PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Offensive Line

HandoEX
11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
This could be our biggest question mark going into next season, as it's the area we lose the most talent and experience from in Buckman, Ebel and Foster.
Here's who I have tentatively penciled in, note I am NO expert on some of these guys.
OT: Michael Arndt...6'6, 318, SR
OG: Hank Jacobs...6'4, 279, rF
C: Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
OG: Austin Richard...6'2, 319, JR
OT: Paul Cornick...6'5, 295, JR

Now Arndt, Cornick and Richard are locks to start. What about the other two positions?

Hank Jacobs...6'4, 279, rF
Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Carlin Landingham...6'2, 279, SO
Will Britt...6'2, 290, JR
Tyler Gimmestad (or is he definately going to play DT?)...6'2, 299, rF
Someone else???

Share what you guys know:praying:

lakesbison
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
quit scaring me already!

Fightin' Bison
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
This could be our biggest question mark going into next season, as it's the area we lose the most talent and experience from in Buckman, Ebel and Foster.
Here's who I have tentatively penciled in, note I am NO expert on some of these guys.

Now Arndt, Cornick and Richard are locks to start. What about the other two positions?

Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Someone else???

These guys seem a lot smaller than typical Bison offensive lineman. Let's hope they make it up with quickness, speed, strength and bad-ass attitude.

SDbison
11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
These guys seem a lot smaller than typical Bison offensive lineman. Let's hope they make it up with quickness, speed, strength and bad-ass attitude.
Definitely a drop off in size and experiece for these two open positions. What was Bohl thinking, again! There are about 5 or 6 O-lineman on the roster that would be average size for DII or NAIA. They better be animals or the new QB and starting TB will be in trouble.

99Bison
11-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Someone else???

Austin Richard is most likely going to stay at center. Can't imagine that changing, so really looks like two Guard positions are the questionmark.

HandoEX
11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Definitely a drop off in size and experiece for these two open positions. What was Bohl thinking, again! There are about 5 or 6 O-lineman on the roster that would be average size for DII or NAIA. They better be animals or the new QB and starting TB will be in trouble.

I'd bet Jacobs will be around 300lbs by fall camp and he was supposed to be a stud out of high school. Britt, Landingham and Lund are all pretty small though. which I'd think would be a good thing in a lot of ways.

Is Gimmestad going to play D for sure? He's got good size for a guard at this level I think.

lakesbison
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Adam Schueller, 6-4, 295, Fergus Falls, MN, OL

this kid will walk in and start i believe. he is josh campion's partner all through high school and he's at the U of Minn. Fergus had a horrible team this year, but Adam was pancaking left and right.

tony
11-04-2009, 05:42 PM

this kid will walk in and start i believe. he is josh campion's partner all through high school and he's at the U of Minn. Fergus had a horrible team this year, but Adam was pancaking left and right.

You sure he's been playing? He broke his ankle in the second game of the season and was in a wheel chair at some games.

If a guy can play, he can play. I don't think it really matters much 280 vs 300. Obviously, we're going to have to have some guys step up on the offensive line - just like at RB, LB, DL, WR, CB, SS, FS, QB, LS, K, P, etc.

SDbison
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
You sure he's been playing? He broke his ankle in the second game of the season and was in a wheel chair at some games.

If a guy can play, he can play. I don't think it really matters much 280 vs 300. Obviously, we're going to have to have some guys step up on the offensive line - just like at RB, LB, DL, WR, CB, SS, FS, QB, LS, K, P, etc.
Stepping up and playing OK is one thing.......stepping up and being a big difference maker is another. My concern is that on paper we don't have much for experience or size to fill the 3 open positions on o-line. Even if we have 3 difference makers there is still an issue with depth which is even more concern as at least one o-lineman goes down with an injury for a few weeks during a season.

99Bison
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Stepping up and playing OK is one thing.......stepping up and being a big difference maker is another. My concern is that on paper we don't have much for experience or size to fill the 3 open positions on o-line. Even if we have 3 difference makers there is still an issue with depth which is even more concern as at least one o-lineman goes down with an injury for a few weeks during a season.

Only thing I'd change is 2 open positions. RT has been split already this year quite a bit, wouldn't doubt it's been 50% of time.

GOB1SON
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I will assume (you know what that means!) that the kids (Fr, etc...) will continue to add muscle and weight into next fall.

I would think that while weight is important, it is finding the playing weight that allows keeps the boys athletic enough to play yet big enough to throw their weight around that is important. It's no fun being fat and slow. Believe me, I know!

HandoEX
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM

I did some reserach and found that we'd have comparable sized offensive linemen next year as we did in 2006 or 2007 if my starter projections from the first post are accurate. 2010's line average is heavier and would have ball park similarities in experience as well, especially to '07's line.

C: Austin Richard...6'2, 319, JR
OG: Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Average OL weight...299.6 lbs
Average OL height...75.6 inches

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Erickson...6'3, 276, SR
Harrington...6'2, 291, SO
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Tadisch...6'5, 315, SR
Average OL weight...295.6
Average OL height...75.8 inches

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Lekang...6'3, 295, SR
Buckman...6'5, 300, SO
Average OL weight...296.4

bisonhusker
11-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I did some reserach and found that we'd have comparable sized offensive linemen next year as we did in 2006 or 2007 if my starter projections from the first post are accurate. 2010's line average is heavier and would have ball park similarities in experience as well, especially to '07's line.

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Erickson...6'3, 276, SR
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Tadisch...6'5, 315, SR

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Lekang...6'3, 295, SR
Buckman...6'5, 300, SO

Thank you for the proof....I have NO CLUE why people think this is going to be a small line next year. No clue. The new coach has said the future is bright. Lund and Jacobs are going to be great. Interesting to see how Landingham turns out. He was a big recruit. Actually, all three of those guys were as highly rated as any kid that we have signed.

ndsubison1
11-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Someone else???

DJ McGregor? He should be fighting for one of the open spots

SDbison
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Erickson...6'3, 276, SR
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Tadisch...6'5, 315, SR

Safe...6'5, 307, JR
Wagner...6'4, 289, JR
Lekang...6'3, 295, SR
Buckman...6'5, 300, SO
Well, I said after the starters not much for experience and size. I think if you looked at where we are at with back ups that are experienced and have size we are in trouble next year compared to 2006 through 2009.

Sioux27
11-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Fergus started mostly sophomores this year and were on the receiving end of many beatings. Adam is now in a walking cast and hopes to still play hoops this year. Adam didn't have one pancake this year (he only played 6 quarters) before breaking his leg. I think Adam will struggle to get on the field for the Bison. Work ethic and injuries have been problems. He is going to need to get some good coaching to get him ready physically and mentally.

IzzyFlexion
11-04-2009, 07:24 PM
I will assume (you know what that means!) that the kids (Fr, etc...) will continue to add muscle and weight into next fall.

I would think that while weight is important, it is finding the playing weight that allows keeps the boys athletic enough to play yet big enough to throw their weight around that is important. It's no fun being fat and slow. Believe me, I know!

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son. -Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

Bison"FANatic"
11-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I guess lakes meant something else with the pancaking all year reference. So was it the Kiwanis each weekend or a church feed or were you just making up that he was pancaking all year without playing.

BisonNolesFan77
11-04-2009, 11:41 PM

No, he will not walk in and start...he will walk in, redshirt, lift, and if he is lucky and works his ass off he MIGHT challenge for a job as a RFr, wouldnt count on it though. OLineman need the time to physically mature, get their footwork up to par, get their pad level down, and spend as much time as they can in weightroom. 23 year old 5th year senior DT vs. a 18 year old true freshman OG...at this level...I give the DT the advantage every damn down.

Just beacuse a guy who played on the OL with him is going to Minnesota, doesn't mean he can walk into NDSU and start, your teammates in high school don't earn you starting jobs in college.

Pancaking left and right? Hmmm...kid must be flat out amazing if he was doing that with a cast on his leg.

GoRams
11-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Joe Lund...6'1, 287, SO
Someone else???

This O-line is going to be tough again next year. The only thing that they will loose is experience. I have no problem with the size of this offensive line, people get much to worked up about having a massive o-line. The Denver Broncos right now average 6'4" 300 lbs, and nobody argues their success. We run the ball, these guys need to be athletes. The only time its good to have some who can't move in there is if all your going to do is spread the field and pass the ball, which I seriously doubt will be our focus for next years season.

Scott Fuchs is an excellent coach. He came to NDSU and the first thing he did was take the confusion out of this offense. These guys we have are tough, blue collar guys from the midwest who would run through a brick wall if coach told them it needed to be done. Many people like to rip on the recruiting, that may be true in some positions but not offensive line. We recruit dominating linemen. Look at how well they have played this year, we run the ball at will and for the most part our pass protection has been fine. Those are all Bohl recruits. We loose Buckman, Foster, and Ebel this year. I think that Cornick will be great, he is tough and more aggressive then Ebel. The young guys will do fine next year, they have another year to learn the offense better and an off-season to do nothing but lift wieghts and grow. Not counting any unforseen injuries, this group is going to be tough again this year.

sambini
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Scott Fuch s will get it done.

twowheels
11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
The injury to Ebel has allowed Corish to see the field more than he may have if the injury had not occurred. I have noticed Ebel is still wareing a brace on his knee. Corish has stepped up and been able to gain valuable experience this year, Ebel is still playing hard but as others have said the right tackle spot should be in good hands next year.

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Wonder if we'll consider picking up an offensive lineman or two from the JUCO or FBS ranks.

Notorious
11-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Wonder if we'll consider picking up an offensive lineman or two from the JUCO or FBS ranks.

Does Lance Larson have any eligibility left?

westnodak93bison
11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
imho, the o-line is the least of our worries.

X-Factor
11-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Buckman is the big loss. find a way to replace him and we will once again have the best OL in the Missouri Valley. More than likely we will see a dropoff from losing 3 starters, but the OL still should be pretty decent.

NDSUstudent
11-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Bohl has always done a good job with reloading on the line, plus we have Fuchs. The line is definitely the least of our worries.

westnodak93bison
11-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Buckman will be missed. Found this on youtube when I did a 2010 draft prospect search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpqLwfWBrE

HandoEX
11-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Buckman will be missed. Found this on youtube when I did a 2010 draft prospect search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpqLwfWBrE

Wow, I didn't realize he was THAT high of a prospect!

EndZoneQB
11-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow, I didn't realize he was THAT high of a prospect!

Take this for what you will, but the only player we have on ESPNs draft coverage is PP, and he's graded as a "20". USD and SDSU have multiple players.

bisonmike2
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Scott Fuch s will get it done.

Fuch yeah he will!

/sorry, I've used that before but I can't help it.

SDbison
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
imho, the o-line is the least of our worries.
Based on what........you have to be kidding right?

NDSUstudent
11-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Based on what........you have to be kidding right?

Have you seen our secondary? Recievers? QBs? Kickers?

Bohl and his staff have always done a good job with O-Line, they'll plug the holes like they always do.

DjKyRo
11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
The only place we won't have big questions marks next year is RB, as far as I'm concerned. Between DJ, Voit, Sigers and Ojuri we already are stacked but add Ryan Smith to the mix (granted he'll likely redshirt) and it's going to be our one good-looking position that won't have a lot to prove.

Secondly, I'd say our WR corps is going to look markedly better next year - we'll have Mack and Williams coming back, plus our redshirted freshman will all be fighting for playing time and we have some nice recruits coming in.

HandoEX
11-07-2009, 12:17 AM
The only place we won't have big questions marks next year is RB, as far as I'm concerned. Between DJ, Voit, Sigers and Ojuri we already are stacked but add Ryan Smith to the mix (granted he'll likely redshirt) and it's going to be our one good-looking position that won't have a lot to prove.

Secondly, I'd say our WR corps is going to look markedly better next year - we'll have Mack and Williams coming back, plus our redshirted freshman will all be fighting for playing time and we have some nice recruits coming in.
Our D line looks to be a really, really bright spot next year.

Sioux27
11-07-2009, 01:45 AM

Smith f/k/a Dressler is going to be a gem for the Bison. I am very bitter he didn't commit elsewhere. I would play the guy at PR/KR/WR with an occasional touch in the backfield. I hate to say it but this kid will rewrite the Bison record books in various ways. No, he is not a relative but I do know the family. I am all for the Sioux/Bison rivaly to continue, but I want it to start either A) while Bohl is still HC or B) after Smith is gone........

RunDMc34
11-07-2009, 02:19 AM

ummm no love for our "best" receiver Warren Holloway?

best is a relative term when it comes to this corp of WRs

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM

And Woods.

OldBison
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Good arguments have been made I think to show that the size of next years OL will be fine and certainly in line with many in the past. I have no concerns there. But, I do think there are concerns about next year's OL when it comes to experience.

Other than Cornick, who really has only gotten a lot of snaps due to an injury to Ebel, none of next year's starters have gotten snaps this year, which concerns me a great deal. This is much different than the past.

The stalwarts on this year's OL saw considerable playing time when they were RFr (Buckman, Foster, Richard) and that was true in the past as well (Safe, Harrington, etc.). None of the guys being talked about as OG or C have seen the field, which means they certainly have no experience and they may very well not be as talented as those on the current line. If they were, I would argue that they would be getting snaps. :hide:

At the very least, the interior of the OL could struggle against the likes of KS and UNI in the first two games :confused:

HandoEX
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Good arguments have been made I think to show that the size of next years OL will be fine and certainly in line with many in the past. I have no concerns there. But, I do think there are concerns about next year's OL when it comes to experience.

Other than Cornick, who really has only gotten a lot of snaps due to an injury to Ebel, none of next year's starters have gotten snaps this year, which concerns me a great deal. This is much different than the past.

The stalwarts on this year's OL saw considerable playing time when they were RFr (Buckman, Foster, Richard) and that was true in the past as well (Safe, Harrington, etc.). None of the guys being talked about as OG or C have seen the field, which means they certainly have no experience and they may very well not be as talented as those on the current line. If they were, I would argue that they would be getting snaps. :hide:

At the very least, the interior of the OL could struggle against the likes of KS and UNI in the first two games :confused:

Austin Richard has started every single game this year if I remember correctly. Besides a few huge mistakes against UNI, he has looked really solid too. Arndt has started all season too so we return 3 O linemen with plenty of experience.

ndsubison1
11-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but I think McGregor has gotten in for a few snaps this year

HandoEX
11-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but I think McGregor has gotten in for a few snaps this year

As far as I know, he played against Illinois State and that's it.

westnodak93bison
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Have you seen our secondary? Recievers? QBs? Kickers?

Bohl and his staff have always done a good job with O-Line, they'll plug the holes like they always do.

I'm far more concerned about our LB crew. I know alot of people on this board have raved about Evans but he sure seems hesitant or slow and out of position alot. Jemison needs 20lbs+ and I'm not sold on Anderson. However, Beson seems to have some potential.

HandoEX
11-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Beckius, Lund and McGregor all played against Indiana State. Good to get them some playing time, even if it was in mop up duty.

BadlandsBison
11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm far more concerned about our LB crew. I know alot of people on this board have raved about Evans but he sure seems hesitant or slow and out of position alot. Jemison needs 20lbs+ and I'm not sold on Anderson. However, Beson seems to have some potential.

Sorry for this thread drift, but I'm with you on the line backing core. One guy we sorely missed was Eddie Beason. I thought he was a stud in the spring game, he made a ton of tackles I beleive he hurt his knee? It'll be great to get him back.

Now to get back on track, Austin Richard will certainly anchor our line. There's one guy we can definately depend on. Congrats to him being named lineman of the week a second time, howa bout that! Great job Austin++++