PDA

View Full Version : How are we doing in North Dakota recruiting?

CaBisonFan
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Just wondering how we're doing with recruits that UND wants too. Anybody have specific info. on that?

How about the running back from Bismarck High School?

tony
11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Just wondering how we're doing with recruits that UND wants too. Anybody have specific info. on that?

How about the running back from Bismarck High School?

NDSU has verbals from the Class AAA (Thorton) and Class AA (Smith) players of the year as well as an outside linebacker from Grand Forks (Gefroh). UND has no in-state verbals that I'm aware of. They offered Smith but he didn't visit - I think Thorton passed on a visit to UND too.

Ryan Smith and Jake Miller are very similar players so I'm not sure how hard NDSU is going after Miller.

westnodak93bison
11-20-2009, 07:47 PM
good enough imho, ND will not make or break the team. MN and WI are the two key states imho. ND just doesnt have the numbers.

THEsocalledfan
11-20-2009, 07:50 PM
good enough imho, ND will not make or break the team. MN and WI are the two key states imho. ND just doesnt have the numbers.

Agreed. I was surpirsed by the thread for this very reason, although I certainly like to keep the ND kids who can play at this level, home.

Twentysix
11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Tell yah what, if we dont get that kicker from shanley for the year after next im gonna go batty.

41 yd feildgoal as a juniour in HS!

Kickoff out the back of the endzone as a juniour in HS! (Granted they dont kick from the same spot as college but hes got alot of time to strengthen the leg even more)

tony
11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Tell yah what, if we dont get that kicker from shanley for the year after next im gonna go batty.

Kickoff out the back of the endzone as a juniour in HS! (Granted they dont kick from the same spot as college but hes got alot of time to strengthen the leg even more)

Connor McGovern looks like a DI lineman too.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2009, 08:49 PM

I believe that North Dakota 'will' make or break the team. It is vital to have in-state players on the squad for several reasons...one being that the public (fan base) feels better about things. And yes...MN & WI have always been a huge part of the equation. I believe that this is worth discussion. I want NDSU to own North Dakota.

I also think that Zack Miller should be recruited whether we have Ryan Smith or not. If he's a blue-chip athlete, we want him...IMO.

Bison bison
11-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Dan Jordan -> soccer player.

I think with a little coaching he could hit from 50.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Agreed. I was surpirsed by the thread for this very reason, although I certainly like to keep the ND kids who can play at this level, home.

What's wrong with a North Dakota thread? It's pretty obvious that we can't just recruit in North Dakota because of the population...but to me, it's interesting. I 'am not' in the 'recruit only North Dakota kids' camp at all.

RedRiver
11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
All of this has been discussed in other threads. NDSU usually signs 2-4 ND recruits every year. This year is no different as there are 3 commitments. Most will agree that they are the top 3 recruits in the state. The only other offer has been Beck from Langdon. So I'd say the recruiting is complete in ND.

EndZoneQB
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I believe that North Dakota 'will' make or break the team. It is vital to have in-state players on the squad for several reasons...one being that the public (fan base) feels better about things. And yes...MN & WI have always been a huge part of the equation. I believe that this is worth discussion. I want NDSU to own North Dakota.

I also think that Zack Miller should be recruited whether we have Ryan Smith or not. If he's a blue-chip athlete, we want him...IMO.

We DO own ND at this point, no if, ands, or buts about it. Secondly, I'm fairly certain this has been discussed indepth in a few other threads(with you taking part in the discussion), and we do NOT need Miller. NDSU looked at him and didn't even offer him. He's an 800m runner, not a sprinter, that speed doesn't translate well to football, especially at the FCS level. If he goes to UND and has a great career, then awesome for them. We can't give all of our scholarships to ND players just "because" they are the best in the state. We need recruits that are going to help us win. These aren't the DII days where we can win with mostly ND kids, we just don't have the talent/size/speed in this state.

Bottomline, we'll get the kids we want, atleast right now, and I'm fine with that. We'll fill gaps with ND kids, and build a team with the MN kids we've been winning with lately.

RRVBISON
11-20-2009, 10:03 PM
NDSU has verbals from the Class AAA (Thorton) and Class AA (Smith) players of the year as well as an outside linebacker from Grand Forks (Gefroh). UND has no in-state verbals that I'm aware of. They offered Smith but he didn't visit - I think Thorton passed on a visit to UND too.

Ryan Smith and Jake Miller are very similar players so I'm not sure how hard NDSU is going after Miller.

I've heard Miller doesn't plan on playing football next year. My information is at least second hand if not third. Maybe some of our Bismarck friends can comment on this.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2009, 10:31 PM
We DO own ND at this point, no if, ands, or buts about it. Secondly, I'm fairly certain this has been discussed indepth in a few other threads(with you taking part in the discussion), and we do NOT need Miller. NDSU looked at him and didn't even offer him. He's an 800m runner, not a sprinter, that speed doesn't translate well to football, especially at the FCS level. If he goes to UND and has a great career, then awesome for them. We can't give all of our scholarships to ND players just "because" they are the best in the state. We need recruits that are going to help us win. These aren't the DII days where we can win with mostly ND kids, we just don't have the talent/size/speed in this state.

Bottomline, we'll get the kids we want, atleast right now, and I'm fine with that. We'll fill gaps with ND kids, and build a team with the MN kids we've been winning with lately.

Oh...do we recruit players that will help us win?....invaluable...:cool:

EndZoneQB
11-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh...do we recruit players that will help us win?....invaluable...:cool:

haha shut it! Thats enough lip out of you! Well, they help us win 3 games anyway...:hide: haha jk.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
haha shut it! Thats enough lip out of you! Well, they help us win 3 games anyway...:hide: haha jk.

Just so you know...I wasn't criticizing our recruiting. I was just commenting on the statement about the fact that we recruit players to win...duh. Wow...people are in such great moods. :ranting: I pose a simple question, and it turns into this. So it's been discussed before. Big deal. Don't read it...and don't reply. Then it will go away.

The recruiting thread is great...but I was interested in hearing more about North Dakota athletes. I beg forgiveness for my sin.

chuckles
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM

I doubt the public (fan base) is affected by where we recruit. The average fan wants to see a solid Bison team that wins games. They could care less if the starting QB is from ND, MN, WI, or TX. As long as he is a decent product and winning games, the public/fans are happy!

That being said, most of us on here aren't 'average fans' and may look at this a little closer.

BigDeal
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Just so you know...I wasn't criticizing our recruiting. I was just commenting on the statement about the fact that we recruit players to win...duh. Wow...people are in such great moods. :ranting: I pose a simple question, and it turns into this. So it's been discussed before. Big deal. Don't read it...and don't reply. Then it will go away.

The recruiting thread is great...but I was interested in hearing more about North Dakota athletes. I beg forgiveness for my sin.

Yes, may I help you?

Kermit
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
The only other offer has been Beck from Langdon. So I'd say the recruiting is complete in ND.

Pretty sure that Beck's current offer is for a walk-on.

EndZoneQB
11-20-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm not sure this was directed at me, but since you quoted me, I'll assume it was...sorry if that came off the wrong way, that was completely tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. I'm a smartass sometimes, and on the internet its hard to convey.

Rockbear99
11-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes I like to see ND kids succeed at NDSU but if a kid comes in from another state North Dakota will adopt him.

Bison"FANatic"
11-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure this was directed at me, but since you quoted me, I'll assume it was...sorry if that came off the wrong way, that was completely tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. I'm a smartass sometimes, and on the internet its hard to convey.

the haha and jk I thought conveyed it well. Ca must just be a little jumpy today.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 01:19 AM
the haha and jk I thought conveyed it well. Ca must just be a little jumpy today.

No...I misunderstood it.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 01:20 AM

Yup...I missed it. Probably should have been obvious, but I definitely didn't read it correctly. Sorry...no harm.

Mr. Burgundy
11-21-2009, 01:51 AM
CaBison won't see this, because he advised me that I am on his "ignore" list, but NDSU has yet to lose a recruit in ND since moving to D1. Other than Dressler 6 years ago (when we chose Shamen), I am yet to see a kid from ND that I would love to have at NDSU. We are not talking about Qvale again either. He was bigtime and wasn't staying in ND.

So, I would say we are doing REALLY well at keeping our tradition of getting the best instate kids every single year. This year is no exception.

Gameday tomorrow, lets finish this year off strong. GO BISON

EndZoneQB
11-21-2009, 02:18 AM
CaBison won't see this, because he advised me that I am on his "ignore" list, but NDSU has yet to lose a recruit in ND since moving to D1. Other than Dressler 6 years ago (when we chose Shamen), I am yet to see a kid from ND that I would love to have at NDSU. We are not talking about Qvale again either. He was bigtime and wasn't staying in ND.

So, I would say we are doing REALLY well at keeping our tradition of getting the best instate kids every single year. This year is no exception.

Gameday tomorrow, lets finish this year off strong. GO BISON

Agreed, that was pretty much my point my first post. As far as I'm concerned, we get who we want from ND without much fight. It might change in the future(who knows??) but lets face it, we have are MVFC>GWC + eligibility! haha.

Come on over for a das boot tomorrow!

westnodak93bison
11-21-2009, 02:21 AM
While I agree we must get the ND players we want I hope the staff never feels pressured into offering a kid just because they are from ND. If the kid is borderline then we ask them to walk one and if they wont then it wasnt meant to be.

DjKyRo
11-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Yes I like to see ND kids succeed at NDSU but if a kid comes in from another state North Dakota will adopt him.

Case in point - Steve Walker. Joe Mays.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Case in point - Steve Walker. Joe Mays.

There's no doubt that we have to recruit in several states. I hope that everybody understands that I was just curious about the ND kids. Those 8 national championships wouldn't have been won without Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, and a few Nebraska kids. Could probably add a few others. And in DI...it's even more important.

coldspot
11-21-2009, 03:12 AM
since the general concensus is that we dont need the miller kid since we got smith, why not offer the miller kid a preferred walkon spot? maybe down the road he could earn a scholarship. and if football doesnt work out for him, he can be a member of our outstanding track team :D

please dont hate me

NDSUDude
11-21-2009, 03:41 AM
There is more Talent in ND then people realize, and they all don't go to NDSU. Remeber Brent Qvale? The 6-foot-7 300-pound offensive lineman from Williston who is currently playing for the University of Nebraska, he was expected to get playing time as a true freshman at right guard but got hurt at the end of camp. The talent is here.

DIBISON
11-21-2009, 04:50 AM
All of this has been discussed in other threads. NDSU usually signs 2-4 ND recruits every year. This year is no different as there are 3 commitments. Most will agree that they are the top 3 recruits in the state. The only other offer has been Beck from Langdon. So I'd say the recruiting is complete in ND.

Your correct. Beck was probably offered a preferred walk-on. Yes, Qvale is big-time but those type of recruits aren't every year in ND. We don't know is Miller from Bismarck has been offered preferred walk-on, just know for sure we got the speed in Smith from Wahpeton.

RunDMc34
11-21-2009, 05:40 AM

I believe that if you want us to recruit a kid you should at least get his name right that is all!

Signed Jake Miller (aka not Zack Miller)

EndZoneQB
11-21-2009, 05:41 AM
There is more Talent in ND then people realize, and they all don't go to NDSU. Remeber Brent Qvale? The 6-foot-7 300-pound offensive lineman from Williston who is currently playing for the University of Nebraska, he was expected to get playing time as a true freshman at right guard but got hurt at the end of camp. The talent is here.

yeah x like 3...theres only a couple really talented kids every year...NDSU gets them all, except for the high end prospects...which is generally to be expeced...

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 06:06 AM
I believe that if you want us to recruit a kid you should at least get his name right that is all!

Signed Jake Miller (aka not Zack Miller)

And I agree with that. Not sure where I got Zack.

ndsubison1
11-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I wish we had Zach Miller, tight end for the Raiders :)

Jdubs21
11-21-2009, 12:44 PM
we are doing just fine in ND recruiting...hate to say it but the best ND kids in the state are most times not better than the Wisconsin, Illinois, texas, MN, etc.....we just cant be handing out schollies to every decent player in the state, obiviously we are hear to win, not give every nd kid a chance to play for the bison...im from ND and will never leave this place, but this state isnt exactly a football player breeding ground for all star football players

TateMosersneighbor
11-21-2009, 01:12 PM
This and everything else on this website has been discussed already...shut er down.

semobison
11-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Anybody who thinks Jake Miller isnt fast enough becuse he runs the 800, doesnt know what he is talking about. If your a 1:57 half miler you have damn good speed! What I like about Jake is his field vision, ability to change direction, and his quickness. I dont think he plays RB at FCS level though. That being said, I think he could play for us. Damn good football player!

Castor Troy
11-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Anybody who thinks Jake Miller isnt fast enough becuse he runs the 800, doesnt know what he is talking about. If your a 1:57 half miler you have damn good speed! What I like about Jake is his field vision, ability to change direction, and his quickness. I dont think he plays RB at FCS level though. That being said, I think he could play for us. Damn good football player!

Well, he does run a 50 second 400, which is pretty good but certainly not explosive. You said it yourself, he will probably not be an FCS running back. So what position could he play for the Bison? Maybe a kick and punt returner or a slot receiver. With his shiftiness and vision w/o the explosive speed, this role would serve him well. I can see your point, but not someone you'd offer a scholarship IMHO.

BisonNeil
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Connor McGovern looks like a DI lineman too.

Laqua has said that if McGovern continues to develop he can get an FBS scholarship offer. He's a big kid who also wrestles to improve his balance as an OL. He is a solid 6'4" and 280lbs. Not much fat on him when I last saw him in August.

Connor's parents pay for a Bison scholarship and his grandparents (Ron and Karen Offutt) give an OL scholarhip.

I agree with you Tony, he could be a nice addition for the 2011 class.

tony
11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I know it bores some people but North Dakota recruiting is an interesting subplot in the whole recruiting war - but it's only that: an interesting subplot. NDSU could win every North Dakota recruiting battle from here to eternity and never get into the playoffs. If they won every recruiting battle in Minnesota and Wisconsin, they'd be national champs (of course, that's not going to happen because so many BCS teams recruit there.)

CaBisonFan
11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Laqua has said that if McGovern continues to develop he can get an FBS scholarship offer. He's a big kid who also wrestles to improve his balance as an OL. He is a solid 6'4" and 280lbs. Not much fat on him when I last saw him in August.

Connor's parents pay for a Bison scholarship and his grandparents (Ron and Karen Offutt) give an OL scholarhip.

I agree with you Tony, he could be a nice addition for the 2011 class.

And this is why I asked the question. This isn't for you Neil, but this topic 'is' worth discussing. I think it's very interesting. Why not have a thread to talk about kids from North Dakota? And no...not everything here has been discussed. If it's so damned boring...don't read it. Again, that wasn't for you Neil. Thanks for actually adding to the discussion.

EndZoneQB
11-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Well, he does run a 50 second 400, which is pretty good but certainly not explosive. You said it yourself, he will probably not be an FCS running back. So what position could he play for the Bison? Maybe a kick and punt returner or a slot receiver. With his shiftiness and vision w/o the explosive speed, this role would serve him well. I can see your point, but not someone you'd offer a scholarship IMHO.

Exactly my point. And our lack of an offer speaks to the validity of this point, atleast to some extent.

Either way, he may be fast, but he's probably not FCS RB fast...and that was ultimately my point.

Grizzled
11-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Exactly my point. And our lack of an offer speaks to the validity of this point, atleast to some extent.

Either way, he may be fast, but he's probably not FCS RB fast...and that was ultimately my point.

Are you guys serious? There is a difference between being track fast and being football fast. Being fast on the track doesn't always translate to being fast on the field. Put extra pounds of pads on a guy and some guys deal with it and others don't.

EndZoneQB
11-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Are you guys serious? There is a difference between being track fast and being football fast. Being fast on the track doesn't always translate to being fast on the field. Put extra pounds of pads on a guy and some guys deal with it and others don't.

I'm confused. You quoted me, questioned my point, but also backed it up. I am the one saying he doesn't have the speed we were looking for...which is one of the reasons we didn't offer him. He's 4'' taller than Ryan Smith, so you know his size is not the issue. You are right tho, football speed is way different. People can clock out slowish, and still "play fast", or vice versa...

CaBisonFan
11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Jake Miller has proven that he is a football player...and a real competitor. I'll make a prediction. He'll go to UND...we'll end up playing them before he graduates...and he'll make us pay for it.

MontBison
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
So I know this is off topic, but it reguards a kid one state over. Do you know if we have offered Matt Miller from Helena Capital. I've be bale to see him play a few times this year and the kid is a FREAK. Now all indications are that he will go big time 1 A. but from the sound of it he would like to be some what close to home.

BisonNolesFan77
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Jake Miller has proven that he is a football player...and a real competitor. I'll make a prediction. He'll go to UND...we'll end up playing them before he graduates...and he'll make us pay for it.

Has Ryan Smith not proven that he is a football player and a real competitor? This has been hashed over and over again on here, Smith and Miller are virtually the same back, we cant offer two nearly identical RB's with other pressing needs on this team, mainly on the Defensive side of the ball. Look at the depth of the RB position, Voightlander and McNorton will be Jrs., Sigers and Ojuri will be a Soph. and a RFr., and then add in Smith. The fact that he didn't recieve an offer speaks volumes that the staff wanted Smith and he was there #1 RB in ND to them.

I will say that I could still see another RB in this class, but, it will be an outstate back and a bigger back, 6'0" with a build to get bigger, something along the lines of another Ojuri type.

EndZoneQB
11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Has Ryan Smith not proven that he is a football player and a real competitor? This has been hashed over and over again on here, Smith and Miller are virtually the same back, we cant offer two nearly identical RB's with other pressing needs on this team, mainly on the Defensive side of the ball. Look at the depth of the RB position, Voightlander and McNorton will be Jrs., Sigers and Ojuri will be a Soph. and a RFr., and then add in Smith. The fact that he didn't recieve an offer speaks volumes that the staff wanted Smith and he was there #1 RB in ND to them.

I will say that I could still see another RB in this class, but, it will be an outstate back and a bigger back, 6'0" with a build to get bigger, something along the lines of another Ojuri type.

100% agreed.

ndsubison1
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
it would be a different story if we werent loaded at RB and we were already deep on the defensive side of the ball

BlueBisonRock
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
There seems to be a lot of debate regarding adding another RB. My key question for determining a scholy recommendation looks at the other side of the ball.

Can Miller play D?
Effectively?

80ALUM
11-23-2009, 02:43 AM
I have heard that Miller would love to play for the Bison. Too bad we don't have a place for him. I like seeing ND boys play for NDSU but realize the state does not have the talent pool other states have. I have noticed the ND players bring a good fan following with them and also do not seem to cause any discipline problems on the team.

CaBisonFan
11-23-2009, 08:24 AM
There seems to be a lot of debate regarding adding another RB. My key question for determining a scholy recommendation looks at the other side of the ball.

Can Miller play D?
Effectively?

Anyone know if he plays D in high school?