PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays v The Bears

tony
11-19-2009, 11:06 PM
http://blogs.delawareonline.com/eagles/2009/11/19/another-new-man-in-the-middle/

Reporters spoke with Mays, Trotter and Gocong after practice, and the consensus seemed to suggest that Mays is a safe bet to see snaps in the middle.

MPLSbisonFAN
11-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I hope joe gets some snaps that would be great to see him "in the middle" again!

RedRiver
11-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Babich & Mays on the same field this Sunday in Chicago.

Mays may get the start at MLB against the Bears!

NDSUstudent
11-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Nice to see Joe is getting a chance. No doubt he will make the most of it!

I would love to see him sack the Bears whiny little QB.

lakesbison
11-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Joe will be starting. thats what I heard.

congrats man!!

ndsubison1
11-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Joe Mays starting

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/260337/

westnodak93bison
11-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Sweeeeeet! Go bust some heads Joe!

NWNDBison
11-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Go get 'em, Joe. Here's hoping for a breakout game for you!

Lots of articles mention Joe Mays as the probable starter Sunday, but this whole story is mostly about Joe:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gWEt95EEEUFS6vC6s3lPa9iquEAg

Why Joe is being given the opportunity:

According to beat writer Jeff McLane, "all signs are pointing to" Joe Mays starting at middle linebacker for the Eagles this week.
Defensive coordinator Sean McDermott admitted that Chris Gocong had a rough game in the middle and would likely head back to the strong side. Will Witherspoon is staying on the weak side, so rookie Moise Fokou will head back to the bench. Mays is solid in the run game, but the Eagles may need Witherspoon to move back to the middle on passing downs. Nov. 19 - 6:10 pm et
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4943&line=159645&spln=1

-----

Wing Tips' interpretation: If the Bears come out with three or more receivers, the Eagles will counter with a nickel or dime defense (one or two linebackers: Witherspoon and Tracy White). Any formations of two receivers or less, the Eagles will counter with their base 4-3, with either Mays or Trotter in the middle - or both, at different points. Mays would probably see more snaps, with Trotter mixed in.
Source: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091120/SPORTS/91120042/Wing+Tips++Eagles++Sheldon+Brown+optimistic+about+ Sunday+night

-----

But when Jordan went out, Gocong played in the middle, Witherspoon went to the weak side and Moise Fokou took over on the strong side.

The result was not good. A Chargers team that went into the game ranked last in the NFL in rushing wound up with 119 rushing yards on the way to a 31-23 win. McDermott refused to blame any one player for the team's shortcomings, and he went out of his way to praise the effort made in a new position by Gocong.
Source: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091120/SPORTS02/911200375/Eagles+injuries+push+door+ajar+for+Mays+once+again

Jdubs21
11-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Good Luck Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

devin45k
11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Can't wait to watch this game!

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Joe said he cant contain himself, should be fun actually watching a bison succeed tonite for first time all fall!!

Twentysix
11-23-2009, 12:32 AM
The nbc reporter plugged joe mays before the opening kickoff!! Thats a good start i hope they talk about him alot

tony
The announcers were just talking about him in their intro... well, gotta go watch now.

Mr. Burgundy
JEEZ....Andrea Kramer just started the show by saying "Chicago's Own Joe Mays will be starting at Middle Linebacker for the Eagles."

How cool is that?

aces1180
11-23-2009, 12:33 AM
I hope he says North Dakota State University and not his HS in the introductions. ;)

stevdock
11-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Come on Bears stop someone already. You know for the first time in WEEKS.

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 12:35 AM
1st guy chest bumpin VICK??? joe.mays. how.sweet.is that!!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 12:38 AM
I hope he says North Dakota State University and not his HS in the introductions. ;)

I'm pretty excited to hear that....LETS GO EAGLES!

It's bout time for the Eagles D

TheDoctor
11-23-2009, 12:39 AM
:banghead: I should have gone! :banghead: He gets his 1st dress of his career at home in Chicago last year and NOW his 1st start ever at home in Chicago! Good luck Joe! I told him to say "Joe Mays THE North Dakota State University". Lets see in a minute if he did it! ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS on the tackle

Twentysix
11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Joe mays, Go bison! haha epic!

aces1180
Go Bison! Woooo!

NDSUFan_Sav
Joe Mays..."Go Bison"

NDSUstudent
Well he just got a tackle and said "Go Bison" in his intro.

tjbison
go bison

lol

bisonbills
Joe Mays.... GO BISON!! HAHAHAHA

TheDoctor
11-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Well The North Dakota State would have been nice but I like "Go Bison" too. Nice big tackle there. Weird that Trotter played the 1st play. ;)

Wally
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Sweet...great to hear that on national tv!!

North Side
11-23-2009, 12:46 AM
"Joe Mays, GO BISON" love it!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Well The North Dakota State would have been nice but I like "Go Bison" too. Nice big tackle there. Weird that Trotter played the 1st play. ;)

I think Eagles are basing who they play with how they think Bears will be lining up whether they think a pass or run!

TheDoctor
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I think Eagles are basing who they play with how they think Bears will be lining up whether they think a pass or run!

Agreed because Joe was out on the 1st 3rd down and then back in when they got the 1st. He definitely will not be in when they KNOW it is a passing down. ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I rather see the Eagles D back out there so I'm somewhat entertained :)

onbison09
11-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Joe Mays.... GO BISON!! HAHAHAHA

I forgot about this!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Youtube anyone? He should've showed his tatoo off when he did that.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 01:00 AM
damn he missed a tackle in the backfield :banghead:

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 01:04 AM
I forgot about this!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Youtube anyone? He should've showed his tatoo off when he did that.

I don't think the camera would be wide enough! ;)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Eagles pass/run is like 70/30 it seems like

TheDoctor
11-23-2009, 01:11 AM
damn he missed a tackle in the backfield :banghead:

Yeah, then he cut back to the middle of the field...where Joe would have been. :(

TheDoctor
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Fired the wrong gap :banghead:. That run was on him...unfortunately. ;)

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Well b1son..with.other.lb blitzing joe got blocked good.,,,,however, joe gets 'caught in the wash' quite a.bit,,,,,,his only downfall ive seen ..

tony
11-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Just popping back to say that Joe Mays was great on the last punt coverage.

Facts
11-23-2009, 02:29 AM
If this #29 runningback for the Eagles is playing in the NFL, I see no reason why PP can't play. they seem about the same size.

ndsubison1
11-23-2009, 02:48 AM
eagles found their answer to their short yardage struggles... mike vick :)

lakesbison
11-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Joe.get benched? trottier is in,..he hasnt been in 2nd half,,,,,but just helped with blocked fg!!!! sigh, a fittin end the to.the worst bison weekend in.history.,,argh....someone sacrifice a live jackrabbit!!!

he's the pusher,..

Twentysix
11-23-2009, 04:38 AM
If this #29 runningback for the Eagles is playing in the NFL, I see no reason why PP can't play. they seem about the same size.

Size isnt always a termination point.

You can overcome size if you are good enough.

PP is. PP isnt tiny. He isnt terribly undersized just slightly.

NWNDBison
11-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Joe got a nice interview near the end of the post-game show on the web. Talked about getting in the game and playing a lot, coming back to Chicago and having family at the game, as well as his participation in the blocked field goal.

Commentator said his game was up and down. He said, "I guess he made some plays. Coach Reid said he did." Not a real ringing endorsement, but they gave him a post-game interview. Maybe because of his first NFL start and being a hometown boy. Also, Joe gives a good interview. Not every NFL player is a real good talker.

DjKyRo
11-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Joe got a nice interview near the end of the post-game show on the web. Talked about getting in the game and playing a lot, coming back to Chicago and having family at the game, as well as his participation in the blocked field goal.

Commentator said his game was up and down. He said, "I guess he made some plays. Coach Reid said he did." Not a real ringing endorsement, but they gave him a post-game interview. Maybe because of his first NFL start and being a hometown boy. Also, Joe gives a good interview. Not every NFL player is a real good talker.

The real question is how his stock is with Coach Reid for future starts? Bit of a rough game, but like he said he had some highlights. Thoughts on his future PT?

ndsubison1
11-23-2009, 05:53 AM
The real question is how his stock is with Coach Reid for future starts? Bit of a rough game, but like he said he had some highlights. Thoughts on his future PT?

once trotter is back to full strength i'm assuming he will start... but they've had numerous injuries at LB and they've had to shuffle them around a bit. he could possibly start a game or two

Woden
11-23-2009, 04:18 PM
once trotter is back to full strength i'm assuming he will start... but they've had numerous injuries at LB and they've had to shuffle them around a bit. he could possibly start a game or two

It's getting to the point where you have to question Joe's future with this team.

He was handed the starting spot in the preseason due to injury, but couldn't hold on to it. More injuries and shuffling of the LB corps and he still had problems seeing the field. The Eagles brought Trotter out of retirement and are doing their best to put him on the field in front of Mays.

How Mays performs the rest of this year will probably determine whether he is a big part of the Eagle's future or not.

UTH
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Joe mays, Go bison! haha epic!

Even more epicer once on youtube...:howdy:

NDSUFan_Sav
11-24-2009, 01:03 AM
It's getting to the point where you have to question Joe's future with this team.

He was handed the starting spot in the preseason due to injury, but couldn't hold on to it. More injuries and shuffling of the LB corps and he still had problems seeing the field. The Eagles brought Trotter out of retirement and are doing their best to put him on the field in front of Mays.

How Mays performs the rest of this year will probably determine whether he is a big part of the Eagle's future or not.

you do realize he was given the starters spot at the beginning and then got injured himself so he couldn't play???

Mays will keep working hard and will get better as he's on the field more!

ndsubison1
11-24-2009, 02:25 AM
you do realize he was given the starters spot at the beginning and then got injured himself so he couldn't play???

Mays will keep working hard and will get better as he's on the field more!

that's because Bradley got injured in fall camp

NDSUFan_Sav
11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
that's because Bradley got injured in fall camp

yeah but mays god injured himself, yeah he was given the starting job because of an injury but then he got injured as well.

devin45k
11-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Will he be starting again?

Watching some of the stuff he did last week made me cringe

Woden
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Will he be starting again?

He started today against the Redskins.

Opening kickoff the Eagels tried an onsides and he got called for an illegal touching. Not really his fault though.

On a pass completion down at the goal-line, the announcers said they think he didn't cover correctly, but I am not so sure on that one.

Woden
11-29-2009, 05:41 PM
He hasn't been back in since the first drive so maybe he was making mistakes.

Trotter exclusively now.

lakesbison
11-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Joe.just aint catchin a break, i.feel for him. maybe this whole year is viewed as a learning curve by coach reid and joe gets starting nod for 2010!!!

any word on humber/dahl's play today??

NDSUFan_Sav
11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
He started today against the Redskins.

Opening kickoff the Eagels tried an onsides and he got called for an illegal touching. Not really his fault though.

On a pass completion down at the goal-line, the announcers said they think he didn't cover correctly, but I am not so sure on that one.

eh He was on his guy fine then Campbell started getting towards the line of scrimmage which my buddy who's a big skins fan was pretty sure he past the line and was hoping they'd snap it quickly so there would be now review, so if that's the case he crossed the line, you can't blame him for coming in for the tackle.

WRSDBison
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
eh He was on his guy fine then Campbell started getting towards the line of scrimmage which my buddy who's a big skins fan was pretty sure he past the line and was hoping they'd snap it quickly so there would be now review, so if that's the case he crossed the line, you can't blame him for coming in for the tackle.

He was close but still behind the line. Mays was in a tough situation at that point.

Woden
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM

He was close but still behind the line. Mays was in a tough situation at that point.

Different play than I was talking about. I know which one you two are referencing.

The one I was discussing was on the 'Skins first drive.

NorthernBison
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Joe had to make a decision and it turned into a TD. Clearly, Joe let the receiver go to stop the run and Campbell made the throw before he crossed the line of scrimmage. That was pretty clear on replay. Close but not over.

There was a comment made on the air that Samuel was late getting there after Joe turned him loose.

Only the coaching staff knows if it was Joe ar Asante who gets the blame. Maybe there isn't really blame to be handed out. Sometimes the other team executes and you can't stop it.

A1pigskin
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Looking forward to see Joe play.

TheDoctor
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Looking forward to see Joe play.

Are you going to the Eagles game this week? :confused:

A1pigskin
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Are you going to the Eagles game this week? :confused:

On TV..........

devin45k
12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I doubt he will be starting but I hope to hell he does!

4mcruenomore
12-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Joe is getting beat, not sure what his deal is. I'm a huge fan, but I don't think he looks good right now. Come on Joe.

EndZoneQB
12-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Joe is getting beat, not sure what his deal is. I'm a huge fan, but I don't think he looks good right now. Come on Joe.

He's thinking. I guarantee it.

stevdock
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't think he's over thinking the game if that's what you mean. I think his biggest problem right now is getting caught up in the wash and can't get out until the ball carrier is well past him. I know that happened many times against the Bears, especially on that long run by the Bears rookie RB. And as bad as I don't want to say this, if you can't get off blocks by the Bears horrid line, he's gonna have problems in the future also.

SDbison
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think he's over thinking the game if that's what you mean. I think his biggest problem right now is getting caught up in the wash and can't get out until the ball carrier is well past him. I know that happened many times against the Bears, especially on that long run by the Bears rookie RB. And as bad as I don't want to say this, if you can't get off blocks by the Bears horrid line, he's gonna have problems in the future also.
In the backfield on that big run Mays on one side and don't know who on the other side of that hole were held (pulled away from the hole). I watched the replay several times and it was clearly two huge penalty misses by the refs. Guess they were enjoying watching the run too. Wish there was a replay to show here. Hope the coaches saw that too.