roadwarrior
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Sun Dec 13th at 1pm the Bison will meet the following 3 teams at the BSA:

Northern Illinois
Oregon State
Moorhead State

onbison09
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
That's some great competition for the boys. You want to make it to that one.

BisoninNWMN
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Oregon State really stuck it to the Bison........really not a shock.

Bison should be beating the Northern Illinois type teams.....but fielding teams with fresh and sophs every year makes it very hard to compete with other mid-range D1 teams.

At least, IMO, we should win at least 1 or 2 matches against an OSU type team and not get stuck or majored in almost every match.

roadwarrior
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Bison should be beating the Northern Illinois type teams.....but fielding teams with fresh and sophs every year makes it very hard to compete with other mid-range D1 teams.

Hard to beat them when we spot them 6 points with a forfeit at 133.

BisoninNWMN
12-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Don't we have more than 1 133 lb guy????

Getting smoked 40ish to 0 is unacceptable.....either getting stuck or majored in every match.....:hide:

There must be someone out there that follows the wrestling program......What is the problem??

onbison09
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Don't we have more than 1 133 lb guy????

Getting smoked 40ish to 0 is unacceptable.....either getting stuck or majored in every match.....:hide:

There must be someone out there that follows the wrestling program......What is the problem??

Meh recruiting. :hide:

BisoninNWMN
12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Wrestling is obviously not very high on the food chain.

Maybe Bucky is not cut out for D1 wrestling recruiting.....:confused: :confused: :confused:

The wrestling team has had 5 yrs of tourney el and has produced 2-3 qualifiers that have not won a match.

Smaller schools like Cal Poly and Cornell have had wrestlers win NCs in the last few yrs.

I'm not saying the Bison should have NC every year but at least field a competitive team that doesn't get skunked by a top 20 team. SDSU has a guy that will probably be an All-American this year; along with UNC having multiple top 20 guys this year.

Bison55
12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I think recruiting is a part of the issue but not the main problem.

When you look at the recruits they all have very impressive high school records, and most are state champions.

I think where recruiting falls short is they don't get a lot of wrestlers from areas other than ND, MN, and Montana.

It's tough to understand how a kid coming out of high school as a 2-3 time state champ with a record of like 150-10 can't compete after 4 years of D1 experience. it's a head scratcher!:confused:

BisoninNWMN
12-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I think recruiting is a part of the issue but not the main problem.

When you look at the recruits they all have very impressive high school records, and most are state champions.

I think where recruiting falls short is they don't get a lot of wrestlers from areas other than ND, MN, and Montana.

It's tough to understand how a kid coming out of high school as a 2-3 time state champ with a record of like 150-10 can't compete after 4 years of D1 experience. it's a head scratcher!:confused:

Good points!!!

There are not many D1 wrestling programs out there and with the cadet and junior nationals here in Fargo every year, you would think we could draw kids from all over the country.

When I went to NDSU, I loved the Bison wrestling matches.....esp against UND. Not many people there but I'm just a wrestling fan.

MN has very good HS wrestling (ex Apple Valley-----is one of the best programs in the country)....not every kid can go to the Gophers-Iowas-Iowa States-Nebraskas.......you would think we could land a few "blue-chip" wrestling recruits every year. Look at the Gopher roster, many kids out that do not crack the line-up.......3 ND kids also.....

Maybe I am expecting too much from the wrestling program. I think we could be a very good D1 program to compete with the big-boys of the Big 10 and 12. How long will that take??.......IDK.......But with schools dropping wrestling you would think there plenty of great kids out there that would love a shot at D1 wrestling.

NDSU should be the school that kids that do not get offered by the MNs-Iowas-Iowa States, say NDSU is the place to go for wrestling....:nod: :nod:

Bison55
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I agree as well,

Back in the day, Bismarck had nationally ranked teams (not sure if it's still that way) but add the MN wrestlers to the mix and NDSU should be able to get a wrestler here and there that competes for a title or at least wins a few matches at nationals.

I doubt that NDSU will ever have team that competes for a title, but based on all their past success, I would have thought they would at least have a guy or two place at nationals by now.

You're also right that NDSU may never get that top guy in the nation like Iowa or MN does, but I would also think they would find that diamond in the ruff type of guy that everyone overlooks who comes in and surprises everyone ( i.e. Woodside:D )

56BISON73
12-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Good points!!!

There are not many D1 wrestling programs out there and with the cadet and junior nationals here in Fargo every year, you would think we could draw kids from all over the country.

When I went to NDSU, I loved the Bison wrestling matches.....esp against UND. Not many people there but I'm just a wrestling fan.

MN has very good HS wrestling (ex Apple Valley-----is one of the best programs in the country)....not every kid can go to the Gophers-Iowas-Iowa States-Nebraskas.......you would think we could land a few "blue-chip" wrestling recruits every year. Look at the Gopher roster, many kids out that do not crack the line-up.......3 ND kids also.....

Maybe I am expecting too much from the wrestling program. I think we could be a very good D1 program to compete with the big-boys of the Big 10 and 12. How long will that take??.......IDK.......But with schools dropping wrestling you would think there plenty of great kids out there that would love a shot at D1 wrestling.

NDSU should be the school that kids that do not get offered by the MNs-Iowas-Iowa States, say NDSU is the place to go for wrestling....:nod: :nod:

You have voiced the same concerns and questions Ive had for awhile but nobody could come up with an answer. There was a time when wrestling at NDSU was pretty popular with good crowds at the matches. The team was fun to watch as they had some really good wrestlers. All I can think of was the decrease in scollies killed the program and now they are trying to rebuild.

BisoninNWMN
12-19-2009, 01:00 PM
What is the schollie limit for D1 wrestling??

Is NDSU fully funded in wrestling??

BisoninNWMN
12-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Just googled it......9.9 for wrestling......

Wow....they should throw FB out of it. Men's programs are totally underfunded......but, I guess, that is the only way schools get into compliance with Title IX.

Totally unfair to men......FB is what drives $$$$ for other programs.

Is there a women's program out there that makes $$$$??? The only ones would probably be Tennessee or UConn WBB.

roadwarrior
12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Is NDSU fully funded in wrestling??

I am pretty sure we are.