PDA

View Full Version : YSU Coach Steps Down....

NDSUstudent
11-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Nine-year Youngstown State University Head Football Coach Jon Heacock announced on Sunday that he is stepping down. Heacock guided the program to a 60-44 record during his tenure, which was highlighted by a trip to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision playoff semifinals in 2006. A national search to replace Heacock will begin immediately.

“I’ve known Jon since my senior year on the football team in 1991, and he has always been a genuine, caring person for the Youngstown State program and the community,” said Ron Strollo, Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. “I would want Jon, as well as our fans and supporters, to know that we appreciate the tremendous challenges and expectations of being the Head Football Coach at Youngstown State. He fulfilled those duties in a manner that would make every Penguin fan proud. Our best wishes and gratitude are extended to Jon and his family for their many sacrifices on behalf of this institution.”

During Heacock’s tenure at YSU, the Penguins won two Missouri Valley Football Conference titles and finished with at least seven wins on five occasions. Youngstown State reached the playoffs in 2006 and came up just short of the postseason in 2001 and 2005 despite winning eight games in each of those campaigns. He was selected as a two-time conference coach of the year after taking over the program in January 2001. In 2005 and 2006 he was named the American Football Coaches Association’s Region IV Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the AFCA Coach-of-the-Year and Eddie Robinson Coach-of-the-Year awards.

“When we became a part of Youngstown State University and, specifically, THE YSU FOOTBALL FAMILY, excellence was defined in ‘wins’ and success defined in ‘making a difference’,” Heacock said. “On behalf of my family, through 16 years, the last nine as head coach, we have been blessed to share in both. Thanks to everyone who made that possible.”

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/22/heacock-steps-down-as-youngstown-state-h?blog=2#more5852

HandoEX
11-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Good luck to him. I wonder where YSU will go out and snatch a new coach from? Should be a pretty attractive job I'd think!

Tatanka
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Our defensive coordinator has more than proven his abilities. Perhaps someone should leak his name as a potential candidate?

SDbison
11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Good luck to him. I wonder where YSU will go out and snatch a new coach from? Should be a pretty attractive job I'd think!
Maybe Rocky?

Tatanka
11-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Maybe Rocky?

:eek: blasphemy.

HandoEX
11-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Maybe Rocky?

:mad:

See sig
............:blush:

unbison