PDA

View Full Version : MVFC, FBS, Facilities, Attitude, & Other

CaBisonFan
12-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Questions like this come to mind when the topic of playoff success in the MVFC comes up.

1. How many championships has the conference (or some form of it) won?

2. What happened to an outstanding team like SIU this year?

3. Does the conference beat each other up during the year, kinda like the old Big Ten?

4. Is it advantageous to be in a conference like the MVFC...or is it better to be in a weaker conference and dominate it.

The discussion about the FBS is intriguing. Probably not in my lifetime...but Fargo is an FBS-caliber city. Like others have written...it 'could' happen in 15-20 years. And I apologize for writing this again...but Bison football needs to get outside again...10 years ago. After watching the Montana/App St. game...well. Atmosphere...my friends. You could cut it with a knife. Both teams have it at their home. They play like it.

It reminded me of old Bison playoff games. Attitude...the elements...toughness. It rubs off on the fans...and vice versa. I give no names, but I've discussed this with 3 different players that are members here. The concensus? They hate the dome. One of them played at Dacotah Field & and in the dome. He said that the student section at Dacotah Field was sorely missed. It was very loud. And just the general atmosphere felt dull compared to Dacotah. One guy said he rarely comes to games because he hates the dome.

I don't want NDSU in the Big Ten. It's a dead-end...Big-Three conference...with teams that live to finish in the middle of the pack and to get 6 wins...'toilet bowl' stuff.

5. Why leave the FCS when we haven't really done much yet? I don't know the answers...but something about the MVFC bothers me. Think I've mentioned the reasons mostly. The auto-bid is over-rated...IMO. Have a good team...yir in the playoffs. The Great West was better for us. Style of play...and other things.

It's about the caliber of play. Build a program that can play with anyone...like App. State has done. That's the answer.

I just wanna see damn good football...and I'd give anything to see the Bison beating up on teams in an atmosphere like Montana had. For buckets...hang a beautiful curtain in the dome...buy portable bleachers with permanent seating on them for one side, and use the FD for Bison basketball. It would get them ready for Big Dance arenas/domes. Depth perception issues hurt some of our shooting in Minneapolis. Could even hang curtains to seal off the upper deck to make the room seem more like a basketball arena. It would be fabulous.

I really believe that Bison basketball could (and will) eventually be a 12 thousand person event someday...or bigger. Saw it at Frost Arena in Brookings several times while living there. Not 12K...but somewhere around 10K. We could become a Gonzaga. Seal off the upper decks. Get a great scoreboard specifically for basketball to lower down. For huge games...open things up. Lure in a huge program and fill the dome. 20K plus. You know...Kansas...UCLA...Duke...North Carolina...etc. Not possible? Wrong

It really is an 'if you build it' scenario for football. The dome has...and is...hurting us. People write about 'no home playoff' in the dome. There are reasons...and the dome is one of them. It is a sterile, dark tunnel...with a strange seating configuration for football. The VIP section is booooring. They need to get cold...damn cold. They deserve it. Maybe standing up and going nuts would feel good.

Don't like the length of this thread? Don't read it. It's a simple concept. Don't like the repetition from other threads? Ask me if I care. Not in the slightest. Wanna just be a 'been there done that' naysayer? It's a free forum...but that's really, really boring. Wanna discuss options and potential...then write.

BisoninNWMN
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
MVFC is the "right" fit for us, not the Great West. It is a tough, hard-nose football conference with teams in our region.

You might be right about the "outdoor" element with the FB program but NDSU will never be a team with 10-12K fans in the seats team...consistently for BB.

NDSU FB is right where it needs to be.

tjbison
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
MVFC is the "right" fit for us, not the Great West. It is a tough, hard-nose football conference with teams in our region.

You might be right about the "outdoor" element with the FB program but NDSU will never be a team with 10-12K fans in the seats team...consistently for BB.

NDSU FB is right where it needs to be.

Agreed, The MVFC is FAR better for a conferene than the BSC or the GWC. Sure we would have had some GREAT games in the BSC but man Travel would have been brutal with the 3 different time zones. MVFC is a much better fit!

ILBISON
12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
blah-blah-blah-blah cabison. ndsu needs to move onward and upward, fcs is for small timers.

A1pigskin
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
MVFC is where we need to be. We just have to play better.

TransAmBison
12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
MVFC is where we need to be. We just have to play better.
This......

duluthbison
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
blah-blah-blah-blah cabison. ndsu needs to move onward and upward, fcs is for small timers.

How can you say that when NDSU hasn't really spent ANY time at the FCS level in the MVFC or accomplished anything at this level for that matter? Maybe we could move up in the distant future but why talk about something that will not happen probably for a long, long time? Beating teams like Minnesota were a fluke, the truth is that NDSU needs to step up their competition level if they ever want to step up to the big times in FBS.

I like where our football team is right now, we have a great conference. All we need to work on is some recruiting and some coaching but that is for another thread:D

NDSUstudent
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
If opportunity knocks and the WAC wants to bring us in I am all for it but until then the MVFC is fine. It is much better than the Great West and slightly better than the Big Sky. My problem is more with the Summit.

Beating Minnesota was no fluke, this past season was the fluke....

duluthbison
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
If opportunity knocks and the WAC wants to bring us in I am all for it but until then the MVFC is fine. It is much better than the Great West and slightly better than the Big Sky. My problem is more with the Summit.

Beating Minnesota was no fluke, this past season was the fluke....

In all reality, we beat Minnesota during one of their worst seasons in a long time, but then again its just my opinion ;)

And yes, this past season for us is no different, having our 1st losing season in how many decades is a rare occurrence.

NDSUstudent
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
In all reality, we beat Minnesota during one of their worst seasons in a long time, but then again its just my opinion ;)

And yes, this past season for us is no different, having our 1st losing season in how many decades is a rare occurrence.

We did beat Central Michigan the MAC champ by 30 points that year, of course the year prior we lost to a bowl bound Minnesota team on a blocked field goal. It was no fluke, Minnesota was lucky the score didn't show how bad they were truly dominated.

Even in this crappy season we gave a bowl bound Iowa State team a pretty good fight. We can compete with FBS schools and that is something I hope continues to be ingrained in the program. The last thing I want to be is like many of the other FCS teams that go on the road to play an FBS with mindset of just being happy to get a check.

tjbison
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Years not Decades:hide:

Remember before Bohl??

duluthbison
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Years not Decades:hide:

Remember before Bohl??

I meant to put that....guess it was a typo:blush:

tjbison
12-18-2009, 03:59 AM
I meant to put that....guess it was a typo:blush:

we can let it slide this time i guess:ranting:

:D

TheBisonator
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
What I fear the most:

NDSU football falls back into the third-highest level of college football due to whatever circumstances (bad president, success against watered-down competition, money problems, etc.)

NDSU at the VERY LEAST, as descriptive of the size and mission of the institution, belongs in the second-highest level of college football. At the very LEAST. A little improvement and we could be in the top level.

In the 1980's we BELONGED in I-AA. WE BELONGED THERE. WE DID NOT BELONG IN D2. And those teams I believe were good enough to hoist a bunch of I-AA banners in the 80's as well, so don't construe this as my thinking the team sucked those days.

Facts
12-20-2009, 02:21 AM
I just wanna see damn good football...and I'd give anything to see the Bison beating up on teams in an atmosphere like Montana had. For buckets...hang a beautiful curtain in the dome...buy portable bleachers with permanent seating on them for one side, and use the FD for Bison basketball. It would get them ready for Big Dance arenas/domes. Depth perception issues hurt some of our shooting in Minneapolis. Could even hang curtains to seal off the upper deck to make the room seem more like a basketball arena. It would be fabulous.

I really believe that Bison basketball could (and will) eventually be a 12 thousand person event someday...or bigger. Saw it at Frost Arena in Brookings several times while living there. Not 12K...but somewhere around 10K. We could become a Gonzaga. Seal off the upper decks. Get a great scoreboard specifically for basketball to lower down. For huge games...open things up. Lure in a huge program and fill the dome. 20K plus. You know...Kansas...UCLA...Duke...North Carolina...etc. Not possible? Wrong

I agree, the dome is a better venue than the BSA for basketball, but... it has upper decks?

CaBisonFan
12-20-2009, 04:38 AM
I agree, the dome is a better venue than the BSA for basketball, but... it has upper decks?

Meant 'upper levels.' Maybe they're not that high. Good point.

My point was to seal them off until they're needed, so that the crowd doesn't spread up into the high areas. When the presale is huge, then open those.

pantherhawkrolling
12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I can't speak to attitude or to if NDSU should play their games outside. But the jump to FBS is tricky. Good luck getting into the Big 10; they are looking for programs like Notre Dame; they don't even want to consider teams like Rutgers. Even if you had the numbers to get into a BCS conference, Big 10 snobbery would not allow it. The more likely scenario would be independent or small-league conference status; something like Idaho or Western Kentucky. Man, Western Kentucky won a lot of games and a national title on the FCS level, now look at them. There about 4 or 5 cautionary tales for every Boise State. On my side of the fence, I absolutely do not want UNI to make the jump; I think it would be catastrophic.

westnodak93bison
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I can't speak to attitude or to if NDSU should play their games outside. But the jump to FBS is tricky. Good luck getting into the Big 10; they are looking for programs like Notre Dame; they don't even want to consider teams like Rutgers. Even if you had the numbers to get into a BCS conference, Big 10 snobbery would not allow it. The more likely scenario would be independent or small-league conference status; something like Idaho or Western Kentucky. Man, Western Kentucky won a lot of games and a national title on the FCS level, now look at them. There about 4 or 5 cautionary tales for every Boise State. On my side of the fence, I absolutely do not want UNI to make the jump; I think it would be catastrophic.

Has there been any more talk about the UNI Football program being cut? Not too long ago some higher ed guy in IA suggested cutting the program?

CaBisonFan
12-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I would agree that three FBS programs in Iowa wouldn't make sense at all. I think that North Dakota could support one someday. As for the Big Ten...hell, they can't even count...so why would we wanna join their conference?...:D

Don't like that conference anyway. I'd go for the WAC. Not so sure about the MAC. It's not high-profile enough to make it worth moving.

IndyBison
12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I would agree that three FBS programs in Iowa wouldn't make sense at all. I think that North Dakota could support one someday. As for the Big Ten...hell, they can't even count...so why would we wanna join their conference?...:D

Don't like that conference anyway. I'd go for the WAC. Not so sure about the MAC. It's not high-profile enough to make it worth moving.

I think the WAC and MAC are on a similar level. You think the WAC is higher profile because of where you live. The MAC is fairly highly respected in the Ohio-Indiana-Michigan area and we hear very little about the WAC.

stevdock
12-21-2009, 02:45 AM
I think the WAC and MAC are on a similar level. You think the WAC is higher profile because of where you live. The MAC is fairly highly respected in the Ohio-Indiana-Michigan area and we hear very little about the WAC.

Bottom line though both of those conferences don't count so what is the point in moving up??????? If you are not in a power conference you have no chance at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, which is the only reason to play the game. Don't give me any crap about we need national exposure, that just makes me want to barf I've heard so much of that.

NDSUstudent
12-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Bottom line though both of those conferences don't count so what is the point in moving up??????? If you are not in a power conference you have no chance at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, which is the only reason to play the game. Don't give me any crap about we need national exposure, that just makes me want to barf I've heard so much of that.

Basketball, volleyball, softball, track, and I could on and on benefit from the WAC. Plus there are 5 or 6 land grant schools in that conference.

That said the MAC is worthless, stay away NDSU, stay a long ways away.

tony
12-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Basketball, volleyball, softball, track, and I could on and on benefit from the WAC. Plus there are 5 or 6 land grant schools in that conference.

That said the MAC is worthless, stay away NDSU, stay a long ways away.

Well, one thing the MAC has over the WAC: better time zone.

NDSUstudent
12-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Well, one thing the MAC has over the WAC: better time zone.

I guess they have that, but really I don't see the MAC and NDSU crossing paths anytime soon. That conference has a tight footprint and a lot of teams. I think they would probably try to poach on MVC school if they wanted to expand.

The spread out WAC, with 5 land grants in its membership, might give NDSU a look someday.

umdbulldogs
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;337962]Questions like this come to mind when the topic of playoff success in the MVFC comes up.

QUOTE]

this is cute...ndsu pulling 12k for bball would put them near the top 25 attendance in the nation. there are major conf schools having a tough time pulling 12k and ndsu will do it if there in the fargodome? c'mon! i would love to see it, it's just not realistic.

ndsu will have a problem becoming an fbs until they tear down the bsa, build a new football stadium, and come up with at least a local television contract.

i hear a lot try to say ndsu could be the next boise/gonzaga etc. well i believe the border states to idaho are wash, oregon, nevada, and cali isnt far from there either. so thier recruiting base is pretty massive compared to the likes of ndsu/und/sdsu etc etc. they have a better recruiting area then minny/wisky/iowa. i personally dont want ndsu to bump up to fbs, i dont think they can be successful. i think they could eventually be a power in fcs and get championship or 2. there just isnt a recruiting base to be successful in the dakotas at the fbs level. this coming from a guy who "hates" ndsu!

steelbison
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM

Agree!! 110%:nod:

IndyBison
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Indiana State may finally be getting a stadium close to campus

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091221/NEWS04/91221005/-1/NLETTER07?source=nletter-news

CaBisonFan
12-21-2009, 09:46 PM
The WAC has a longer history of success in basketball and football. It's not about exposure. It's about the potential to actually be recognized as a 'power' team if you're on top. NCAA tournament seedings...bowl considerations, etc.

Arizona State is where I went to grad. school. I became a big fan while I was there. The Sun Devils won the national championship while playing in the WAC. BYU has done it too. Boise State has broken into the BCS in the WAC...after having been a 2-year college, a virtual doormat in DII, and a decent program in DI-AA. Yes...they are probably the exception to the rule of 'success' in making the big jump...but NDSU is exceptional...IMO...as is the FM area and the regions that support it.

I don't see any real advantage in ever going to the MAC. I don't see a move to the Big 10 or the PAC-10...ever. They won't want us. Not sure we'd want them.

I could see the MVFC melding with the other Missouri Valley Conference in all sports someday...and a possible move up to the FBS. That would be in the 'distant' future...quite distant...if ever. It would be just as good as the MAC...if not better. I realize that a conference move like this would be very, very difficult...so it's not likely.

The FBS will eventually move into a playoff system of some kind...I think. Then a move would make more sense.

I'm on the 'let's get into the playoffs' wagon as much as any Bison fan. That's the goal now. We need to become dominant again. I'd take a team of the 2006 or 2007 caliber again...sooner the better.

All of this is just 'talk' right now...and opinions...but kind of fun...:nod:

Bison bison
12-21-2009, 11:33 PM
We have one peer in the MVFC: SDSU.

We have five in the WAC: New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, and Hawaii.

With a little 'turmoil', NDSU, SDSU, Davis, and Montana State would be perfect additions.

TheBisonator
12-21-2009, 11:37 PM
We have one peer in the MVFC: SDSU.

We have five in the WAC: New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, and Hawaii.

With a little 'turmoil', NDSU, SDSU, Davis, and Montana State would be perfect additions.

Don't forget the Griz.;)

JacksFan06
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
To be honest, I highly doubt that SDSU has any intentions of moving up to FBS. At least not for a good 10-20 years.
I think they are more concerned in creating success at this level before thinking about raising extra funds for more scholarships and bigger/better facilities.

Bison bison
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I should add that I don't know if NDSU moves up so much as Division I changes...

JacksFan06
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I should add that I don't know if NDSU moves up so much as Division I changes...

You have to be kidding yourself if you believe that moving from FCS to FBS isn't a move up. Both have the label of DI, but FBS is a step up in every facet.

Bison bison
12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
You have to be kidding yourself if you believe that moving from FCS to FBS isn't a move up. Both have the label of DI, but FBS is a step up in every facet.

that's not at all what I meant.

After the 'freeze', there may be some major changes to Division I, especially as they affect FBS schools and the BCS. Not quite sure what form it would take, but certain schools: Utah State, New Mexico State, and Idaho might finally take the hint (or better yet, have to).

I don't want to see NDSU go FBS for the sake of being FBS. I want NDSU to be in conference with its peers.

IndyBison
12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Several years ago I talked to a friend at the NCAA and he said he wouldn't be surprised to see a level created between D1 and D2 and comprised of the schools that are typically in the FCS level. Too many schools have been trying to jump up to D1 for the financial benefit (lots of sharing of money that don't exist at the D2 level) and the number of schools jumping from NAIA to D2. If something like that happened, I'm sure there would be some movement of FBS-schools to the lower level and some FCS-schools to the higher level. I'd be curious to see where NDSU would fall if something like that happened. This was not some inside info but pure personal speculation from someone who happens to work there.

NDSUstudent
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Several years ago I talked to a friend at the NCAA and he said he wouldn't be surprised to see a level created between D1 and D2 and comprised of the schools that are typically in the FCS level. Too many schools have been trying to jump up to D1 for the financial benefit (lots of sharing of money that don't exist at the D2 level) and the number of schools jumping from NAIA to D2. If something like that happened, I'm sure there would be some movement of FBS-schools to the lower level and some FCS-schools to the higher level. I'd be curious to see where NDSU would fall if something like that happened. This was not some inside info but pure personal speculation from someone who happens to work there.

Yuck. I would hate to be a member of division 1.5

EndZoneQB
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM

It would just be FCS for every sport...

NorthernBison
12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
It's also exactly where schools like NDSU would end up. Don't anybody kid themselves, there wouldn't be much choice in the matter. This would be the Majors vs. everybody else and only the best funded mid-majors would get to join the big guys. The so-called low-majors would have zero choice.

NDSUstudent
12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
It's also exactly where schools like NDSU would end up. Don't anybody kid themselves, there wouldn't be much choice in the matter. This would be the Majors vs. everybody else and only the best funded mid-majors would get to join the big guys. The so-called low-majors would have zero choice.

Probably, being in the Summit isn't going to take us anywhere. Luckily there is the NCAA basketball tournament to offer some protection against this from happening.

56BISON73
12-22-2009, 09:14 PM

In reality we already are.

NDSUstudent
12-22-2009, 09:25 PM
In reality we already are.

Kind of...there is a big difference in being a mid-major in DI and being in a division that is all mid-majors. Sports like softball, men's and women's basketball would lose a ton of exposure since they couldn't compete on the national stage against the top teams. Division 1.5 would be an afterthought, it would be like being in DII again.

CaBisonFan
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Kind of...there is a big difference in being a mid-major in DI and being in a division that is all mid-majors. Sports like softball, men's and women's basketball would lose a ton of exposure since they couldn't compete on the national stage against the top teams. Division 1.5 would be an afterthought, it would be like being in DII again.

Then I'd see it as being pretty important for NDSU to continue upgrading facilities and pushing the envelope on all levels.

TheBisonator
12-25-2009, 01:40 AM

You know what would even be worse??

Being in the new Division 2. (Division 3?? The one below 1.5)

It happened to us when I-AA was created in 1978. It could happen to us again with shitty leadership.

tjbison
12-25-2009, 09:00 PM
You know what would even be worse??

Being in the new Division 2. (Division 3?? The one below 1.5)

It happened to us when I-AA was created in 1978. It could happen to us again with shitty leadership.

No it won't, and here is why. The NCC was made up of schools that also did take the initiative and jump, so nobody did and also with 4 dakota schools in that conference the "take a chance" mentality was not there. Now we are in a conference with schools that WILL be open to moving the conference to any level and we WILL go with. just my take

fbsbison
12-25-2009, 10:47 PM
ndsu has 2 options, petition for the 7th member of the Mac West, or wait for some conference movement and pray for WAC or Mountain West. Fargo can provide fbs, im so confident that its my username!

tjbison
12-26-2009, 02:47 AM
ndsu has 2 options, petition for the 7th member of the Mac West, or wait for some conference movement and pray for WAC or Mountain West. Fargo can provide fbs, im so confident that its my username!

:rofl: :rofl: hmmm......this has a familiar ring to it??? if your not he, then you know he;)