PDA

View Full Version : Mac & Ndsu 2010

lakesbison
12-09-2009, 03:44 AM
MAC needs a 7th team BAD in their western division.

NDSU has already beaten Central Mich & Ball State.

Their Commish (Dr Jon) was the Summit Commish before the MAC, so he should have some knowledge of NDSU. NDSU would finish 6th out of the 14 teams with 18,000 attendence average. NDSU would be getting into the Chicago/Michigan area market, and the MAC would get into the much needed Minnesota market.

the MAC sent 3 teams to Bowls this year, 4 last year. Lets do this people, its time!

the Basketball and other sports would excel there as well.

ndsubison1
12-09-2009, 04:51 AM
that would be a lot of traveling

DjKyRo
12-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Not to mention we don't exactly have a dominant program right this moment. I realize you can't base that off of two off years but I would think we'd need to consistently prove we can compete in FCS to get an invite up.

As is, UNI or SIU would be a much more appealing prospect due to distances and tradition in FCS, IMHO. Not that I'd turn down a MAC invite if I were Gene/whoever-our-President-is/will be, that'd be kickass.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
We are witnessing the rise of other regional colleges moving to the FCS, much like when it started to happen with DII.

As far as recruiting as an FBS program...we would immediately become a much stronger magnet...exponentially. We'd have 3 & 4 star athletes visiting from the Twin Cities and surrounding areas. Many would leapfrog the FCS programs, and some would bypass MN.

I really believe that the FM area and NDSU supporters are up to this financially. There are big & deep pockets that would become even more accessible. Lincoln, Norman, Boise...hmmm.

Football is the driving force at NDSU. Right now...it's actually down a rung from the other sports in terms of how it sits in the DI formula. Something doesn't feel right about it.

I'm starting to drift toward this concept if the invitation came. The copycats are in the rearview mirror. I don't like the view.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
big deep pockets and we cant even get the good turf in the dome?

roadwarrior
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
big deep pockets and we cant even get the good turf in the dome?

Or a basketball arena?

stevdock
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Can we fast forward to next August yet so some of this talk can die down??

Gully
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
As I've said, we're not ready for this now but I do believe it will happen. People said I was crazy when I told them 7 years ago that some day we would beat Minnesota in football and then it happened (almost twice), faster than even this green and yellow koolaid drinker would have believed.

It will happen but we're going to need some large key donors. The BB arena AND BSA remodel are a must. Also, we need to be consistently selling out football games and have at least started talking/planning for a new fb stadium. I'd say it's 5 years out at an absolute minimum, more likely 10-15 years.

Nostragully

JacksFan06
12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Honestly, there isn't much difference in talent between the top half of the Missouri Valley compared to the MAC, WAC & Sun Belt.
As far as basketball goes, the Summit is also comparable to the MAC.

I guess the question is, would you rather be in a top level conference in FCS or a bottom feeder conference in the FBS?

Now if the Mountain West came calling that would be a different situation.

stevdock
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
What's the point of playing if you can't compete for a National Championship?? There are 5 undefeateds in FBS football this year. 2 get a shot at the Championship. Bison football tradition is all about winning National Championships. Until that gets resolved, I see absolutely no reason in moving up.

Plus people there is no money for a BSA remodel, where the heck are you going to get money to build a new basketball and new football arena??

SDbison
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
What's the point of playing if you can't compete for a National Championship?? There are 5 undefeateds in FBS football this year. 2 get a shot at the Championship. Bison football tradition is all about winning National Championships. Until that gets resolved, I see absolutely no reason in moving up.

Plus people there is no money for a BSA remodel, where the heck are you going to get money to build a new basketball and new football arena??
Because maybe one tenth of one percent of college football fans in America could give a rip about FCS football.......it gets about the same national media coverage as DII.
Any of the multitude of FBS bowl games brings in revenue (none for FCS championship game), and gets much more national media coverage (compared to FCS championship). It would only be proper that some day, hopefully soon, the Dakotas are represented at the highest level of college football. Anyone who has gone to the Ball State, Central Michigan, Minnesota, Wyoming and Iowa's State games knows how much more exciting these games are as compared to playing in FCS.
NDSU is a decent sized university that is growing and already enjoys better fan support than most FCS schools. The look and feeling on gameday in Fargo is closer to FBS thn FCS. I hope the recent struggles on and off the field along with Chapman leaving will not slow down an eventual move to FBS (Taylor and Chapman once said they were contemplating such a move).
Just because FCS has playoffs does not make it better. DII and NAIA have playoffs too.......who cares except for colleges involved andthe little towns around them.

bisonmike2
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM

have you seen the meineke car care bowl trophy? It's frosted glass! how awesome is that! Who wouldn't want to go undefeated in the MAC and have a shot at playing in front of nearly a 1/2 full stadium on christmas eve night on espn ocho.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/bc/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/833961.jpeg

/seriously, this school and our athletic department have bigger needs right now than increasing the budget another couple mill just to go to a bs bowl game.

Tatanka
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
/seriously, this school and our athletic department have bigger needs right now than increasing the budget another couple mill just to go to a bs bowl game.

This .

HerdBot
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Were already D1 in every other sport so were just talking about changing conferences and adding 20 more scholarships in football. By winning the mac we would be bowl eligible. CMU played purdue in a bowl game so that would be a big deal for us. I think the dome is good enough but all it would take is naming rights to build another BB arena. The Summit is probably an easier ticket to the tourney than the Mac. Would we have a transition period for football?

SDbison
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
The FCS playoff games are BS to 99.9% of all college football fans. Nobody cares except the teams involved.

SDbison
12-09-2009, 07:21 PM
have you seen the meineke car care bowl trophy? It's frosted glass! how awesome is that! Who wouldn't want to go undefeated in the MAC and have a shot at playing in front of nearly a 1/2 full stadium on christmas eve night on espn ocho.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/bc/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/833961.jpeg

So how full is that not so big stadium in Chatty for the FCS championship game......maybe 50% at best.

56BISON73
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
So how full is that not so big stadium in Chatty for the FCS championship game......maybe 50% at best.

Good point!!!!!

NDSUstudent
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
The MAC would never want NDSU, they are a regional conference and we are a long ways away from the core of the conference. If we ever go FBS the WAC is where it is at.

stevdock
12-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Actually it's been sold out for the last few years before last year. Last year it didn't quite fill out because Montana was in the game. The previous years it broke attendance records and they were actually thinking about expanding the stadium.

Bison bison
12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
The MAC would never want NDSU, they are a regional conference and we are a long ways away from the core of the conference. If we ever go FBS the WAC is where it is at.

it is also home to many institutional peers.

(have i posted this before???)

56BISON73
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Actually it's been sold out for the last few years before last year. Last year it didn't quite fill out because Montana was in the game. The previous years it broke attendance records and they were actually thinking about expanding the stadium.

According to this site the stadium only holds 20668. Yes they did sell out when Appy was playing but there are somew pretty low numbers before that.

http://www.collegecharlie.com/iaachamps.html

Twentysix
12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
18,079 avg attendance of the FCS Championship since its been in chatty.

Whats ndsu's attendance over the last like 4 years for home games? Its gotta be pretty close.

Why not just a new football stadium and then spend some money to make the FD more suitable for basketball?

Really all we need is a good football stadium, if we were FBS i really doubt we would have any problems selling out a 32,000 seat game.

The bigger opponets would thurst bison nation to new heights.

Getting SDSU to that level around the same time would probably make it alot easier. As has been said manytimes before we are alot more attractive toghether.

ILBISON
12-10-2009, 12:35 AM
heres what NDSU should do.

Aggressively push for the 7th team in the MACs western division.
enclose the corners of the fargodome (with ndsu engineering program, someone has to come up with a design to appease the fire code)
pushing the total capacity to 21,500-22.000. That would be consistantly sold out, and get a few games on ESPN thursday nights, lets believe in this people it can happen. no reason to stay in the fcs, no one cares about fcs!

DjKyRo
12-10-2009, 03:04 AM
heres what NDSU should do.

Aggressively push for the 7th team in the MACs western division.
enclose the corners of the fargodome (with ndsu engineering program, someone has to come up with a design to appease the fire code)
pushing the total capacity to 21,500-22.000. That would be consistantly sold out, and get a few games on ESPN thursday nights, lets believe in this people it can happen. no reason to stay in the fcs, no one cares about fcs!

hey like I said, I'd be stoked if it actually happened - we're talking bison tattoos and naming my firstborn Thundar, but I just can't see it happening at this point in time. Beyond a shadow of doubt we'll be FBS someday (hopefully not too far off ;)) but I think it's just too early and the program isn't where we want it to be, metaphorically or geographically speaking.

Bisonguy
12-10-2009, 03:05 AM
MAC Attack!

WYOBISONMAN
12-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Nothing is going to happen under an Interim President. We will essentially be spinning our wheels until a new President is on board. And......I sure as hell hope the guy has at least 1/2 of the drive, ambition and vision that Joe Chapman had.

4mcruenomore
12-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Nothing is going to happen under an Interim President. We will essentially be spinning our wheels until a new President is on board. And......I sure as hell hope the guy has at least 1/2 of the drive, ambition and vision that Joe Chapman had.

If anybody listened to the new president on Joel's show the other morning, NOTHING is gonna happen to ANYTHING anytime soon. We are over budget, people hate us, and this guy is laying low.

99Bison
12-10-2009, 04:22 AM
We need way more fan support to move anywhere, heck we need more fan support to stay competitive in DI where we are now. Basketball is where the money's at in DI, however football can do just fine for us.

By "fan support" I mean all of the FM area and parts of ND from a personal and business standpoint need to get behind NDSU, and sadly that's not going to be happening with the current situation/setup.

TheBisonator
12-10-2009, 06:35 AM
If anybody listened to the new president on Joel's show the other morning, NOTHING is gonna happen to ANYTHING anytime soon. We are over budget, UND hates us, and this guy is laying low.

Fixed it for you.

Twentysix
12-10-2009, 06:48 AM
We need way more fan support to move anywhere, heck we need more fan support to stay competitive in DI where we are now. Basketball is where the money's at in DI, however football can do just fine for us.

By "fan support" I mean all of the FM area and parts of ND from a personal and business standpoint need to get behind NDSU, and sadly that's not going to be happening with the current situation/setup.

Really? I find that quite difficult to believe. It doesnt take 5 million people to sellout 7 32,000 seat games. Once there are 32,000 butts in seats you will find all sorts of new companys wanting to get there hands on that advertising. 20,000 is pretty good advertising, but 12,000 more on that + a TV contract and being associated with a team known around the country and is the only big show in the region is a large incentive.

Hell Nebraskas selling what like almost 90,000 tickets a game and there state popluation is 1.8 million. We definetly have the population to support an FBS team from bismarck east to around St. Cloud. Believe you me if we were FBS alot of non NDSU related people would take interest.

And Nebraska has to fight off both Colorado both Kansas and Both Iowa fans
where as we have to deal with the gophers.

Wyoming is an even better example than nebraska but i wont elaborate on that one.

I'm not saying that its going to happen anytime soon. But we most certainly have the population to support it.

Playing basketball in the FD or a better newer arena would bolster that teams attendance. We have such a shitbox already and for decent games were pulling 4k+. If we had SDSU's arena that mother f%^$ would be full for every halfway decent opponent....

Just look at what the FD did for us.... 5-6 season followed by 3-8 season and we still were getting 15k+ to each game. If we had a football stadium that was comparable to our basketball stadium it would look worse than wagners crowds....

Again im not saying were going to go FBS soon, but the area defintely could support it. The area could probably support an NFL team that had a little venue. But of course NDSU would be squashed then and the growth would be done haha. Of course Souixfalls could probably do it better. :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If NDSU were located in bismarck i would agree with the above point there really isnt the population there. But fargo has a better population surrounding it.
Basketball does need to be milked for alot more money. Someone needs to convice microsoft that NDSU is very deserving of 2 new stadiums and there new hulu-esque livestreaming sports network(That doesnt exist!...yet).

NDSUstudent
12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
If anybody listened to the new president on Joel's show the other morning, NOTHING is gonna happen to ANYTHING anytime soon. We are over budget, people hate us, and this guy is laying low.

He is an interim president, his job is to lay low and make sure the campus is running smoothly. He isn't there to make huge decisions or do anything major.

99Bison
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Really? I find that quite difficult to believe. It doesnt take 5 million people to sellout 7 32,000 seat games. Once there are 32,000 butts in seats you will find all sorts of new companys wanting to get there hands on that advertising. 20,000 is pretty good advertising, but 12,000 more on that + a TV contract and being associated with a team known around the country and is the only big show in the region is a large incentive.

Hell Nebraskas selling what like almost 90,000 tickets a game and there state popluation is 1.8 million. We definetly have the population to support an FBS team from bismarck east to around St. Cloud. Believe you me if we were FBS alot of non NDSU related people would take interest.

And Nebraska has to fight off both Colorado both Kansas and Both Iowa fans
where as we have to deal with the gophers.

Wyoming is an even better example than nebraska but i wont elaborate on that one.

I'm not saying that its going to happen anytime soon. But we most certainly have the population to support it.

Playing basketball in the FD or a better newer arena would bolster that teams attendance. We have such a shitbox already and for decent games were pulling 4k+. If we had SDSU's arena that mother f%^$ would be full for every halfway decent opponent....

Just look at what the FD did for us.... 5-6 season followed by 3-8 season and we still were getting 15k+ to each game. If we had a football stadium that was comparable to our basketball stadium it would look worse than wagners crowds....

Again im not saying were going to go FBS soon, but the area defintely could support it. The area could probably support an NFL team that had a little venue. But of course NDSU would be squashed then and the growth would be done haha. Of course Souixfalls could probably do it better. :P

If NDSU were located in bismarck i would agree with the above point there really isnt the population there. But fargo has a better population surrounding it.
Basketball does need to be milked for alot more money. Someone needs to convice microsoft that NDSU is very deserving of 2 new stadiums and there new hulu-esque livestreaming sports network(That doesnt exist!...yet).

Ah, you missed my point. The point was that there needs to be more fan support not that there isn't enough people around to have enough fan support. In fact my point was attempting to point out exactly what you did but add that that fans are not being developed/fostered currently.

To go further, the problem with getting to 32k/8k seat filled stadiums, TV contracts, and to be know nationally is that those things don't happen first. First comes fan support so that you can have financial and true community support so that you can continuously grow, in order build new arenas, fund programs to win, get tv contracts, etc.

In other words, if you want to get bigger you really have to create the demand (fan support) to make it happen. This requires a long term plan and dedication to it not simply building a new arena and declaring yourself FBS.

So back to the original point, the point was that FBS, etc planning could be feasibly be happening since there's enough people around, but it is a longer term project and it certainly looks like fan development is not part of the current plan, thus FBS, etc does appear to be on the radar.

------------------

BTW, as a side note your Fargodome bolstering attendence example doesn't hold up very well, the population of area is probably 5x more than it was 30/40 years ago, the student population is 3x at least and you are getting 5k more sold tickets than actual attendence from those days. So really, there should already be 30-40k people in the stands. And honestly if we went and followed through to FBS like some people think we should have back then, there probably would be.

JSUBison
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
------------------

BTW, as a side note your Fargodome bolstering attendence example doesn't hold up very well, the population of area is probably 5x more than it was 30/40 years ago, the student population is 3x at least and you are getting 5k more sold tickets than actual attendence from those days. So really, there should already be 30-40k people in the stands. And honestly if we went and followed through to FBS like some people think we should have back then, there probably would be.

That right there is the ugly truth.

ILBISON
12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
build it and they will come.
Chapman wanted national recognition, im afraid the new president will be a pussy.

56BISON73
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Ah, you missed my point. The point was that there needs to be more fan support not that there isn't enough people around to have enough fan support. In fact my point was attempting to point out exactly what you did but add that that fans are not being developed/fostered currently.

To go further, the problem with getting to 32k/8k seat filled stadiums, TV contracts, and to be know nationally is that those things don't happen first. First comes fan support so that you can have financial and true community support so that you can continuously grow, in order build new arenas, fund programs to win, get tv contracts, etc.

In other words, if you want to get bigger you really have to create the demand (fan support) to make it happen. This requires a long term plan and dedication to it not simply building a new arena and declaring yourself FBS.

So back to the original point, the point was that FBS, etc planning could be feasibly be happening since there's enough people around, but it is a longer term project and it certainly looks like fan development is not part of the current plan, thus FBS, etc does appear to be on the radar.

------------------

Thank you. Ive made that point and asked the questions numerous times considering this subject but nobody had an explanation for it.
Again---thank you!!!!

A1pigskin
12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Bison needs to win a championship before going down this path.

tjbison
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM

------------------

Lack of planning when UNI, Montana, Montana St, Youngstown, etc. jumped screwed us. Just think were wew would be today if we would have jumped with those schools

SDbison
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM

------------------

Wrong! The FM area population about doubled in the past 30 to 40 years. 2x not 5x! As for student population during the same time it grew at about the same rate. 2x not 3x!
As for football fans.....about the same growth. NDSU averaged about 8K or 9K fans at the games 30 to 40 years ago. Now average attendance is about 16K to 18K. 2x

Mngriz
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
You bison fans are all delusional. Going to the MAC, right That's funny. I'm sure you would be able to put 32K in the stands when you go 1-10.

devin45k
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
You bison fans are all delusional. Going to the MAC, right That's funny. I'm sure you would be able to put 32K in the stands when you go 1-10.

None of their teams are able to put 32K in the stands, so STFU and troll somewhere else

tony
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM

I prefer to think that our vision is not hampered by realism. FWIW, I think NDSU would do OK in the MAC.

Mngriz
12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
None of their teams are able to put 32K in the stands, so STFU and troll somewhere else

I mean it makes perfect sense- all of their teams are in the same region, within a few hundred miles of each other. Then throw in Fargo :nod:

tjbison
12-10-2009, 09:21 PM
If we suck so bad and nobody cares about us why have the Griz fans ego's been brought over here lately???

ndsubison1
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
build it and they will come.
Chapman wanted national recognition, im afraid the new president will be a pussy.

try telling that to the goophers

HerdBot
12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Wrong! The FM area population about doubled in the past 30 to 40 years. 2x not 5x! As for student population during the same time it grew at about the same rate. 2x not 3x!
As for football fans.....about the same growth. NDSU averaged about 8K or 9K fans at the games 30 to 40 years ago. Now average attendance is about 16K to 18K. 2x

Here are the numbers.

We averaged 7-8 K in the 60's with the 2 Championships
Our numbers were similar in the 70's and early 80's when we were not as dominant
After we won the championship again in '83 we saw a big spike up to 12-14K although we all know they inflated the numbers back then.
Even in 2003 with an awful team we still drew over 10K
Since we jumped to D1, we've been between 13-18K

The difference is we're doing it without a UND game that's a guaranteed sellout every other year.

If we played them now it would boost our numbers again.

Now we average 16,515 with a bad year. In the D2 days it would have been 8-10K after a 3 win season and that's with UND at home to spike the numbers.

That is progress.

We can up the numbers but we need a UND game to help take it to the next level. I think we can sell out every game with some winning.

ATTENANCE

1965 7,240 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1966 6,480
1967 9,163
1968 8,704 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1969 10,475 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1970 7,580
1971 10,820
1972 8,200
1973 9,340
1974 5,421
1975 5,810
1976 6,242
1977 7,683
1978 7,563
1979 6,958
1980 6,960
1981 8,380
1982 9,530
1983 10,033 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1984 12,235
1985 12,960 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1986 12,253 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1987 14,120
1988 13,038 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1989 15,629
1990 9,962 NATIONAL CHAMPS
1991 10,726
1992 10,893
1993 14,988
1994 14,106
1995 11,855
1996 14,762
1997 12,512
1998 11,589
1999 11,410
2000 12,723
2001 12,115
2002 10,620
2003 11,567
2004 13,269
2005 14,160
2006 16,377
2007 18,141
2008 18,032
2009 16,515 (with a crap team)

TheBisonator
12-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Point of comparison with gabe's numbers: 1970 Cass/Clay counties pop. was about 115,000. 1980 it was 130,000. 1990 it was 152,000. 2000 it was 174,000. 2008, most recently, it was 196,000. 8,000-9,000 or so in the early 70's (120,000 maybe) to 16-18,000 at the end of the 2000's (almost 200,000). So the numbers synch up. So sorry to say PL and others, but your reasoning is based on flawed numbers.

Bison_Pride
12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't our football stadium need to hold at least 30K even to be considered eligible for FBS?

So why not plan an immediate expansion of the Fargodome? If we get some project estimates for about $900,000 we can have it funded by the NDSU Development Foundation.

BisoninNWMN
12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
With 85 schollies, like the MAC teams, we could easily compete in the MAC and be successful.

Should we do it??..........Good question.

It would be nice if the FFD was bigger!!

TheBisonator
12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't our football stadium need to hold at least 30K even to be considered eligible for FBS?

So why not plan an immediate expansion of the Fargodome? If we get some project estimates for about $900,000 we can have it funded by the NDSU Development Foundation.

There's no capacity requirement for FBS.

There's just a poorly-enforced rule that a team has to average 15,000 per game. Even with an ungodly horrible team, we meet that requirement. The Fargodome would still be the 2nd smallest stadium in the FBS as it stands right now (and smallest once Idaho expands the Kibbie Dome to 20,000), so either there would have to be upper decks added somehow, or build a new bigger outdoor stadium. A Fargodome with a current capacity of 19,287 wouldn't work well for us in FBS.

Thanks, Mayor John Lindgren.

Notorious
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
There's no capacity requirement for FBS.

There's just a poorly-enforced rule that a team has to average 15,000 per game. Even with an ungodly horrible team, we meet that requirement. The Fargodome would still be the 2nd smallest stadium in the FBS as it stands right now (and smallest once Idaho expands the Kibbie Dome to 20,000), so either there would have to be upper decks added somehow, or build a new bigger outdoor stadium. A Fargodome with a current capacity of 19,287 wouldn't work well for us in FBS.

Thanks, Mayor John Lindgren.

....for more then just that....he was an "insert derogatory name".

bisonmike2
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
....for more then just that....he was an "insert derogatory name".

he was my economics professor and yes he was a <derogatory name>. According to him, no municipality should ever build a public sports facility...ever. I wonder what he thinks about all the positive economic impact statements that have come out about the Fargodome?

tony
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
he was my economics professor and yes he was a <derogatory name>. According to him, no municipality should ever build a public sports facility...ever. I wonder what he thinks about all the positive economic impact statements that have come out about the Fargodome?

Well, I'm with him - I hate it when cities build stadiums for a pro franchises without a clear mandate from the voters. The FargoDome had a huge mandate from the voters - so that's a difference right there. College facilities are also different because the teams don't have the leverage of threatening to move every five to ten years. Besides, the FargoDome is only an NDSU facility about 30 days a year. If NDSU goes outdoors, no way should the city of Fargo chip in because the city of Fargo would get no use from the thing. The only way that would be

99Bison
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Um, at that those "growth" rates, there is zero chance at being anything competive at FBS, ever.

56BISON73
12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Point of comparison with gabe's numbers: 1970 Cass/Clay counties pop. was about 115,000. 1980 it was 130,000. 1990 it was 152,000. 2000 it was 174,000. 2008, most recently, it was 196,000. 8,000-9,000 or so in the early 70's (120,000 maybe) to 16-18,000 at the end of the 2000's (almost 200,000). So the numbers synch up. So sorry to say PL and others, but your reasoning is based on flawed numbers.

In 1970 there were 120,000 plus change in Fargo Morehead. In 1973 the Bison drew 10,000 a game. In 2009 there is supposedly 250,000 people in the FM area and the Bison drew what 16,000 plus a game. So over the course of 36 years weve only gained 6,000+ fans a game. or use 2008 which gives you a gain of only 8,000 in 35 years. Then try to figure our what percentage of those fans actually travel from outside the area.
That is the issue. If you cant get better support than that how do you think FBS is going to be funded?

Bison bison
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM

He later admitted he was wrong about the Dome...

DjKyRo
12-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Why go MAC when we can just go Big 10/11?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

tjbison
12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Why go MAC when we can just go Big 10/11?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

because we don't have Hockey!! WI and MN want out of the WCHA BAD and they will only admit a school to the B10 that includes hockey then the ECHA and WCHA will be nothing in the "DI" hockey world!!!!

wow i'm starting to sound like MPLSBISON:hide: but I know a few Gopher Hockey freaks and this is what they are saying

Herd
12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
because we don't have Hockey!! WI and MN want out of the WCHA BAD and they will only admit a school to the B10 that includes hockey then the ECHA and WCHA will be nothing in the "DI" hockey world!!!!

wow i'm starting to sound like MPLSBISON:hide: but I know a few Gopher Hockey freaks and this is what they are saying

No, MN has stated publically that they want to remain in the WCHA, and that the current structure is best for DI hockey. WI and Barry Alverez were outspoken about a BT Hockey conference. WI on OH St. were leading the charge for BT hockey, not MN.

NWNDBison
12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Besides, the FargoDome is only an NDSU facility about 30 days a year.

Oh? I didn't realize Coach Bohl and his staff were kicked out of the FargoDome offices after football season. Where do they set up shop then?

Seriously, Tony, I know what you're getting at--actual use of the stadium. But the NDSU football offices are a part of the FargoDome, correct?

It's also interesting that so many people on this board dis the FargoDome when much of the media I read outside of the region considers the FargoDome one of the elite FCS football facilities.

NWNDBison
12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
No, MN has stated publically that they want to remain in the WCHA, and that the current structure is best for DI hockey. WI and Barry Alverez were outspoken about a BT Hockey conference. WI on OH St. were leading the charge for BT hockey, not MN.

I don't know about the public statement, but I do know that to make a Big Ten Hockey Conference they would have to include teams like the Indiana Hoosiers, a University that now only has Club Hockey like NDSU. Granted, the Hoosiers beat NDSU 3-1 and 7-3, but Dakota State at Bottineau (a two-year Jr. college) came in and beat the Hoosiers 5-0 the next day. Minot State (ranked #10 ACHA Hockey) didn't play Indiana, but beat the Bison last night 9-1 and split against DSC-Bottineau this past week.

DSC-Bottineau and Minot State are competitive teams at their level, but they certainly couldn't compete in the WCHA.

NWNDBison
12-12-2009, 04:47 PM

ECHA and WCHA teams will be NOTHING? First of all, you must mean CCHA when you say ECHA, because the ECHA has no Big 10 teams. CCHA includes Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Indiana and Illinois are DI Club Hockey, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa and Northwestern are DII Club Hockey.

How are the loss of #11 Wisconsin (WCHA), unranked Minn (WCHA), #14 Michigan State (CCHA), and unranked Michigan and Ohio State (CCHA) going to mean the WCHA and CCHA will be NOTHING? Granted, Michigan State is the highest ranked CCHA team. But the WCHA still has Denver #2, UND #3, Colorado College #6, ahead of #11 Wisconsin, the highest ranked Big 10 team.

USCHO Poll Dec. 7, 2009

CCHA 1 Miami (36) 11-2-5 977 1
WCHA 2 Denver (11) 10-4-2 956 2
WCHA 3 North Dakota 9-5-2 860 3
4 Bemidji State ( 2) 13-2-1 843 5
5 Cornell ( 1) 7-2-2 756 7
WCHA 6 Colorado College 10-4-2 726 6
7 Quinnipiac 12-3-0 635 4
8 Yale 7-3-2 606 10
9 Mass.-Lowell 9-5-1 578 8
10 Boston College 8-3-2 542 15
WCHA 11 Wisconsin 10-5-1 489 16
WCHA 12 Minnesota-Duluth 10-5-1 438 12
13 Ferris State 11-3-2 419 17
CCHA 14 Michigan State 10-6-2 399 11
15 Massachusetts 9-5-0 383 9
CCHA 16 Alaska 8-4-4 233 12
WCHA 17 St. Cloud State 8-6-2 194 20
CCHA 18 Notre Dame 7-7-4 127 14
19 New Hampshire 7-6-3 112 NR
20 Union

Here's how the Big 10 Hockey Conference would shape up now:

#10 Wisconsin (WCHA)
#14 Michigan State (CCHA)
Unranked Minnesota (WCHA)
Unranked Michigan (CCHA)
Unranked Ohio State (CCHA)
ACHA DI #4 Illinois
ACHA DI #26 Indiana (All teams here and below are presumably beatable by ACHA DI #10 Minot State and NJCAA #1 DSC-Bottineau, and ACHA DI #45 NDSU could probably beat the bottom feeders)
ACHA DII Iowa
ACHA DII Northwestern
ACHA DII Penn State
ACHA DII Purdue

Granted, the top 5 would make a decent conference, but the bottom 6 would be a hindrance to rankings of the top 5 once conference play begins. Scores would be like 11-0. A Big 10 Hockey Conference at this time would be suicide for the higher level teams.

Your Gopher Hockey Freaks are sadly mistaken, my friend.

tjbison
12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
ECHA and WCHA teams will be NOTHING? First of all, you must mean CCHA when you say ECHA, because the ECHA has no Big 10 teams. CCHA includes Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Indiana and Illinois are DI Club Hockey, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa and Northwestern are DII Club Hockey.

How are the loss of #11 Wisconsin (WCHA), unranked Minn (WCHA), #14 Michigan State (CCHA), and unranked Michigan and Ohio State (CCHA) going to mean the WCHA and CCHA will be NOTHING? Granted, Michigan State is the highest ranked CCHA team. But the WCHA still has Denver #2, UND #3, Colorado College #6, ahead of #11 Wisconsin, the highest ranked Big 10 team.

USCHO Poll Dec. 7, 2009

8 Yale 7-3-2 606 10
20 Union

#10 Wisconsin (WCHA)
Unranked Michigan (CCHA)
ACHA DI #4 Illinois
ACHA DI #26 Indiana (All teams here and below are presumably beatable by ACHA DI #10 Minot State and NJCAA #1 DSC-Bottineau, and ACHA DI #45 NDSU could probably beat the bottom feeders)
ACHA DII Iowa
ACHA DII Northwestern
ACHA DII Penn State
ACHA DII Purdue

Granted, the top 5 would make a decent conference, but the bottom 6 would be a hindrance to rankings of the top 5 once conference play begins. Scores would be like 11-0. A Big 10 Hockey Conference at this time would be suicide for the higher level teams.

sorry yes I typed the ECHA by mistake, also if you think the lure of playing in the WCHA would be better or equal to playing in a Big10 Hockey conference I believe your mistaken IMO. UND would lose alot of luster losing two big name schools in WI and MN

NWNDBison
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
sorry yes I typed the ECHA by mistake, also if you think the lure of playing in the WCHA would be better or equal to playing in a Big10 Hockey conference I believe your mistaken IMO. UND would lose alot of luster losing two big name schools in WI and MN

I agree. It would hurt. And I found a link to the Big 10 Hockey Conference possibilities that talked about FINANCES. UND and the Colorado colleges would be the leaders, but finances would make a difference. It's just incredibly presumptuous that Gopher fans would glower in financially ruining the CCHA and WCHA. And that's not a given. It would be a factor.

Herd
12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know about the public statement, but I do know that to make a Big Ten Hockey Conference they would have to include teams like the Indiana Hoosiers, a University that now only has Club Hockey like NDSU. Granted, the Hoosiers beat NDSU 3-1 and 7-3, but Dakota State at Bottineau (a two-year Jr. college) came in and beat the Hoosiers 5-0 the next day. Minot State (ranked #10 ACHA Hockey) didn't play Indiana, but beat the Bison last night 9-1 and split against DSC-Bottineau this past week.

DSC-Bottineau and Minot State are competitive teams at their level, but they certainly couldn't compete in the WCHA.

Huh? No, you wouldn't include Indiana in a Hockey conference if they weren't DI. Not sure what you're talking about. If they need 6 teams, they either have 6 DI teams or bring in affiliate members.

Like I said, it won't happen soon because Maturi and MN don't support, at least in recent reports.

Twentysix
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.offtopic.com/

lol...hockey i thought this was football talk....take your satanic sports and go back to grand forks.

umdbulldogs
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
MAC needs a 7th team BAD in their western division.

NDSU has already beaten Central Mich & Ball State.

Their Commish (Dr Jon) was the Summit Commish before the MAC, so he should have some knowledge of NDSU. NDSU would finish 6th out of the 14 teams with 18,000 attendence average. NDSU would be getting into the Chicago/Michigan area market, and the MAC would get into the much needed Minnesota market.

the MAC sent 3 teams to Bowls this year, 4 last year. Lets do this people, its time!

the Basketball and other sports would excel there as well.

i think its pretty weak that ndsu has yet to prove they can do anything in fcs and now you want to jump to fbs? could you imagine making the jump right now with the team you have? i would assume you would want to develop a winning program in the fcs level so that way when/if you did have the opportunity to make a bigger jump you would have a chance at getting some better talent into the program so the transistion is smooth. as of right now-if ndsu decided to jump up i think it would be tough as hell to bring in the horses to actually be a competitive team. all these mid major schools can compete for a game or 2 with the major conference schools but depth would be a huge factor to do it on a weekly basis. ndsu doenst have the depth to make that jump and be a success until they can start winning consistently. make the playoffs and do it on a consistant basis-the mac etc doesnt want to bring in a new member who is winning 3-6 games a year

tjbison
12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
i think its pretty weak that ndsu has yet to prove they can do anything in fcs and now you want to jump to fbs? could you imagine making the jump right now with the team you have? i would assume you would want to develop a winning program in the fcs level so that way when/if you did have the opportunity to make a bigger jump you would have a chance at getting some better talent into the program so the transistion is smooth. as of right now-if ndsu decided to jump up i think it would be tough as hell to bring in the horses to actually be a competitive team. all these mid major schools can compete for a game or 2 with the major conference schools but depth would be a huge factor to do it on a weekly basis. ndsu doenst have the depth to make that jump and be a success until they can start winning consistently. make the playoffs and do it on a consistant basis-the mac etc doesnt want to bring in a new member who is winning 3-6 games a year

I love how we cannot compete LOL, anybody watch the Montana Appy game and see the little ESPN graphic put up before kickoff about the Winningest FCS programs since 2004 or 05 Appy, Montana, NDSU, and the CAA but no we can't compete 3 FBS wins under our belt, go hang out on the DII boards afterall you didn't compete in DII till the Dakotas left!!

Grizzled
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
UND would lose alot of luster losing two big name schools in WI and MN

I don't know what to think about the Big 10 starting their own 6 team conference. I don't follow hockey all that close but I don't think the WCHA will be hurting all that bad since now the the Big 10 teams only have 5 conference teams they are going to be looking for games in a bad way. UND, St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth would still get these teams on thier schedule on a regular basis. A question though would be what if all the other schools didn't schedule these teams, we've seen it before. What would these teams do than if they only played each other and the weaker teams in D1? Do they have a strength of schedule? I don't know but I really think with having to schedule more games these teams would still schedule UND.

Ok enough hockey talk. What does this have to do with the Mac & NDSU in 2010 anyways? :D

umdbulldogs
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I love how we cannot compete LOL, anybody watch the Montana Appy game and see the little ESPN graphic put up before kickoff about the Winningest FCS programs since 2004 or 05 Appy, Montana, NDSU, and the CAA but no we can't compete 3 FBS wins under our belt, go hang out on the DII boards afterall you didn't compete in DII till the Dakotas left!!

how many years have you made the playoffs? your 3-3 vs fbs, when you guys are 3-10 vs fbs will you guys still talk about beating the goofers? be honest, ndsu hasnt done anything the few years. i assumed after the transistion with the two 10-1 season i assumed your recruiting would explode with rock star players and the d2 domincance would be back in fargo-but for some reason bohl and the bizon have gotten pretty bad. but your right, ndsu should be considered a "fcs winning program" since they have been so good since they have ben eligible. quit lying to yourself, if you have a 3 win and a 6 win season after the 10-1's...bohl should be fired already

NorthernBison
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM

I saw that graphic. I think it was most wins since 2001 or 2001. A bit confusing because it had NORTH DAKOTA at #3 and used a NDSU logo. Hmmm....

lakesbison
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
reason # 23452345 to NOT schedule UND and LET THEM DIE, to get rid of the stupid assumptions of the rest of the country and not knowing which north dakota school is which.

ridiculous, let them die off if they cant keep up!

Bison Dan
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
how many years have you made the playoffs? your 3-3 vs fbs, when you guys are 3-10 vs fbs will you guys still talk about beating the goofers? be honest, ndsu hasnt done anything the few years. i assumed after the transistion with the two 10-1 season i assumed your recruiting would explode with rock star players and the d2 domincance would be back in fargo-but for some reason bohl and the bizon have gotten pretty bad. but your right, ndsu should be considered a "fcs winning program" since they have been so good since they have ben eligible. quit lying to yourself, if you have a 3 win and a 6 win season after the 10-1's...bohl should be fired already

I see you must be a grad of umd by the way you write. For a program that had one good year in a 100 you must be proud. Stay home and watch your so so hockey team.

Notorious
12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I see you must be a grad of umd by the way you write. For a program that had one good year in a 100 you must be proud. Stay home and watch your so so hockey team.

D-I Hockey.....!

umdbulldogs
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM

hahaha this is a msg board nothing more nothing less. make fun of every school in the country that isnt ndsu. didnt think i said anything about duluth being better in athletics, i will check hold on...nope never compared ndsu with umd. why is it when anyone on this board says wait and see many of you jump all over them? i think what my question/statement was went something like:
how can ndsu fans think about pushing themselves to a fbs program when they havent won when it has mattered in fcs? seems to me that most schools with a history of ndsu's who has decided to become a larger program would first win at d2(no question there ndsu was quite dominant), fcs(ndsu hasnt even been close to the playoffs yet, im willing to bet they are minimum 2 years away from fcs playoffs), then fbs.
boy what a stupid thought process from my crappy school in duluth. thank god we have hockey to explain why i'm a moron. i already graduated from duluth and no longer attend-i now go to school in that dump of minneapolis where i can get a top 30 education in a certain program that i dont need to brag to you about. i grew up near moorhead and have always followed ndsu's football program. i apologize if im a bit more cynical then others. dont forget im a big gopher fan and ndsu was kind of like my local flavor!
some of the ppl in the ndsu fanbase are wild...get over yourselves!

tony
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
i think what my question/statement was went something like:
how can ndsu fans think about pushing themselves to a fbs program when they havent won when it has mattered in fcs? seems to me that most schools with a history of ndsu's who has decided to become a larger program would first win at d2(no question there ndsu was quite dominant), fcs(ndsu hasnt even been close to the playoffs yet, im willing to bet they are minimum 2 years away from fcs playoffs), then fbs.

Let me start by saying that I can't stand it when Bison fans rip on a team just because a supposed fan of that team comes over and acts like a jerk. It's bush league to sink to that level unless you can be funny about it. I'll take the opposite approach and try to raise your level of understanding about NDSU.

FBS Check List (the sine quibus non)
1. NDSU must have more than adequate funding to support the move.
2. NDSU must have an administration that whole-heartedly backs the move.
3. NDSU must secure an invitation to a suitable conference.

Things that would be nice but unnecessary
1. Big crowds.
2. Winning a lot games in FCS.

The fatal flaws in your argument is that you don't think NDSU should move up because they haven't won anything that mattered (to you) since moving to DI. Well, first of all, NDSU has won some games that clearly mattered quite a bit to Bison fans and casual followers (I mean, NDSU beating the Gophers hit North Dakota like a freaking earthquake, after all.) Second, NDSU didn't do much of anything in men's basketball in D2 and yet, somehow, made the tourney - something that, like the Gopher win, rocked the people who matter to NDSU to their core.

Facts
12-15-2009, 01:20 AM

Buddy, I've told you this already, the B10 wants to add a team for football's sake, not hockey. Anything hockey about that future school is a bonus.

Facts
12-15-2009, 01:29 AM

USCHO Poll Dec. 7, 2009

8 Yale 7-3-2 606 10
20 Union

#10 Wisconsin (WCHA)
Unranked Michigan (CCHA)
ACHA DI #4 Illinois
ACHA DII Iowa
ACHA DII Northwestern
ACHA DII Penn State
ACHA DII Purdue

:offtopic:
I have no idea how a 6 team B10 hockey conference would work, but I've heard that it's in the B10 bylaws that if a sixth B10 school adds D1 hockey then the hockey part of the B10 forms (I have no citation). The B10 would like to add Notre Dame (hockey school) and I've heard that at Indiana there is a serious push to add the sport.
Also, I understand that Minn, Mich, and Ohio St. are unranked right now, but most years Minn, Mich, Mich St, and Wisc are all ranked and fairly high. Ohio St. has even had some success in recent years. A B10 hockey conference has the core schools necessary to be great already. It's only a matter of time.

Da_Bizon
12-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I, for one, never want to move up. Even if we were in the MAC, what is that going to accomplish? We go to the Little Caesar's Bowl every year? Call me crazy, but I like the thought of having a chance at the national championship. If we moved up, we'd get a little more money- that's about it. When has anyone from the MAC ever been a contender? Let's worry about establishing ourselves in D-1AA before we entertain this dumb idea of getting our asses kicked on another level.

ndsubison1
12-15-2009, 02:33 AM
hahaha this is a msg board nothing more nothing less. make fun of every school in the country that isnt ndsu. didnt think i said anything about duluth being better in athletics, i will check hold on...nope never compared ndsu with umd. why is it when anyone on this board says wait and see many of you jump all over them? i think what my question/statement was went something like:
boy what a stupid thought process from my crappy school in duluth. thank god we have hockey to explain why i'm a moron. i already graduated from duluth and no longer attend-i now go to school in that dump of minneapolis where i can get a top 30 education in a certain program that i dont need to brag to you about. i grew up near moorhead and have always followed ndsu's football program. i apologize if im a bit more cynical then others. dont forget im a big gopher fan and ndsu was kind of like my local flavor!
some of the ppl in the ndsu fanbase are wild...get over yourselves!

since when was florida international and florida atlantic winning in fcs before they went fbs? and i can tell you they're better off because of it

ndsubison1
12-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I, for one, never want to move up. Even if we were in the MAC, what is that going to accomplish? We go to the Little Caesar's Bowl every year? Call me crazy, but I like the thought of having a chance at the national championship. If we moved up, we'd get a little more money- that's about it. When has anyone from the MAC ever been a contender? Let's worry about establishing ourselves in D-1AA before we entertain this dumb idea of getting our asses kicked on another level.

id prefer a couple of games on the espn networks and a guaranteed game on a national network for a bowl... plus a shot at winning big money for our program... eventually try to build our recruiting base and program and who knows where we could end up maybe we could be the next boise state or tcu :D

Da_Bizon
12-15-2009, 02:49 AM
id prefer a couple of games on the espn networks and a guaranteed game on a national network for a bowl... plus a shot at winning big money for our program... eventually try to build our recruiting base and program and who knows where we could end up maybe we could be the next boise state or tcu :D

First off... the semifinals and championship games for 1-aa are on ESPN and ESPN2... along with a couple of other games on ESPNU. Secondly, look at how Boise gets screwed every year. They go undefeated, and, because they have a crap conference, they're never going to the national title game. Sure they have a helluva showing in the Fiesta Bowl every other year... but that's it. I want to hang some big ass championship banners in the dome some day. That will never happen in 1-A football.

tjbison
12-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Buddy, I've told you this already, the B10 wants to add a team for football's sake, not hockey. Anything hockey about that future school is a bonus.

Buddy that was soooo 2 days ago:hide:

ndsubison1
12-15-2009, 03:02 AM
First off... the semifinals and championship games for 1-aa are on ESPN and ESPN2

those arent guranteed... we would get way more exposure in fbs. i would actually prefer to win a no-name bowl over the fcs championship. winning the fcs championship is like winning the nit for college bball, nobody really cares

Da_Bizon
12-15-2009, 03:23 AM
those arent guranteed... we would get way more exposure in fbs. i would actually prefer to win a no-name bowl over the fcs championship. winning the fcs championship is like winning the nit for college bball, nobody really cares

They aren't guaranteed... unless you are a program like Appalachian State or Montana... where they are in one of those games every year. Let's focus on building a program like that now. It seems like some people are putting the cart before the horse. We've been an playoff eligible team for one year now. Let's look at how much everyone turned on NDSU with the record we had this year. I'm not going to lie, we aren't even close to a level where we could have a winning record in 1-A football right now. Maybe in the future.. but let's also look at schools like Western Kentucky. They were a power in 1-AA, now they are the laughing stock of the Sun Belt. This conversation might be justified in 20 years, but let's worry about winning some games in the division we're in for now.

Facts
12-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Buddy that was soooo 2 days ago:hide:

Ol' Pal ;) , I'm just saying when the big ten releases a statement about wanting another team for football so they're at 12 for a 6x6 Big12 style format with a championship game insert run on preposition here. It means they want to add another team for football's sake. Hockey aint got nothing to do with it. But a B10 hockey conf may still be a byproduct of the football addition. If that happens and there's vacancy in the WCHA, maybe... oh, I forgot... nevermind.

ndsubison1
12-16-2009, 02:30 AM
They aren't guaranteed... unless you are a program like Appalachian State or Montana... where they are in one of those games every year. Let's focus on building a program like that now. It seems like some people are putting the cart before the horse. We've been an playoff eligible team for one year now. Let's look at how much everyone turned on NDSU with the record we had this year. I'm not going to lie, we aren't even close to a level where we could have a winning record in 1-A football right now. Maybe in the future.. but let's also look at schools like Western Kentucky. They were a power in 1-AA, now they are the laughing stock of the Sun Belt. This conversation might be justified in 20 years, but let's worry about winning some games in the division we're in for now.

Florida international and florida atlantic were terrible in fcs but they moved up and are better because of it... Atlantic has made a bowl two of the last three years... If ndsu had the budget to jump to fbs now i would support it

Bisonguy
12-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Florida international and florida atlantic were terrible in fcs but they moved up and are better because of it... Atlantic has made a bowl two of the last three years... If ndsu had the budget to jump to fbs now i would support it

FAU and FIU haven't had football teams for a decade yet (started football in 2001 and 2002 respectively). FCS was merely a quick stepping stone in the creation of their FBS football programs.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2009, 03:42 AM

And didn't Southern Florida basically do a hop-skip and a jump without interference from the NCAA? They were nothing not too long ago. Not arguing...just throwing this name in to add to your post. I totally agree with what you wrote. I suppose the argument could be made that they exist in a football hotbed as far as recruiting.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2009, 04:14 AM
If, by some freak of nature, the Big Ten came calling with the opportunity to be a part of a 6-team western division...we jump. Same would apply to another FBS conference.

Here is my take on it:

We've seen UND and USD make the move up to the FCS. Those are two new regional competitors for recruits. I'd bet money that St. Cloud, Mankato, UMD, and other regional DII schools would love to make the FCS move.

It is my opinion that once St. Cloud & Mankato entered the DII/NCC mix...recruiting eventually became more difficult. It slowly ate away at our dominance in the region. There were many other factors involved, such as the number of scholarships allowed, etc.

It's my belief that Fargo could be an FBS city and that the money is there. Can anyone imagine having Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and a few other names like that coming to town?

Build the stadium. Bring outdoor football back to Fargo. Don't bank on the FBS move. Concern ourselves with building a football program that could play at any level. Does anyone think that App. State and Montana couldn't compete in the FBS if they added the schollies for more depth and maybe a few bigger, quicker guys? Isn't Fargo like a Lincoln, Norman, Boise, etc?

It's the caliber of football...not just trophies.

DjKyRo
12-16-2009, 04:18 AM
In following with what CBF said, I think that IF the Big Ten would come knocing (which I personally think has a near-infinitesimal chance of happening when compared to the chances of Notre Dame, Cincinatti, Syracuse, etc.), the community and region would respond - money would definitely start showing up and we could kickstart a new BSA and a new football stadium. The interest has died down, but NDSU moving to one of the premier athletic conferences in the nation? Getting national exposure with huge competition? The money would fly out of the woodworks.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-16-2009, 06:12 AM

slick loves the NIT.....srsly!!!

I'd rather go through a playoff system then play in a gay ass bowl game who cares if people don't watch us, we care about our team and that's what matters!!!!

Tatanka
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
In following with what CBF said, I think that IF the Big Ten would come knocing (which I personally think has a near-infinitesimal chance of happening when compared to the chances of Notre Dame, Cincinatti, Syracuse, etc.), the community and region would respond - money would definitely start showing up and we could kickstart a new BSA and a new football stadium. The interest has died down, but NDSU moving to one of the premier athletic conferences in the nation? Getting national exposure with huge competition? The money would fly out of the woodworks.

You said infinitesimal. :D

And I say that is a gross overestimation... :D

GOB1SON
12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
You said infinitesimal. :D

And I say that is a gross overestimation... :D

Have you met my next wife?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc37b3127ccef8b474631de600000030O00QZNGrRszbsQ e3nwU/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

TheBisonator
12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Have you met my next wife?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc37b3127ccef8b474631de600000030O00QZNGrRszbsQ e3nwU/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

About 15 percent of her areola is showing, which makes for genius photography. :D

bleedbison
12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
If, by some freak of nature, the Big Ten came calling with the opportunity to be a part of a 6-team western division...we jump. Same would apply to another FBS conference.

Here is my take on it:

We've seen UND and USD make the move up to the FCS. Those are two new regional competitors for recruits. I'd bet money that St. Cloud, Mankato, UMD, and other regional DII schools would love to make the FCS move.

It is my opinion that once St. Cloud & Mankato entered the DII/NCC mix...recruiting eventually became more difficult. It slowly ate away at our dominance in the region. There were many other factors involved, such as the number of scholarships allowed, etc.

It's my belief that Fargo could be an FBS city and that the money is there. Can anyone imagine having Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and a few other names like that coming to town?

Build the stadium. Bring outdoor football back to Fargo. Don't bank on the FBS move. Concern ourselves with building a football program that could play at any level. Does anyone think that App. State and Montana couldn't compete in the FBS if they added the schollies for more depth and maybe a few bigger, quicker guys? Isn't Fargo like a Lincoln, Norman, Boise, etc?

It's the caliber of football...not just trophies.

sure would be great to be asked to join the big ten but its a pipe dream. we dont have a lot of the requirements those schools have, besides that im guessing they would want to make this happen in the next 1-2 years. there is no way ndsu could put together the funding for a new football and basketball stadium during the same time so we could have facilities that the big ten would approve of. but...if we could make it all happen in the next year we would be boneheads to not try and become the next big 10 school.

TheBisonator
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
sure would be great to be asked to join the big ten but its a pipe dream. we dont have a lot of the requirements those schools have, besides that im guessing they would want to make this happen in the next 1-2 years. there is no way ndsu could put together the funding for a new football and basketball stadium during the same time so we could have facilities that the big ten would approve of. but...if we could make it all happen in the next year we would be boneheads to not try and become the next big 10 school.

I just did a post in the other Big 10 thread showing that it would take us a TON of money and resources just to meet the Big 10's minimum requirements. I think the ultimate goal should be a Mountain West type of conference, not the Big 10.