PDA

View Full Version : Use of TEs and FBs

Castor Troy
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
What I like the most about Jose is that he was able to complete 10 passes for over 100 yards to his fullbacks and tight ends. He throws a nice ball that allows them to get YAC. This is very important to the success of the West Coast offense. These short passes is what moves the chains. And it looks like we have some talented FBs and TEs that can catch and run a little for next year.

We really do have a lot to be excited about for next year.

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
It seems like the ONLY plays we run are the ROLL OUT hit the TE or FB coming out of the SLOT.

what a joke. Veldman needs more "seam" plays. and how about mixing in a WIDE RECEIVER DOWN FIELD and a SCREEN PLAY (hello mike sigers!!)

thats what pisses me off.

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Speaking of FBs, Lee Vandal - all that guy does is score touchdowns.

ndsubison1
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
lee vandal rumblin, bumblin, stumblin down the field

Castor Troy
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
It seems like the ONLY plays we run are the ROLL OUT hit the TE or FB coming out of the SLOT.

what a joke. Veldman needs more "seam" plays. and how about mixing in a WIDE RECEIVER DOWN FIELD and a SCREEN PLAY (hello mike sigers!!)

thats what pisses me off.

If I recall, the passes to the FBs and TEs this weekend were for good gains. He hit them on the fly and they were able to "rumble" a bit. Yeah, I hear ya. The Tahi-style dump pass for no gain is worthless. These were crisp passes for a decent gain. That's WC offense at it's finest!

overquota
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I heard an commentator on one of the ESPN college games say there should only be two passes in the West Coast offense, touchdown or checkdown pass.
Not sure how many times we go downfield, does not feel like very many times.

OldBison
11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
There were four nice passes down field to WR/TE that I remember for sure. Two were to Holloway, one on the YSU sideline, the other down the seam for a TD. Both were not terribly well thrown but Warren reached down to get them. The third was to Williams on the Bison sideline which was a beautiful pitch and catch. The fourth I remember was Veldman down the seam for a TD on the south endzone. All of these were about in the 20+ yd category.

The WC doesn't go downfield that often, but I think the Bison were more successful doing it in the last two games then they have been in the previous 18 games with the previous QB. :nod:

Castor Troy
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
There were four nice passes down field to WR/TE that I remember for sure. Two were to Holloway, one on the YSU sideline, the other down the seam for a TD. Both were not terribly well thrown but Warren reached down to get them. The third was to Williams on the Bison sideline which was a beautiful pitch and catch. The fourth I remember was Veldman down the seam for a TD on the south endzone. All of these were about in the 20+ yd category.

The WC doesn't go downfield that often, but I think the Bison were more successful doing it in the last two games then they have been in the previous 18 games with the previous QB. :nod:

Here are the receiving stats for the game:

Receiving No. Yds TD Long
----------------------------------------
Matt Veldman-TE 4 65 1 27
Warren Holloway-WR 3 88 1 38
Garrett Bruhn-FB 3 15 0 7
Gary Williams-WR 2 35 0 29
Lee Vandal-FB 2 18 0 12
Matt Voigtlander-RB 1 9 0 9
Landon Smith-TE 1 8 0 8
Totals... 16 238 2 38