PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead - A Question

CaBisonFan
11-15-2009, 02:45 AM
If we saw a glimpse of the future today, how would we do in the MVFC next year? Obviously, add a few pieces to the puzzle from the redshirt class & maybe a transfer or 2.

I realize that we're losing some big-time linemen on both sides of the ball...and PP.

Anyone have a crystal ball?

TheBisonator
11-15-2009, 03:14 AM
I think we could be at least 6-5, but I wouldn't count out us somehow getting worse and going 2-9 or something like that. This season taught me the lesson that Bison football can be a lot worse than I have ever imagined.

After this year's performance, I have learned to brace myself for the worst.

6-5 is my reasonable expectation, and I'm bracing myself for 2-9.

CaBisonFan
11-15-2009, 03:29 AM
I think we could be at least 6-5, but I wouldn't count out us somehow getting worse and going 2-9 or something like that. This season taught me the lesson that Bison football can be a lot worse than I have ever imagined.

After this year's performance, I have learned to brace myself for the worst.

6-5 is my reasonable expectation, and I'm bracing myself for 2-9.

I've stopped bracing myself...and I've lost my crystal ball. I never imagined this kind of season.

chuckles
11-15-2009, 05:02 AM
1 game at a time.

TheBisonator
11-15-2009, 06:30 AM
1 game at a time.

It almost seems like one drive at a time.

BisonNeil
11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't have a crystal ball, but I think losses to Kansas, UNI, SIU and possibly SDSU are likely. Don't know who the rest of the non-conference schedule is but if Geo Southern comes to town, or Montana State, one of those could also be a loss.

My point is this: What constitutes improvement in Bison football for Bohl to keep his job? Will 6-5 do that? Assuming NDSU beats YSU next week Bohl will enter next season 10-12 out of transition with a team he built; does a three year record of 16-17 post-transition cut it? Or does he have to be 7-4 or better, like make the playoffs, to keep his job?

I don't know the answer, but I think this will be the question of 2010 and will be very interesting to watch as the season unfolds. What constitutes nut-cutting time?

BisonFellow
11-15-2009, 03:27 PM
6-5 seems very likely, and 7-4 is not out of the question. Neither is 5-6. I try to think that this debacle was the blood-letting that has cleansed the system and sets us on the path moving forward.

Bohl has proven he can win with talent, and that he has recruited talent (and that he also hit a patch where there were gaps, which I think we ought to wait and evaluate to see if the shortcomings have been rectified).

Barring a two-win season next year, I think it's premature to cut bait. We were spoiled early on in this transition, but I'm confident that we will perform at a sustained high level in the near future. I really believe that next year we will see a significant turnaround, building for 2011.

I've seen a lot of good under Bohl's tenure. And it's amazing what a thumping or two will do for spirits around here, isn't it? It's harder for folks to denigrate a team after yesterday's score, saying there was a lack of preparation, lack of desire, lack of talent, etc. I know all about the opponent's history of futility.

My verdict is two more years.

MHDBisonfan
11-15-2009, 03:42 PM
To be totally honest with everyone, I went to NDSU in the glory years of the 80's, graduated at almost the exact same time we were winning the 1990 title as I did my student teaching that fall. I am so disgusted with where we have fallen to over the last 2 years I can hardly stand it.

Down years like 6-5 should not exist. "Rebuilding" or whatever you want to call this year's debacle should not exist. Insert any crappy excuse you want to for this year's team, but thats all that they are...excuses. We have every possible advantage here at NDSU to maintain excellence on the field...top notch facility, a fan base that is 2nd to none in the FCS ranks, media coverage, etc. A "down" year in Bison football should be 7-4 and just missing the playoffs, not this vomit inducing season we're currently having.

My opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, is that anything less than a trip to the playoffs next year is a failure. It will be Coach Bohl's 8th season as our head coach (i think?) and our third year out of transition and there should be NO EXCUSES for not being one of the best 16 teams in the country.

We are 15 months removed from being ranked #1 in the nation, based entirely on what we did IN transition...how then can have tumbled so far with that transition anchor removed from us?

OK, end of rant...sorry

EndZoneQB
11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
To be totally honest with everyone, I went to NDSU in the glory years of the 80's, graduated at almost the exact same time we were winning the 1990 title as I did my student teaching that fall. I am so disgusted with where we have fallen to over the last 2 years I can hardly stand it.

Down years like 6-5 should not exist. "Rebuilding" or whatever you want to call this year's debacle should not exist. Insert any crappy excuse you want to for this year's team, but thats all that they are...excuses. We have every possible advantage here at NDSU to maintain excellence on the field...top notch facility, a fan base that is 2nd to none in the FCS ranks, media coverage, etc. A "down" year in Bison football should be 7-4 and just missing the playoffs, not this vomit inducing season we're currently having.

My opinion, and that's all it is, an opinion, is that anything less than a trip to the playoffs next year is a failure. It will be Coach Bohl's 8th season as our head coach (i think?) and our third year out of transition and there should be NO EXCUSES for not being one of the best 16 teams in the country.

We are 15 months removed from being ranked #1 in the nation, based entirely on what we did IN transition...how then can have tumbled so far with that transition anchor removed from us?

OK, end of rant...sorry

Don't slit your wrist yet, Kane. We've had seasons like this, and we'll have more. Relax, we will be good again. Bohl went out and got some players in the last class so we should be ok I think. Let it play out, and see if he fixes the mistakes he clearly knows he has made.

GOB1SON
11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I hate threads like this (sorry CA) because there is no answer. Especially after a game like yesterday. Don't take too much home, it was Indiana State, despite how good it feels to finally win the way NDSU is supposed to win.

We are all learning about what it takes to be competitive at this level. Obviously, it is more than what we expected.

That being said, we had better damn well make a playoff push.

Da_Bizon
11-15-2009, 06:56 PM
It'll be a whale of a season.

Facts
11-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Guys, I can't believe I'm the only one to get this. Obviously, the outcome of the 2010 season is simply explained by the following regression equation:

E(Y) = β0 + β1X1 + β2X2 + β3X3 + β4X1X3 + β5X2X3

X1 players ability
X2 players attitude
X3 coaches

Especially important are the interaction terms between the players ability and the coaches, and the players attitude as influenced by the coaches. I think if those interactions remain in the model (significant at a p-value < .05), we should be looking at a playoff season. :D

JSUBison
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM

The playoff field is expanded to 20 teams next year, so Bohl and co. can not afford to miss out.

semobison
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
MHDbisonfan, you hit the nail right on the head! I was a student in the mid 80s also. A down year is 7-4 just missing the playoffs. What has happened the last two years is unacceptable in my opinion. NDSU has not had back to back dissapointments like this since the early sixties. We have all the resourses to be a year in, year out contender. Our biggest problem has been our defense. Worst I have ever seen as a bison fan. How much time do we give the current staff?

56BISON73
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
MHDbisonfan, you hit the nail right on the head! I was a student in the mid 80s also. A down year is 7-4 just missing the playoffs. What has happened the last two years is unacceptable in my opinion. NDSU has not had back to back dissapointments like this since the early sixties. We have all the resourses to be a year in, year out contender. Our biggest problem has been our defense. Worst I have ever seen as a bison fan. How much time do we give the current staff?

When was the last time the Bison were in the playoffs????

semobison
11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Lost in the first round 2000, 2001 7-3 just missed, 2003 8-3, late season loss at St. Cloud kept us out, in Bohls first year after the 2-8 disaster the year before. My point in the previous post is that we should be a (hate to even say this) Montana type program, the type that reloads, not rebuilds. I know I feel that way considering the resources we have. The last two years are unacceptable to me and other alum I have spoken to. Granted, we are in a very tough conference, but do any of our current conference mates have the resources that we have. I would think their are a couple that are close, but none better. Just my opinion!

ndsubison1
11-15-2009, 10:48 PM

OK, end of rant...sorry

those were when we were D2... we are now at a different level

MontBison
11-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Lost in the first round 2000, 2001 7-3 just missed, 2003 8-3, late season loss at St. Cloud kept us out, in Bohls first year after the 2-8 disaster the year before. My point in the previous post is that we should be a (hate to even say this) Montana type program, the type that reloads, not rebuilds. I know I feel that way considering the resources we have. The last two years are unacceptable to me and other alum I have spoken to. Granted, we are in a very tough conference, but do any of our current conference mates have the resources that we have. I would think their are a couple that are close, but none better. Just my opinion!

Yes I would like us to not schedule a FBS team each year so we can have an over exaggerated ranking and then fall on our faces in the first round of the playoffs. I guess it's good for recruiting though.

WIbison Fan
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
If we saw a glimpse of the future today, how would we do in the MVFC next year? Obviously, add a few pieces to the puzzle from the redshirt class & maybe a transfer or 2.

I realize that we're losing some big-time linemen on both sides of the ball...and PP.

Anyone have a crystal ball?

No one has talked about the Linemen? How do you feel about what we have and the recruiting class so far?? Of the verbals so far, the only one I worry about is Turner. He's a talented kid but has a nagging knee issue.

semobison
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Montana has played in 24 post season games since 2000. They have been bounced 3 times in the first round though. They have also made the championship game 4 times, winning once. Thats not a bad nine year run! Dont get me wrong. Im not a Griz fan by any means, but their record speaks for itself.

stevdock
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes I would like us to not schedule a FBS team each year so we can have an over exaggerated ranking and then fall on our faces in the first round of the playoffs. I guess it's good for recruiting though.

I am so sick and tired of wanting us to be like Montana also. We play in a conference that is consistently better than the Big Sky. We play better non-conference competition year in and year out. So the difference is do you want to play nobody with a guarantee of making the playoffs and then you wait and see in Dec. how good the team is or do you want to play anyone at anytime and let the team play it out throughout the season??

MontBison
11-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Exhibit A will be this weekend in Bozeman when the Cats trounce them, proving my point. Yes I just went there Willie and MNGriz

semobison
11-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the Sky is not the MVFC, but trust me, Montana would not be 3-7 with our schedule and neither should we.

Capn_Cat
11-16-2009, 12:01 AM
http://epistemysics.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/crystal_ball.jpg
"2010? I see lots of train wreck, a coach getting fired early in the season and UNI lighting us up for 100 in Cedar Falls."

ndsubison1
11-16-2009, 12:06 AM
L- @ Kansas
L- @ UNI
W- vs. Cupcake
W- vs. Semi decent FCS
W- vs. WIU
W- @ YSU
W- @ ISU Red
W- vs. ISU Blue
L- vs. SIU
W- vs. SDSU
W- @ MSU

8-3

borderbison
11-16-2009, 12:49 AM
I seriously think we can split with UNI and SIU although I wish it were reversed with UNI coming to town next year, SIU is going to be solid. I'm sure UNI will be as well but experience will be a bigger issue for them. If we can make the split and end our skid against the bunnies, we will make the playoffs. Those things won't be easy but are attainable. We need to make a few plays that decides an outcome in our favor and we'll get the swagger back.