PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upset with Bohls time management?

HerdBot
11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
OK, it's the last drive and there is about 2 minutes left and we have 3 timeouts. With about a minute left, it's clear they are probably going to kick a field goal so we should have been preparing to drive down the field to kick a game winning or game tying field goal. Instead he lets them run the clock down to 22 seconds when they score. That gave us 1 kick return and 2 plays. We finished the game with 2 full timeouts. Had we taken them we could have saved time and given our defense a much needed rest. I think this is a big time overlooked mistake. Anyone disagree?

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
OK, it's the last drive and there is about 2 minutes left and we have 3 timeouts. With about a minute left, it's clear they are probably going to kick a field goal so we should have been preparing to drive down the field to kick a game winning or game tying field goal. Instead he lets them run the clock down to 22 seconds when they score. That gave us 1 kick return and 2 plays. We finished the game with 2 full timeouts. Had we taken them we could have saved time and given our defense a much needed rest. I think this is a big time overlooked mistake. Anyone disagree?

Nope...'cause YSU was going to score 3 or 7. Time was not their problem. It was ours. But in Bohl's defense...he showed a lot of confidence in our defense...(cough)...:cool:

HerdBot
11-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Nope...'cause YSU was going to score 3 or 7. Time was not their problem. It was ours. But in Bohl's defense...he showed a lot of confidence in our defense...(cough)...:cool:

yeah but we had 2 timeouts left and they were in field goal range with more than a minute left. Blocking a field goal has nothing to do with faith in defense. It was a given that the game was tied at that point in time. We needed to think ahead to try to win the game with a last second field goal.

If he wanted to give the defense a chance they should have been given a breather and some time to get the right personel on the field. Bottom line is we finished the game with 2 timeouts left on the last drive. Sounds to me like he was playing for OT.

BisonNolesFan77
11-21-2009, 10:29 PM

What? That doesn't really make sense...time was our problem, but you are fine with Bohl walking into the locker room with 2 T/O's? You have got to take them...

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah but we had 2 timeouts left and they were in field goal range with more than a minute left. Blocking a field goal has nothing to do with faith in defense. It was a given that the game was tied at that point in time. We needed to think ahead to try to win the game with a last second field goal.

If he wanted to give the defense a chance they should have been given a breather and some time to get the right personel on the field. Bottom line is we finished the game with 2 timeouts left on the last drive. Sounds to me like he was playing for OT.

I was agreeing with you gabe. You asked if anyone disagreed. I said 'nope.'

Bison"FANatic"
11-21-2009, 10:34 PM
No Ca was answering the question "anyone disagree" in gabes post. He is agreeing that the time was mismanaged.

sorry Ca beat me to it.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 10:34 PM
What? That doesn't really make sense...time was our problem, but you are fine with Bohl walking into the locker room with 2 T/O's? You have got to take them...

There's been a misunderstanding here. I was agreeing with gabe. Could have written it better.

HerdBot
11-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I was agreeing with you gabe. You asked if anyone disagreed. I said 'nope.'

Sorry I misread... so you DO AGREE that Bohl fd up the time management at the end!

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Sorry I misread... so you DO AGREE that Bohl fd up the time management at the end!

Absolutely...I call it 'NFL Stupid.' Kinda like..."well, that's the way it's always been done...so we're gonna do it wrong again."

It's one of the reasons why I hate the NFL. As far as I'm concerned...regarding coaches...it could stand for 'Not For Long.'

If I were in the admin. at NDSU, I'd apply the NFL rule.

If a coach doesn't give its team every possible chance to win...it's NFL time. Since when have we made a defensive stand to win a game? I can't remember it. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

semobison
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Time management didnt lose us this game. The prevent defense we played after we took an 11 point lead lost us the game. Our secondary cant cover or tackle, so our only chance was to send pressure. It was working earlier. Their QB was erratic when he didnt have time.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Time management didnt lose us this game. The prevent defense we played after we took an 11 point lead lost us the game. Our secondary cant cover or tackle, so our only chance was to send pressure. It was working earlier. Their QB was erratic when he didnt have time.

Oh...I agree with this too. I couldn't begin to count the ways that our defense sucks...but when you know that it does...then you have to be creative.

semobison
11-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Or, maybe with a minute to go we should have let them score so we would have had a minute and our timeouts...sheesh

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Or, maybe with a minute to go we should have let them score so we would have had a minute and our timeouts...sheesh

Hey...you hit on something here. I can't think of the guy's name...one of the big old-time NFL coaches...Giants...Cowboys...etc. He did this in a game and it backfired. He caught royal hell for it...but it was still the right thing to do. :nod: :nod: :nod: At the very least, stop the damn clock so that the offense has a chance.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 01:43 AM

You miss my point they already were in field goal range with a chip shot. Obviously the goal wwa to keep them out of the endzone but the timeout saves time and prepares the defense while keeping them fresh

CaBisonFan
11-22-2009, 02:01 AM
You miss my point they already were in field goal range with a chip shot. Obviously the goal wwa to keep them out of the endzone but the timeout saves time and prepares the defense while keeping them fresh

I would have called the timeouts, because YSU was going to score either 3 or 7.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Hey...you hit on something here. I can't think of the guy's name...one of the big old-time NFL coaches...Giants...Cowboys...etc. He did this in a game and it backfired. He caught royal hell for it...but it was still the right thing to do. :nod: :nod: :nod: At the very least, stop the damn clock so that the offense has a chance.

Mike Holmgren vs the Broncos in the Superbowl. Broncos had it 1st & goal from the one with not much time on the clock. He let them score and Favre almost lead them on a game winning drive. That wasn't the case here because we already let them get into field goal range with a minute left. We could have had a good minute to drive whether they score 6 or 3. It was bad clock management. Period.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 02:16 AM
It was a combo of the 2. This was a multi level screwup.

Herd
11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Clock management was terrible, just like at Sam Houston. We could have left ourselves 60 to 90 seconds, instead we just let the other team run the clock down while we sit on Timeouts. Absolutely stupid. You have to assume that they are going to score and have a backup plan. We are just left with our pants down and NO CHANCE of winning, None, Zero.

You don't need TO's on offense, because you are running plays beyond 10 yards and clock stops on first down or incomplete passes. How you can let the other team run the clock down to 22 seconds is inexcusable. It is crazy. What in the hell are they thinking!

I could see the whole thing playing out with 4 minutes to go. I would have left of our ofense 60-90 seconds, and we win the game. 22 seconds, what are they thinking!

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Clock management was terrible, just like at Sam Houston. We could have left ourselves 60 to 90 seconds, instead we just let the other team run the clock down while we sit on Timeouts. Absolutely stupid. You have to assume that they are going to score and have a backup plan. We are just left with our pants down and NO CHANCE of winning, None, Zero.

You don't need TO's on offense, because you are running plays beyond 10 yards and clock stops on first down or incomplete passes. How you can let the other team run the clock down to 22 seconds is inexcusable. It is crazy. What in the hell are they thinking!

I could see the whole thing playing out with 4 minutes to go. I would have left of our ofense 60-90 seconds, and we win the game. 22 seconds, what are they thinking!

Even if we held them to a field goal time would have run out. That means Bohl was playing for OT or had no faith in his offense.

tony
11-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Time managagement was way down on the list of things that were wrong in this game. Why the heck was it even an issue. We had a 10 point lead with six minutes or so left. What happened to that? Time outs never should have been an issue.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Time managagement was way down on the list of things that were wrong in this game. Why the heck was it even an issue. We had a 10 point lead with six minutes or so left. What happened to that? Time outs never should have been an issue.

Because with good time management we could have been in position to win DESPITE all the other screw ups. Its the icing on the cake.

ndsubison1
11-22-2009, 03:01 AM
or our defense could've stopped them, or PP shouldnt have fumbled, or our offense could have converted when it counted, or our line could've held a block, or Obarski could kick a ball higher...

CaBisonFan
11-22-2009, 03:29 AM
I think that gabe is aware of the other flaws in the game today. He was specifically addressing the time management in the last few minutes. If ya'll disagree with his 'specific' point...then argue it.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 03:30 AM
or our defense could've stopped them, or PP shouldnt have fumbled, or our offense could have converted when it counted, or our line could've held a block, or Obarski could kick a ball higher...

At least they were in a position to make those mistakes. We had no chance with 22 seconds

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 04:40 AM
I think that gabe is aware of the other flaws in the game today. He was specifically addressing the time management in the last few minutes. If ya'll disagree with his 'specific' point...then argue it.

It's a strange time at Bisonville. Fans are so upset that they can't even acknowledge a big time error because the team is so ridiculously flawed. Any other team would rip their coach a new one over this but most other teams don't suck as bad as us.

ndsubison1
11-22-2009, 04:46 AM
simply said stop YSU and the time issue doesnt matter

56BISON73
11-22-2009, 05:08 AM

Correct.:banghead: This isnt the first game he has shown very poor time management.

ndsubison1
11-22-2009, 05:12 AM
we werent behind so i dont see why this is a time management issue... why call timeout and stop the clock for youngstown? i hate to reiterate but stop them on defense and this is a non-issue

56BISON73
11-22-2009, 05:12 AM

You cant send pressure with just 3 people up front. You also cant cover people when the d-backs dont break to the ball. I actually saw a d-back stand on the goal line. The receiver caught the ball on the 5 and the d-back didnt break untill the ball was caught. He actually stood there and watched.

CaBisonFan
11-22-2009, 05:18 AM
we werent behind so i dont see why this is a time management issue... why call timeout and stop the clock for youngstown? i hate to reiterate but stop them on defense and this is a non-issue

Because they were easily in field goal range and the clock was running. The odds of them scoring a touchdown were good, based upon how easily they had been moving the ball. Call the timeouts, they get their points...and we have somewhere between 1 and 2 minutes to drive the field...whether we're behind or tied. He let the clock run down when they 'clearly' were going to get some points.

HerdBot
11-22-2009, 05:33 AM

We're not looking the other dozens of glaring weaknesses on the team... just this one situation. In the end, it was the most important aspect of the game because at the time, getting the ball back and scoring was the most important part of the game.

This was completely CONTROLLABLE and he F'd it up.

99Bison
11-22-2009, 07:05 AM
You are correct gabe, was wondering same thing in last 1.5 min.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-22-2009, 07:11 AM
time management??? imo we were conservative on offense once we were up 35-24 i mean seriously.

99Bison
11-22-2009, 07:14 AM
time management??? imo we were conservative on offense once we were up 35-24 i mean seriously.

Yep that too, oh there's plenty of issues to go around.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Yep that too, oh there's plenty of issues to go around.

man this sucks time to just go and hibernate now i guess and come out when the basketball team plays....such a frustrating season/day i mean it couldn't have gone any worse in all sports today.

roadwarrior
11-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Was there a rule change that I missed??

More than once in the last quarter I noticed that the clock was moving after an out of bounds play.

Herd
11-22-2009, 01:37 PM
It isn't the coaching staff's job with 4:05 to go to consider anything but winning the game. 1st Qtr fumbles and lost chances throughout the game do not matter. You assume the worst (the other team scores a TD) and you coach to leave your team time to comeback and win.

How do you sit on timeouts while YSU runs it down to 22 seconds? It is inexcusable! You do not assume your defense holds, that's not how you coach. You make a backup plan in case the worst (TD) happens. Those of you are are lamenting what if's in the 1st qtr are crazy. It doesn't affect coaching with 4:05 to go, it is water under the bridge, it doesn't matter.

They could have done this in the 1st Qtr, 1st Half, . . . blah, blah, blah. It doesn't affect coaching with 4:05 to play. If you assume your defense is going to hold YSU, then you are a total idiot. What were the betting odds on that!

stevdock
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Was there a rule change that I missed??

More than once in the last quarter I noticed that the clock was moving after an out of bounds play.

Actually there was a rule change a couple of years ago. Except in the last 2 minutes of each half, as soon as the ball is spotted after an out of bounds play the clock is to restart. I hate the rule, but it's to speed up a TV game. I think the first year they found that a TV game went from an average of around 3:15 down to 3:07 or something like that.

While we are on rules, can somebody explain to me the 2 after the play penalties on Austin Richards? I saw both of them they looked the same and they were after we ran for a 1st down, but they were handled differently. One of a 1st and 10 but backed up 15 yards. The other was 15 from the spot of the foul, which was a first down, but then it was 2nd and 13. Why were they handled differently??

BisoninNWMN
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Upset with:.........

Passing game
Everything on defense
Special teams
Horrible kicking game
Player leadership
Coaching---lack of
Mental toughness---needless penalties
Underutilized players----Voight

what else.......geeez

Tatanka
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Just heard from a source "in the know" this morning that the two timeouts left over from teh YSU game will in fact be called at the spring game to freeze the punter (no point in freezing the place kickers).

IzzyFlexion
11-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Actually there was a rule change a couple of years ago. Except in the last 2 minutes of each half, as soon as the ball is spotted after an out of bounds play the clock is to restart. I hate the rule, but it's to speed up a TV game. I think the first year they found that a TV game went from an average of around 3:15 down to 3:07 or something like that.

While we are on rules, can somebody explain to me the 2 after the play penalties on Austin Richards? I saw both of them they looked the same and they were after we ran for a 1st down, but they were handled differently. One of a 1st and 10 but backed up 15 yards. The other was 15 from the spot of the foul, which was a first down, but then it was 2nd and 13. Why were they handled differently??

I absolutely HATE this rule.