PDA

View Full Version : Coaching change at KU?

Gully
11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Missouri just beat Kansas on last second field goal. KU loses 7 in a row I think. Second year in a row we open at a Big Twelve team with a new coach?

HandoEX
11-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I can't see him coming back. They fell apart!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I can't see him coming back. They fell apart!

glad i'm not a KU fan for football....at least i got KU basketball :)

Tatanka
11-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Missouri just beat Kansas on last second field goal. KU loses 7 in a row I think. Second year in a row we open at a Big Twelve team with a new coach?

Bwahahhahahaaaaa

MIZ

ZOU!!!

On the other hand, my 5 year old son is talking smack well above his grade level. He comes running into the kitchen "Dad, it's teh Missouri Tigers against the Chickenhawks!!!" Then he sees Mangino on the screen and says "Holy cow dad that guy is fat. The Kansas players must be really skinny 'cause their coach ate all the food!".

I didn't have the heart to correct him, nor could I because I was laughing too hard.

IzzyFlexion
11-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Bwahahhahahaaaaa

MIZ

ZOU!!!

On the other hand, my 5 year old son is talking smack well above his grade level. He comes running into the kitchen "Dad, it's teh Missouri Tigers against the Chickenhawks!!!" Then he sees Mangino on the screen and says "Holy cow dad that guy is fat. The Kansas players must be really skinny 'cause their coach ate all the food!".

I didn't have the heart to correct him, nor could I because I was laughing too hard.

What did you do with the money..............that you saved NOT getting the paternity test!:D :D

CaBisonFan
11-29-2009, 12:02 AM

There's some kind of investigation going on at KU concerning Mangini (spelling?). The announcers were talking about it as though he had coached his last game at KU. Seemed like he walked off the field with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Not a happy man.

IzzyFlexion
11-29-2009, 12:12 AM
There's some kind of investigation going on at KU concerning Mangini (spelling?). The announcers were talking about it as though he had coached his last game at KU. Seemed like he walked off the field with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Not a happy man.

And in his khakis!
Can I get a rim shot, please?

Tatanka
11-29-2009, 01:17 AM
And in his khakis!
Can I get a rim shot, please?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/hoosier_buddy/RAA/rimshot.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

EndZoneQB
11-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Ialto coming!

TheBisonator
11-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Bwahahhahahaaaaa

MIZ

ZOU!!!

Your son is a funny kid. :D

NorthernBison
11-29-2009, 03:43 AM

There is an investigation into whether he was too hard on his players based on complaints from former players. From the media coverage it appears that there are two instances where he said some pretty harsh things to players.

He has a guaranteed contract. KU would love to have him disappear but he won't quit. That means they have three choices. 1. he coaches out the contract. 2. They send him packing but pay him the contract balance or negotiate a settlement. 3. They fire him for cause and don't have to pay him.

KU would love for option 3 to work. The general consensus is they don't have nearly enough to fire him for cause. The investigation might be to dig enough dirt up so they feel safe. He still might have KU by the balls.

IMHO, the comments I've read are certainly insensitive. Some have called them racist. I don't agree. I'm guessing that the majority of college coaches have all pushed some players pretty hard and said some things that would shock the lace panty crowd.

I think he might be gone because KU doesn't want him back but I think they will need to get out the checkbook. One of the perils of guaranteed contracts.

EndZoneQB
11-29-2009, 03:49 AM
There is an investigation into whether he was too hard on his players based on complaints from former players. From the media coverage it appears that there are two instances where he said some pretty harsh things to players.

Who gives a shit? It's all about motivation. Unless the statements were down right criminal, everyone involved needs to grow up. It's football, get over it. Especially since he HAS won since coming there. One bad season and people start throwing around accusations...

NorthernBison
11-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Who gives a shit? It's all about motivation. Unless the statements were down right criminal, everyone involved needs to grow up. It's football, get over it. Especially since he HAS won since coming there. One bad season and people start throwing around accusations...

Don't quote me like I am leading the investigation. I just stated the facts as reported. Bottom line is that KU wants to get rid of him.

The two reported comments actually were pretty bad but were in the heat of the moment and not fireable type of comments. IMHO.

BTW, one of the comments was telling a player that he was going to send him back to the Hood to get shot like his buddies or something like that when the player had a friend who was shot and Mangino knew it. Definitely a bad motivational technique but not something that should get him fired for cause. Also definitely not "football" though so the "it's football" comment is a bit of a reach.

Classic case of how a coach can be abrasive to everybody as long as he wins. As soon as things turn the other way, lots of people pull out the knives and start poking.

EndZoneQB
11-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Don't quote me like I am leading the investigation. I just stated the facts as reported. Bottom line is that KU wants to get rid of him.

The two reported comments actually were pretty bad but were in the heat of the moment and not fireable type of comments. IMHO.

BTW, one of the comments was telling a player that he was going to send him back to the Hood to get shot like his buddies or something like that when the player had a friend who was shot and Mangino knew it. Definitely a bad motivational technique but not something that should get him fired for cause. Also definitely not "football" though so the "it's football" comment is a bit of a reach.

Classic case of how a coach can be abrasive to everybody as long as he wins. As soon as things turn the other way, lots of people pull out the knives and start poking.

Well, that is pretty much a cheap shot, but lets face it, he probably is right. I just think everyone has gotten too sensitive lately, football or elsewhere.

NorthernBison
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, that is pretty much a cheap shot, but lets face it, he probably is right. I just think everyone has gotten too sensitive lately, football or elsewhere.

I'm with you there.

onbison09
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
My dad was at the KU-Texas game talking to some KU fans in the tailgate and they said the investigation is going all by the book i.e. he's gone. Losing to Mizzou didn't help.

Tatanka
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
My dad was at the KU-Texas game talking to some KU fans in the tailgate and they said the investigation is going all by the book i.e. he's gone. Losing to Mizzou didn't help.

Bwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

NorthernBison
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Oh, I have no doubt that he's gone. Clearly, KU wants him gone. The interesting thing will be to see if their investigation gives them enough balls to fire him for cause. Their ultimate goal is to get out of paying him the rest of his guaranteed contract. The only legal opinions I've heard so far (on TV BTW) say that even if the allegations are true, they are on thin ice trying to fire him for cause. There is a 100% certainty that they will end up in court if that is the course they pursue. Should be interesting.

bisonhusker
12-01-2009, 03:29 PM
He can flat out coach and has put KU on the map in major college football. Good time to play them. New staff, hopefully a new system.

Shawn-O
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Nolan Cromwell will be the man at the helm when you go down there next fall, IMO.

A1pigskin
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
We have a lot of work to do within our own team.

onbison09
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Bwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

I didn't realize the hatred between the two schools. Your kids story about the Chickenhawks made me snort and when you have a sinus infection that's not a good thing but oh well.

Grizzled
12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389

Good time to schedule these guys.

westnodak93bison
12-04-2009, 01:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389

Good time to schedule these guys.

yep, they will have a new HC and probably new offense and defensive schemes plus they lose their stud QB and stud WR-- I'm assuming he will botl for the NFL

JSUBison
12-04-2009, 02:42 PM
What the heck is going on in college football??? First it was Phil Fulmer, then Charlie Weis. And now Mangino is gone. If I was Ralph Friedgen I'd start winning or start dieting, one or the other.

SlickVic
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
can't believe some of the things he was accused of saying...he looks so gentle

ndsubison1
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
i smell upset

DjKyRo
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
i smell upset

Mangino smells chicken:

http://mcoatney.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/mangino.jpg

Tatanka
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Mangino smells chicken:

http://mcoatney.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/mangino.jpg

Looks like he's just realized that his mouth can't open wide enough to eat the ref, unless the ref takes his hat off.

bisonmike2
12-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Now he can spend more time in front of the invisible vending machine.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/ECKoolAid/lolsports/invisable-vending-machine.jpg

DjKyRo
12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
"Holy sh!t was it a bad idea to dress as food around this guy!"

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/manginoorange.jpg

ndsubison1
12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
he looks like a polar bear

56BISON73
12-04-2009, 11:15 PM

Just stay away from his hands and mouth and you should be safe.

sambini
12-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Turner Gill next KU coach?

IzzyFlexion
12-06-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that fruits and vegetables have nothing to worry about.

KC Bison
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Looking more and more like Buffalo's coach Turner Gill will be the head coach. Tatanka, just remember it is now basketball season. Football between MU and KU comes once a year but KU will kick the stuffing out of MU two or even three times this year in basketball.

Tatanka
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Looking more and more like Buffalo's coach Turner Gill will be the head coach. Tatanka, just remember it is now basketball season. Football between MU and KU comes once a year but KU will kick the stuffing out of MU two or even three times this year in basketball.

:D

Indeed, you are correct. This year. :(

duluthbison
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/128971132287844779.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0802/campus.fan.abuse/images/320.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2042/2054996921_b834d61468_o.jpg

I can go all day with these!!!!

siouxdgj
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't realize the hatred between the two schools. Your kids story about the Chickenhawks made me snort and when you have a sinus infection that's not a good thing but oh well.

The Missouri-Kansas football rivalry is second only to the Minnesota-Wisconsin series in number of games played versus each other. The series is virtually deadlocked. However, the two schools differ in counting wins and losses in the series. In the 1960 game Kansas beat Mizzou 23-7 on the field. But it was later ruled Kansas used an ineligible player, thus giving Mizzou a forfeit victory. The loss by Mizzou to Kansas cost Mizzou the national championship to Minnesota that year. Missouri went on to defeat Heisman Trophy winner Joe Bellino's Navy team that year in the Orange Bowl 21-14. According to the NCAA Missouri finished with an unbeaten season that year, counting the forfeit win. Dan Devine, who grew up in Proctor, Minnesota, and a University of Minnesota-Duluth graduate, was the head coach of the Missouri Tigers that year. Devine is in the College Football Hall of Fame. Both Mizzou and Kansas count that 1960 game as a victory for their side.

JSUBison
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
The Missouri-Kansas football rivalry is second only to the Minnesota-Wisconsin series in number of games played versus each other. The series is virtually deadlocked. However, the two schools differ in counting wins and losses in the series. In the 1960 game Kansas beat Mizzou 23-7 on the field. But it was later ruled Kansas used an ineligible player, thus giving Mizzou a forfeit victory. The loss by Mizzou to Kansas cost Mizzou the national championship to Minnesota that year. Missouri went on to defeat Heisman Trophy winner Joe Bellino's Navy team that year in the Orange Bowl 21-14. According to the NCAA Missouri finished with an unbeaten season that year, counting the forfeit win. Dan Devine, who grew up in Proctor, Minnesota, and a University of Minnesota-Duluth graduate, was the head coach of the Missouri Tigers that year. Devine is in the College Football Hall of Fame. Both Mizzou and Kansas count that 1960 game as a victory for their side.

I think the hate goes back to civil war era. I remember reading something about Kansas Redlegs and Missouri Ruffians going at it. Plus they killed Clint Eastwoods family.

But anyway, in memory of Mangino:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwuClYR_6Q

Tatanka
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Correctamundo. When two teams can't even agree on the record over a 100+ year series, you know there's some bad blood.

For a deeper dive into some little-known history, check out "Quantrill's Raid" (Wikipedia has a pretty decent write-up). If you look close, you'll see the origins of the KU mascot, the reasons for their color scheme, and some rationale for the bad feelings each state has toward the other.

And of course, being on the Missouri side of the equation, although I certainly can't say I agree with the stance of the Missourians that raided Kansas (or vice versa for that matter), I do find at least a little humor in this T-shirt... (52 seconds in) Got to love the creativity if nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjYHhlKMyM

Believe me, this is a border war unlike any other...

KC Bison
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I have lived in Harrisonville, MO for 20 years now and all the lifers around here make sure a rookie like me knows about what happened during the civil war.

From Wikipedia

Some type of Order No. 11 was issued right after the Quantrill raiders tore Lawrence, KS apart. As a result, Federal forces ordered the expulsion of all non-Unionist residents from several counties including Cass County (MO), and commanded that their homes be burned. Exceptions were made for those living within one mile of the town limits of Harrisonville and a few other towns around here.

Yes, some people are still fighting the war down here. When they have one of those civil war re-enactments, they find it difficult to get enough people to be the Union soldiers down here.

Sorry if this got too far off the subject but it now appears that MU-KU football and basketball games almost substitute for the civil war battles.

ndsubison1
12-07-2009, 08:50 PM
M I Z Z F K U

bisonmike2
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5398/quinbb.jpg

Tatanka
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5398/quinbb.jpg

Nicely played. :blush:

KC Bison
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Note the little dig on the bottom of the billboard the paige sports arena web address .. someone from the Wal-mart family gave lots of money to MU and wanted the basketball arena named after their daughter, Paige. Later it was found that Paige had apparently cheated her way through college, even using someone to take her tests for her. After the uproar was done, the Paige name was never used for the arena.

I've always enjoyed asking MU people about picking their basketball coaches .... should I pick Bill Self or Quin Synder --- oh, I'll take Quin Synder. I think that mistake set MU back 10 years in their basketball program.

Tatanka
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Note the little dig on the bottom of the billboard the paige sports arena web address .. someone from the Wal-mart family gave lots of money to MU and wanted the basketball arena named after their daughter, Paige. Later it was found that Paige had apparently cheated her way through college, even using someone to take her tests for her. After the uproar was done, the Paige name was never used for the arena.

I've always enjoyed asking MU people about picking their basketball coaches .... should I pick Bill Self or Quin Synder --- oh, I'll take Quin Synder. I think that mistake set MU back 10 years in their basketball program.

Precisely, and so noted.

siouxdgj
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Mizzou hasn't always been so unfortunate in its choices of head basketball coaches, however. Stormin' Norman Stewart was the head coach at Mizzou for a number of years and if I recall correctly was quite successful in a league (the former Big Eight) that was in those years often dominated by the likes of Kansas and Kansas State. Stewart for about a half a dozen years before moving back to his alma mater (Mizzou) coached at the University of Northern Iowa in the mid-1960s when UNI was part of the now defunct North Central Conference. As such, Stewart coached against both UND and NDSU on the hardwood courts. Much of the time Stewart was at UNI he coached against future NBA coach Bill Fitch, then at UND. It may come as a surprise to some to know that in men's basketball UND holds a healthy lead over UNI in the overall series of the games played between the two schools.

KC Bison
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Storm'n Norman was an exceptional coach. I always remember it was reported that he never wanted to spend a nickle in the state of Kansas. If I got the story straight, his team never stayed over night in Kansas which isn't too difficult was Lawrence only 30 miles from the border but K-State was about 150 miles into Kansas. He had some great teams, including one around 1996 that went undefeated in conference play.

bisonmike2
12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Looks like the Brew doesn't want to wait until 2011 to get his shot at a rematch with us.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13953385?nclick_check=1

Tatanka
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Storm'n Norman was an exceptional coach. I always remember it was reported that he never wanted to spend a nickle in the state of Kansas. If I got the story straight, his team never stayed over night in Kansas which isn't too difficult was Lawrence only 30 miles from the border but K-State was about 150 miles into Kansas. He had some great teams, including one around 1996 that went undefeated in conference play.

This, in its entirety. Norm was the MAN.

NDSUstudent
12-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Harbaugh to KU????

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/12/harbaugh-could-be-headed-from-stanford-to-kansas/1

Mr. Burgundy
12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.sportsradiokc.com/breakingnews_Harbaugh_121109.html

Looks like a done deal. Impressive hire if you ask me. Guy can get it done and has proven to be able to recruit.

56BISON73
12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Harbaugh: Future remains at Stanford

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer 39 minutes ago

STANFORD, Calif. (AP)—Jim Harbaugh wants to put an end to rumors linking him to other jobs, saying he will remain Stanford’s football coach.
Athletic director Bob Bowlsby said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Saturday that Harbaugh signed a long-awaited three-year contract extension through the 2014 season “a while ago.”

Last month, Bowlsby and Harbaugh said the deal was close to being announced. The lack of a formal announcement helped fuel rumors this week linking Harbaugh to openings at Notre Dame and Kansas.
Television and radio reports in the Kansas City area said Harbaugh could accept the opening at Kansas to replace Mark Mangino as early as Saturday night. Harbaugh was in New York on Saturday to support his star running back Toby Gerhart at the Heisman Trophy ceremony.
“Though the rumor mill has been running full gear, my resolve and future proudly remains as head coach at Stanford University,” Harbaugh said in a statement issued Saturday. “The reports of the last 24 hours are untrue, though I respect the University of Kansas and athletic director Lew Perkins.
“I trust this puts an end to these rumors and reports, allowing the focus of fans and the media to shine a bright spotlight on Toby Gerhart today. I love Toby and our players and coaches at Stanford, and as Toby told reporters, I am a Stanford man.”
Harbaugh has overseen a remarkable turnaround in his three years at Stanford. He arrived following the 2006 season, taking over a one-win team from Walt Harris that struggled to compete in the Pac-10.
But Harbaugh led the Cardinal to upsets of Southern California and rival California in his first season, fell one win shy of a bowl bid his second year before finally breaking through this season.
Led by Gerhart and redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Luck, the Cardinal had their best season in years. They beat Oregon and USC in consecutive weeks to move into the AP poll for the first time since 2001, stayed in contention for a Pac-10 title until late in the season, and earned their bowl bid in eight years.
No. 19 Stanford (8-4) will face Oklahoma (7-5) in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31. Even though Gerhart is expected to enter the NFL draft, Harbaugh will still have Luck and strong recruiting classes to build around

EndZoneQB
12-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I think harbaugh would be dumb to leave Stanford. I can't really see Kansas being a better job?

sambini
12-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Turner Gill still in the mix?

56BISON73
12-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Gill to be named Kansas coach

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/ed/experts/king.png By Jason King (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/expertsarchive;_ylt=Ak8KeEUxYN7BHqC2FrD8i5Hyz4x4?a uthor=Jason+King), Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 0 minutes ago

Turner Gill will be named head football coach at Kansas, Yahoo! Sports has learned.
Gill, 47, coached at the University at Buffalo from 2006-09. He went 20-30 overall and 14-18 in the Mid-American Conference.
More From Jason King

Gill had losing seasons in three of his four years, including a 5-7 mark in 2009.
In 2008, Buffalo went 8-6 and won the MAC title.
Gill emerged from a list of candidates that included Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh and East Carolina’s Skip Holtz.
Jason King is a college football and basketball writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/feedback;_ylt=AsDhVDR6.xd308XsSfX5slvyz4x4?author= Jason+King) for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Bison"FANatic"
12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
So we get to go and beat Turner. Should be fun:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

DjKyRo
12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
So are you saying Tubby's NOT going to Kansas??? :D

HandoEX
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
ESPN just confirmed that Gill took the job at KU.

sambini
12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Two former Huskers will battle....

westnodak93bison
12-12-2009, 11:39 PM
does turner gill run the spread?