PDA

View Full Version : NYC Marathon

tony
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Meb Wins! Meb Wins! Meb Wins!

Meb Keflezighi, that is. I know, he's not an NDSU runner but it is track.

I've been waiting to find out how former Bison runner Christopher Raabe did but haven't found anything yet. I read that he got in a pretty bad car accident in August (dislocated his knee cap). I remember when he won Grandma's that he said he didn't do much at NDSU (he has a top 10 time in the 10,000).

Castor Troy
11-01-2009, 06:54 PM

I've been waiting to find out how former Bison runner Christopher Raabe did but haven't found anything yet. I read that he got in a pretty bad car accident in August (dislocated his knee cap). I remember when he won Grandma's that he said he didn't do much at NDSU (he has a top 10 time in the 10,000).

Chris ran 2:19, but not really sure of his place. The results only give you the top 8 overall finishers or the top American finishers. All I know is that 2:16 was 14th place. With 2:19 he was probable top 25. Very good, I think.

Chris saw his career as pretty non-descript for all of the effort he put into it. I remember a Forum article where he said that he ran 120 miles a week. He see that he took 58th in Division II National for cross in 2000. He is a great marathoner- for sure.

tcbison
11-02-2009, 01:24 AM

My wife and I watched it. Great to see a USA runner win!

tony
11-02-2009, 01:49 AM
I just found out that Raabe made it into the top 20 (he was #20.) Nice job!

Castor Troy
11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I just found out that Raabe made it into the top 20 (he was #20.) Nice job!

That really is amazing considering that he dislocated his knee cap in August. About Chris' comment about not doing much at NDSU, this is typical of distance runners. We are very hard on ourselves because expect more because our training is so difficult and the accolades do not come easy even for those that are the best in the business. He was one of the best long distance runners NDSU has had. He may even be top 10, which is saying a lot with the likes of Slack, Bollman, Stambaugh, Bacon, Hanson, Schmidt, Shurb, and Hoff.

onbison09
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Look at this idiot http://www.cnbc.com/id/33587668. I'm the you sir are an idiot comment.

mebisonII
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Look at this idiot http://www.cnbc.com/id/33587668. I'm the you sir are an idiot comment.

Bah humbug to him, as well. I would venture to say many of 'Americas' greatest achievements, in science and art as well as athletics, were made by foreign-born people who choose to come here to pursue their goals. Its what we do.

Besides, what's wrong with ringers? :p

tcbison
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Bah humbug to him, as well. I would venture to say many of 'Americas' greatest achievements, in science and art as well as athletics, were made by foreign-born people who choose to come here to pursue their goals. Its what we do.

Besides, what's wrong with ringers? :p

A ton of the best runners in the world train in the US and then go and run for their home countries. I have no problem with Meb being a US citizen and wearing the USA. Honestly, if the US is going to train all these people I wish more would become citizens and wear the USA jersey. Did you see how proud he was during the race? He was pointing at his jersey with pride.

My wife in college ran with a girl from Mexico. She became a US citizen and runs for the US. She easily could have gone back and ran for Mexico in the last 2 Olympics. Instead, she took 4th(USA takes 3 in the marathon) place and just missed it but she wouldn't have changed that for anything in the world because she is proud to be an American.

tcbison
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM

He wrote another article today on the subject.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33603449/

mebisonII
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
A ton of the best runners in the world train in the US and then go and run for their home countries. I have no problem with Meb being a US citizen and wearing the USA. Honestly, if the US is going to train all these people I wish more would become citizens and wear the USA jersey. Did you see how proud he was during the race? He was pointing at his jersey with pride.

My wife in college ran with a girl from Mexico. She became a US citizen and runs for the US. She easily could have gone back and ran for Mexico in the last 2 Olympics. Instead, she took 4th(USA takes 3 in the marathon) place and just missed it but she wouldn't have changed that for anything in the world because she is proud to be an American.

Agree 100%.

DjKyRo
11-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Morons, the whole lot of them. Looking at the photo on the CNBC link provided earlier, the guy appears to be waving an American flag and sporting "USA" on his gear. Wouldn't that seem to be fairly representative of the United States?

Idiots...

OrygunBison
11-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I really don't think anyone takes CNBC seriously. I'm surpised that there were even enough people to read the article to comment. I only read it because it was linked here.

That guy is an ass clown.