PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition #1: Dragons

NoDakSt
11-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Dragons cross the river Tuesday night in an exhibition matchup with the Herd. Moorhead returns 4 of their top 5 scorers from last years 22-8 squad lead by 6'1" F Alison Nash-Gerlach and 6'3" P Megan Rettke.

NoDakSt
11-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Starters are: Birkel, Hodgson, Plucker, Samuelson, and Zaruba.

NoDakSt
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
DeHoff's first visit from the Dragons.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/258404/

Elephants Dream?
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM
It should be a fun evening.
Sprinkle in the new players thruout the game
and watch all the combinations.
Having bench players! That almost sounds strange
after the end of last year, especially in Sioux Falls when
Skye was the lone scholly player left.

ndsubison1
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
It should be a fun evening.
Sprinkle in the new players thruout the game
and watch all the combinations.
Having bench players! That almost sounds strange
after the end of last year, especially in Sioux Falls when
Skye was the lone scholly player left.

i feel like im reading some type of poem when i read your posts :D

lakesbison
11-04-2009, 12:37 AM
28 24 NDSU.

inger has 12. 4 min left to halftime its 735pm if you dont get this right away

http://www.gobison.com/liveStats/newLiveStats.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&DB_LANG=C&KEY=&SPID=698&SPORT_ID=698&GAME_STAT_ID=454913

NoDakSt
11-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Bison lead Dragons 34-30 in a sloppy first half where teams combined for 17 turnovers.

Inger is shooting lights out going 4-5 from 3 pt. land for 12 points. No one else has been really spectacular. But DeHoff is giving everyone playing time.

lakesbison
11-04-2009, 12:52 AM
only 4 to MSUM? cmon!!!

http://www.gobison.com/liveStats/newLiveStats.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&DB_LANG=C&KEY=&SPID=698&SPORT_ID=698&GAME_STAT_ID=454913

NoDakSt
11-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Bison up 73-58 at the 3:16 mark. Herd have hit 10 3 pt. shots lead by the 5-6 shooting of Hodgson, who has 21 points. Birkel has 15 points.

DjKyRo
11-04-2009, 03:27 AM
From the looks of it our perimeter game is keen as always and we have some semblance of an inside game. Take out the crazy amount of turnovers and we might just have ourselves a ball team.

rdh701
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Two things that seemed significant to me, the speed/quickness of the new players, and the crisper passing. Both look much improved, this could be a fun year to see a lot of team growth, with some excellent basketball to come.

NoDakSt
11-04-2009, 01:28 PM
GoBison didn't even have a pregame write-up on site about this game. I noticed that Shea, Vigil, and Tingelstad didn't play and curious if anyone knows why.

DeHoff did lots of platoon shuffling from the sounds of it so several different combinations were in place.

need to rebound better.

roadwarrior
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
It was reported that Shea was sick.

lakesbison
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Ashley T said she was playing vs MSUM. so yea, that is wierd for sure, since even if you are red shirting you can play in exhibitions, hmmmm

bisonpride
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Sloppy game. MSUM only had 4 returning players available with their starting PG out, had a bunch of true freshman seeing alot of playing time and we needed a mid second half run to pull away!?!? If it wasnt for Hodgson shooting lights out early we would have been down at the half. MSUM is at most an above average DII team, probably finish in the top 25 but will not be an elite 8 type team and will likely not finish in the top 3 in the NSIC. We took advantage of their inexperienced PGs making poor decisions throwing the ball right to us. It was not impressive. On the floor last night was one clear cut D1 player and that was Hodgson. The rest are above average D2/ fringe D1 players and it was obvious. You take Hodgson out of the game and it is pretty much a stalemate especially if the Dragons had as much experience at the point as we had. Mankato destroyed a more experienced MSUM team last year by 30+ 3 times. Are we improved from where Amy left us, I think so, but we still have a ways to go to make any sort of noise at the Division 1 level like volleyball or softball or the SDSU women. I didnt see one new player that made you go, wow, we have her for 4 years. There may be someone to prove me wrong but not likely. Those are the kind of impact players we need and they should be head and shoulders above D2 competition like Hodgson looked last night.

SDbison
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Sloppy game. MSUM only had 4 returning players available with their starting PG out, had a bunch of true freshman seeing alot of playing time and we needed a mid second half run to pull away!?!? If it wasnt for Hodgson shooting lights out early we would have been down at the half. MSUM is at most an above average DII team, probably finish in the top 25 but will not be an elite 8 type team and will likely not finish in the top 3 in the NSIC. We took advantage of their inexperienced PGs making poor decisions throwing the ball right to us. It was not impressive. On the floor last night was one clear cut D1 player and that was Hodgson. The rest are above average D2/ fringe D1 players and it was obvious. You take Hodgson out of the game and it is pretty much a stalemate especially if the Dragons had as much experience at the point as we had. Mankato destroyed a more experienced MSUM team last year by 30+ 3 times. Are we improved from where Amy left us, I think so, but we still have a ways to go to make any sort of noise at the Division 1 level like volleyball or softball or the SDSU women. I didnt see one new player that made you go, wow, we have her for 4 years. There may be someone to prove me wrong but not likely. Those are the kind of impact players we need and they should be head and shoulders above D2 competition like Hodgson looked last night.
Good observations! So now that SDSU is totally loaded with great players shouldn't NDSU be able to pick up some that just can't fit on their roster? What is up with recruiting for womens basketball and football at NDSU. Two programs that were once proud and great!

99Bison
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

How many games did you see last year? Comments just seem in contrast to what one would say if based on more than one game.

NDSUstudent
11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I thought the team looked much better than previous years. The freshmen looked solid for playing in their first game but with that said Dehoff wasn't really trying to beat MSU-M by 30 there was a lot of subbing going on.

bisonpride
11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I thought the team looked much better than previous years. The freshmen looked solid for playing in their first game but with that said Dehoff wasn't really trying to beat MSU-M by 30 there was a lot of subbing going on.

I went to at least half the home games last year and had the same observations last year and made reference to how they would compare to a D2 program if we were still D2 last year. Well last night we got to see the comparison and I was pretty much spot on. I should have included Birkel in that group with Hodgson. She has been a fairly consistent performer and I expect her outside shooting to be better this year.

ndsubison1
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Just an exhibition game, people are making too much of a deal about this

99Bison
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I went to at least half the home games last year and had the same observations last year and made reference to how they would compare to a D2 program if we were still D2 last year. Well last night we got to see the comparison and I was pretty much spot on. I should have included Birkel in that group with Hodgson. She has been a fairly consistent performer and I expect her outside shooting to be better this year.

That's a little more interesting as last year Birkel looked like the only one at a higher level along with Plucker before getting hurt.

bisonpride
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM

MSUM actually played more bench then we did. They had 8 players play 16 or more minutes and had 9 with 10 or more. Zaruba and Plucker 2 rebounds in 23 and 25 minutes??? They were each doubled in rebounds by 3 MSUM guards, two of which were Freshman. That is not going to get it done. Quite frankly their Freshman were more impressive then ours. Two of them combined for 17 points. Degagne was ok but showed no impact play what so ever and neither did Linz. Neither showed they will bring something special off of the bench or some type of spark with great athleticism or a a dimension that we need to get them in the game to hit a big shot because they can flat shoot the ball. When you play down a level your post game should dominate and quite frankly despite our physical size and strength advantage we did not come close to dominating. Nash-Gerlach for them was by far the best post player on the floor.

My point being, as a Division 1 program it should not matter how much subbing you do, you should be at the level with depth of players that a late run doesnt make the difference in the game against a D2. The bench didnt get emptied until the 10 minute mark as a rotation of primarily 7 players were used the first 30 minutes of the game. We should be able to sub in 5 new players that clearly are better then a D2 opponent. We used to have that in the mid 90s. Until we get to that level we will continue to be a middle of the road team in a bottom 3rd d1 conference. If we were at the beginning of the transition it is understandable but this is year 6. Again it is early but 1 game flashes are not going to cut it. Winning teams have consistent players.

EasternEdge
11-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Bisonpride doesn't know what he is talking about, saying MSUM is at most an above average DII team. There are 300 DII teams and if you are in the top 25 you seem to be doing pretty well. He also said MSUM will likely not finish in the top 3 in the NSIC, something they have done 4 of the past 5 years with the one year they didn't they finished 4th. Also saying MSUM lost to Mankato last year by 30+ 3 times. While they didn't match up well, the losses were 19, 36, and 20. Also, NDSUstudent saying DeHoff wasn't trying to win by 30 so she was constantly subbing, taking it easy on MSUM. NDSU having the starters avg 30 minutes and being up by only 4 at half doesn't seem to bear that out.

99Bison
11-04-2009, 08:34 PM
It's also year one under new coaching staff's regime, which unfortunately started off at completely empty cupboards.

bisonpride
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Bisonpride doesn't know what he is talking about, saying MSUM is at most an above average DII team. There are 300 DII teams and if you are in the top 25 you seem to be doing pretty well. He also said MSUM will likely not finish in the top 3 in the NSIC, something they have done 4 of the past 5 years with the one year they didn't they finished 4th. Also saying MSUM lost to Mankato last year by 30+ 3 times. While they didn't match up well, the losses were 19, 36, and 20. Also, NDSUstudent saying DeHoff wasn't trying to win by 30 so she was constantly subbing, taking it easy on MSUM. NDSU having the starters avg 30 minutes and being up by only 4 at half doesn't seem to bear that out.

We at one time were a Division II power. Any team that is not in the top 50 in d2 is quite frankly below average. MSUM is a top 25 team in a conference that has last years National Champion. So considering they are above average. Could they finish in the top 3, absolutely but it is a very balanced conference and a very different conference compared to even just 3 years ago so using 5 years is irrelevant. Augie, St Cloud, Duluth, and Mankato were not part of the conference then. Those are 4 very solid programs to go along with Concordia-St Paul, Wayne State, and Winona. Someone in that mix is going to end up 6th and 7th. MSUM is a preseason 4th in the conference. MSUM is a very good D2 team, likely a post season qualifier, Elite 8 not likely but a very good d2 team. We left D2 6 years ago and should be at another level now. We had a very small team last year, partly due to injury but also by design to bring in some new players. It is early but to me I dont see an impact player in the bunch among newcomers. There is not a Gherke, or Freolich, or Rhadamacher, or Even, or Morelach who you instantly say, "this girl can play" in this group of new comers from what i can tell.

NoDakSt
11-04-2009, 09:22 PM

My point being, as a Division 1 program it should not matter how much subbing you do, you should be at the level with depth of players that a late run doesnt make the difference in the game against a D2. The bench didnt get emptied until the 10 minute mark as a rotation of primarily 7 players were used the first 30 minutes of the game. We should be able to sub in 5 new players that clearly are better then a D2 opponent. We used to have that in the mid 90s. Until we get to that level we will continue to be a middle of the road team in a bottom 3rd d1 conference. If we were at the beginning of the transition it is understandable but this is year 6. Again it is early but 1 game flashes are not going to cut it. Winning teams have consistent players.[/QUOTE]

I think you're wrong on your recount of the game. According to gametracker, DeHoff substituted the bench liberally during the first half of the game. Unless that source is wrong, I don't understand why you feel that the bench was not released until the last 10 minute mark.

JacksFan06
11-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I think the biggest problem with the NDSU women's basketball program is the lack of home grown talent. I know SDSU is succeeding in a big part because every year there is a good crop of high school DI players in South Dakota to recruit from.

Just glancing at the rosters quick, SDSU has 9 players from South Dakota and NDSU has 0 players from North Dakota. That's crazy to me that there is that much disparity between the two states in this sport.

bisonpride
11-05-2009, 02:08 PM

I think you're wrong on your recount of the game. According to gametracker, DeHoff substituted the bench liberally during the first half of the game. Unless that source is wrong, I don't understand why you feel that the bench was not released until the last 10 minute mark.

Did they check into the game, sure. But with the exception of Burich, Linz was the only one who played more then about 2 minutes in the first half and she only played about 5. They did not see extended minutes until around the 10 minute mark. That's basically going 7 deep and using 8, 9, and 10 to provide a quick breather. Exhibition games are to give a coach the opportunity to play a DeGagne type of player some extended minutes earlier in the game in more of a serious role to see how they can handle themselves before the real thing. That's all I am saying.

BISON555
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Why is it that so much is being made of this first EXHIBITION game??
Perhaps we should look at a few facts prior to making any conclusions...
First off the three players that did not go into the game, Shea- Illness, Tingelstad- pulled muscle, should be back in the next week or so. Vigil- still dealing with knee issues from last year, not at 100%, and not sure of when she will be.
As far as how the team looked, about what I expected. You are playing a lot more girls off the bench and this will take a little time to gel with the players that were used to playing and staying in for most of the game. Our freshmen are impressive, and looked a little nervous which is to be expected their first game. Burich will be a dominate presence!! Linz is a pure shooter with great vision. Tingelstads athleticism will be had to match anywhere, and she has great anticipation. Degagne will be a great player with time, athletic and a great shot.
The challenge should is on the coaching staff to get these girls to play to their strengths, which help the team. Great players need a system, but remember their individuality makes them great. Harness that and use it to the team’s advantage that is the combination to a successful program. Let’s hope Dehoff understands this!

NoDakSt
11-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Somewhat related note: Winona State knocked off the Gophers (who only lost one starter from last year.)

NDSUstudent
11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Somewhat related note: Winona State knocked off the Gophers (who only lost one starter from last year.)

And MSUM was picked to finish higher in the NSIC than Winona in the preseason poll. I guess that means the Gophers are loaded with DII talent and would lose to Mankato by 30. ;)