PDA

View Full Version : Not Good Enough

SDbison
11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
So the Bison got an ugly win yesterday over THE WORST team in the conference. If not for a big break in the form of a stupid penalty the roles could have been reversed and NDSU would, by record, be the worst team in the conference. As far as I am concerned NDSU is still at the bottom. This team has so many issues its hard to know where to start. So I will be general and list broader categories where things are lacking:
1. Teamwork (involving everything listed below)
2. Leadership (both players and coaches)
3. Discipline (past issues off field and lots of penalties on field)
4. Execution (one good play followed by a bad play, etc.)
5. Conditioning (whats up with all the injuries)
6. Fire and emotion (both players and coaches)
7. Depth and skill in most positions (its not just due to injuries)
8. Winning attitude (hard to have when you lose all the time)
9. Good game plan (iffy offensive play selection and defensive schemes)
10. Smart coaching decisions (lots of goofy game calls)
Something has to change for next year. Status quo is not good enough. Starts at the top. There has to be some coaching changes. Need a new O-coordinator and special teams coach. Also some assurances the defensive scheme will involve more stunting and blitzing. Get on the wide recievers......playing 12 yards off them at the LOS is just plain stupid. Somehow Bohl has to get closer with his players and assistant coaches. There is no team cohesiveness. If he can't do that then Bohl should just leave town. Also, in the off season there better be a long term assessment on how to recruit, retain and better develop players. We suck at it right now. No excuse for NDSU with all the fan support (attendance and $$$$), facilities and tradition to have fallen so far. This is a total shame. No way should the yakrabbit program beat us 3 years in a row and go to playoffs first. Yet it has happened.
Saying just wait until next year should not be acceptable. The Bison lose Paschall (one of few guys with heart and skills on this team), 3 out of 5 good o-lineman will graduate, and there will be a learning curve at QB. There are question marks at most every position for next year. This team (coaches and players) need a go to a new level of dedication and determination. Who is going to provide the spark.........the new university president, Gene Taylor, Coach Bohl, Teammakers, players, fans and students? The answer is we all must demand excellence! If not, this program will continue to falter. Rant done.

unbison
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
That is it..... I think that discipline is the biggest thing lacking on this team!
not just off the field... the stupid penalties have to stop!
all these injuries make it seem as though conditioning is a very valid point!

OldBison
11-01-2009, 03:29 PM
You're right about the penalties, the Bison haven't improved much in that area over the course of the season. Seven penalties yesterday :banghead:

But then again I read that the Gophers had 17 penalites for 154 yds against Michigan State. Ouch!

So, I guess it could be worse :D

Jdubs21
11-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Yea we gotta be leading the country in penalty yards...we gotta average 100yds a game dont we?

MontanaBisonFan
11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Yea we gotta be leading the country in penalty yards...we gotta average 100yds a game dont we?

Look on the bright side. At least we are leading at something.

MHDBisonfan
11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
You're right about the penalties, the Bison haven't improved much in that area over the course of the season. Seven penalties yesterday :banghead:

But then again I read that the Gophers had 17 penalites for 154 yds against Michigan State. Ouch!

So, I guess it could be worse :D

I was at that game...there were total phantom calls to go along with undisciplined play...net result: over 200 yards of penalties for both teams...at one point the entire crowd was chanting "these refs suck...these refs suck..." then booed the entire rest of the possession. multiply the little ranting icon face by 50,000 and thats what the crowd looked like after some of those calls!

:ranting: :ranting: :( :ranting: :ranting::mad: :) :ranting: :ranting::( :ranting: :ranting: :mad: <--- my row

edit: i forgot to add "me" in the middle there before...haha

CaBisonFan
11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
So the Bison got an ugly win yesterday over THE WORST team in the conference. If not for a big break in the form of a stupid penalty the roles could have been reversed and NDSU would, by record, be the worst team in the conference. As far as I am concerned NDSU is still at the bottom. This team has so many issues its hard to know where to start. So I will be general and list broader categories where things are lacking:
Something has to change for next year. Status quo is not good enough. Starts at the top. There has to be some coaching changes. Need a new O-coordinator and special teams coach. Also some assurances the defensive scheme will involve more stunting and blitzing. Get on the wide recievers......playing 12 yards off them at the LOS is just plain stupid. Somehow Bohl has to get closer with his players and assistant coaches. There is no team cohesiveness. If he can't do that then Bohl should just leave town. Also, in the off season there better be a long term assessment on how to recruit, retain and better develop players. We suck at it right now. No excuse for NDSU with all the fan support (attendance and $$$$), facilities and tradition to have fallen so far. This is a total shame. No way should the yakrabbit program beat us 3 years in a row and go to playoffs first. Yet it has happened.
Saying just wait until next year should not be acceptable. The Bison lose Paschall (one of few guys with heart and skills on this team), 3 out of 5 good o-lineman will graduate, and there will be a learning curve at QB. There are question marks at most every position for next year. This team (coaches and players) need a go to a new level of dedication and determination. Who is going to provide the spark.........the new university president, Gene Taylor, Coach Bohl, Teammakers, players, fans and students? The answer is we all must demand excellence! If not, this program will continue to falter. Rant done.

SD...I'm with you 99.999999 percent. I especially agree with demanding excellence. We've never been this patient with something that is so glaring. This is nothing even close to Bison football. There are a bunch of good young players coming up. They need a leader on the field...and off. They signed on for excellence. It's the university's job to give them the leadership. Patience is a virtue in many situations...but we've already been patient.

met1990
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey SD--might have been a little easier to just post what you did like about the team...

CaBisonFan
11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey SD--might have been a little easier to just post what you did like about the team...

It would have been easier...but it wouldn't have been worth a damn. He's dead-on. The program (meaning the backers) needs to face the music. The details are important. Hate to be so negative met...I really, sincerely do...but there's a fundamental problem that is causing all of this.

TransAmBison
11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
There is a minimum you have to post...and there is not enough to like about the team to fill that amount.

CaBisonFan
11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
There is a minimum you have to post...and there is not enough to like about the team to fill that amount.

Tatatadaaaaaa

NDSUFan_Sav
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM

defense line?? paschall??

kicker?? (ok i had to get a joke in)

NDSUstudent
11-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I would say O-line and Paschall are easily good enough to talk about. Paschall is once again leading the nation in rushing.

D-line played well yesterday and they would be a pretty decent unit if the guys behind them would pick it up. Bohl needs to search the globe for a corner that is like Winfield of the Vikes, we need a guy that is physical and knows how to tackle back there.

As for the game yesterday, I don't care about how ugly it was. It was win and that is what this team needed more than anything.

stevdock
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
While the D line play yesterday was good, let's not say that is fixed yet until we see it a few more times. The first 8 games was really easy for the opposing QB to pick apart our back 7 when we have no consistent pass rush.

fargo_is_my_home
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Well, you what would have made a season........If UND and NDSU had played. Both schools could have put their pride on the line. Course the fans claim they don't want it, but I for one, would. At least we would have had something to look forward to. Is next year going to be any better?

56BISON73
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, you what would have made a season........If UND and NDSU had played. Both schools could have put their pride on the line. Course SOME fans NOT ALL claim they don't want it, but I for one, would. At least we would have had something to look forward to. Is next year going to be any better?

Fixed it for you.:D

fargo_is_my_home
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks, that is more accurate !

dryash83
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
jeez, start a thread on how we need to improve, and someone leaks in UND like a bad pair of depends. I so gd tired of being compared to UND, telling me we should play them. WE WILL PLAY THEM. I GUARANTEE. But for now, lets work on our own game.

Wednesday night at the hometown bar i had a drunk chew me out for giving a patron crap about how bad UND is. I mean, give me a break, like I had anything to back it up with????????

This subject gets so fricking old. WE WILL PLAY THEM. :mad:

bisonmike2
11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Just got back from the middle of nowhere in South Dakota. Heard the score 14-7 but didn't know anything about how bad it was. Sounds like it was pretty bad. To me every game the rest of the way is a throwaway game. Blow it up and start fresh next year.

fargo_is_my_home
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM
My point was this season sucked and so did the Bison. Had we beat the Sioux at least the season would not have sucked !

NDSUstudent
11-01-2009, 11:49 PM
My point was this season sucked and so did the Bison. Had we beat the Sioux at least the season would not have sucked !

Any season that the Bison don't make the playoffs sucks. I don't care if we beat the Florida Gators. No playoffs, equals no chance to do something that matters.

stevdock
11-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Any season that the Bison don't make the playoffs sucks. I don't care if we beat the Florida Gators. No playoffs, equals no chance to do something that matters.

Remember this quote the next time someone brings up FBS talk. Playoffs and a chance to win a championship is the way to go, no matter how many years away that seems right now.

Bisonfan1
11-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Good post SD, absolutely unacceptable no playoff game in Fargo in how many years, what a meltdown of one of the best programs in the country. I am going to stop complaining , bitching, moaning about this year, what the heck are the NDSU top dogs going to do to fix this mess? These guys need to win out the rest of the year, you think us rubes on here feel sick about this, what about the players/coaches/former players, they feel alot worse pain than us idiots on a message board. Too many bad decisions, everyone in the program needs to step back, look in the mirror, and go forward, this can and will be turned around next year. Was about ready to have the meltdown that a few had on here, I took a step back, thought about what we have in the stables, and the future looks bright. Total support for the rest of this season, pumped up for next season. To all the players that read this message board, NOT YOUR FAULT, thanx for your effort this season. You have my total support, I will be there at the end of the Youngstown game when the clock reads 00:00, and a Bison Victory. Seniors - You all are winners, you will walk away with a degree from North Dakota State Univeristy - JOB WELL DONE !!!

ndsubison1
11-02-2009, 03:44 AM
i guess we can look forward to the 2nd and 3rd best sports at NDSU: basketball and spring football ;)

rutlandbison
11-02-2009, 04:34 AM
A win is a win, no matter how ugly. We needed another one.

CaBisonFan
11-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Good post SD, absolutely unacceptable no playoff game in Fargo in how many years, what a meltdown of one of the best programs in the country. I am going to stop complaining , bitching, moaning about this year, what the heck are the NDSU top dogs going to do to fix this mess? These guys need to win out the rest of the year, you think us rubes on here feel sick about this, what about the players/coaches/former players, they feel alot worse pain than us idiots on a message board. Too many bad decisions, everyone in the program needs to step back, look in the mirror, and go forward, this can and will be turned around next year. Was about ready to have the meltdown that a few had on here, I took a step back, thought about what we have in the stables, and the future looks bright. Total support for the rest of this season, pumped up for next season. To all the players that read this message board, NOT YOUR FAULT, thanx for your effort this season. You have my total support, I will be there at the end of the Youngstown game when the clock reads 00:00, and a Bison Victory. Seniors - You all are winners, you will walk away with a degree from North Dakota State Univeristy - JOB WELL DONE !!!

Some good thoughts...and a great attitude...but a complete coaching change is needed to right the ship. A dynamic innovative coach that can flat out recruit is needed. Add disciplinarian who accepts nothing less than 100 percent commitment to the program.

None of this lands on the players at this point. They aren't being coached well. The offense looks like a high school scheme. Everything is completely out of sync.

stevdock
11-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Some good thoughts...and a great attitude...but a complete coaching change is needed to right the ship. A dynamic innovative coach that can flat out recruit is needed. Add disciplinarian who accepts nothing less than 100 percent commitment to the program.

None of this lands on the players at this point. They aren't being coached well. The offense looks like a high school scheme. Everything is completely out of sync.

None?? Really?? It was the coaches fault we had all that crap go on during the off-season. Each and every player on the team is responsible for one thing, THEMSELVES. 18-22 year olds shouldn't need to be told not to do illegal stuff. Everyone needs to look themselves in the mirror and try and improve.

Notorious
11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
None?? Really?? It was the coaches fault we had all that crap go on during the off-season. Each and every player on the team is responsible for one thing, THEMSELVES. 18-22 year olds shouldn't need to be told not to do illegal stuff. Everyone needs to look themselves in the mirror and try and improve.

Agreed...poor execution has been a problem, not just poor coaching. Execution of even average game plans can yield positive results, so I would have to say that the blame is shared.

Although, I do think some improvements/changes in the staff need to be considered.

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Good point SD......I am glad we didn't loose and take of residence in the MVFC cellar. And.......I am worried as hell about next year. hope this gets fixed.....

And now....on to Basketball............

CaBisonFan
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM

I should have been more clear. The coaching staff isn't doing their job well. That's not the fault of the players.

HerdBot
11-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Here's the deal... MOST of those attributes are a product of YOUTH and INEXPERIENCE. When the players get older, the team will get better. The same goes with Vigen. He's young and inexperienced. Now the leadership is another story. I think they are playing hard but they just don't have a clue what to do so it appears like they are not playing with emotion. They are frustrated and it shows. But I agree overall they just don't seem that jacked up.

dryash83
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM

gotcha. But IMHO, a two win season with UND being one of them still smells the same: Crap!. From a former post; lets be clear: This isn't player related faults; the predominant share of blame goes to the coaching staff. Blaming 19-23 year olds and not the 30-45 year olds isn't where we want to go.

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
gotcha. But IMHO, a two win season with UND being one of them still smells the same: Crap!. From a former post; lets be clear: This isn't player related faults; the predominant share of blame goes to the coaching staff. Blaming 19-23 year olds and not the 30-45 year olds isn't where we want to go.

Here's a novel idea: has anyone considered that both the coaches and the players share the blame? Yes, you can blame a lack of talent on the coaches, but I agree with the previous poster that it is not the coaches fault when a player makes bad off the field choices. The only comment you can wonder is did they have character problems in the past that the staff should have known about.....and I will buy that to a small degree. It is still not directly their fault when the player does something dumb (see Rocky Hager and Reggie Scott incident.....was it Hager that made a bad choice with the girl?).

Just as the coaching situation needs to be fixed (I do support Bohl for another season, but only after an assistant coach house cleaning), we need some of these young men to step up and be leaders on and off the field. They share the responsibility in fixing this with the coaching staff. I believe in personal accountability, not shifting blame to one group of the other.

SDbison
11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Here's a novel idea: has anyone considered that both the coaches and the players share the blame? Yes, you can blame a lack of talent on the coaches, but I agree with the previous poster that it is not the coaches fault when a player makes bad off the field choices. The only comment you can wonder is did they have character problems in the past that the staff should have known about.....and I will buy that to a small degree. It is still not directly their fault when the player does something dumb (see Rocky Hager and Reggie Scott incident.....was it Hager that made a bad choice with the girl?).

Just as the coaching situation needs to be fixed (I do support Bohl for another season, but only after an assistant coach house cleaning), we need some of these young men to step up and be leaders on and off the field. They share the responsibility in fixing this with the coaching staff. I believe in personal accountability, not shifting blame to one group of the other.
Exactly.......the blame lies with both the players and coaches.......I believe I made that clear several times in my rant. From an inside source sounds like the coaches and players need to get on the same page and start to work better together.

Bisonfan1
11-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Who cares about the dudes that got the boot, there are back up's in place, remember it was not too long ago, someone would go down, the back up would come in, and the Bison did not skip a beat, what happened to those days?? I think the answear is recruiting, and thats not the players fault. The program is in a total mess right now and thats the bottom line. I think we can rebound in a year, but it's going to take alot of work.

dryash83
11-03-2009, 12:21 AM

So........someone has to fall on the sword to save the Emperor??

THEsocalledfan
11-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Hey, I agree that major changes are needed. Either they all go, or the vast majority......

So, yes.......

dryash83
11-03-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.insidesocal.com/southbay/dwight_schrute_396x222.jpg

Michael: Oh, OK. Let me just cut to the chase, Dwight. I want you to fall on your sword for me.
Dwight: Oh, not gonna happen.

UTH
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
True, the team was looking a little rusty. After all, it is the first time I've seen them play this year.

However, they were persistent
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/kidtoddlerdrinkhosecutetryingpersis.gif
and got what they wanted

*really looking forward to seeing successful efforts continue:praying:

CaBisonFan
11-05-2009, 08:00 PM

I really don't care 'who' coaches our outstanding young players...but whoever it is has to crank it up a notch...or 10. Drastic change. Not sure that a turnaround of this magnitude can be achieved by the staff that's in place now. This isn't personal at all. It's about the state of the program. I strongly believe that there are some really weak links in the coaching staff. No coach is as important as the program. It must be understood on all levels.