View Full Version : DC

westnodak93bison
12-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Is there a list of candidates yet?

CaBisonFan
12-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Is there a list of candidates yet?

I'm kinda hanging my hopes on Tony Dungy...:cool:

Sorry...it's a good question. I couldn't help myself.

BlueBisonRock
12-11-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm kinda hanging my hopes on Tony Dungy...:cool:

Sorry...it's a good question. I couldn't help myself.

He is being queued up for the University of Minnesota once Tim (I will not leave) Brewster moves on up to the east side. :D

DjKyRo
12-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Patriots fans are inexplicably pissed at BIll Belicheck for having a few weeks where the team doesn't look immortal. Maybe he'd be down for a less high-profile position? :D

Notorious
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe Lakes can text Chris Mortenson and get the scoop...

Thunder_Struck
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Maybe Lakes can text Chris Mortenson and get the scoop...

Lakes doesn't text Chris, Chris texts Lakes.

GOB1SON
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
What ratio of threads end up being a Lakesbison bash-fest? 1/4? 1/2?

I would like to see a good, defensive minded D2 head coach that is looking to move up.

http://asurams.edu/athletics/mfootball/CoachMike.php

Check out this guy. Not sure you could drag him away from Albany State, but he has the resume.

Of course, the biggest thing is can he run the defense that the head coach wants to run.

Notorious
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
What ratio of threads end up being a Lakesbison bash-fest? 1/4? 1/2?

I would like to see a good, defensive minded D2 head coach that is looking to move up.

http://asurams.edu/athletics/mfootball/CoachMike.php

Check out this guy. Not sure you could drag him away from Albany State, but he has the resume.

Of course, the biggest thing is can he run the defense that the head coach wants to run.

Someone knows something??????

GOB1SON
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Someone knows something??????

NO!

I don't want to start a rumor, just throwing a name out there for the Bisonvillers.

I work about 90 miles from Albany, so am familar.

From an outsiders perspective, he runs a clean program with little money and gets solid results. Gets good kids and turns them into great defenses.

However, he is an alum of the school, and from all reports, loves coaching at Albany State.

But when the questions was asked here, his name popped into my head.

Unlike many others on Bisonville, I have NO insider information.

Facts
12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
How 'bout the UMD HC?

GOB1SON
12-11-2009, 03:00 PM
How 'bout the UMD HC?

If I am not mistaken, he is also the AD and was previously the HC there (this is his second stint as HC). Can someone confirm?

I am not sure of his background, if it is defensive or offensive (or as often is the case with coaches at this level, both).

Castor Troy
12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Here are some names that look interesting just because they have strong defenses:

Daronte' Jones- Bowie State DC. Top 10 defense the past 4 years in DII. One of his athletes was quoted as saying that his new defensive schemes have given them a new swagger on defense.

Reggie Ruffin- Tuskegee DC. He has been mentioned as a candidate for a position with Alabama. He is also a North Alabama grad so he is familiar with NDSU's past.

Joe Lorig- Central Washington DC. He has been a FCS DC with Idaho State, where they were ranked 31st in rushing defense. It looks like he has moved around a lot looking for the right opportunity.

Mike Furlong- West Chester DC. He is a 20 year veteran for West Chester, who have had strong defenses forever.

These are just names. I have zero connections. Has anyone ever heard of these guys? Reggie Ruffin interests me the most, but he may stay just a short stint and move on to greener pastures.

baseballfan7
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
If I am not mistaken, he is also the AD and was previously the HC there (this is his second stint as HC). Can someone confirm?

I am not sure of his background, if it is defensive or offensive (or as often is the case with coaches at this level, both).

Yes, that is right. He is currently the AD at UMD and this is his 2nd stint at Head Coach there. Is background is both, as he was a OL coach and DC before he was a Head Coach. I don't think he would move to be just a coordinator at this point in his career.

Notorious
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
How about this guy...

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dosch_tom00.html

GOB1SON
12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
How about this guy...

I like it! DC and can help our special teams coach, who has "struggled" a bit in the past couple of years. They haven't been very "special".

Notorious
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I like it! DC and can help our special teams coach, who has "struggled" a bit in the past couple of years. They haven't been very "special".

He's is a current finalist for the HC job at Northern in Aberdeen, SD.....

Bison101
12-11-2009, 09:10 PM
He's is a current finalist for the HC job at Northern in Aberdeen, SD.....

Bison DC or Northern State Coach....hmmmm.... that might be a tough one

OldBison
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM
How about this guy...

Once a Sue always a Sue, so I doubt it :bow:

tjbison
12-11-2009, 11:36 PM
How about Charlie Weiss???

:D :D

Mr. Burgundy
12-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I would say the next coach(s) with our program are going to be coaching in a National Title game very soon, are currently undefeated and already know how to humiliate one of our past rivals.

You guys can do the math.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-12-2009, 01:50 AM
I would say the next coach(s) with our program are going to be coaching in a National Title game very soon, are currently undefeated and already know how to humiliate one of our past rivals.

well then we at least know its not any coaches from U o Minnesota, I think I see where you're going with this one....If I am right I like this idea, the fact they're going for a national title and undefeated shows these coaches know how to win something we need.

The few questions I am wondering: Is Breske the only one that will be leaving this year? Will we have coaches moving around to different positions? Imo, we need some changes!

Notorious
12-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Can one of you smart guys do this math and let me know??

Gully
12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Can one of you smart guys do this math and let me know??

I haven't figured this one out yet.

Grand Valley State?

Northwest Missouri State is not undefeated.

Appy? I can't remember if they're undefeated.

That leaves Alabama and Texas and I'm not aware of any connections there.

Anyone?

tjbison
12-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I haven't figured this one out yet.

Grand Valley State?

Northwest Missouri State is not undefeated.

Appy? I can't remember if they're undefeated.

That leaves Alabama and Texas and I'm not aware of any connections there.

Anyone?

Only undefeated team in FCS is Montana, but that leaves Boise St, Cincy, TCU, Bama and Texas as the other DI schools to not lose a game!!!

Tatanka
12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/kgirly09/thbob_barker.jpg

You've all overbid.

The lowest bid is Grand Valley State, an NCAA Division II school.

Try again, and this time go LOWER than Grand Valley State. (http://www.usfcougars.com/mens-sports/football)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/skidogg22/bob-barker.jpg
Wait, what was I talking about again?

Gully
12-12-2009, 02:17 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/kgirly09/thbob_barker.jpg

You've all overbid.

The lowest bid is Grand Valley State, an NCAA Division II school.

Try again, and this time go LOWER than Grand Valley State. (http://www.usfcougars.com/mens-sports/football)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/skidogg22/bob-barker.jpg
Wait, what was I talking about again?

Wouldn't that be quite a jump up? I think there were a few undefeated high schools as well, not sure we should run out and hire their coach. Plus, USF is an offensive school, don't we need defensive coaches?

Bison"FANatic"
12-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe even with a points per game given up of 9.71, 5.93, 9.71 points per game the last 3 years. Maybe or maybe not. Time will tell.

Mr. Burgundy
12-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry guys, yes I am referring to the head coach at USF as well as the DC at USF. Young guys that are proven winners. They have had several other chances and have proven what they can at that level. They would be fantastic at our level in my opinion. I think it is time we take the up and comer (from a lower level) instead of the guy that is between things from the upper level. That creates a revolving door. If we could land these guys, or a guy, we could have them for a while as they prove themselves at this level.

If you can coach, you can coach. These guys can coach. I hope after they win the National Championship (their 3rd) we hear that we are getting them.

Tatanka
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't that be quite a jump up? I think there were a few undefeated high schools as well, not sure we should run out and hire their coach. Plus, USF is an offensive school, don't we need defensive coaches?

FWIW, I don't necessarily support the endorsement. I was simply playing the game and answering the question correctly.

Gully
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Gotcha...who knows, just because it's a small school doesn't mean they're not good coaches. I just think that it might be a different ball game playing SIU and UNI.

EndZoneQB
12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Gotcha...who knows, just because it's a small school doesn't mean they're not good coaches. I just think that it might be a different ball game playing SIU and UNI.

Tell that to Brian Kelly. Grand Valley State to CMU. Seems like about the same jump to me...winners are winners.

HerdBot
12-12-2009, 07:15 PM
The USF defense made UND look like they were NAIA

56BISON73
12-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Football is football. The only difference is recruiting for the better talent level and the speed of the game. Granted some coaches arent able to make the next step up.

Some dont want to as there are more responsibilities at this level. Alumni, fundraising, glad handing. recruiting. More people will have a piece of his butt.

Can he handle all of it plus the coaching? The coaching is the easy part.

Gully
12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Tell that to Brian Kelly. Grand Valley State to CMU. Seems like about the same jump to me...winners are winners.

Well that's why I said that just because he's at a lower level, doesn't mean he's not a good coach. There's no way to know for sure. For ever Brian Kelly, there are a lot of others that we can't name because they failed. So I guess I'd say they shouldn't be ruled out but just because they were successful at a pretty low level, doesn't mean they're going to be successful at a higher level. Morton and Solomonson were very successful at NDSU but didn't do much after that.

All that said, I did watch the USF/UND game and liked what I saw. But then again, I just don't think UND was very good this year.

Gully
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The USF defense made UND look like they were NAIA

This year's UND team was indeed pretty much NAIA level. I have und friends and they said it was their worst team since they started watching.

Facts
12-12-2009, 07:47 PM
This year's UND team was indeed pretty much NAIA level. I have und friends and they said it was their worst team since they started watching.

OH! THE HUMANITY! ;)

Grizzled
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I believe Bobby Petrino started at Carrol College in Mt. He than made similar steps up the ladder and I would say besides his stint with the Falcons and his reputation he has done real well for himself as a coach.

Unless Burgandy knows something we don't, and he very much might, we may be speculating about nothing. Just like last year this is a very attractive position and there will be a list of applicants just as impressive as the Sioux Falls coaches. It will be fun to follow.

TheBisonator
12-13-2009, 03:51 AM
I was thinking while watching some of the D2 championship on TV today, how about Scott Bostwick, the DC at Northwest Missouri State?? Going from the DC for the D2 champ to the DC at a high-level FCS school is a decent step up, unless the guy wants to be a head coach...

westnodak93bison
12-13-2009, 04:06 AM
How about Monte Kiffin? I have a feeling Lane will be in trouble so bring back Monte as DC and Willie Mack as secondary. We can only hope.

DIBISON
12-13-2009, 04:56 AM
D wins the games. Watching the two FCS semifinals last night and today you couldn't help but be impressed with the D on all four teams. We need the athletes but the new Bison DC better be able to scheme, call a game, and make the adjustments.

NDSU needs to get back to BISON PRIDE!

HandoEX
12-13-2009, 05:10 AM
I was thinking while watching some of the D2 championship on TV today, how about Scott Bostwick, the DC at Northwest Missouri State?? Going from the DC for the D2 champ to the DC at a high-level FCS school is a decent step up, unless the guy wants to be a head coach...

Could he find a red Bison hat to wear?

;)

Herd
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Whoever comes in better get the full set of keys to car, instead of being told to run the tampa 2.

westnodak93bison
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
nothing wrong with the Tampa 2 imho, but you cant expect to run it well with a 190lb true freshman at one outside lb, a sophomore 225lb MLB and whomever else is healthy enough to play at the other OLB and inconsistent pressure from the DEs

tjbison
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I think Montana runs the Tampa 2?? looked to work for them yesterday

BisonNeil
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Anybody catch the semi final game between William and Mary and Villanova Friday night? Villanova runs a very unusual defense, a 3-3-5 (which the Bison could never do, we don't have enough good DBs), but they blitz on nearly every down. It creates a lot of mismatches and really makes the opposing OL slow down in their blocking schemes because they think too much about what they need to do. Very interesting concept.

I think the Montana-Villanova championship game Friday night will be fun to watch. I encourage all to tune in to find out just what it will take to get to that level of football. Watch Montana's OL, OT and OG run 6'6" or taller and all in excess of 300lbs. The left side is dominating, but given the defensive philosophy of Villanova, it should be an interesting matchup. The RB for MT is from 8 man football and he really tore up Appy State last night. Should be fun.

westnodak93bison
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
lets figure out what MT has that we dont have....I doubt their Oline is much better than ours and our RBs are fine.

tjbison
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM
lets figure out what MT has that we dont have....I doubt their Oline is much better than ours and our RBs are fine.

Defense and Special teams, bet they have a Special Teams coach too!!!:hide: Come to think of it we dont have a Defensive coach either

unbison
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
our oline has a ways to go sorry!

SDbison
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Defense and Special teams, bet they have a Special Teams coach too!!!:hide: Come to think of it we dont have a Defensive coach either
Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner!

steelbison
12-13-2009, 05:13 PM
our oline has a ways to go sorry!

Strange comment for a team that just had the leading rusher in the nation!!!!!!!!!

Montanta played the Tampa 2 and reminded me of defenses we have had in the past...very physical..when someone catches the ball make them pay!!!

Great game to watch!!

SDbison
12-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Strange comment for a team that just had the leading rusher in the nation!!!!!!!!!

Montanta played the Tampa 2 and reminded me of defenses we have had in the past...very physical..when someone catches the ball make them pay!!!

Great game to watch!!
For the most part Bison d-backs suck! They lack in coverage and make poor tackles. I believe most of the problem is the coaching.

SDbison
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Glad the Bison got rid of Breske. I hear all these fans making excuses for him because he wasn't able to have better talent or play something other than the Tampa 2. I believe when the guy took the job at NDSU he knew what talent was here and also knew he wouldn't be able to play a 3-4. He apparently sucked at seeing where the Bison lacked and couldn't apply a fix during practice. Also couldn't do crap to put in a D to stop an opposing team on 3rd down, even at home, whether there was 1 yard to go or 25. Obviously he was fired. Don't see any immediate offers for him to take a job elsewhere.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Glad the Bison got rid of Breske. I hear all these fans making excuses for him because he wasn't able to have better talent or play something other than the Tampa 2. I believe when the guy took the job at NDSU he knew what talent was here and also knew he wouldn't be able to play a 3-4. He apparently sucked at seeing where the Bison lacked and couldn't apply a fix during practice. Also couldn't do crap to put in a D to stop an opposing team on 3rd down, even at home, whether there was 1 yard to go or 25. Obviously he was fired. Don't see any immediate offers for him to take a job elsewhere.

Yep, it was Breske who forgot what coverage we were in, It was Breske who dropped interceptions, it was Breske who didn't break down and make a tackle. Putting all the blame on him is ridiculous, but consistent with much of your logic.

SDbison
12-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Yep, it was Breske who forgot what coverage we were in, It was Breske who dropped interceptions, it was Breske who didn't break down and make a tackle. Putting all the blame on him is ridiculous, but consistent with much of your logic.
Yeah, Wackoff you are the most brilliant guy here! :p

unbison
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM

Great game to watch!!
how was our pass blocking? didnt look good to me :hide:
we did have a special running back this year not sure if that is a product of good offensive line play or just a special running back

OrygunBison
12-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, Wackoff you are the most brilliant guy here! :p

More venom from you. How surprising...

56BISON73
12-14-2009, 02:59 AM
how was our pass blocking? didnt look good to me :hide:
we did have a special running back this year not sure if that is a product of good offensive line play or just a special running back

OJ Simpson didnt do squat until he got a good offensive line in front of him. PP wouldnt have the stats he did with out the boys up front.

SDbison
12-14-2009, 03:26 AM
More venom from you. How surprising...
So this comment from Wacker prior to my reply had no personal elements:
Putting all the blame on him is ridiculous, but consistent with much of your logic.
Calling much of the logic in my posts ridiculous is not a put down in your book? I will call you and others out here as long as you continue piling on me, not the instigator.

Castor Troy
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Any word on possible candidates outside of speculation? Lots of great possibilities were mentioned, but any solid leads?

OrygunBison
12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
So this comment from Wacker prior to my reply had no personal elements:
Putting all the blame on him is ridiculous, but consistent with much of your logic.
Calling much of the logic in my posts ridiculous is not a put down in your book? I will call you and others out here as long as you continue piling on me, not the instigator.

Meh... you're just consistently angry and there's just no arguing with that. Good thing that nobody takes your posts seriously.

SDbison
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Meh... you're just consistently angry and there's just no arguing with that. Good thing that nobody takes your posts seriously.
So, what do you have to offer Mr Dumas.

tjbison
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM

I agree for the most part with everything SD has said about the problems within, although I don't agree that I won't go to the games or buy tickets etc.. but then again I understand he also drives 500 miles roundtrip to see the "product", and I only have to rol about 6 to the tailgate!!1

GOB1SON
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
With all the expertise on Bisonville, I will be surprised if the new DC isn't one of the posters on here!

OrygunBison
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I agree for the most part with everything SD has said about the problems within, although I don't agree that I won't go to the games or buy tickets etc.. but then again I understand he also drives 500 miles roundtrip to see the "product", and I only have to rol about 6 to the tailgate!!1

I agree with a lot of it too. I just don't like all of the venom and personal attacks. It is just not needed and cuts into his whole point.

On the point of dedication to the program via miles to the game, I make it to a game or two a year usually (not this year because of the economy and my tight business...ugh) and I live about 1500 miles from Fargo. I don't think that earns me any rights. Road, what do you think???

56BISON73
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM

I drive 2000 miles round trip but that doesnt make me a better fan than you. (Just more unbalanced:D )
Either you are a fan or not a fan. There should be no strings attached. We all hate it when we lose and love it when we win. Its game.
Obviously some take this way too seriously.
If the outcome of the game greatly effects your personal happiness and well being you might want to rethink a few things.

Bisonfan1
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with a lot of it too. I just don't like all of the venom and personal attacks. It is just not needed and cuts into his whole point.

On the point of dedication to the program via miles to the game, I make it to a game or two a year usually (not this year because of the economy and my tight business...ugh) and I live about 1500 miles from Fargo. I don't think that earns me any rights. Road, what do you think???

In my opinion, it seems alot on here dont agree with some people's opinion and launch a personal attack, than the one with the first expressed opinion launches one back, and just like football, the second action gets caught/flagged on the play. Ask Pat Pashell about this. Alot of bickering on this board does provide for some great entertainment though. As far as a DC goes, I know nothing, but am frothing at the mouth to see who we get. I hope its someone who can bring a more aggresive style of defense back to NDSU.

bisonmike2
12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
With all the expertise on Bisonville, I will be surprised if the new DC isn't one of the posters on here!

I already turned it down. Too much travel in the off season for me. :)

Bison Dan
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Can't believe that anyone can defend Breske with the way our D played this year. It's his responsibility to have the players in the right scheme all the time. He has the players he just didn't get the job done.

Notorious
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I drive 2000 miles round trip but that doesnt make me a better fan than you. (Just more unbalanced:D )
Either you are a fan or not a fan. There should be no strings attached. We all hate it when we lose and love it when we win. Its game.
If the outcome of the game greatly effects your personal happiness and well being you might want to rethink a few things.

I travel roughly 24,859.73 miles "one way" to attend games. I take the long way....

BlueBisonRock
12-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I travel roughly 24,859.73 miles "one way" to attend games. I take the long way....

Next time take the Left turn.

OrygunBison
12-14-2009, 07:53 PM

You, my friend, are wise beyond your years.

Oh, wait a minute, you're old. I take that back. (J/K... Sorry for the personal attack. That was uncalled for...)

tjbison
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Guys I wasn't saying SD was any better or worse fan as you guys, I was just saying alot of his posts are Finacially charged and I understand its different for someone to support the team from a distance with the economy right now, buying season tickets and only making a couple games or 1 is different than me when I live In Fargo and have no reason NOT to go. And it makes it worse when the teams don't perform above a freshman level ;)

unbison
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Can't believe that anyone can defend Breske with the way our D played this year. It's his responsibility to have the players in the right scheme all the time. He has the players he just didn't get the job done.
Why can you not believe this......it is ultimately bohls responsibility and people stick up for him all the time!

OrygunBison
12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Guys I wasn't saying SD was any better or worse fan as you guys, I was just saying alot of his posts are Finacially charged and I understand its different for someone to support the team from a distance with the economy right now, buying season tickets and only making a couple games or 1 is different than me when I live In Fargo and have no reason NOT to go. And it makes it worse when the teams don't perform above a freshman level ;)

I fully understand your statement but respectfully disagree with you. I personally disengage my financial commitment to the team with my moral obligation to it. I would still go to games, even though they are struggling, if my pocketbook could support it. A fan is a fan is a fan, regardless of the weather.

Aside from the discussion of support or lack thereof, this has not been my problem. Clearly SD is a devoted, passionate fan. I just think that SD and a couple of the other guys could get their points (good points, often) across without being so venomous. It is one thing to say that the situation sucks. It is another thing altogether to say that players or coaches (or certain other fans) suck.

ndsubison1
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM

cough...bisonator... cough :hide: :D

Bison Dan
12-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Why can you not believe this......it is ultimately bohls responsibility and people stick up for him all the time!

Right and he did something about it.