PDA

View Full Version : off season changes???

KTF
11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I know that the season isn't technically over but it sure feels over. With that in mind, what are some of the off season changes that will take place with the team? Will they switch to a 3-4 defense? Will the O or D-coordinator be released? Will Bohl resign? Will the players have the same troubles as the last off season? Will a spread offense be instilled?

I personally don't see alot of change happening this off season but I am not close to the program via "insiders". The bad seeds appear to have been weeded out... Consistency might be what this program needs!

What do others envision?

RunDMc34
11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
isnt Breske a 3-4 guy? I thought he was anyway. If he is why would you bring him in and not let him run his style of defense

westnodak93bison
11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
imho, there should not be much change in offense or defensive schemes.
This offense works with an accurate QB and we have 3 guys that will compete and a promising true freshman who will probably reshirt. The receiving corp will be much improved. The D coordinator will have a year under his belt here and you have to admit the injuries really hurt this team. I dont think we have the right mix of players to run a 3-4 because we dont have enough LB talent and we have some promising DEs and Gimmestad appears to have the potential to be a solid interior D lineman.

KTF
11-08-2009, 10:52 PM
isnt Breske a 3-4 guy? I thought he was anyway. If he is why would you bring him in and not let him run his style of defense

Your right Breske is a 3-4 guy, that's why I asked if they would switch to a 3-4 set. It seems obvious to switch to his strength but if it doesn't work with the players on the team don't see much advantage to switching.

Swany
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Did something bad happen in Fargo this weekend? I just heard a rumor that I hope isn't true -- and it hasn't been reported anywhere yet so I won't get into specifics. Just seeing if anyone heard anything. If you've heard about it you'll know what I am talking about. If so, please PM me.

Again, at this point, I haven't been able to confirm it yet. But if it is true, well, let's just hope it's not ...

Swany
11-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Looks like someone has already posted the rumor on the message board. Still haven't seen anything official. Anyone else?

westnodak93bison
11-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Do we really have the players to run a 3-4? What would we do with all our DEs? Are any of them mobile enough to convert to ILB?

NDSUFan_Sav
11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
get like 5 QBs as we'll need the depth either some will leave, get kicked off, or just plain suck!

dryash83
11-09-2009, 01:52 AM
discipline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SiouxFan
11-09-2009, 02:19 AM
From what I remember Northern Colorado was a 4-3 defense when he was there with Joe Glenn. Now I know that Wyoming had a run a 3-4 for years so he may have had to switch to that when going there.

I guess I don't see a reason why he doesn't know how to run a 4-3. :confused:

HerdBot
11-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I know that the season isn't technically over but it sure feels over. With that in mind, what are some of the off season changes that will take place with the team? Will they switch to a 3-4 defense? Will the O or D-coordinator be released? Will Bohl resign? Will the players have the same troubles as the last off season? Will a spread offense be instilled?

I personally don't see alot of change happening this off season but I am not close to the program via "insiders". The bad seeds appear to have been weeded out... Consistency might be what this program needs!

What do others envision?

Don't think we need to start over from scratch. We just need to tweak some things and gain experience. I don't think there is that much difference between NDSU, SDSU, UNI, and SDSU given the games I've seen. NDSU was competitive with all of them. They are better but we're not that far off.

The problem is injuries and youth. Flat out, we're starting something like 5 or 6 freshman/sophmores on defense. They are playing out of positon and are still learning. They are gaining very valuable experience right now that will pay off next year.

Running a 4/3 is not the problem. In fact, by changing the scheme to a 3/4, it will set the players back even further. In football you need to react and not think. How can they react if they have to learn a brand new defense? It's back to square one. Besides, teams usually run the 3/4 because they have a mamoth NT, an abundance of good LB's and weak DE's. Next year we should be good at DE, thin at LB, and small at the tackles.

What they need to do is figure out how to not play the sissy defense with the corners playing back 15 yards and watching them pick us apart with short passes. We need better corner play.

Bohl can win with good players. It's a proven fact.

unbison
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
but can he recruit good players.....or keep them out of handcuffs

GoRams
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

I don't know if we have the LB's to run the 3-4 but can you imagine the starting D-line: Boyer, Gratzeck, and Johnson. Would be an outstanding front 3!

HerdBot
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't know if we have the LB's to run the 3-4 but can you imagine the starting D-line: Boyer, Gratzeck, and Johnson. Would be an outstanding front 3!

Its outstanding if they are reacting instead of thinking. If the freshman DE s can learn OLB we have the personel. But then we have more freshman on the field

westnodak93bison
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. Prior to the W. Illinois game we pretty much have had zero pressure on the QB and these three guys have alot to do with the lack of pressure.

SDbison
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Prior to the W. Illinois game we pretty much have had zero pressure on the QB and these three guys have alot to do with the lack of pressure.
Have to agree with this.......way too much time for the QB to throw all year. Why do you think so many teams converted their 3rd downs into 1st downs. Little or no prressure on the QB is the answer. Way too few sacks.

WYOBISONMAN
11-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes.....there was little to no intensity from the D line.....

HerdBot
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
At times but Boyer and Johnson are only sophmores and have improved dramatically Johnson missed 2 games too

EndZoneQB
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Have to agree with this.......way too much time for the QB to throw all year. Why do you think so many teams converted their 3rd downs into 1st downs. Little or no prressure on the QB is the answer. Way too few sacks.

Hopefully Juckem is as advertised...he should help. He turned down BC and Wazzou.

westnodak93bison
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
We will be in business if Juckem and Perry can perform at least a little better than Boyer and Johnson did their RS freshman years and of course next year we need Boyer and Johnson to both make significant improvements.

KTF
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
What about Ricky Hagen? How much of a player is/will he be?

JE
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM
hire a special teams coach!!!!

BisonNeil
11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Most teams the Bison played this year, other than Western Illinois, run some sort of spread and have only 3 step drops for the QB and they quickly release the ball. WIU did five step drops, a more traditional offensive scheme, and our DL did just fine. Of course, the advantage of a 3-4 is the fourth rusher can come from all kinds of angles, you don't know where, and the OL really has to be on their toes and work well together to identify where the pressure is coming from. Lennon has always done this well.

I also think there is another consideration. I think we found that Boyer and Johnson were a little like U Sioux Falls playing FCS or most FCS playing FBS or most WAC, MAC or MWC (non-BCS) teams playing BCS. In the latter cases these teams can be competitive for a game or so, but they can't be competitive for an entire schedule. I think Boyer and Johnson looked great coming off the bench and playing only 20% of the snaps or so, but when they had to go the distance of an entire game it was a lot to ask. Especially given the depth at DE.

And let's all keep this in mind. Last year Compton and Lardinois had Boyer and Johnson as backups. Who were the backups for Boyer and Johnson this year? A TE converted to DE his senior year and a converted strong forward for the Bison basketball team. I'm just saying...

ScooterMN
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I also think there is another consideration. I think we found that Boyer and Johnson were a little like U Sioux Falls playing FCS or most FCS playing FBS or most WAC, MAC or MWC (non-BCS) teams playing BCS. In the latter cases these teams can be competitive for a game or so, but they can't be competitive for an entire schedule. I think Boyer and Johnson looked great coming off the bench and playing only 20% of the snaps or so, but when they had to go the distance of an entire game it was a lot to ask. Especially given the depth at DE.

And let's all keep this in mind. Last year Compton and Lardinois had Boyer and Johnson as backups. Who were the backups for Boyer and Johnson this year? A TE converted to DE his senior year and a converted strong forward for the Bison basketball team. I'm just saying...

What exactly don't you think Boyer and Johnson are doing at this point? for one, they are sophomores; their first full year of playing. And yet they are both in the top ten in sacks and the top 14 in tackles for loss (Johnson with two fewer games then everyone else) in the conference. Everyone else on the list are juniors or seniors. I think that's saying something about these two guys and their ability. I for one, believe that they have gotten better since the coaching staff made the decision to go away from a structured rotation of the first several games and only bring in backups when the starters needed a blow.Add to that your point of quick drops doesn't allow for much of a pass rush and I think you have to conclude that these two guys are actually playing really well.

Personally, I think that the two inside guys have had a down year that has impacted the ability to put on the pressure from the ends. With the exception of the past few games where Gratzek has shined, the first five or six games showed very little production from the middle and well below their stats from last year.

I personally don't see the team making any significant changes to the end positions in the coming years. These guys will continue to dominate and as they become juniors and then seniors, they will be a force to reckon with. Expect as seniors a similar rotation with the best backups getting 20-25% of the plays in anticipation for the year after we lose Boyer and Johnson. Just my thoughts...

BisonNeil
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
What exactly don't you think Boyer and Johnson are doing at this point? for one, they are sophomores; their first full year of playing. And yet they are both in the top ten in sacks and the top 14 in tackles for loss (Johnson with two fewer games then everyone else) in the conference. Everyone else on the list are juniors or seniors. I think that's saying something about these two guys and their ability. I for one, believe that they have gotten better since the coaching staff made the decision to go away from a structured rotation of the first several games and only bring in backups when the starters needed a blow.Add to that your point of quick drops doesn't allow for much of a pass rush and I think you have to conclude that these two guys are actually playing really well.

Personally, I think that the two inside guys have had a down year that has impacted the ability to put on the pressure from the ends. With the exception of the past few games where Gratzek has shined, the first five or six games showed very little production from the middle and well below their stats from last year.

I personally don't see the team making any significant changes to the end positions in the coming years. These guys will continue to dominate and as they become juniors and then seniors, they will be a force to reckon with. Expect as seniors a similar rotation with the best backups getting 20-25% of the plays in anticipation for the year after we lose Boyer and Johnson. Just my thoughts...

I agree with you. Some previous posters were critical of the lack of pressure the DL has been getting on the QBs. QB pressure comes primarily from the DEs, very few defenses get inside pressure. So, right or wrong, I thought some were basically being critical of the DEs and I was offering an explanation for the lack of pressure. I think they are fine, as evidenced by what they both did against WIU.

steelbison
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree with you. Some previous posters were critical of the lack of pressure the DL has been getting on the QBs. QB pressure comes primarily from the DEs, very few defenses get inside pressure. So, right or wrong, I thought some were basically being critical of the DEs and I was offering an explanation for the lack of pressure. I think they are fine, as evidenced by what they both did against WIU.

Totally agree..tough to get pressure when the QB throws the ball quickly..

What we need(have) to do is get a scheme that works against the spread..We have always struggled against it and we need to address it this off-season.

If I have to watch the same D next year against it then I will question the ability of this coaching staff.

SDbison
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Totally agree..tough to get pressure when the QB throws the ball quickly..

What we need(have) to do is get a scheme that works against the spread..We have always struggled against it and we need to address it this off-season.

If I have to watch the same D next year against it then I will question the ability of this coaching staff.
Excuses, excuses.........overall the Bison Defense gets a D+ for this past year. The only thing worse was special teams.....they get an F. As for the offense, with Paschall give them a C+, without Paschall C-. Lots of room for improvement next year. Bohl has to make some assistant coaching changes or fire himself. Pathetic year for the Bison.