

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
No real arguments...but Kyle Steffes & Pat Paschall should be on the running back 'committee.'

Nice thread.

Grizzled
12-19-2009, 12:58 AM
You must have missed the game where Gorman shut down Vincent Jackson

I was there. You must have missed the hits Shepperd used to lay on people. The guy used to be a presence back there. Basically another linebacker who was solid in pass coverage. Just my opinion.

CaBisonFan
12-19-2009, 01:41 AM
I would agree with these changes. IMHO Lamar was the best running back in the history of Bison football and isn't even close.

Ya...Lamar was damn good compared ta Chad Stark, Tony Satter, Kyle Steffes, Pat Paschall, Tyler Roehl, Ken Rhoda (spelling), and all of dem der guyss. But ya know...Kyle, he vas just a good guy from Nortakoda. He vas just good 'cause ve tot he vas good.' Dats all boys. I remember in da Montana game ven der defense fell down ven Kyle had da ball. Minnessooooota toooo. Dey just fell down...don't ya no?

I left off udders two. Did ya ever watch Chad Stark 'live?' How 'bout Ken? How 'bout Tony? Oh ya den...how 'bout Doug Lloyd?.... LOL

Dey vas all grate. Brot home some trophhies too...:nod:

Bison bison
12-19-2009, 02:15 AM

WTF are you talking about? They are all Bison.

TateMosersneighbor
12-19-2009, 02:30 AM
Reggie Scott could've been something...

Castor Troy
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
WTF are you talking about? They are all Bison.

Since I referenced a conversation that was based on racism, I wanted to clarify that I was not going down that road. Yes they are all Bison and ranking the best of them is fun to do. It is my opinion that Kyle is top 5 in Bison history and is a distant second to Lamar this decade.

Herd
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
RB's, my order:

Gordon, Steffes, Roehl, Paschall

Gordon between the Tackles was a nightmare for defenses. Another year like his senior season and Paschall would move up the list. Paschall will go the furthest at the next level, I can feel it. Steffes did it for 3 years. Roehl seemed to fade his senior year due to injury, but man it was fun to watch him run over defenses. Gotta love them all.

Herd
12-19-2009, 11:56 AM
DL: For a couple of two year players, Dwight Summerville and Alvin Robinson had a big impact on the D Line. . . a couple of my favorites. Summerville was a beast.

Herd
12-19-2009, 12:07 PM
When you talk about best RB's ever, you can look at it two ways:

(1) You can look at their accomplishments on the team that they were on and the decade they played in (or) (2) You can take them all and put them on the same team and compare them on a more equal basis.

The way I look at it (method 2), who is the best player if I put them all on the 1986 or 2009 team. I'd take any of these guys . . . Stark, Lloyd, Satter, Gordon, Paschall.

I'm not sure that Gordon or Paschall would be a good in the option offense as Stark, Lloyd or Satter. But I'm not sure that those three would be a good as Gordon or Paschall run between the tackles in a pro-style offense. 5 good ones. I could have played with Bennie and looked good in 86.

02Bison
12-19-2009, 12:30 PM
What about Pete Campion? Or Chuck Klabo?

QB-Steve Walker
RB-Tyler Roehl
FB-Tyler Jangula
TE-AJ Cooper
WR-Kole Heckendorf
WR-Travis White
OL-Nate Safe
OL-Tim Popowski
OL-Jake Erickson
OL-Keith Buckman
C-Rob Hunt

DL-Joe Lardinois
DL-Justin Frick
DL-Leif Murphy
DL-Mathew Gratzek
LB-Ramon Humber
LB-Joe Mays
LB-Mike Maresh
DB-Craig Dahl
DB-Nick Schommer
DB-Jared Essler
DB-Matt Gorman

K-Aaron Pederson
P-Mike Dragosavich
RS-Shamen Washington

stevdock
12-19-2009, 11:47 PM
For RB this DECADE, I would take the RB that did the most this decade. Gordon, while I think he was NDSU's best RB, only had one healthy year in the decade. Same with Roehl. If PP would have gotten more touches the previous years he would be closer to the top. Steffes has to be the RB of the decade. He was a 3? year starter and was on the team that pulled one of the biggest upsets in the history of NDSU football (Montana) and almost another (Minnesota 1st time around). The Emmitt Smith comparison is very good. Nothing flashy just gets the job done, and done so well you just keep feeding him the ball.

unbison
12-20-2009, 12:46 AM
It has to be PP he is a consensus all FCS running back on a bad team how good could he have been on a good team?

westnodak93bison
12-20-2009, 01:01 AM
It has to be PP he is a consensus all FCS running back on a bad team how good could he have been on a good team?

bad team yes, but one of the best OL in Bison history imho.

unbison
12-20-2009, 01:11 AM
bad team yes, but one of the best OL in Bison history imho.
well we will have to agree to disagree...... I seem to remember walker having a lot more time back there than any of our qbs had this year

westnodak93bison
12-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Well maybe you are right but it sure seemed to me that the QBs werent exactly stellar and the WRs were subpar as a group. I will say there appears to be potential in both groups however.

CaBisonFan
12-20-2009, 07:07 AM
well we will have to agree to disagree...... I seem to remember walker having a lot more time back there than any of our qbs had this year

No argument...but Walker also had a way of keeping the D off-balance. Pump-fakes...audibles...movement in and out of the pocket...etc. I think that an offensive line responds to the leadership of the QB...and they have a clue as to what's going to happen.

TheDoctor
12-20-2009, 07:22 AM
LG was the best running back hands down. ;)

CaBisonFan
12-20-2009, 07:36 AM
LG was the best running back hands down. ;)

I'll say it again...did you get to see Chad Stark, Tony Satter, Ken Rhoda, Doug Lloyd or any of those guys play 'in person?'

As far as NFL-good...of course...Lamar.

Running back used to be by 'committee' in the dynasty years. Lamar played mostly in a one-back...30-40 carries style of offense. Nothing against Lamar at all. What I've seen of him is awesome...but we've had many. I'd put him in the upper-echelon. That is a 'high' compliment.

I totally respect your opinion...but I have trouble separating these great players. At the college level...the guys that I mentioned were incredible...and they led their teams to the top. Chad Stark was a legit. NFL prospect who had a severe career-ending injury with the Dolphins. He would have played.

Castor Troy
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I'll say it again...did you get to see Chad Stark, Tony Satter, Ken Rhoda, Doug Lloyd or any of those guys play 'in person?'

Running back used to be by 'committee' in the dynasty years. Lamar played mostly in a one-back...30-40 carries style of offense. Nothing against Lamar at all. What I've seen of him is awesome...but we've had many. I'd put him in the upper-echelon. That is a 'high' compliment.

I totally respect your opinion...but I have trouble separating these great players. At the college level...the guys that I mentioned were incredible...and they led their teams to the top. Chad Stark was a legit. NFL prospect who had a severe career-ending injury with the Dolphins. He would have played.

We are all biased based on the players that we have actually seen play and that makes perfect sense. But you must take into consideration the one that have had success at the college and pro level. Lamar had amazing numbers in college, was drafted high in the NFL, and was a servicable back for 5 years who also suffered a bad injury. The others that you have mentioned have not accomplished these things. Period.

We all have our biases. I spoke with Ross Manson and asked him who was the better point guard, Woody or Craig Aamodt. He said, "Well, I gotta go with my teammate, Craig." Would anyone here on this board make an argument for Craig Aamodt over Woody?

EndZoneQB
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM

No, he really didn't. DeShawn Perkins was extremely talented at the same time. I'm fairly certain they both led the NCC in rushing one or two years...that doesn't sound like a one-back offense. When Gordon was having an off day, Perkins would pick up the slack. It was far from a one-back offense...and we had a few other backs that also got some run. Sure there were games Gordon got 25 carries, but it's stupid not to give a talented back like him the ball as much as possible. At any point he could change the game.

TheDoctor
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM

I meant of the decade 2000-2010. Stark played from 1983-1986. I agree that it is hard to separate all the great NDSU running backs, but IMO LG was hands down the best of the decade. ;)

99Bison
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Um, this thread is title all decade not all time...

TheDoctor
12-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Um, this thread is title all decade not all time...

Thanks! :D ;)

WRSDBison
12-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Only 1 corner? Who's gonna get thrown at the other corner position out of those 3 safeties you listed?

NDSUstudent
12-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Only 1 corner? Who's gonna get thrown at the other corner position out of those 3 safeties you listed?

I thought about it, but there just wasn't a clear cut choice so I went with Essler. He would also be my pick to play corner, his first two starts at NDSU were at corner.

westnodak93bison
12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd take John Richardson at corner.

TheDoctor
12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd take John Richardson at corner.

Ah, J Rich, I'll second that one. ;)

Dabison
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
DL: For a couple of two year players, Dwight Summerville and Alvin Robinson had a big impact on the D Line. . . a couple of my favorites. Summerville was a beast.

This is Hillarious!!! Dwight Summerville?

SDbison
12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
All of you......livin in the past......still.
I get criticized all the time for being a broken record, but how many times do we have to revist Lamar, etc.,etc, etc.
Plenty of topics relevant to the future.

westnodak93bison
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
ok start a topic about the future

Tatanka
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu343/cinterpolny/conan.jpg

In the Year 2000, the Bison will....

oh, wait. Sorry about that. :blush:

WRSDBison
12-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Travis is his first name I do believe