PDA

View Full Version : How long til a Hotseat

RiverBison
11-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I know baseball isnt quite the priority at NDSU as some of our other sports, but that being aid loseing consistantly should not be tollerated by us die hrd sports fans of the school. Most our other major sports have succedded such as football, basketball, volleyball, softball, etc so how long before Brown gets a hot seat is it this year? being his 3rd season which is usally the deciding year in most college and professional ranks where they must preform or does he get a 4th year before the seat starts getting hot and pressure arrises? As a die hard baseball fan, we need to start winning, and ya I get it all the stuff about being cold weather and under fundded but all that aside there has been programs with success that have been in our shoes or even done more with less. So just want to hear what you think about how much longer or if even at all before the seat starts burning........

ndsubison1
11-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I know baseball isnt quite the priority at NDSU as some of our other sports, but that being aid loseing consistantly should not be tollerated by us die hrd sports fans of the school. Most our other major sports have succedded such as football, basketball, volleyball, softball, etc so how long before Brown gets a hot seat is it this year? being his 3rd season which is usally the deciding year in most college and professional ranks where they must preform or does he get a 4th year before the seat starts getting hot and pressure arrises? As a die hard baseball fan, we need to start winning, and ya I get it all the stuff about being cold weather and under fundded but all that aside there has been programs with success that have been in our shoes or even done more with less. So just want to hear what you think about how much longer or if even at all before the seat starts burning........

all this coach talk on here is just crazy... seriously people need to get a gripe.

our baseball team improved quite a bit from 2008-2009... transitioning with a new coach is never easy and it takes TIME. I hate it when a new one comes in and when there isn't instant success people start calling for firing. Firing always seems like the simple solution but that isn't always the case. Brown has improved our recruiting and he's done a fairly good job with the limited resources that he has... please, enough with all of this non-sense it's ridiculous! I'm not referring to you but loads of others as well on here

Baseball is a little different animal. We're in the north, it's tough to get games, tough to schedule and tough to recruit.

ok i got that out me...

RiverBison
11-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Well no one said anything about a fireing, said how long til the pressure to perfrom comes in. Granted I will ackowledge he has done a good job with the resources and recruiting is OK. But bottom line is perfromance on the field, Charlie Wies recruited great where did that get him without the performance on the field? And up in the North and limited resources and being in the same conference as Oral Roberts and baseball are all huge walls but that being said with a easy schedule compared to the past a + 500 season is almost a must this season, is it not? There has been other northern limited schools in the past with great success granted schoold like Mighigan and our neighbors down south the u of M have made it and won in th CWS but other smaller northern schools have succedded in the past like Holy Cross and Maine etc. you cant say that they have bigger advantages then us. And while no one here is calling for a CWS apperance any time soon a + 500 season and at least a spot in the Summit league tourney is a must this season to atleast give us a chance. ALso Brown has done well recruiting MN and ND but he also needs to expand that to give us a chance, mix in a Texas or Cali or Florida guy here and there to strenghten the team with some other talent and dont say we cant get them we have had them in the past with less money and our other sports seem to get them.
No one is saying fireing but you need to show progress and in progression stuff must be done this year on the field. When Brown came in it becam pretty obvious that he wanted his own players and little by little he has turned program out and got rid of the players he inherited so now he has alll his own players so he needs to show a great stride on the field with his guys this year then next year is a deff must win year, you cant give coaches time and time if the progression curve isnt there, As a Bison I understand you cant win everything but we sure as heck want to and need to, so if pressure is what it takes then so be it just tired of excuses and not winning bottom line i want to see the baseball team win at all cost.

99Bison
11-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Um, just guessing say 2-3 more years and then maybe thing about a hot seat.

ndsubison1
11-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Well no one said anything about a fireing, said how long til the pressure to perfrom comes in. Granted I will ackowledge he has done a good job with the resources and recruiting is OK. But bottom line is perfromance on the field, Charlie Wies recruited great where did that get him without the performance on the field? And up in the North and limited resources and being in the same conference as Oral Roberts and baseball are all huge walls but that being said with a easy schedule compared to the past a + 500 season is almost a must this season, is it not? There has been other northern limited schools in the past with great success granted schoold like Mighigan and our neighbors down south the u of M have made it and won in th CWS but other smaller northern schools have succedded in the past like Holy Cross and Maine etc. you cant say that they have bigger advantages then us. And while no one here is calling for a CWS apperance any time soon a + 500 season and at least a spot in the Summit league tourney is a must this season to atleast give us a chance. ALso Brown has done well recruiting MN and ND but he also needs to expand that to give us a chance, mix in a Texas or Cali or Florida guy here and there to strenghten the team with some other talent and dont say we cant get them we have had them in the past with less money and our other sports seem to get them.
No one is saying fireing but you need to show progress and in progression stuff must be done this year on the field. When Brown came in it becam pretty obvious that he wanted his own players and little by little he has turned program out and got rid of the players he inherited so now he has alll his own players so he needs to show a great stride on the field with his guys this year then next year is a deff must win year, you cant give coaches time and time if the progression curve isnt there, As a Bison I understand you cant win everything but we sure as heck want to and need to, so if pressure is what it takes then so be it just tired of excuses and not winning bottom line i want to see the baseball team win at all cost.

i for sure want them to win at all costs too... but this stuff takes time. i just think it's a little crazy to be talking about this already.

RiverBison
11-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Kind of crazy hmmm, well thats what us crazy sports fans do!!!! We talk and discuss. We just need a big backer with big pockets to come n down and drop us off some nice dough for baseball only or for a baseball alumni to make it big and kick down some dough 4 his old school

TheDoctor
11-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Bottom line...we will never become elite without a facility equipped for baseball. Outdoors in ND does not work with the baseball season and last pickings for practice times in the BSA doesn't work well either. ;)

bisonpride
11-27-2009, 04:31 PM

The only players from California, Arizona, or Florida with the exception of Sebastian Miles has approached the program do to some sort of relation to the school or relatives living near by. Why? Because there was NO and I mean NO money to travel and recruit out of the area. When softball was allowed to head to Cali and find players baseball was told no. Their recruiting budget was around $1,500 a couple years ago. That covers all travel and hotels for coaches through the whole year. Coach McLeod used to spend money out of his own pocket for hotel rooms while recruiting because the budget was so much worse even around 2000.

Powe came to NDSU because his best friend from California came to school here with parents originally both from ND and relatives near by. Unfortunately arm injuries prevented that player from ever pitching in a game.

Sullivan from Cali had relatives nearby.

Calhoun from AZ's mom was from Moorhead.

Thome from Florida had a cousin on the team.

Coach McLeod was never allowed to become a full time head coach because administration didnt want to pay the $$$$ and to make it an even more slap in the face he was offered a $10,000 raise to not resign because it would have saved them an additional $15,000 as opposed to hiring a full time coach. The baseball program didnt even have a full time $28,000 a year assistant coach until 4 years ago, so until they add a second full time assistant coach, allow more then about $5,000 in recruiting budget, have at least a 3/4ths allotment of scholarships, and allow them to go where necessary to bring players in like they allow softball and the other considered minor sports, then you may be able to consider thinking someone is on the hot seat. Until administration invests some form of commitment to the program all they will care about is the program is run clean, graduates players, and hopes they look respectable since they finally replaced 12 year old green uniforms 3 years ago. Until that happens, it is too much to ask from us as fans that we are even mentioned as a contender or that someone should be on the hot seat.

TheDoctor
11-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Bisonpride...you are a LOT closer to the program than simply a fan :D. Most people didn't know that we (HNES) were paying half of Mitch's roughly $50,000. Therefore, you are completely accurate when you say that offering him a $10,000 raise would save them $15,000. ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I think Volleyball needs a new coach while we're at it, I mean they had not lost a conference game in 2 years wtf are they doing losing one now. ;)

coldspot
11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
ya know what would help get some money flowing to the program? some fan support. i went to about half of the home games last year and the turnouts were PATHETIC. the game against the gophers last year was the highest attended game. there were something like 900 people there and it was a beautiful day and it was against a high caliber opponent. the rest of the games were getting 100 people tops. the weather did suck for a good part of the home season, but when it was nice out people still didnt go. there is zero effort to promote the program. the way the schedule is set up this year all their home games are at the end of the season so im hoping that helps get people to go since the weather should be better. you guys in the HNES program, you guys should have some extra credit incentive for the students. give them a reason to go to the games, because kids at the school couldnt give two shits about baseball.

TheDoctor
11-28-2009, 03:45 AM
I appreciate the idea of offering an incentive to attend games, but giving extra credit in an academic class to attend an athletic event is not only inappropriate but degrading to our programs. I know your going to be playing for the team this year. I completely support the program and will attend every game I can. Coach Brown, Mongo, Dave and Zim are great guys with a vision for the future. Your in good hands! Good luck this year! ;)

coldspot
11-28-2009, 05:02 AM
I appreciate the idea of offering an incentive to attend games, but giving extra credit in an academic class to attend an athletic event is not only inappropriate but degrading to our programs. I know your going to be playing for the team this year. I completely support the program and will attend every game I can. Coach Brown, Mongo, Dave and Zim are great guys with a vision for the future. Your in good hands! Good luck this year! ;)

it was worth a shot. and i wish i was:D

TheDoctor
11-28-2009, 05:05 AM
it was worth a shot. and i wish i was:D

Well good luck making the team, I'll put in a good word for ya! ;)

RiverBison
11-28-2009, 03:15 PM
BISON PRIDE YOU FORGOT a few others Flyn was from Vegas, Plecki was from Florida I guess and Nebraska tat couldg either way and he went on to play some IndyBall after, Also there was Gaylord from Texas who Played indyball although he never stepped foot on the field he was recruited and sighned and also Paterson from Cali who did throw no hitter for us and then played Indy ball and still playing profesionally overseas. So we have got some others and granted the circumstances we have gotten those warm weather state players and need to keep utilizing them like the other sports

jeffdaryl3rd
11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
The most you can reasonably expect from a college coach who inherits a bottom feeder type program is incremental improvement. Until they establish themselves as a consistent winning program and get more funding their non-conference schedule is going to be up and down from year to year, but one thing they should do is show improvement in league play. The overall records in '08 and '09 were very similar (15-30 and 16-28 respectively) but they showed improvement in the conference (7-16 and 10-14). Also, the team's top two hitters (Kline and Wentz) and top pitcher (Straka) were young guys who will be around for a while and give us something to build around as well as serving to highlight Brown's ability to recruit. This is a hard job for a baseball coach and I think coach Brown has done a solid job so far and there should be no mention of a hot seat as long as he continues to move the program forward. Hopefully he can be to the program in their D-I existence what Mitch McLeod was to their D-II incarnation.

bisonpride
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
BISON PRIDE YOU FORGOT a few others Flyn was from Vegas, Plecki was from Florida I guess and Nebraska tat couldg either way and he went on to play some IndyBall after, Also there was Gaylord from Texas who Played indyball although he never stepped foot on the field he was recruited and sighned and also Paterson from Cali who did throw no hitter for us and then played Indy ball and still playing profesionally overseas. So we have got some others and granted the circumstances we have gotten those warm weather state players and need to keep utilizing them like the other sports

Plecki is an Air Force kid who calls Florida home but went to high school in Omaha. That is the only way he ended up at NDSU is because he was in Omaha. Good player playing in a low level independent league and doing well holding the franchise season hit record (ok its only 3 years old but still impressive).

Gaylord had a parent from around here and was trying to get back up this direction and contacted the school. He would have been a nice addition had he been eligible to play.

Eckermans from South Africa obviously contacted the school.

Paterson and Flynn are not good examples of getting players from Cali and Nevada. Flynn, not sure but I don't believe NDSU made the first contact. He has not proven to be a D1 player yet. Is he still on the team? Pretty sure Paterson contacted the school in the summer because he had no where else to play and wanted to play D1. Pretty sure he didnt get a scholarship and was a walk on. Had good numbers at his JUCO so they gave him a chance. We found out why he wasnt recruited by any D1 schools because he couldnt hit at that level and was effective on the mound because his velocity was below average for right handed D2 players from the NCC. What Indy team did Paterson play for because all I find is a 12.00 ERA in 5 appearances in basically a fall try out league for the Golden League? And baseball overseas is mostly a glorified amateur league where alot of expenses are paid and thats about it.

As I said before the school needs to provide the commitment financially to get difference makers like softball was able to bring in. Until that happens we should provide support for the players and coaches and hope they do well, but to expect us to push ORU for a title anytime soon without that would be wishful thinking.

lcbison
11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
How about if we lose to Mayville St this spring? The Comets will come in with a tough lineup.

TheDoctor
12-01-2009, 02:00 AM
How about if we lose to Mayville St this spring? The Comets will come in with a tough lineup.

How talented are they? Obviously, they have CV in the lineup so they are going to be tough, but do they have any other horses in the stable? ;)

coldspot
12-01-2009, 03:53 AM
How talented are they? Obviously, they have CV in the lineup so they are going to be tough, but do they have any other horses in the stable? ;)

they return 3 all-dac performers. theyre usually a pretty solid team. they dont have any studs (other than cv, of course) but they tend to do the little things right which wins them ball games.

Facts
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
It makes no sense for any ND school to have a college baseball team. The schedule starts in FEBRUARY! The answer to all things NDSU baseball is spring weather.
I for one am in the camp that says we should drop baseball and add... oh nevermind. ;)

Tatanka
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
It makes no sense for any ND school to have a college baseball team. The schedule starts in FEBRUARY! The answer to all things NDSU baseball is spring weather.
I for one am in the camp that says we should drop baseball and add... oh nevermind. ;)

:eek:

:rofl:

TheDoctor
12-01-2009, 05:52 PM

I hope Lakes didn't just hear you. :D ;)

cvbison1
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM

this is America....we are American

i hope you can put 2 and 2 together

Facts
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
You mean american like
http://goldenstate.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/800px-apple_pie.jpg
:nod:

TheBisonator
12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
And UND is Canadian like

http://lisamiru.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/poutine.jpg

NDSUFan_Sav
12-03-2009, 02:22 AM
this thread sucks....back to the bikini thread!

sambini
12-03-2009, 03:22 AM
How long till spring training this snow sucks... And I agree Sav bring back the bikinis thread.

Herd
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Plecki is an Air Force kid who calls Florida home but went to high school in Omaha. That is the only way he ended up at NDSU is because he was in Omaha. Good player playing in a low level independent league and doing well holding the franchise season hit record (ok its only 3 years old but still impressive).

Gaylord had a parent from around here and was trying to get back up this direction and contacted the school. He would have been a nice addition had he been eligible to play.

Eckermans from South Africa obviously contacted the school.

Paterson and Flynn are not good examples of getting players from Cali and Nevada. Flynn, not sure but I don't believe NDSU made the first contact. He has not proven to be a D1 player yet. Is he still on the team? Pretty sure Paterson contacted the school in the summer because he had no where else to play and wanted to play D1. Pretty sure he didnt get a scholarship and was a walk on. Had good numbers at his JUCO so they gave him a chance. We found out why he wasnt recruited by any D1 schools because he couldnt hit at that level and was effective on the mound because his velocity was below average for right handed D2 players from the NCC. What Indy team did Paterson play for because all I find is a 12.00 ERA in 5 appearances in basically a fall try out league for the Golden League? And baseball overseas is mostly a glorified amateur league where alot of expenses are paid and thats about it.

As I said before the school needs to provide the commitment financially to get difference makers like softball was able to bring in. Until that happens we should provide support for the players and coaches and hope they do well, but to expect us to push ORU for a title anytime soon without that would be wishful thinking.

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know, but what ever happened to Eckermanns? It seemed like all the sudden he was just gone off the team.

Herd
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
For all the low budget stories that I read about NDSU baseball on this board (which I am not doubting), it seems like they are getting better and better, and have a chance to be pretty good the next 3-4 years. My expectations are rising each year, and I expect a top 4 finish this year and a Summit Tourney appearance. That's step 1 in 2010.

Hopefully I will expect them to challenge for the Summit title at some point soon. And by the way, baseball is a great sport and belongs at NDSU. I'd like to see a better indoor practice facility with baseball in mind, but baseball is here to stay.

ndsubison1
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know, but what ever happened to Eckermanns? It seemed like all the sudden he was just gone off the team.

he was kicked off the team for undisclosed reasons

bisonpride
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
For all the low budget stories that I read about NDSU baseball on this board (which I am not doubting), it seems like they are getting better and better, and have a chance to be pretty good the next 3-4 years. My expectations are rising each year, and I expect a top 4 finish this year and a Summit Tourney appearance. That's step 1 in 2010.

Hopefully I will expect them to challenge for the Summit title at some point soon. And by the way, baseball is a great sport and belongs at NDSU. I'd like to see a better indoor practice facility with baseball in mind, but baseball is here to stay.

They will never realistically challenge for the Summit title until they are fully funded with scholarships and coaching staff and allowed to do the things it takes financially to reach that level. Oral Roberts is a perennial top 30 rpi and is at that level because they are fully funded. They will be going for their 13th straight conference title this year. They routinely win a game at a Regional and made it to the Super Regional in 2006 and were beaten by Clemson on 2 come from behind victories late. Game 1 they lost on a 9th inning walk off Grand slam and game 2 they gave up a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 8th. VERY tall order with out full funding.

Also making the Summit tourney sometimes needs some luck. It can come down to what games get weathered out and against who. If some one has a whole weekend wiped out against ORU and the other contender has the same weekend wiped out against the last placed team it can make a huge difference in the final standing and who makes the tournament.