PDA

View Full Version : NDSU - UND Rivalry Video

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I did some playing around to make this old video a little better. Hehe

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison3#p/u/0/d_ZY78siPj8

It's a work in progress. This is a rough draft.

Addition: A Trivia Question

What movie is the music from starting at the 'Immaculate Pitch?' It's my favorite movie...by a long shot.

Kevin
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
omg IT IS 2008 WE R GOING TO THE WAC STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!!!!

NO UND!!! NO USD!!! WE SHOULD BE PLAYING WISCONSIN I HATE WISCONSIN!

stop LIVING IN THE PAST YOUR NOT THAT OLD!

---------

sorry, just saving the lakes the time. great video.

stevdock
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I loved that video. In my opinion though, that video is great the way it is and doesn't need any extra commentary though. I do thank you for getting that up though.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
omg IT IS 2008 WE R GOING TO THE WAC STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!!!!

NO UND!!! NO USD!!! WE SHOULD BE PLAYING WISCONSIN I HATE WISCONSIN!

stop LIVING IN THE PAST YOUR NOT THAT OLD!

---------

sorry, just saving the lakes the time. great video.

Well....thangya very much....2008...LOL

sambini
11-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks ca++++++++++++

WYOBISONMAN
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Has anyone seen Lakes? He is probably checking into the Emergency room because of having a stroke!

I am sure his post is coming..........

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/2/21/Whambulance.gif

onbison09
11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I think that's the best you've done.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that's the best you've done.

Thanks...think I'll maybe extend it by a few minutes and add pictures of players from different eras. I won't change what's there now.

sambini
11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Loved it those guys in Mayville from Paulas cafe.

aces1180
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Are you able to post the video in its original format? I always wanted to the see the 'Fire and Ice' segment again?

BigBison
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Heres the orginal video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwbop13A9yQ

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Are you able to post the video in its original format? I always wanted to the see the 'Fire and Ice' segment again?

Yes...I'll give you the link tonight...but...I think if you did a search on YouTube for 'UND NDSU Rivalry' it would appear. Hope everyone realizes that I was having fun with this. It wasn't meant to be an 'in yir face' anything. I have no love for the school up north...but......but...I especially liked the Dale Lennon section. And the segment from Paula's Cafe in Mayville...that's my hometown, and I've eaten there a lot. It's the main restaurant/hangout in Mayville. The guy sitting in the middle who doesn't say anything...he's a 2nd cousin of mine...a UND fan...but a really good guy. The one that talks about the whole state winning is a doctor in town. Not sure who the guy is that has the UND championship ring t-shirt. I think the guy on the right is Jim LeClair...who came to Mayville to coach at Mayville State...then became mayor...then, I'm not sure what. May-Port had a way of...ah...attracting families with athletic bloodlines. Another family that came to town was the Jacobsen clan. Ben, the head coach at UNI...and UND BB player...and former point guard for May-Port. There was a team with Chuck Klabo, Andy LeClair, one of the Jacobsens, and two other kids that were huge. 1997 That team went to the cities for a holiday tournament and tore up all of the big suburbs that were in it. Some of the elites. Strange, but the football team was just OK, even with Klabo & LeClair.

One other tidbit. The coaches didn't let LeClair tackle during practice. Too many injuries.

onbison09
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Never mind saw someone already posted it.

aces1180
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the link!

aces1180
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh, and I f*&king hate UND...Let's play them!

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM

I'm with you...but let's wait until they're through the transition so that they can't claim that they're short-handed, win or lose. You know how that would go. Let's also get our house in order...and do whatever it takes.

BigBison
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM

I know being a student I've never seen a Bison Sioux game and living on the east side of Minnesota never really got the feel of the rivalry. But that video sure makes me hate them!

aces1180
11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I know being a student I've never seen a Bison Sioux game and living on the east side of Minnesota never really got the feel of the rivalry. But that video sure makes me hate them!

When I was a kid, it was a big deal at my house in Mandan...My dad and I would make chili and watch the game on the ABC affiliate or, if it was really nice out, we would listen in the backyard and play catch. Some of the best times of my life. When I was a student, going to the games in person at the Dome was awesome...Granted, we only won one of those home match-ups (2000) during my tenure at SU, but it was a blast.

I'd be happy if they were scheduled for the home opener on September 18, 2010. That would be a hell of a three week start: at Kansas, at UNI and UND at the Dome.

Edit - I'd also be happy if they played on September 25 in the Fargodome...For some reason, the UND schedule has them playing Northwestern State at home both weeks, so I assume one of those days is TBA. So, either date works for me.

siouxdgj
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I did some playing around to make this old video a little better. Hehe

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison3#p/u/0/d_ZY78siPj8

It's a work in progress. This is a rough draft.

If that's a rough draft, it's a damn good rough draft. Kudos to you, even though I loved the original as it appeared in Football America if I recall correctly. This brings back numerous memories of just how good that UND-NDSU rivalry was through the years. Excellent job of editing and interspersing additional material. Great job.

BlueBisonRock
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I made it a point to get to as many of these Bison - Sue contests as I could. A lot of the games do blend together so I can't always point to the dates. However,

There was one standout play at a game in Grand Forks during the late 70s. Horrible weather with a strong N to S wind. Bison had the ball on about their own 35 driving into the wind. A punt was going to come back towards the Bison. A pass had little chance of success.

Fourth down and a foot per the players a foot or two yards per the chains. The coach listened to the players and decided to go for it. First down!(Later he played the "what was I thinking card"). And a win at GF as this play set the tone for the rest of the game.

Call it what you will (stuck in history, forget the Sue, move forward), but these games and this level of grit built the Bison pride that folks are again demanding. I am glad I experienced the pride and do look forward to the Bison regaining this pride and through it, understanding that the team can do anything that it sets its mind to.

Thanks for the memory CA. And yes, they will suck forever! :D

NDSUstudent
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Heres the orginal video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwbop13A9yQ

There is something missing from the end of that video, something about a playoff game that occurred a few weeks later....

tony
11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hehe, watch it, lest we forget what consummate douchebags ran UND back then.* In fact, the higher up the foodchain you went at UND, the bigger the jackass you'd find. On the flip side, UND fans were really cool. I love the guy talking about the Norwegian skybox, doncha know?

Irony alert: RT saying that North Dakota needs the rivalry when a couple years later he was the guy who held a press conference to pull the plug on it in the biggest "screw you" backfire in history.

* I'm hopeful about the current UND administration.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
There is something missing from the end of that video, something about a playoff game that occurred a few weeks later....

We beat them in a playoff that year...right? Boy, would I love to get a copy of that video.

NDSUstudent
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
We beat them in a playoff that year...right? Boy, would I love to get a copy of that video.

Yep, the Bison crushed them 41-10.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM

It 'is' time...but I want to wait until UND is through the transition. I'm not interested in the 'we were short-handed' routine...win or lose.

It's just me...but I really wish that we had stayed in the Great West...and then we would have the four 'Dakota' schools together again. Just a personal preference...and it allowed me to drive to Cal Poly or Davis every other year. They shoulda done that for me....:D

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Hehe, watch it, lest we forget what consummate douchebags ran UND back then.* In fact, the higher up the foodchain you went at UND, the bigger the jackass you'd find. On the flip side, UND fans were really cool. I love the guy talking about the Norwegian skybox, doncha know?

Irony alert: RT saying that North Dakota needs the rivalry when a couple years later he was the guy who held a press conference to pull the plug on it in the biggest "screw you" backfire in history.

* I'm hopeful about the current UND administration.

Question: Did we really give UND the first chance to pair up with us into the DI adventure? If so...their behavior about our move was really odd. Mind-boggling.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Yep, the Bison crushed them 41-10.

Oh geez...why would any of us be concerned with a minor detail like this missing from the movie? Wow

If I could get my hands on the playoff video...I'd tag it to the original and put it up...for historical accuracy. LOL

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Loved it those guys in Mayville from Paulas cafe.

Those guys, others, and my brother meet there every single morning. They are the Comet, City Hall, Bison, Sioux critics...among other areas of great expertise...:D

Tim Miles...while coaching at Mayville State...used to actually show up once in a while. He was fearless. LOL Actually, these guys were his biggest fan club.

Really though...I know most of them. They're good people. They're very tolerant of each other, even though there's a great divide between Bison & Sioux loyalties. They're able to joke about it most of the time.

siouxdgj
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I made it a point to get to as many of these Bison - Sue contests as I could. A lot of the games do blend together so I can't always point to the dates. However,

There was one standout play at a game in Grand Forks during the late 70s. Horrible weather with a strong N to S wind. Bison had the ball on about their own 35 driving into the wind. A punt was going to come back towards the Bison. A pass had little chance of success.

Fourth down and a foot per the players a foot or two yards per the chains. The coach listened to the players and decided to go for it. First down!(Later he played the "what was I thinking card"). And a win at GF as this play set the tone for the rest of the game.

Call it what you will (stuck in history, forget the Sue, move forward), but these games and this level of grit built the Bison pride that folks are again demanding. I am glad I experienced the pride and do look forward to the Bison regaining this pride and through it, understanding that the team can do anything that it sets its mind to.

Thanks for the memory CA. And yes, they will suck forever! :D

What you describe reminds me of what I believe was the 1984 game at UND's Memorial Stadium. A fierce wind from the north or northwest was blowing that day as well. At times in the game blizzard-like conditions prevailed, so much so that the television cameras at times had trouble keeping track of the actiion. As I recall it, the Bison were fourth and short somewhere around their own 15-yard-line, considered punting, but went for it and made it. NDSU then drove down the field to score a touchdown in what I believe was a narrow 14-3 victory. Had the Sioux defense held and then pushed it in for six, possibly an entirely different outcome. Talk about 14-point swings. Ouch!

Facts
11-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Question: Did we really give UND the first chance to pair up with us into the DI adventure? If so...their behavior about our move was really odd. Mind-boggling.

YES UND had the first shot, something they conviently forget when the shoe is on the other foot. I find it mind boggling too. I think UND actually had a press conference stating they wouldn't play us anymore. Anybody got video on that one?

NDSUstudent
11-06-2009, 03:25 AM
We actually invited the entire NCC to move with us. We even has USD on board until the hockey schools all went against it.

4mcruenomore
11-06-2009, 03:48 AM
2/3 of the DI hockey top 25 have DII football. Is it really DI?

BigBison
11-06-2009, 05:32 AM

You would be correct! At the end of the video: heres the link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHL3es8WRw&feature=related

Bison_Backer
11-06-2009, 06:09 AM
The Funy thing is little brother up the road Built a shed and some how thinks its a stadium.

Hambone
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
When I was a kid, it was a big deal at my house in Mandan...My dad and I would make chili and watch the game on the ABC affiliate or, if it was really nice out, we would listen in the backyard and play catch. Some of the best times of my life. When I was a student, going to the games in person at the Dome was awesome...Granted, we only won one of those home match-ups (2000) during my tenure at SU, but it was a blast.

I'd be happy if they were scheduled for the home opener on September 18, 2010. That would be a hell of a three week start: at Kansas, at UNI and UND at the Dome.

Edit - I'd also be happy if they played on September 25 in the Fargodome...For some reason, the UND schedule has them playing Northwestern State at home both weeks, so I assume one of those days is TBA. So, either date works for me.
Just an FYI - They're actually playing at home in consecutive weeks against Northwestern St and Northeastern St (a D2 in Oklahoma I think). Easy to confuse when taking a quick look and thinking that they're both the same. I think the two open weeks are in the middle of October and the last week of the year.

aces1180
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Just an FYI - They're actually playing at home in consecutive weeks against Northwestern St and Northeastern St (a D2 in Oklahoma I think). Easy to confuse when taking a quick look and thinking that they're both the same. I think the two open weeks are in the middle of October and the last week of the year.

Thanks for the clarification...Very easy to be confused. There goes my wish!

4mcruenomore
11-09-2009, 04:20 AM
I miss a coach with Rocky's fire. "Let's go get them sons-of-b*tches" He had his issues too, but he did good things for NDSU.

TbonZach
11-09-2009, 04:45 AM
My favourite line:

"Every day is a Bison day and every day's Bison weather. Doesn't matter if it's 99 or 10 below."

CaBisonFan
11-09-2009, 05:56 AM
I miss a coach with Rocky's fire. "Let's go get them sons-of-b*tches" He had his issues too, but he did good things for NDSU.

Rocky understood the Bison attitude perfectly. Maybe his intensity caught up with him...er something like that. He loved it so much.