PDA

View Full Version : Breske was NOT fired

ndsubison1
12-16-2009, 07:07 AM
According to the Forum via Bohl:

North Dakota State head football coach Craig Bohl reiterated that defensive coordinator Mike Breske resigned – and was not fired despite the suspicious circumstances surrounding his departure.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/262941/

JSUBison
12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
I can't read it. I was banned last week at the forum.
:paperbag:

What did the Puritans expect when they leave a Tiger Woods story open to comments?

So did the Bohl story say why Breske stepped down?

heckler
12-16-2009, 12:16 PM
North Dakota State head football coach Craig Bohl reiterated that defensive coordinator Mike Breske resigned – and was not fired despite the suspicious circumstances surrounding his departure.

Breske abruptly left the program last week and has not returned messages seeking comment. The Bison defense struggled last year and he has yet to be named to another position at another school.

“You will hear all kinds of things,” Bohl said. “The statement stands.”

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said he received a letter of resignation from Breske.

“Craig told me Mike decided to resign,” Taylor said. “Now, how they got to that decision I couldn’t tell you.”

Bohl, who is out of town in the midst of a frenzied recruiting period, said he’s conducting a national search for a defensive coordinator. He said he will also consider internal candidates.

Scott Hazelton is the defensive line coach and Charlie Camp coaches the linebackers, although Camp appears headed for the University of Akron.

New Akron coach Rob Ianello and Camp previously worked together at the University of Arizona.

Camp could not be reached for comment.

“I’m not in a position to say much more than that,” Bohl said.

Breske is the second assistant coach to leave in the last two years without taking another immediate job. Last year, linebackers coach Kyle Nystrom did not have his contract renewed. He is currently the defensive coordinator at Fort Hays State (Kan.).

Offensive coordinator Pat Perles left last year for Ball State (Ind.), although just briefly before taking an assistant coaching job with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Assistant coaches leaving during a heavy recruiting period is nothing new to the program, Bohl said.

“We’ve dealt with hiring coaches before during a recruiting period,” he said. “It’s common in college football. The kids look at the school.”

NDSU already has 17 known verbal commitments. Bohl has said he hopes to sign about 23 when the NCAA signing period begins the first week of February.

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I am not sure I believe that. This has too much of the feel of someone being thown under a bus......

Grizzled
12-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I personally don't buy it. What did the forum think he was going to come out and say?

Herd80
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Voluntary resignation > forced resignation > termination/firing

I'll vote for forced resignation. The circumstances surrounding the departure certainly look like this wasn't a "you know something Craig, I didn't do such a great job and feel like I ought to go" type situation.

The public pressure surrounding the program this year can't be a lot of fun to deal with internally. Heads roll sometimes....not saying it's right, I'm just saying.

unbison
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I call BS on coachBohl

Grizzled
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Voluntary resignation > forced resignation > termination/firing

I'll vote for forced resignation. The circumstances surrounding the departure certainly look like this wasn't a "you know something Craig, I didn't do such a great job and feel like I ought to go" type situation.

The public pressure surrounding the program this year can't be a lot of fun to deal with internally. Heads roll sometimes....not saying it's right, I'm just saying.

That the best way to describe it Herd. My only concern is how this constant turnover is going to affect recruiting. I personally don't care if these guys left for Florida, in my mind their is a reason they are all leaving. A lot of staffs at this level use it as a stepping stone to move up the coaching ladder together, right now we are just a revolving door and there has got to be a reason. Its not like after the last few years our coaches have put such a great product on the field that other schools are knocking at the door. Obviously they are out searching for one reason or another.

I'm worried recruits are going to start wondering where the coach that recruited them went and than where the one thats going to be coaching him next year went and so on. Gotta keep coaches longer than a year.

BisonAccountant44
12-16-2009, 02:01 PM

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said he received a letter of resignation from Breske.

“Craig told me Mike decided to resign,” Taylor said. “Now, how they got to that decision I couldn’t tell you.”

To me, this says it all.

rutlandbison
12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
O well this a relief.

unbison
12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Funny how 2 years ago we had a lot of talent and no team on the field...... and now the coaching staff seems to have similar problems.... maybe bohl is a me person on not a team person

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
To me, this says it all.

I agree as well........Gene is being as open as he can be about this thing. And.....I still say it is short sighted to dump Breske after just one season and starting as late in the season as he did......very short sighted.

JacksFan06
12-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Is there any chance that Breske left on his own terms? That he felt it wasn't a good position for him to be in and felt it was in his best interest to leave.
Maybe him and Coach Bohl didn't see eye to eye on things and didn't have a good working relationship.

DjKyRo
12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Is there any chance that Breske left on his own terms? That he felt it wasn't a good position for him to be in and felt it was in his best interest to leave.
Maybe him and Coach Bohl didn't see eye to eye on things and didn't have a good working relationship.

I agree - why does it seem like BVille is so ready to buy into conspiracy theory? They wouldn't fire a guy after just one year and Bohl knows he's in hot water - he's not going to toss another guy under the bus when he knows he's on the hot seat, he'd have to be a monumental moron to make a move like that.

Let's calm down and for a second consider that things might not be as bad as possible.

lakesbison
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Why Is This A Story Still? Breske Left, Bfd!!!

You'll Like Our New Dc + Lb Coach Announced Monday ...

You're Gonna Laugh!!!!!!

bisonhusker
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
people are acting like Breske had the defense playing like a Bo Pelini defense. I know he had limitations, but there was a thread asking for him to be fired this off season. Now he is gone and people are blaming everyone but him. Bottom line, it didn't work out. Hopefully we get someone in here that will want to BUILD a defense and not looking for the next bigger job.

I don't care who was responsible, it is done. He is gone. Hopefully we bring in a Def Coor who will bring in one of his guys to run the linebackers.

SDbison
12-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Several things to ponder:
1. Unless Breske is independently wealthy how the heck do you quit your job before you at least have somebody who you know will offer something you want. Have not heard of Breske taking a job elsewhere. This points to at least a forced resignation.
2. I don't buy the theory that NDSU is experiencing anything close to an average number of coaching changes as compared to any level of college football. We must be averaging close to 2 a year since going FCS. Granted most everyone that has left has gone to a better position or higher level of football.
3. Why is it that other successful FCS programs with very good facilities, great fan support and excellent coaches pay seem to be able to hold on to them longer? Has NDSU just been unlucky? Are there issues with recruiting and retaining players? What is the impact of the off the field problems? Is Fargo so far north nobody wants to come and stay? Does Bohl have issues working with his assistant coaches? Is there too much pressure to win at NDSU?

WYOBISONMAN
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
1. Unless Breske is independently wealthy how the heck do you quit your job before you at least have somebody who you know will offer something you want. Have not heard of Breske taking a job elsewhere. This points to at least a forced resignation.
2. I don't buy the theory that NDSU is experiencing anything close to an average number of coaching changes as compared to any level of college football. We must be averaging close to 2 a year since going FCS. Granted most everyone that has left has gone to a better position or higher level of football.
3. Why is it that other successful FCS programs with very good facilities, great fan support and excellent coaches pay seem to be able to hold on to them longer? Has NDSU just been unlucky? Are there issues with recruiting and retaining players? What is the impact of the off the field problems? Is Fargo so far north nobody wants to come and stay? Does Bohl have issues working with his assistant coaches? Is there too much pressure to win at NDSU?

Agreed! You are on target...

HandoEX
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
How do you know he hasn't already found a new job? Seems like speculation to me.

How can we prevent guys from taking better jobs? Can Bohl prevent FBS schools and NFL teams from plucking our coaches? If the coaches leaving here were going to another FCS, DII, DIII, or NAIA it'd be different. I think Bohl is hiring the best candidates out there (for the most part) and, because of that, they are departing for bigger and better things.

Look at the New England Patriots...Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Charlie Weis and countless position coaches have left NE to take better jobs with other organizations. Does that represent anything negative towards Bilichick? Coaching is a business! Sooner or later we'll get lucky with guys that can get the job done and WANT to stay in Fargo long term. Maybe someone from your neck of the woods can be just that SD;)

GOB1SON
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM

While I agree with this, I do think that when things break down, it is time to go. I have resigned a job without another, because I couldn't handle the situation and my administrator. I don't know why, but I wonder if the defensive philosophies (and perhaps personalities) of the HC and DC just didn't mesh and the DC decided that for the good of the program (and perhaps too many sleepless nights) it was time to go.

These are excellent questions. I think this is due to a couple of things. First, NDSU has a great football tradition, but at the D2 level, and nobody outside of Fargo or Grand Forks cares. I would guess that we are considered a start-up program to most folks. Yeah we have money; yeah we have a fan-base; but we don't have any wins yet. We need to have a couple of conference championships in our pocket before we can say we are an elite program. Otherwise, we are only Florida Atlantic.

Plus I think that Fargo is a tough place. No scenery. Cold as hell. The movie makes us look like hicks. The southern kids that are fast don't want to come here and play. Not when they can play at Sam Houston or UTEP or Georgia Southern. Hell even Montana, which is cold, has great scenery and a 25000 seat stadium.

I do think that there has been pressure to win, but I also think that 20-2 made a lot of folks, both on campus and off, complacent and smug.

If we aren't in the thick of it next year, then there had better be a change.

Grizzled
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
No conspiracy theories for me, this coaching carousel we are starting to have is just starting to frustrate me. Some say coaches are leaving for better jobs, maybe, I think a few seem to be looking for other jobs. Also, how are we supposed to build a program when we bring coaches in and than they "leave on thier own terms."

I also think Taylor's comment came across as distancing himself from the situation. I guess if I was the AD maybe I would like to know why our defensive coordinator of our biggest program on campus left.

I would have had absolutely no problem if Bohl would have come out and said our defense didn't perform to my standards and we needed to make a change. I personally just am tired of this trend of our coaches leaving when other programs similar to us seem to have coaching staffs that wish to make the move together. I am worried that after we lost these two coaches and than possibley the receiver coach mentioned in the Bison media there is a chance of having an effect on our early verbals and recruiting. Just my opinion and I wish we could make it through one offseason without having to install a new offensive or defensive scheme.

Amused
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM

It sounds like BS semantics to me.

Technically, I'm sure he submitted his resignation.
Technically, Penelope Cruz has never turned me down for a date.

NDSUstudent
12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
This whole thing has struck me as odd, Breske was out recruiting days before he resigned. Why would Bohl send a coach out to recruit if he was going to fire him? It makes no sense, if Bohl wanted him out wouldn't it have made sense to do so right after the season ended?

TheDoctor
12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
If one else is going to say it, I suppose I will:

That sounds like a WHALE of a story Bohl is telling! ;)

Grizzled
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM

:D:D:D Thats funny.

SDbison
12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
This whole thing has struck me as odd, Breske was out recruiting days before he resigned. Why would Bohl send a coach out to recruit if he was going to fire him? It makes no sense, if Bohl wanted him out wouldn't it have made sense to do so right after the season ended?
On the contrary why would Breske go out and tell kids to come to NDSU, join him and the team and then two days later resign?
Something doesn't sound right.
What might be more troubling is maybe Bohl was pressuring Breske to make changes and improvements or else......maybe pushing or telling Breske how to do his job to the point where he just gave up. Other possible issues may have been Breskes relationsghip with the other defensive assistant coaches and players. It may have appeared they had no confidence in him and he sensed more failure ahead.

SDbison
12-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Yep! The way things are going the Bison are going to have another WHALE of a season next year!

MN_BISON
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Any chance Joe Glenn could be heading back to Montana if Bobby Hauck were to take a job at San Jose State? If so would he want to bring back his long time DC with him? Makes about as much sense as anything else. :confused:

56BISON73
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
While I agree with this, I do think that when things break down, it is time to go. I have resigned a job without another, because I couldn't handle the situation and my administrator. I don't know why, but I wonder if the defensive philosophies (and perhaps personalities) of the HC and DC just didn't mesh and the DC decided that for the good of the program (and perhaps too many sleepless nights) it was time to go.

These are excellent questions. I think this is due to a couple of things. First, NDSU has a great football tradition, but at the D2 level, and nobody outside of Fargo or Grand Forks cares. I would guess that we are considered a start-up program to most folks. Yeah we have money; yeah we have a fan-base; but we don't have any wins yet. We need to have a couple of conference championships in our pocket before we can say we are an elite program. Otherwise, we are only Florida Atlantic.

Plus I think that Fargo is a tough place. No scenery. Cold as hell. The movie makes us look like hicks. The southern kids that are fast don't want to come here and play. Not when they can play at Sam Houston or UTEP or Georgia Southern. Hell even Montana, which is cold, has great scenery and a 25000 seat stadium.

I do think that there has been pressure to win, but I also think that 20-2 made a lot of folks, both on campus and off, complacent and smug.

If we aren't in the thick of it next year, then there had better be a change.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Plus the rest of your points certainly made the decsion easier for him to make.

BadlandsBison
12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I think Bohl told sat down with Breske and said "This is what we have to change about our defense."

Breske has ran this defense for a long time and has had really good success with with it in other places. At that point I think Breske just said "No, I would rather go someplace else and run this defense instead of changing."

That is the impression I get. No hard feelings really, its just that Breske doesn't want to change his philosophy. I don't think Bohl said gave Breske a change or quit ultimatum.

lakesbison
12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
On Monday None Of You Will Care About Breske With The 2 New Hires!!!!

HerdBot
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Doesn't matter because with a season like that he SHOULD have been fired.

ndsubison1
12-16-2009, 07:24 PM

this makes the most sense

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Craig and Gene will find us the best D coordinator available based on our budget. I will support whoever they find.

In my opinion, the more pressing need is to have a few current players, step up, and to sign a few studs that play on defensive side of ball

GOB1SON
12-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Absolutely!!! I can't wait.

http://www.coachzauner.com/testimonial_images/images_2/Mike_Ditka2.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/john-madden-retiring.jpg

tjbison
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Does today's hiring freeze include these 2 coaching positions??? if so Crap Bohl will be the Special Teams, DC, and Linebackers coach also:banghead: :banghead:

Tatanka
12-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Absolutely!!! I can't wait.

http://www.coachzauner.com/testimonial_images/images_2/Mike_Ditka2.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/john-madden-retiring.jpg

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa BISON.

BOOM!

Herd
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Breske was on the road recruiting, and I think he came to the realization that he might not be able to turn things around. Why would Bohl send him on the road to recruit if he was going to fire him? He wouldn't, he just wouldn't . . . there is no conspiracy theory here. Move along folks!

AllAboutBisonPride
12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Funny how 2 years ago we had a lot of talent and no team on the field...... and now the coaching staff seems to have similar problems.... maybe bohl is a me person on not a team person

is "person on," a new phrase for the type of person who has the same phoney ness as the our megalowmanic coach? If so, I would say "person on" every Sunday during the season on the Phil Hanson Show when he smiles like bought hook line and sinker a sermon from Jim Jones.

SUBISON247
12-17-2009, 04:25 AM
To loosely quote the great movie Major League "Who gives a shit he's gone!" If he was fired resigned or whatever he is no longer our d-coordinator and we must move on and make positive progress for next year.

WYOBISONMAN
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
To loosely quote the great movie Major League "Who gives a shit he's gone!" If he was fired resigned or whatever he is no longer our d-coordinator and we must move on and make positive progress for next year.

The reason one gives a shit is beacuse it may be an example of how Bohl is dealing with issues on his staff and that can have a significant effect on out program. So, it is indeed important.......

Bison Dan
12-17-2009, 01:54 PM
The reason one gives a shit is beacuse it may be an example of how Bohl is dealing with issues on his staff and that can have a significant effect on out program. So, it is indeed important.......

No you're wrong and just speculating. Unless you're within the program itself all anyone can do is speculate. It's a good bet that he was given the choice. Glad we will be getting some new blood.

unbison
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
No you're wrong and just speculating. Unless you're within the program itself all anyone can do is speculate. It's a good bet that he was given the choice. Glad we will be getting some new blood.
And what might you be doing in assuming he is incorrect..... speculating:hide:

Bison_Pride
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't know how many of you saw Hallstrom's sports last night but he talked about the revolving door of NDSU coaches the past few years, and hinted that Bohl might be bringing in some guys who don't have connections to FBS programs so there isn't a call for them to leave at the drop of a hat anymore. Maybe that's just speculation on his part, maybe not.

Would bringing in guys who aren't as well connected, but demonstrate outstanding coaching skills, be a better idea?

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
FIRE BRESKE!!!!! ROCKY!!!!!:bowdown: :praying:

Grizzled
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't know how many of you saw Hallstrom's sports last night but he talked about the revolving door of NDSU coaches the past few years, and hinted that Bohl might be bringing in some guys who don't have connections to FBS programs so there isn't a call for them to leave at the drop of a hat anymore. Maybe that's just speculation on his part, maybe not.

Would bringing in guys who aren't as well connected, but demonstrate outstanding coaching skills, be a better idea?

In my opinion it would be a better question for Bohl to ask why all these coaches want to leave. I know if I had this high of turnover with my employees I would really take a look at the reason these guys where so willing to leave what we all view from the outside as a great program when other schools really similar to us don't have such a high turnover rate.

Bison"FANatic"
12-17-2009, 02:16 PM

In my opinon you need to have some coaches on the staff with connections but there is nothing wrong with having some that are just great coaches that have got it done on what ever level they were at and can bring that up to the FCS level. Basically X's and O's and schemes don't change that much from level to level just the athletic ability of the players is higher.

Connections can be cultivated and made but I wouldn't want the coaching portion to be on the job training.

HandoEX
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
In my opinion it would be a better question for Bohl to ask why all these coaches want to leave. I know if I had this high of turnover with my employees I would really take a look at the reason these guys where so willing to leave what we all view from the outside as a great program when other schools really similar to us don't have such a high turnover rate.

Better jobs! NDSU isn't going to compare with FBS and NFL positions!

Grizzled
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Better jobs! NDSU isn't going to compare with FBS and NFL positions!

Your right with our 6-5 and 3-8 records the last two seasons I can see how the NFL and FBS are going to be lining up at the door and taking numbers to pick off our coaches when other programs that have been a little more successful are keeping thier coaching staffs in tact.

RedRiver
12-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Your right with our 6-5 and 3-8 records the last two seasons I can see how the NFL and FBS are going to be lining up at the door and taking numbers to pick off our coaches when other programs that have been a little more successful are keeping thier coaching staffs in tact.

Maybe coaches at the other programs you mention don't have the ambition or drive to move-up, they are satisfied being status quo. It seems that NDSU has gotten qualified assistants that want to move on to the FBS or NFL level.

unbison
12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe coaches at the other programs you mention don't have the ambition or drive to move-up, they are satisfied being status quo. It seems that NDSU has gotten qualified assistants that want to move on to the FBS or NFL level.
And this will continue forever even with a move to the wac or the mac.... NDSU will be a coaching turnstyle or a stepping stone for coaches with the ability and the ambition to move on!

Grizzled
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Good for us though if we are the only program that can get these highly motivated assistants.

You guys realize that our:

-LB's will be going on their 3rd coach in 4 years.
-DB's will be going on their 3rd coach in 4 years.
-DE's have had 2 coaches in 4 years.
-TE's have had 4 coaches in 4 years.
-OL has had 2 coaches in 4 years.
-WR's have had 2 (maybe 3) coaches in 4 years.

These may be a year or two off. I'm just shooting off the top of my head. I see more of a trend here than just being the only program in FCS to be fortunate enough to have highly motivated coaches that are looking to move up the college ladder.

Just my opinion.

HandoEX
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Name a Bison coach that left NDSU in the last 3 years to go to an FCS, DII, DIII, or NAIA program.

Now name Bison coaches that left NDSU to go to an FBS or NFL team.

I rest my case:bow:

Grizzled
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Name a Bison coach that left NDSU in the last 3 years to go to an FCS, DII, DIII, or NAIA program.

Now name Bison coaches that left NDSU to go to an FBS or NFL team.

I rest my case:bow:

Well Hando I couldn't tell you. Don't really keep track of the coaching staffs of other colleges. I guess its great to continue to be this great stepping stone while our player development suffers. But at least we are putting our coaches into higher positions because in the end it is all about the coaches isn't it.

All I'm saying is look at successful programs such as Montana, Appalachian St., probably UNI and I don't know who else is always in the mix but the one constant you will find is a coaching staff who has been together and developed a program. Not a revolving door. You can't tell me they don't have the opportunity to move along more so than NDSU coaches. You will always have position coach changes every once in a while but we are on our 3rd D coordinator in 5 years (the amount of time one recruiting class would be around) and 2nd O coordinator in that same time frame. That to me seems like a lot. I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on the fact that its ok that our coaches are leaving. :D

HandoEX
12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on the fact that its ok that our coaches are leaving. :D

I've never said it's ok for our coaches to be leaving at this rate.

I was responding to your post about WHY they are leaving at such a high rate...it seems obvious that better jobs are calling. Most people would take a better job if offered, would they not?

I'll agree with you that it's not good for our program, that's for sure:smh:

Grizzled
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I've never said it's ok for our coaches to be leaving at this rate.

I was responding to your post about WHY they are leaving at such a high rate...it seems obvious that better jobs are calling. Most people would take a better job if offered, would they not?

I'll agree with you that it's not good for our program, that's for sure:smh:

Last post about this than I'm done with it(although I have enjoyed the conversation). I guess I should have worded it as "Coach Bohl should look at how other programs that are also highly regarded in the FCS world can keep their coaches and we cannot." I'm sure better jobs have been offered to coaches at these other schools but they seem to stick around. I question if these schools are calling our coaches or are our coaches out searching?

ndsubison1
12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
im guessing that bohl decided to part ways with breske. we had a rough year and im sure he's just trying to make it look like he's at least doing something to try and right the ship and save some face

ISXBISON
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Breske came here after being a head coach at an FBS school. Maybe after the season he realized he didn't like the step down to D-coordinator at an FCS school and not having the control a head coach has.

HandoEX
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Breske came here after being a head coach at an FBS school. Maybe after the season he realized he didn't like the step down to D-coordinator at an FCS school and not having the control a head coach has.
He was not a head coach at Wyoming, he was the defensive coordinator. Joe Glenn was the head coach.

A1pigskin
12-17-2009, 05:43 PM
It seems odd someone would quit with nowhere to go.

ISXBISON
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
He was not a head coach at Wyoming, he was the defensive coordinator. Joe Glenn was the head coach.

You're right--my bad. Still a step down he may not have liked.

NDSUstudent
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Breske worked with Glenn for decades, maybe he just couldn't get used to working under Bohl.

OldBison
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Does Bohl have issues working with his assistant coaches?

The fact that he has had at least two coaches leave after every one of his 7 seasons here is certainly a red flag on this issue. Come on, he comes off a a pompous ass in public, what the hell do you think he is like to work for?:hide:

WYOBISONMAN
12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Good for us though if we are the only program that can get these highly motivated assistants.

You guys realize that our:

-LB's will be going on their 3rd coach in 4 years.
-DB's will be going on their 3rd coach in 4 years.
-DE's have had 2 coaches in 4 years.
-TE's have had 4 coaches in 4 years.
-OL has had 2 coaches in 4 years.
-WR's have had 2 (maybe 3) coaches in 4 years.

These may be a year or two off. I'm just shooting off the top of my head. I see more of a trend here than just being the only program in FCS to be fortunate enough to have highly motivated coaches that are looking to move up the college ladder.

Just my opinion.

I hear the Special Teams coach will be staying.....;)

roadwarrior
12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe the new guys coming in will stay longer since it sounds like they might not have all those D-I connections. :hide:

Notorious
12-17-2009, 10:00 PM
The fact that he has had at least two coaches leave after every one of his 7 seasons here is certainly a red flag on this issue. Come on, he comes off a a pompous ass in public, what the hell do you think he is like to work for?:hide:

This is great!

Bison bison
12-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Come on, he comes off a a pompous ass in public, what the hell do you think he is like to work for?:hide:

The media portrays nearly everyone affiliated with NDSU as a pompous ass.

BlueBisonRock
12-18-2009, 01:16 AM
The media portrays nearly everyone affiliated with NDSU as a pompous ass.

Including Bisonville. :D

lakesbison
12-18-2009, 01:43 AM
ROAD... STOP THAT!!! thats my secret biatch!! ha ha

sambini
12-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Have you met the man? He takes care of his guys. These guys left for the NFL AND FBS schools. They are moving up in there field.

BisoninNWMN
12-18-2009, 02:56 AM

Do you work for him??? You must know something.......

Coaches are going to move upward from FCS to FBS......not too hard to figure out.

I don't see him coming off as a "pompous ass" in public.

56BISON73
12-18-2009, 03:30 AM

Old Bison-Bison Neil

NDSU has been a stepping stone for sometime or did you happen to miss that? Its not a red flag at all. But you would like to make it out that way.
Pompous ass??? He has never come off that way to me. I have met him many times in the last 4-5 years and have enjoyed the conversation. As a matter of fact he actually engaged me in conversation very early on so I dont take that as being pompous.
We all know that you dont like him and have an axe to grind. So what did he ever do to you? Just wondering???

BisoninNWMN
12-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Old Bison-Bison Neil
NDSU has been a stepping stone for sometime or did you happen to miss that? Its not a red flag at all. But you would like to make it out that way.
Pompous ass??? He has never come off that way to me. I have met him many times in the last 4-5 years and have enjoyed the conversation. As a matter of fact he actually engaged me in conversation very early on so I dont take that as being pompous.
We all know that you dont like him and have an axe to grind. So what did he ever do to you?

Didn't know that PL.......makes sense!!

Bohl has never come across as that...to me anyway.

bisonhusker
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Damn, do we need to review the list of where these coaches are going? They are going bigtime. These coaches praise what Bohl has done for them and thanks that he wants to further their careers. Craig may not be your favorite coach, but he has always been very polite and open with me.

I still remember the time he told me that "Tyler Roehl will be my starting RB next year." I almost spit out my beer. "You mean our slow full back from West Fargo?"

I guess he was right on that one......

Grizzled
12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Damn, do we need to review the list of where these coaches are going? They are going bigtime. These coaches praise what Bohl has done for them and thanks that he wants to further their careers. Craig may not be your favorite coach, but he has always been very polite and open with me.

I still remember the time he told me that "Tyler Roehl will be my starting RB next year." I almost spit out my beer. "You mean our slow full back from West Fargo?"

I guess he was right on that one......

Good, he's a great guy. I don't think anyone is arguing about where the coaches are going. I could really care less if they are leaving to coach at USC or Florida. Its why are they going? There are a lot of successful FCS programs who have had their entire coaching staffs together for 5+ years. The head coach and coordinators even longer. These are programs that are in the FCS playoffs every year, are consistently ranked in the top half of FCS and I'm sure are just as good of coaches as we have yet they seem to stick around. That could make the difference. I personally could care less if Coach Bohl gave me a kidney but if you don't think losing coaches year after year after year doesn't affect player development you might want to take a closer look.

bisonhusker
12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree, coaching turnover has been an issue and something that I have stated is an ongoing problem. My point was really arguing that he is not a prick and causing these people to leave, they are simply using NDSU as a stepping stone to get to the elite programs. Hopefully he is getting that staff in place that wants to stay for a while. Fuchs for an example is a guy who WANTS to be a Bison coach. We need more of them. We all agree on that.

Grizzled
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree, coaching turnover has been an issue and something that I have stated is an ongoing problem. My point was really arguing that he is not a prick and causing these people to leave, they are simply using NDSU as a stepping stone to get to the elite programs. Hopefully he is getting that staff in place that wants to stay for a while. Fuchs for an example is a guy who WANTS to be a Bison coach. We need more of them. We all agree on that.

++++++++++

sambini
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Well said+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SDbison
12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Well said+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Looks like you out +++++++++++++++'ed Grizzled

bisonmike2
12-18-2009, 05:19 PM

I agree. But I also can't fault a guy like Garza who was around here for several years then decided to take a job and an elite program. These 1 and 2 years then out guys suck.

A1pigskin
12-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Ditto to what bisoninnwmn said.

DORMIE
12-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Face is, it's pretty hard not to be in the limelite when you're the Bison football coach. However I've observed Coach Bohl on many occasions kind of work the room to make sure he met everyone. Just ask the people from FM Athletics if they appreciated the time he and his staff spent with their coaches last fall. I can recall only coach that left unhappy. Might have had something to do with going around Coach Bohl to Gene to get the DQ job. Tough place to coach with so many experts. However, I've always said...."It beats being someplace where nobody gives a shit!!

johnson
12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Face is, it's pretty hard not to be in the limelite when you're the Bison football coach. However I've observed Coach Bohl on many occasions kind of work the room to make sure he met everyone. Just ask the people from FM Athletics if they appreciated the time he and his staff spent with their coaches last fall. I can recall only coach that left unhappy. Might have had something to do with going around Coach Bohl to Gene to get the DQ job. Tough place to coach with so many experts. However, I've always said...."It beats being someplace where nobody gives a shit!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Bohl while out eating a few months ago. I was wearing a NDSU sweatshirt and he came up to me out of nowhere and shook my hand and introduced himself. He asked me where I was from and he started talking about my hometown hs football team. He was a class act. I have never experienced a coach coming up to talk to me just because I was wearing some NDSU gear. It seems to me that it is the fan who normally approaches a coach or player to talk not the other way around.

Bisonfan1
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Some of you guys have the resourses and time to research things, I dont, it would be interesting to find out what year the bail outs started ? It seems to me that back in the "hay days" there was not much turn around, or maybe there was, but was just not noticed because NDSU was winning year after year and nobody noticed. I just remember applauding the same coaching staff running up the south stairs at Dacotah Field for some years until the Bison moved into the dome and did really not see the coaching staff anymore. I do remember that staff more by face then name, and it was nothing but determination to win on their faces.

OldBison
12-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Okay, if Bohl isn't hard to work for and the coaches are simply leaving for better jobs, why don't other coaching staffs from other successful FCS teams leave? Must be lousy coaches who stay because they can get no other jobs?

Hauck has been at Montana for 7 years, his assistants average 5.6 years.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/coaches.aspx?c=12&m=18

Farley has been a UNI for 9 years, his assistants have been there for an average of 8.4.

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/niwa-m-footbl-mtt.html#coaches

Jerry Moore has been at Appy State for 21 years, average length of time his assistants have been with him= 8.1

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&KEY=&SPID=12811&SPSID=104462

I could go on and I have just to take a look at this last year when I became concerned about the assistant coach shuffle, its the same deal. Successful programs have coaches that stay. Period.

Oh, by the way, Bohl has been here 7 years. Average stay of his assistant coaches? A staggering 2.9 yrs. :smh:

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Bohl is a gem of a boss and the coaches he gets are sooooo much better than what everyone else gets that is why NDSU coaches move on and the poor bastards at successful programs are stuck. Damn it to hell!

OldBison
12-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Some of you guys have the resourses and time to research things, I dont, it would be interesting to find out what year the bail outs started ? It seems to me that back in the "hay days" there was not much turn around, or maybe there was, but was just not noticed because NDSU was winning year after year and nobody noticed. I just remember applauding the same coaching staff running up the south stairs at Dacotah Field for some years until the Bison moved into the dome and did really not see the coaching staff anymore. I do remember that staff more by face then name, and it was nothing but determination to win on their faces.

Bohl has never lost less than 2 coaches in one year to my knowledge. But hey, I'm old :D

Bisonfan1
12-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Bohl has never lost less than 2 coaches in one year to my knowledge. But hey, I'm old :D

Guess that answears the question at hand here :D

NDSUstudent
12-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Okay, if Bohl isn't hard to work for and the coaches are simply leaving for better jobs, why don't other coaching staffs from other successful FCS teams leave? Must be lousy coaches who stay because they can get no other jobs?

Hauck has been at Montana for 7 years, his assistants average 5.6 years.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/coaches.aspx?c=12&m=18

Farley has been a UNI for 9 years, his assistants have been there for an average of 8.4.

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/niwa-m-footbl-mtt.html#coaches

Jerry Moore has been at Appy State for 21 years, average length of time his assistants have been with him= 8.1

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&KEY=&SPID=12811&SPSID=104462

I could go on and I have just to take a look at this last year when I became concerned about the assistant coach shuffle, its the same deal. Successful programs have coaches that stay. Period.

Oh, by the way, Bohl has been here 7 years. Average stay of his assistant coaches? A staggering 2.9 yrs. :smh:

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Bohl is a gem of a boss and the coaches he gets are sooooo much better than what everyone else gets that is why NDSU coaches move on and the poor bastards at successful programs are stuck. Damn it to hell!

C'mon oldbison, where have most of the coaches gone? The NFL, UCLA, Michigan State, Oklahoma State....Outside of Breske and Nystrom the coaches have made vertical jumps. Maybe that is part of the problem, maybe a lot of assistants have come in here hoping NDSU will be a quick launchpad to something bigger and better.

met1990
12-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Sounds like NDSU needs to hire some crappier coaches then. Apparently the caliber that has gotten them to losing seasons the past few years were too good. ;)

ndsubison1
12-19-2009, 07:12 AM
how dare these coaches leave for tennessee, seattle seahawks, kansas city chiefs, oklahoma, and ucla. they should know better

IzzyFlexion
12-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Sounds like NDSU needs to hire some crappier coaches then. Apparently the caliber that has gotten them to losing seasons the past few years were too good. ;)

Brilliant!!:D :D

steelbison
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM

OldBison...we get your point for some reason you don't like Coach Bohl. I personally do and just like he changed his recruiting he is changing the types of coaches he brings in.

Instead of guys that are using this as a stepping stone he will be bringing in guys that want to be here long term.

Understand this is his first time as a head coach and he has learned some lessons the hard way but has made/is making the necessary adjustments to be successful in the future.

BisonNeil
12-22-2009, 06:09 PM

So it's Tuesday Lakes. What's up?

met1990
12-22-2009, 06:15 PM
So it's Tuesday Lakes. What's up?

Maybe he meant to say, "On Monday None Of You Will Care About Breske With The Favre/Childress Schism Part II!!!!

bisonmike2
12-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe he meant to say, "On Monday None Of You Will Care About Breske With The Favre/Childress Schism Part II!!!!

no, i think it was "on Monday none of you will remember that I completely guessed that we'd have an announcement on Monday." Or something like that.

Bisonfan1
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
OldBison...we get your point for some reason you don't like Coach Bohl. I personally do and just like he changed his recruiting he is changing the types of coaches he brings in.

Instead of guys that are using this as a stepping stone he will be bringing in guys that want to be here long term.

Understand this is his first time as a head coach and he has learned some lessons the hard way but has made/is making the necessary adjustments to be successful in the future.

Do you know something here??? please share with the class. Thank You