PDA

View Full Version : USD on future schedules?

Hambone
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Was looking at the USD board, and a poster brought up the USD coaches mentioned they are looking at a 4 year home/home deal with NDSU. Anyone hear heard anything about this possibility??

http://coyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=695

SDbison
11-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Was looking at the USD board, and a poster brought up the USD coaches mentioned they are looking at a 4 year home/home deal with NDSU. Anyone hear heard anything about this possibility??

http://coyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=695
Was Lakes consulted?

stevdock
11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
We have really fallen a long ways if USD fans think they can compete with us. Although I know nothing about there team other than it was mostly always over by the end of the 1st quarter when we played them and they play football in a basketball arena.

BisonAccountant44
11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I really hope it's not true. I have no interest at all in seeing 4 games with USD. If all 4 are opening weekend in the FFD...maybe. They should be a good warmup game.

lakesbison
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
hell freakin NO

NICE TRY HAMMER-BONE!

lcbison
11-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I really hope it's not true. I have no interest at all in seeing 4 games with USD. If all 4 are opening weekend in the FFD...maybe. They should be a good warmup game.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but we are 3-7. I don't think anyone is a warmup game for us. except of course Indana St.

coldspot
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I hate to be Debbie Downer but we are 3-7. I don't think anyone is a warmup game for us. except of course Indana St.

or any team from the northeast conference

bisonmike2
11-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Maybe it's USD that's thinking that we'll be a good warm up game for them?:hide:

BisonAccountant44
11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
That's only true if this 3-7 thing becomes habbit though. I'm looking at it as more of an anomaly.

Bison55
11-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I would always vote to play USD before und! :D

devin45k
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Same here.....maybe it would help us steal away some more SD recruits.

I also know it would anger many UND fans if we did play USD over UND

AKBison
11-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I love the idea. Make it the first home game of the season every year for the hosting school. The game doesn't need a trophy, but it does need some kind of tradition attached to it. Make it the first game.

MHDBisonfan
11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I'd be all in favor of getting USD on the schedule long term. It would generate a lot more buzz than the dogs we've had lately. Concordia-St Paul, Central Connecticut State, Austin Peay, Wagner...I'm talking to YOU!

lakesbison
11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
HAMMER BONE is full of it. and NO NO NO NO WAY FOR USD!!

tjbison
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I love the idea. Make it the first home game of the season every year for the hosting school. The game doesn't need a trophy, but it does need some kind of tradition attached to it. Make it the first game.

NO WAY not every year, I don't mind every so often but I do not want to see the OOC get routine. Thats the nice thing about OOC games you get to play teams you dont see every year.

MHDBisonfan
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
On a slightly different note, this thread made me go look at the future Bison schedules. I have season tix for both Bison and Gophers, and so I like to do a side by side so I can see what Gopher games I can get to, and I noticed for 2011, the Gopher schedule has us playing them on Sep 24, while our schedule says we play the Gophs on Sep 10. According to gophersports, UM is scheduled to play New Mexico St on Sep 10. Anyone know which one is correct?

NDSU1980
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM

I agree, but I still don't want to play a 4 game lineup with USD. I could see doing one game in 2010 and one in 12 or 13.

ndsubison1
11-18-2009, 12:33 AM
im on the board with this, better than playing some cupcake from the east or to the north :innocent:

tony
11-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Sounds good to me - 2 for 1 sounds better though. :)

Bison bison
11-18-2009, 01:39 AM
2 for 1 is a little steep.

Gene throwing in a couple of buckets of KFC chicken for the coyotes to munch on during the ride back to vermillion would make it more than fair.

Hambone
11-18-2009, 01:44 AM
HAMMER BONE is full of it. and NO NO NO NO WAY FOR USD!!

Sorry lakes, I didn't make it up - just saw it somewhere and thought I'd come to the source of Bison football to see if there was any truth to it :nod:

ndsubison1
11-18-2009, 02:02 AM

Gene throwing in a couple of buckets of KFC chicken for the coyotes to munch on during the ride back to vermillion would make it more than fair.

http://www.papblog.com.ar/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lordofthefiles_homer-drool.gif

NDSUstudent
11-18-2009, 02:17 AM
USD has proven to be a decent team this year, travel isn't too bad to Vermilion, I am all for it.

Tatanka
11-18-2009, 03:17 AM

OK, but I'm gonna need two, maybe three buckets of KFC, extra crispy, probably four cartons of gravy.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/season_13/sp_1312_clip05.jpg

BisoninNWMN
11-18-2009, 11:06 AM
2-1 .....IMO

USD is an easy bus ride but 2 in the FFD first......

HerdBot
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm all for playing USD, as long as it couts as a D1 win. Honestly, we would have spanked them this year and I would have been more excited about it than freakin Wagner. We have a tradition with South Dakota. Anyone remember the National Championship game? This is the D1 version of South Dakota with 63 scholarships. Go sign em Gene, but don't forget about the Sioux.

HerdBot
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Screw trophies... we suck at trophy games! But tradition goes back the National Championship game. Nuff said. Great game. Right now they are down but they will be back up again some day. Low travel costs. Smart decision.

RRVBISON
11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
What would we think of SDSU playing UND? Thoughts?

Bison55
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
IMO I wouldn't care who und plays as long as it isn't NDSU

I don't recall if und also belittled SDSU when they went D1?? but if they did then it's up to SDSU to decide if they want to forgive and forget.

80ALUM
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't mind playing USD but at home where tailgating is king! As far as UND I hope they keep playing and losing to NAIA teams!

tjbison
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
What would we think of SDSU playing UND? Thoughts?

GO BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

tony
11-18-2009, 06:08 PM
The only problem I'd have with the Bunnies playing UND is the one I have with them playing any non-conference game... they lose almost all their non-conference games. In that way, and that way only, SDSU is kind of a nightmare to have in a conference because they play so much better in conference than out of conference.

lakesbison
11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
No To Und And Usd.

That Just Brings Us Back To D2 And The Ncc.

Move On, And Move Up!

Tatanka
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
IMO I wouldn't care who und plays as long as it isn't NDSU

I don't recall if und also belittled SDSU when they went D1?? but if they did then it's up to SDSU to decide if they want to forgive and forget.

USD pretty much treated SDSU as poorly as we were treated during the transition... even going so far as to involve the state legislature IIRC.

siouxdgj
11-18-2009, 06:45 PM
As a UND fan I have no problem with USD playing SDSU or USD playing NDSU. And I'm perfectly content to wait until 2012 or whenever (depends on when our "purgatory" period is deemed to have expired) for the Sioux to play the Bison. I also think some Bison fans seriously underestimate the USD football team as an opponent, but that's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. Keep the blinders on if it creates a greater "comfort" zone.

NorthernBison
11-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Beating USD while we were in DII was pretty much a non-event. There were exceptions but it was a game I seldom worried about losing. Playing the Jacks was basically the same, expect competition but still a win.

We all know how that has been working out since the move. Still, why not bring on the Coyotes?

siouxdgj
11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
USD traveled to San Luis Obispo over the weekend to play Cal Poly and came home with a 50-48 victory over the team many picked to capture the Great West title. Not only did Cal Poly not win the title, it alone finished in last place in the Great West with a 1-3 conference mark. USD also narrowly lost to UC Davis (the GW champion with a 3-1) at home. Had USD won that game it would have been the outright Great West champion. The Great West obviously at this point has great parity in its league. However, if you want to ignore the obvious, well, be my guest. Stop putting down the Yotes.

met1990
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Stop putting down the Yotes.

Can we get a please? ;)

Bison55
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't think NDSU could look past anyone this year. If I recall it was
14-14 with 6 minutes left in the half ....against Wagner! Probably closer than anyone expected

Not saying USD is some D1 powerhouse to be feared, but so far neither is NDSU :hide:

heckler
11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
USD traveled to San Luis Obispo over the weekend to play Cal Poly and came home with a 50-48 victory over the team many picked to capture the Great West title. Not only did Cal Poly not win the title, it alone finished in last place in the Great West with a 1-3 conference mark. USD also narrowly lost to UC Davis (the GW champion with a 3-1) at home. Had USD won that game it would have been the outright Great West champion. The Great West obviously at this point has great parity in its league. However, if you want to ignore the obvious, well, be my guest. Stop putting down the Yotes.

you might be colorblind because the shirt you have on is red not green ;)

NorthernBison
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I hope you didn't aim that one at my post. I think I kind of did the opposite by alluding to our sterling record of keeping the Jackrabbits under our heel. Not.

I am a bit confused by the Jeckyll and Hyde performances of the Dakota programs this season. Other than the Jacks, everybody else (NDSU, UND, USD) has had a few moments of good football and the majority of the time looking horrible. Surprising in the least.

ILBISON
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Zero reason for NDSU to play USD or UND. whats the point of moving up if all of them try and move up to compete with us. playing them would cancel out all the gains we have made as a program/university in the past 5 years or so. there's more that dont care, than the 4-5 loud ones that want the past.

Kemo
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
USD Head Coach Ed Meierkort confirmed on Argus Leader Sports Web Live that there is dialogue between NDSU and USD in terms of future match ups between the teams. It could happen as early as next year.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

Da Bison
11-18-2009, 08:32 PM

They also went to Cedar Rapids and came away with a heartbreaking 66-7 loss.

You can play the #'s game all day if you want.

lcbison
11-18-2009, 08:38 PM

You forgot about the team from south dakota that went into the mighty alerus center and came away victorious.

oops, never mind, that was Sioux Falls.

siouxdgj
11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Can we get a please? ;)

Okay, here you are: Please stop putting down the Yotes. And no, NorthernBison, I wasn't try to put you down at all. In fact, I'm encouraged by your post. It's very true that the Jacks, the Yotes and the Sioux all had up and down performances, and it was hard to figure out just which Jack, Yote or Sioux football team was going to show up on Gameday. If memory serves correctly, the Yotes beat both Cal Poly and UC Davis, while UND beat Poly and the Yotes and lost to Davis. Cal Poly edged the Jacks. Had the Yotes managed to get past Davis (one point loss), the Yotes would have been Great West outright champions. Maybe I am wearing red today, but red and green are both Christmas colors and we're heading into that season (If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...etc) It's just that I'd rather see one of the Dakota schools win Great West titles instead of the California schools. Sioux women's volleyball team did win the Great West regular season title, so that's a plus, winning the title outright with a 3-2 victory over...South Dakota.

MN_BISON
11-18-2009, 08:48 PM
USD Head Coach Ed Meierkort confirmed on Argus Leader Sports Web Live that there is dialogue between NDSU and USD in terms of future match ups between the teams. It could happen as early as next year.

You're a funny guy Kemo, here's the real link: http://www.argusleader.com/article/99999999/MULTIMEDIA/90804027&Ref=AR&template=mogulus

He does mention NDSU as far as scheduling goes and recruiting, he says NDSU bullies people.........whatever that means.

EndZoneQB
11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
he says NDSU bullies people.........whatever that means.

I think what that really means is that we are the bigger "brother" in the situation, and USD doesn't like it. Too bad, it's your second year in transition, we have more seniority than you. I'm sure it works the same way with FBS schools talking to FCS schools as well...

lakesbison
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
ha ha. reason # 23482 NOT to play USD and UND, they are going to throw every piece of mud they have at NDSU. congrats, thats a great PR move by them.

gene are you reading/listening?

tjbison
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM

You mean Cedar Falls????

;)

NDSU1980
11-19-2009, 12:07 AM
You forgot about the team from south dakota that went into the mighty alerus center and came away victorious.

oops, never mind, that was Sioux Falls.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hammersmith
11-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I think what that really means is that we are the bigger "brother" in the situation, and USD doesn't like it. Too bad, it's your second year in transition, we have more seniority than you. I'm sure it works the same way with FBS schools talking to FCS schools as well...

He was talking about recruiting when he used the "bullying" term. I think he meant we push recuits to sign early because he brought up our large number of commits a little earlier in the discussion. The three also made noises that the Gebhart commit is not as solid as we think. Considering the sources, I'd take that with a big grain of salt.

HerdBot
11-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Zero reason for NDSU to play USD or UND. whats the point of moving up if all of them try and move up to compete with us. playing them would cancel out all the gains we have made as a program/university in the past 5 years or so. there's more that dont care, than the 4-5 loud ones that want the past.

Are you serious?

Playing a fully funded 63 scholarship D1 team that we have a great tradition against is sure a major improvement over 24 scholarship crap teams like Wagner, Austin Peay, and Central Conneticuit State!! Gee, last time I checked Northern Iowa played them so did Montana State, and McNeese. They just don't have a big chip on their shoulder.

"The Pitch" hapened against the Yotes. The National Championship game was won vs them. That is called tradition. What is the traditon vs Austin Peay?

It's a great game for the midwest, just like playing UND. It's great for exposure to our recruiting base. Plus they are in the Summit so it makes sense.

Don't confuse the old crappy NCC teams with UND/USD. They are not Mankato, Augustana, and St Cloud. Playing crap teams takes us a step back.

EndZoneQB
11-19-2009, 01:52 AM
He was talking about recruiting when he used the "bullying" term. I think he meant we push recuits to sign early because he brought up our large number of commits a little earlier in the discussion. The three also made noises that the Gebhart commit is not as solid as we think. Considering the sources, I'd take that with a big grain of salt.

Ahh, I didn't watch the video, I was just assuming haha. Either way, seems like some poo-flinging.

MN_BISON
11-19-2009, 02:47 AM

Yeah, that's the way I took it too. I tell you what, if I'm ever in the market to buy a used car, I'm calling the USD coach and someone should remember to tell that guy to take the gum out when he talks in front of people. On the positive side of things, I hear his wife makes a mean PB&J, so if we do end up playing them, maybe she can make some for our tailgate crew.

tony
11-19-2009, 03:33 AM
The impression I got from Coach Meierkort (no idea if that's spelled right) is that he is worried an awful lot about NDSU. NDSU showed him the strong pimp hand (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll5/rarpoe78/Pimp_Hand.jpg?t=1240405654) during the first half of this year's recruiting and he's still feeling the sting.

JacksFan06
11-19-2009, 03:36 AM
From the Coach Meierkort video:

The question was about how USD's recruiting was going, Coach Meierkort said they went out and signed too many kids early last year and that at this level you really need to wait.

Argus sports editor than said something to the effect of:

"NDSU came out early and got kids, they came and got Trevor Gebhardt and now it sounds like his commitment is up in the air"

Meierkort: "if your putting a gun to kids early on, than there is usually a reason for it and than you have to hold on for 4 or 5 months while the vultures circle"

Some other things concerning NDSU in the discussion:

Chance to play NDSU next year but they need to figure out the contract negotiations first. They are tired of playing everybody on the road

on recruiting: "North Dakota State is going to go out and bully everybody"

He says he would love to join the Missouri Valley or the Big Sky.

The video starts in the middle of the show for some reason so after it's over you have to click on it again to watch the first half

JacksFan06
11-19-2009, 03:49 AM
My take on the coach's comments and from hearing Craig Bohl answer questions durning his MoValley teleconfernces:

Bohl felt like last year they waited too long on their Plan A recruits to make up their mind (QB from Michigan) and while they waited they lost out on Plan B & Plan C and had to settle for Plan D.
This year Bohl went out and offered players early and gave them a deadline to decide by so that A) they verbaled before the "rebuilding" season started and B) so they wouldn't get beat to the punch on their Plan B & Plan C.

I expect Coach Meierkort also has some sour grapes since he had offers out to both the SD kids that committed to NDSU. He probably thinks he could convince them to reconsider since USD might actually end up with a better season than NDSU.

I think Coach Bohl & Coach Meierkort bump heads in the recruiting ground more so than with SDSU. Meierkort is from Chicago and coached for many years at Wis. Stout so his area of expertise is WI & IL. They also might recruit similar plays since both play in domes.

TheDoctor
11-19-2009, 04:11 AM

Why would we have to give them a home game? I say USD at the dome next year and two years later. ;)

TheBisonator
11-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Why would we have to give them a home game? I say USD at the dome next year and two years later. ;)

We should never have to play an OOC road game against a team with that small of a stadium. Gene should just say NO to any game in Verminville.

Tatanka
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Sick of playing on the road? Somebody dial 911 and get the waaaaaaaambulance. Welcome to transition hell, buddy. Better keep that bus warmed up. :smh:

PS> You had ample opportunity to see what it would be like so you should have been ready for it. See Also: University, South Dakota State

HerdBot
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
My take on the coach's comments and from hearing Craig Bohl answer questions durning his MoValley teleconfernces:

Bohl felt like last year they waited too long on their Plan A recruits to make up their mind (QB from Michigan) and while they waited they lost out on Plan B & Plan C and had to settle for Plan D.
This year Bohl went out and offered players early and gave them a deadline to decide by so that A) they verbaled before the "rebuilding" season started and B) so they wouldn't get beat to the punch on their Plan B & Plan C.

I expect Coach Meierkort also has some sour grapes since he had offers out to both the SD kids that committed to NDSU. He probably thinks he could convince them to reconsider since USD might actually end up with a better season than NDSU.

I think Coach Bohl & Coach Meierkort bump heads in the recruiting ground more so than with SDSU. Meierkort is from Chicago and coached for many years at Wis. Stout so his area of expertise is WI & IL. They also might recruit similar plays since both play in domes.

When he offers kids early, they are "not ready" but when Bohl offers the same kids early, it's "putting a gun to their head." Didn't realize offering a free ride through college was a bad thing!

I don't think USD is having a better season than NDSU. They played 2 games against NAIA/D2 and non scholarship D1 teams and they play in a weaker conference. I think any kid can figure that out.

But I do think they are on the right track by recruiting Wisconsin and Illinois.

HerdBot
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
We should never have to play an OOC road game against a team with that small of a stadium. Gene should just say NO to any game in Verminville.

I think we need to play the first one in the Fargodome. Then I'm OK with traveling.

SUPERBUNNY
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Meierkort may be grasping at straws at this point. USD had a decent win last week but otherwise aren't very impressive. You guys are down but will bounce back up.

Personally I'd just assume that the XDSU's don't schedule either of the UXD's. They've been a pain in our collective asses in the transition process and hate to see them rewarded with their dream game.

Unfortunately, if the talk of a 2-0 series between the Jacks and USD is a possibility it might be too lucrative for the Jackrabbits to pass up.

NDSU sells their tickets every game (I admire that) and don't need a big gate from UND. SDSU could use it against USD.

SUPERBUNNY

SDbison
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
That USD coach is sure a douche bag.......what a cocky sack of BS.
Even though I don't like SDSU, Stig is light years ahead of USD's coach. I don't know how a kid could choose USD over SDSU or NDSU after meeting USD's coach. The guy reminds me of Fonzie from Happy Days.

HerdBot
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Meierkort may be grasping at straws at this point. USD had a decent win last week but otherwise aren't very impressive. You guys are down but will bounce back up.

Personally I'd just assume that the XDSU's don't schedule either of the UXD's. They've been a pain in our collective asses in the transition process and hate to see them rewarded with their dream game.

Unfortunately, if the talk of a 2-0 series between the Jacks and USD is a possibility it might be too lucrative for the Jackrabbits to pass up.

NDSU sells their tickets every game (I admire that) and don't need a big gate from UND. SDSU could use it against USD.

SUPERBUNNY

We do well for attendance but it could be better if you replace Wagner with USD and would create some excitement. Since both UXD were a pain, we should get the first game or both games at XDSU.

EndZoneQB
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM

SUPERBUNNY

Great post. Maybe together we can all band against the UXD's haha!

devin45k
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Even though I don't like SDSU, Stig is light years ahead of USD's coach. I don't know how a kid could choose USD over SDSU or NDSU after meeting USD's coach. The guy reminds me of Fonzie from Happy Days.

The kid probably cant get on the SDSU team.

NDSUstudent
11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
One way or another, we are going to have to play UND eventually. I can already hear the outrage from KFGO if NDSU agrees to play USD for four games and not UND.

As for USD's coach, maybe he is just lazy and tired of getting outworked by the Bison. Here is a quote from a player both schools offered....

"They offered me this summer so they offered me early. That was something I liked. They showed they wanted me and wanted me early. They called me every single week and some of these other schools wouldn't call at all. NDSU just stayed on recruiting me hard. The coaches made me feel at home. The coaches weren't like other coaches. They didn't just throw the school at you, they seemed real."

tony
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
...Meierkort: "if your putting a gun to kids early on, than there is usually a reason for it and than you have to hold on for 4 or 5 months while the vultures circle"

Hehe, I wonder why USD offered Ryan Smith, Trevor Gebhart, etc early? THERE MUST BE A REASON*!!!

Anyway, I think Coach Meierkort is too hard on himself - he's no vulture; he's just extremely desperate.

* Could it be that they are worth a scholarship?

KilldeerBison
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM

I thought more like that Squiggey guy from Lavern and Shirley, kind of a throw back to a 1950’s thug. He sure is full of himself.

MN_BISON
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
I thought more like that Squiggey guy from Lavern and Shirley, kind of a throw back to a 1950’s thug. He sure is full of himself.

He kind of reminded me of this guy.

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/character/paulie_walnuts.jpg

KilldeerBison
11-19-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=463&stc=1&d=1258669412
How about this guy?

Leonardite
11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Meierkort made fun of my hat at the bar two weeks ago. It had a big feather sticking out of it, so I deserved it. But still, back off man...

SUPERBUNNY
11-19-2009, 10:15 PM
He kind of reminded me of this guy.

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/character/paulie_walnuts.jpg

That made me laugh. Check out the picture below. It is of USD President Jim Abbott. If Abbott isn't smiling its the same guy.

MN_Bison, you're either on something or your onto something!!!

http://www.sdbio.org/images/events/PHOTO-Jim_Abbott_photo(1).jpg

Screw the UXD's!!!

SUPERBUNNY

JackJD
11-20-2009, 12:55 AM
USD pretty much treated SDSU as poorly as we were treated during the transition... even going so far as to involve the state legislature IIRC.

USD did not take an official position against SDSU and the D-1 move, like Roger Thomas et al did at UND against NDSU. You may recall that USD actually voted early on for the whole NCC to move up. When just NDSU and SDSU committed to moving, USD stayed back. There isn't much question that there were outspoken critics of SDSU's move who were associated with USD but I don't think it's accurate to say USD or any of its administration took that position publicly.

On the subject of the legislature getting involved: unfortunately, a legislator who has a degree from SDSU, not USD, tried to get the legislature to act against SDSU's move. The legislator, Sen. Frank Kloucek, has no power base and no following and other than make some noise which the newspapers found mildly interesting, there was no serious threat the legislature would get involved. (I think SDSU grads easily outnumber USD grads in our legislature.)

Tatanka
11-20-2009, 01:02 AM
USD did not take an official position against SDSU and the D-1 move, like Roger Thomas et al did at UND against NDSU. You may recall that USD actually voted early on for the whole NCC to move up. When just NDSU and SDSU committed to moving, USD stayed back. There isn't much question that there were outspoken critics of SDSU's move who were associated with USD but I don't think it's accurate to say USD or any of its administration took that position publicly.

On the subject of the legislature getting involved: unfortunately, a legislator who has a degree from SDSU, not USD, tried to get the legislature to act against SDSU's move. The legislator, Sen. Frank Kloucek, has no power base and no following and other than make some noise which the newspapers found mildly interesting, there was no serious threat the legislature would get involved. (I think SDSU grads easily outnumber USD grads in our legislature.)

Thanks for the clarification. I just remember hearing from teh SDSU faithful that there were similar issues with USD a few years ago. glad to hear this actually.

Also perhaps makes the Summit non-invite (as of yet anyway) of UND somewhat more telling.

JackJD
11-20-2009, 03:19 AM
The official relationship between SDSU and USD is probably quite different than the relationship (or lack thereof!) between NDSU and UND. For example, SDSU and USD each have programs that share one dean and some professors...I think that's true in education and nursing. It's my impression SDSU Pres. Chicoine and USD Pres. Abbott communicate on subjects of mutual benefit. I remember a few years ago when a nationally-known, highly respected policital science Prof. Emeritus at USD fully retired and a special think-tank-type organization was set up and named in his honor, the Professor who was brought on board to serve as its first Director to set it up and get it running right, was a nationally-known, highly respected political science Prof from SDSU. He was loaned for six months to USD.

Of course, I blame the nastiness up north on hockey fans. I just don't understand that group. :)

Yote 53
11-20-2009, 06:31 AM
3-7, is that still your record? And NDSU people are smacking on USD? Who have you beaten this year?

You guys dream, and are living well in the past. Nobody is intimidated by the Mighty Bison anymore. 4 games would be great, a 2 and 2 series.

The way things are USD would at least go 3-1. Our program is only getting stronger. What is your program doing?

Mr. Burgundy
11-20-2009, 06:44 AM
If NDSU played a road game in Vermillion, the population would double on gameday. Your city...sorry, TOWN is a joke.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2009, 06:54 AM
3-7, is that still your record? And NDSU people are smacking on USD? Who have you beaten this year?

You guys dream, and are living well in the past. Nobody is intimidated by the Mighty Bison anymore. 4 games would be great, a 2 and 2 series.

The way things are USD would at least go 3-1. Our program is only getting stronger. What is your program doing?

What is our program doing? Destroying USD in recruiting just like any other year, your coach is even tired of us bullying him around. Poor guy can't even outrecruit Bohl during what could be a three or four win season for the Herd.

I would congratulate you on winning up in GF but that was some other SD team that isn't even called SDSU that won that game. I don't think there are any other DI teams in SD....I guess I know why your coach said "we will never schedule Sioux Falls" and why he warned UND about them. I've never heard Bohl talk about how he fears playing an NAIA school.

With that said, your wins over 6-5 SELA team, a 4-6 SUU team, and a 4-6 Cal Poly team are all signs that you are destined for FCS greatness. Way to go Yotes!!!

cvbison1
11-20-2009, 07:01 AM

LMAO A USD FAN TALKIN SMACK? HAHA, oh man. that brightened up my night. usd lol

Coyote Fan
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
What happened in D2 is D2 and the relevance is very minimal. Just because NDSU dominated during the last several years before transition doesn't mean a whole lot other than you have a better tradition in football. USD is not the same program now as they were in the 90's and early 2000's. If you want to claim dominance in football because of the past than I will claim dominance in mens basketball on USD's behalf because they won alot more than they lost against NDSU in that sport during the last 15 years of D2.

Wouldn't it be intersting if the North Dakota schools were both better than the South Dakota schools in basketball but both South Dakota schools were better in football. That would be quite unbelievable to think of the thought 10 years ago but some of it has already happened. The same may be true to an extent in womens basketball as well.

BisoninNWMN
11-20-2009, 11:33 AM

LOL.......Boy, what a laugh!!!

USD FB fans smacking US..........LOL

The highlight of your FB program was in 86....oh ya, who beat you in the NC game..........LOL

DakotaDump, bus rides to South Carolina for DII games, poor attendance at games........ya, you sure have the Bison "whipped"...LMAO

USD goes 3-1 against us????.......whatever pal......UNI kicked your ass 66-7 and we went down to the wire with a poor team this year......WHATEVER!!!

Coyote FB should have stayed in DII

Tatanka
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
yotes smacking the bison on a bison board? ROFLMAO.

Bitch, PLEASE. begone, puppies...

mgbison
11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
seriously, whats the difference between scheduling Wagner or USD? They lost to UNI 66-7. that is ridiculous. How can a team even lose that bad? They should just drop football and save money.

I'm all for playing them, but why would we do a home and home. I would only schedule them if it was a 2 for 1 deal, which is what we could probably get from und.

The funny thing is that i now know what it fells like for people on iowa state's message board when bison fans come on there. Same situation here with the USD people.

onbison09
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
yotes smacking the bison on a bison board? ROFLMAO.

Child, PLEASE. begone, puppies...

Fixed it for ya. Game. Set. Bitchslap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnb1gnotLr8

Bison bison
11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
sThey should just drop football and save money.

Not a crazy idea...

:p

THEsocalledfan
11-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't it be intersting if the North Dakota schools were both better than the South Dakota schools in basketball but both South Dakota schools were better in football.

You really crack me up. We may be down in football, but to even suggest your team, who plays in an absolute joke of a stadium, could play with NDSU is comical at best, moronic at worst.

I would rather play UND if we have to stoop so low as to play the "stupid schools" who did not move up when they should.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Tell you what USD fans...outrecruit NDSU in your own state and then you can talk with at least some credibility.

TheBisonator
11-20-2009, 09:13 PM

You're a funny little boy. Now go, run along and get back home to yer momma.

SUPERBUNNY
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
You're a funny little boy. Now go, run along and get back home to yer momma.

And you thought SDSU fans were bad?

SUPERBUNNY