PDA

View Full Version : The Countdown to Kansas

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Here it is: link. (http://countdown.onlineclock.net/)

So, idle crystal-ball gazing - what needs to change for next season to be successful? Given Kansas's current off-the-field issues, how will those factor into the game if at all? Any early (VERY early) score predictions? Let's look forward and get ready for another exciting offseason (hopefully not "exciting" like 2009's was.).

Despite all that's happened this season and despite all the negativity, looking at it this way just gets me pumped for BISON FOOTBALL all over again. Go Bison!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
see ya in Lawrence!!!

TateMosersneighbor
11-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I'd like to see a little less fireworks off the field this off season. Perhaps a bit more pissed off young men just doing boring stuff like lifting weights and drills.

Lawrence will be fun.

Bisontug
11-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Can't wait for KU now !! Got the hotel in KC figured out and just found out the Royals are in town that weekend (vs. Detroilet), so should be a fun few days... and hopefully a Bison victory

sambini
11-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Nice roadtrip looking forward to it.

BlueBisonRock
11-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Can't wait for KU now !! Got the hotel in KC figured out and just found out the Royals are in town that weekend (vs. Detroilet), so should be a fun few days... and hopefully a Bison victory

Thanks for that scheduling news. I would love to also take in a baseball game. And Detroit has been a long time favorite (behind the Twins) despite their uncany ability to stink it up. This one has distinct possibilities.

WYOBISONMAN
11-23-2009, 04:10 AM
I am planning on being at that one. Damn I love the start of a new season.....all the excitement .......all the anticipation! I think a home playoff game or 2 in 2010 would be in order as well.

2010 THE MARCH IS ON!

HandoEX
11-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Can't wait for Lawrence! It looks like we will be much, much better next year:nod:

CaBisonFan
11-23-2009, 04:46 AM

So, idle crystal-ball gazing - what needs to change for next season to be successful? Given Kansas's current off-the-field issues, how will those factor into the game if at all? Any early (VERY early) score predictions? Let's look forward and get ready for another exciting offseason (hopefully not "exciting" like 2009's was.).

Despite all that's happened this season and despite all the negativity, looking at it this way just gets me pumped for BISON FOOTBALL all over again. Go Bison!

Great talent and depth in the offensive backfield with what appears to be a legitimate starting QB, with some real experience...and also some real competition coming in to either beat him out, or back him up. That is huge. Can't be over-stated. Jose is as quick as lightning, has a lightning release, and throws an absolutely beautiful, catchable ball...in stride...allowing the receiver a chance to go somewhere, without getting rung up on every play. The sky is the limit for him.

Question marks in the offensive line, but I think we'll be OK. We need someone besides Gratzek to step up the play on the defensive line...big-time. Can Juckem become a big factor immediately? If not...our D-Backs will be in deep trouble again. D-backs????

With some luck, we could be a playoff contender. There are so many question marks. It could be 8-3, 7-4, or another year like this year. As far as Kansas is concerned...we'll be OK. Might be a toss-up. Our offense 'must' control the ball in this game...and throughout the season. We'll have to score 3 or 4 touchdowns to have a chance.

SDbison
11-23-2009, 04:55 AM

If the Bison can't beat Youngstown to end this season no way they will beat Kansas next year. Bison lose by 3 TD's. Fire Bohl, Breske and Vigen then NDSU might have a chance.

CaBisonFan
11-23-2009, 05:49 AM
If the Bison can't beat Youngstown to end this season no way they will beat Kansas next year. Bison lose by 3 TD's. Fire Bohl, Breske and Vigen then NDSU might have a chance.

I agree that a coaching change should happen now. We have been on a steady slide since the MN game in 2007. Two seasons + 3 games from 07. The slope became much steeper this year...but it has been steady.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 06:00 AM

hahahaha hey SD!

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Glad to see you're optimistic about next year......:( :( :(

ScooterMN
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
We need someone besides Gratzek to step up the play on the defensive line...big-time. Can Juckem become a big factor immediately? If not...our D-Backs will be in deep trouble again. D-backs????

You're kidding right? Our sophomore D-ends played damn well this year. I just checked out the conference stats. Boyer and Johnson were #7 and #8 in sacks, Gratzek #13. Boyer and Johnson were #4 and #14 in tackles for loss, Gratzek #5. Boyer was #41 in average tackles per game with 4.5 (45 total tackles), Gratzek was #40 with 4.5 (50 total tackles). Johnson played 9 games, Boyer 10 and Gratzek 11. Oh yah, did I mention that they were sophomores? By rights, they shouldn't have even been starting this year. Johnson went up against some of the biggest effen left tackles that I've seen at any level. It adds credibility to the notion that teams find the biggest damn guy to play left tackle to protect the QBs blind side.

There is no way on God's green earth that any of our other recruits or freshmen or whatever are going to outplay Boyer and Johnson for meaningful time next year. They are too good and will be even better next year with the experience they had this year. Our D-Backs were exploited because they were terrible in coverage. Plain and simple. And every team we played knew it. Granted, they were young and inexperienced. But as a result they were, well, terrible in coverage.

I don't believe our problems are with the line per se. It's about being where you are supposed to be on every play; gap control. We didn't have it early in the year and got much better by the end. Some of that was the line, some of it was the backers. Plenty of blame to go around on that. But you can't ignore the fact that YSU had 67 net yards rushing for an average of 2 yards per rush. This from a team that torched us with the run last year.

I guess I just don't think you have considered the year our D-ends had. Gratzek finished well but started off slow. He we be dominant next year but so will Boyer and Johnson. What we need is someone to replace Fairbairn that can jam up the middle like he did and better play from our secondary.

Bison Dan
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Vigen? Your nuts - Our O was clicking just fine against a good D. Breske can go. Worst coaching job (D) against Youngstown I've ever seen.

bisoningrandforks
11-23-2009, 02:22 PM
The O...is clicking guys......But the D............couldnt stop a runny nose!!!!...Phil asked him on his show yesterday and he said they are may have to chg some things (schemes) in the off season.....they better!!!

Grizzled
11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
You're kidding right? Our sophomore D-ends played damn well this year. I just checked out the conference stats. Boyer and Johnson were #7 and #8 in sacks, Gratzek #13. Boyer and Johnson were #4 and #14 in tackles for loss, Gratzek #5. Boyer was #41 in average tackles per game with 4.5 (45 total tackles), Gratzek was #40 with 4.5 (50 total tackles). Johnson played 9 games, Boyer 10 and Gratzek 11. Oh yah, did I mention that they were sophomores? By rights, they shouldn't have even been starting this year. Johnson went up against some of the biggest effen left tackles that I've seen at any level. It adds credibility to the notion that teams find the biggest damn guy to play left tackle to protect the QBs blind side.

There is no way on God's green earth that any of our other recruits or freshmen or whatever are going to outplay Boyer and Johnson for meaningful time next year. They are too good and will be even better next year with the experience they had this year. Our D-Backs were exploited because they were terrible in coverage. Plain and simple. And every team we played knew it. Granted, they were young and inexperienced. But as a result they were, well, terrible in coverage.

I don't believe our problems are with the line per se. It's about being where you are supposed to be on every play; gap control. We didn't have it early in the year and got much better by the end. Some of that was the line, some of it was the backers. Plenty of blame to go around on that. But you can't ignore the fact that YSU had 67 net yards rushing for an average of 2 yards per rush. This from a team that torched us with the run last year.

I guess I just don't think you have considered the year our D-ends had. Gratzek finished well but started off slow. He we be dominant next year but so will Boyer and Johnson. What we need is someone to replace Fairbairn that can jam up the middle like he did and better play from our secondary.

They just have to learn how to keep contain. Saw them get pinned inside this year so many times it was frustrating. Don't know if it was fatigue or just not trusting the system but when you are still making the same mistakes in game #11 as you are making in game #1 than this needs to be looked at. While I agree with you that they are solid players they where starting because there was simply no one else. We had a converted TE and a guy who was playing basketball last year as their backups. Hopefully next season some of the freshmen can step up and be productive and give these guys a rest every once in a while.

ScooterMN
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
They just have to learn how to keep contain.Saw them get pinned inside this year so many times it was frustrating. Don't know if it was fatigue or just not trusting the system but when you are still making the same mistakes in game #11 as you are making in game #1 than this needs to be looked at. While I agree with you that they are solid players they where starting because there was simply no one else.

Always true that when you're responsible for contain, you'd better have contain. But the D-ends aren't always responsible for contain. Unfortunately for us, we have no way of knowing if the lost contain situations you speak of were the responsibility of the D-ends or outside backers. But your point is well taken.

Grizzled
11-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Always true that when you're responsible for contain, you'd better have contain. But the D-ends aren't always responsible for contain. Unfortunately for us, we have no way of knowing if the lost contain situations you speak of were the responsibility of the D-ends or outside backers. But your point is well taken.

Agreed. The plays I remember there was no one coming off the edge or no one flowing over the top so I'm assuming it was their responibility. If they did not have contain than it falls on the d-coordinator as poor scheming.

I am in no way negative on these two guys though. I thought from watching them as freshman they where going to be solid. I just wish in fairness to them that they would have backups who where solid enough to give them extended breaks and not just a play here and there. Similar to what they where able to do for Compton and Lardnois. With all the d-ends we brought in last year hopefully we can find two to help these guys out.

OldBison
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I think a home playoff game or 2 in 2010 would be in order as well.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GOB1SON
11-23-2009, 03:01 PM
A little thread drift here going on here.....

This thread is why college sports, and football in particular, is awesome.

After this weekend, I am clinically depressed. Popping prozacs like tic-tacs. It is raining and my pregnant wife is hormonal.

But I stopped and got my tickets for Friday and can't wait for the double header.

And on November 23, I am online looking at hotels in Lawrence KS and Cedar Falls, IA and I can't wait for 09/04/2010.

Hope springs eternal...

Go Bison!

IzzyFlexion
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM

From what I saw from Matt Phillips, I'm comfortable with him at the nose.

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
After how optimistic we were about the D during last year's preseason, I'm hesitant to say anything...but I like that we have starters returning. All I'm saying.

HandoEX
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
After how optimistic we were about the D during last year's preseason, I'm hesitant to say anything...but I like that we have starters returning. All I'm saying.

Most of us knew this would be a down year....personally, I try to stay positive and hope for the best but even my kool aid drinking side knew deep down this wasn't going to be a great year with all the problems the team had and what they lost after the '08 season. I am confident right now that next year will be improved, something I wasn't last year. GO BISON!

Kansas will be worse next year than Iowa State was this year. Things are in shambles in Lawrence right now. They're about to end the season with 7 straight losses and a head coach that seems to be getting run out of town. Nasty.

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Most of us knew this would be a down year....personally, I try to stay positive and hope for the best but even my kool aid drinking side knew deep down this wasn't going to be a great year with all the problems the team had and what they lost after the '08 season. I am confident right now that next year will be improved, something I wasn't last year. GO BISON!

Kansas will be worse next year than Iowa State was this year. Things are in shambles in Lawrence right now. They're about to end the season with 7 straight losses and a head coach that seems to be getting run out of town. Nasty.

One thing you have to like about Mangino is that his second chin is bigger than my head.

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd agree that Kansas will be worse-off. They lose people but on the whole I think they'd recruit better than Iowa State simply by virtue of not being Iowa State. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it. Either way, this already has the makings of a possible big win to start off the 2010 season the right way.

Sort of wishing I didn't start this thread so I wouldn't have to wait six months for the game...;)

TheBisonator
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
285 days until kickoff in Lawrence!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

SDbison
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
285 days until kickoff in Lawrence!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:
How many days until Bohl gets fired?
So is next season a success if the Bison go 5-6 or 6-5?
Tired of the ineptitude. Time for a new coach who knows how to recruit, instill discipline,and make gameday decisions...........

huskon4ever
11-23-2009, 05:13 PM
So after watching them play 3-4 times this year, Kansas is a solid team with very good coaching. Yes Mangino is on the hot seat, but with all the conflicting reports coming out of Lawrence, I would be surprised if someone else is in his spot next year. They lose Reesing, Sharpe and Meier and most likely Briscoe who I'm assuming will be entering the draft meaning most of their playmakers will be gone. But they have a few QBs waiting in the wings who will be more than able to get the job done. Plus nobody has ever questioned whether or not KU could score, but rather if their defense could actually stop anyone - sounds very familiar!:(

For NDSU to really have a chance, they are going to have to get a defense that at least stop a drive or two and maybe force a few turnovers. For one thing, the environment definitely should not be that formidable with a capacity ~50,000.

Early prediction based on our coaches inability to actually change anything during the year - KU 38 NDSU - 21.

SDbison
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
So after watching them play 3-4 times this year, Kansas is a solid team with very good coaching. Yes Mangino is on the hot seat, but with all the conflicting reports coming out of Lawrence, I would be surprised if someone else is in his spot next year. They lose Reesing, Sharpe and Meier and most likely Briscoe who I'm assuming will be entering the draft meaning most of their playmakers will be gone. But they have a few QBs waiting in the wings who will be more than able to get the job done. Plus nobody has ever questioned whether or not KU could score, but rather if their defense could actually stop anyone - sounds very familiar!:(

For NDSU to really have a chance, they are going to have to get a defense that at least stop a drive or two and maybe force a few turnovers. For one thing, the environment definitely should not be that formidable with a capacity ~50,000.

Early prediction based on our coaches inability to actually change anything during the year - KU 38 NDSU - 21.
Bison lose 3 starters from the offensive line and only one replacement will have had a significant amount of playing time this past year. Look for the offense to struggle.......give up a turnover or two. The Defense will still struggle cause Breske plays the DB's so far off the wideouts and doesn't make adjustments until its too late. My guess......Kansas 35, NDSU 10.

huskon4ever
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Bison lose 3 starters from the offensive line and only one replacement will have had a significant amount of playing time this past year. Look for the offense to struggle.......give up a turnover or two. The Defense will still struggle cause Breske plays the DB's so far off the wideouts and doesn't make adjustments until its too late. My guess......Kansas 35, NDSU 10.

Yeah, I guess I'm just hoping that our passing game will be better even though I expect our running game to be worse, especially early on. 21 points was pry a stretch, but I guess a guy can hope.:hide:

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Lawrance Is Gonna Be Fun!

Payback Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start Planning Now!!

BeckerBison
11-24-2009, 01:04 AM

BisonTug-

Get me the hotel info as I am bringing the whole family to Lawerence. Looking forward to 2010. Royals game will be good too. Maybe a chiefs pre-season game? Missed you at Youngstown game last weekend.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-24-2009, 01:11 AM
How many days until Bohl gets fired?
So is next season a success if the Bison go 5-6 or 6-5?
Tired of the ineptitude. Time for a new coach who knows how to recruit, instill discipline,and make gameday decisions...........

alright SD just be thankful you aren't a Notre Dame fan or an Alum of Notre Dame, they have had terrible years the last 6+ years and look at Michigan...we've had 2 bad years and those 2 programs I mentioned are really big programs that just are in a tough time right now, every program has it. I would love for you to prove to me that there isn't 1 team/program at any level of football have a few down years in their history. Yes its been bad, but you know as well as I know you'll be at all the games next year and in that west lot.

See ya in Lawrence SD!!!!

bkit29
11-24-2009, 02:25 AM
just in case anyone is curious, its 627.79 miles from the fargodome to memorial stadium. An estimated drive of aprox. 9hrs 15min.

56BISON73
11-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Only 312 for me. A nice short trip for a change:D

Bisontug
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
BisonTug-

Get me the hotel info as I am bringing the whole family to Lawerence. Looking forward to 2010. Royals game will be good too. Maybe a chiefs pre-season game? Missed you at Youngstown game last weekend.

Will do... gonna stay at the same hotel we staye at for the Chiefs-Vikes in Overland Park... Just gonna be the Mrs. and myself for that weekend... I watched the YSU game on the web if that is any consolation... tried out some new swear word combinations towards the end too...:banghead:

SDbison
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
alright SD just be thankful you aren't a Notre Dame fan or an Alum of Notre Dame, they have had terrible years the last 6+ years and look at Michigan...we've had 2 bad years and those 2 programs I mentioned are really big programs that just are in a tough time right now, every program has it. I would love for you to prove to me that there isn't 1 team/program at any level of football have a few down years in their history. Yes its been bad, but you know as well as I know you'll be at all the games next year and in that west lot.

See ya in Lawrence SD!!!!
Sorry, going to pass on the long roadtrip next year. Nothing is changing my mind.......
Unless someone gets me a ticket, kidnaps me, drives me down and back while forcing me to drink alcohol and hang with strippers the entire time. Only then I might go.......

BlueBisonRock
11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry, going to pass on the long roadtrip next year. Nothing is changing my mind.......
Unless someone gets me a ticket, kidnaps me, drives me down and back while forcing me to drink alcohol and hang with strippers the entire time. Only then I might go.......

Sounds like a job for Slick and Sav! :bong:

Sav, I am good for a financial contribution to help make this happen. Anyone else?

DjKyRo
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a job for Slick and Sav! :bong:

Sav, I am good for a financial contribution to help make this happen. Anyone else?

Actually, if the band isn't going (with, given the DoFA's lack of capital lately, is likely to not happen) I'd be very down with hitting up this game. I'll be 20 so won't be able to drink (legally :blush: ) but would be down to DD or contribute whatever's necessary if a few guys are looking to road trip down there!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-25-2009, 01:40 AM

alright I'll be at your door come September see ya then :)

BisoninNWMN
11-25-2009, 11:15 AM

......just saw the word "strippers"......count me in......:D :D :D :D :D

Bisonfan1
11-25-2009, 02:39 PM

So what has changed from our other road trips ??

NDSUFan_Sav
11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
So what has changed from our other road trips ??

I've been joining them, so if you ask me it'd be a privilege to attend :)

TransAmBison
11-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I have to say, SD has sweetened the pot...tell me more...

Bisonfan1
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I have to say, SD has sweetened the pot...tell me more...

What you dont know, is what your wife cant get out of you. :D: