PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Number Cards?

BraxtonT
11-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Anybody else think were tipping our hand as to what defensive scheme we are going to do when one of the assistants puts up the big card with the number on it?

The reason I ask goes back to the first year (1993) the dome was open. That first year the Bison stood on the west side of the field. IIRC the reason given at the time to go to the east side in 1994 was because other teams were picking up signals on the game tapes which the Bison felt were helping the other teams prepare.

We aren't too good on defense the way it is, but telling the other team what package we are going to play doesn't seem too wise.

I would appreciate someone with real football experience to weigh in on this.

Swany
11-04-2009, 04:43 AM
We aren't tipping our hand. Those number cards have nothing to do with the defense set we are in. They have to do with the offensive personnel on the field. They are very common in college football. Most FBS teams have them. For example, if the number card says "12," that means 1 running back and 2 tight ends. Likewise, if the number card says "21," that means 2 running backs and 1 tight end.

It lets the defense know what personnel is coming onto the field for the offense. If they show a "32" card (3 running backs and 2 tight ends) on 3rd and 3, they might only have a limited number of plays out with that personnel and the defense can adjust accordingly. The defense can make their calls and adjustments then to help defend against the play.

At least that is my understanding of the card system. Hope it is helpful.

tcbison
11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
We aren't tipping our hand. Those number cards have nothing to do with the defense set we are in. They have to do with the offensive personnel on the field. They are very common in college football. Most FBS teams have them. For example, if the number card says "12," that means 1 running back and 2 tight ends. Likewise, if the number card says "21," that means 2 running backs and 1 tight end.

It lets the defense know what personnel is coming onto the field for the offense. If they show a "32" card (3 running backs and 2 tight ends) on 3rd and 3, they might only have a limited number of plays out with that personnel and the defense can adjust accordingly. The defense can make their calls and adjustments then to help defend against the play.

Yeah, this is right on. It was talked about on one of the Craig Bohl football shows. Not sure which one though.

spelunker64
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, this is right on. It was talked about on one of the Craig Bohl football shows. Not sure which one though.

The one right before the "Whale of a game" one

TAILG8R
11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
The one right before the "Whale of a game" one

Is that the one where coach had a sh!t eatin' grin on his face?

td577
11-04-2009, 09:03 PM

I didn't know what the numbers meant but I did think it would have been confusing for guys to know 32 plays and then keep them in the right order.

bisonmike2
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Instead of a number system they should just hold up cards that tell the defense what to do. Here are a couple of my suggestions.

TACKLE THE GUY WITH THE BALL
INTERCEPT THE PASS

sambini
11-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Maybe Those Cards Are For How Many Kegs To Order From Teddy At Chubs?

TheDoctor
11-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Maybe Those Cards Are For How Many Kegs To Order From Teddy At Chubs?

Maybe....I'd take the word of the guy who sells Teddy all the kegs. Lets ask him! :D ;)

BraxtonT
11-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the information. I haven't been a faithful watcher of the Bohl Show this season. I just can't make myself go through it on Sunday, too!!