PDA

View Full Version : Dome Turf......

bincitysioux
10-31-2009, 06:10 AM
A few questions...........

Anyone know how old the turf is in the Fargodome, is it the original stuff from 1993?

Is it slated to be replaced anytime soon?

If it is going to be replaced, is the "Mondo-Turf" that UNI and NAU have an option?

I ask because in all of FCS football the only teams that I can think of that still play on carpet are North Dakota, South Dakota, NDSU, and Idaho St........all dome teams.

Just trying to figure out the life-expectency of astroturf. I would certainly hope that when it wears out, both the Fargodome and Alerus upgrade to some form of field turf.

However, I was in Vermillion last year, and the turf there looked like it was installed in 1962.

NDSUstudent
10-31-2009, 07:17 AM
A few questions...........

Anyone know how old the turf is in the Fargodome, is it the original stuff from 1993?

Is it slated to be replaced anytime soon?

If it is going to be replaced, is the "Mondo-Turf" that UNI and NAU have an option?

I ask because in all of FCS football the only teams that I can think of that still play on carpet are North Dakota, South Dakota, NDSU, and Idaho St........all dome teams.

Just trying to figure out the life-expectency of astroturf. I would certainly hope that when it wears out, both the Fargodome and Alerus upgrade to some form of field turf.

However, I was in Vermillion last year, and the turf there looked like it was installed in 1962.

The old turf was replaced in 2001, the current turf is the same turf the Alerus Center has.

I hope the turf is replaced soon, I'd assume the life expectancy of turf is 10-15 years.

met1990
10-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I was in Vermillion last year.

I'm sorry...

bisonpride
10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
The old turf was replaced in 2001, the current turf is the same turf the Alerus Center has.

I hope the turf is replaced soon, I'd assume the life expectancy of turf is 10-15 years.

That is correct. The original turf was I believe from TCU. The new turf is easier to remove and put in then the previous turf. Because of the movable bleachers and other events like the Farm Show, Home Show, and Outdoors Show the turf needs to be removed. If it is removable then it is an option.

56BISON73
10-31-2009, 03:33 PM
That is correct. The original turf was I believe from TCU. The new turf is easier to remove and put in then the previous turf. Because of the movable bleachers and other events like the Farm Show, Home Show, and Outdoors Show the turf needs to be removed. If it is removable then it is an option.

FROM A PREVIOUS POST BY ROADWARRIOR

"""The original turf in the Fargodome was purchased used by TCU. It was in 5 yards strips and had to be zippered together when installed.

The current turf was brand new when installed and is a single piece with no seams. It was paid for out of Fargodome funds entirely.""

TheBisonator
11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I heard from thru the grapevine that the turf may be replaced with the new indoor field turf after next season (2010) is over. Funds are currently trying to be gathered. This will of course depend on whether the money is found in time.

This may just be third-hand bullshit, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

4mcruenomore
11-01-2009, 01:59 AM
What year was the library and the Dome flooded by a rain storm? 2000/2001?

NDSU1980
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I heard from thru the grapevine that the turf may be replaced with the new indoor field turf after next season (2010) is over. Funds are currently trying to be gathered. This will of course depend on whether the money is found in time.

This may just be third-hand bullshit, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

With the way Bohl is running things into the ground, I wonder if they will have more then 3 people left in TeamMakers next year. Good luck finding money for anything. :banghead:

Leonardite
11-02-2009, 01:19 AM

If you go down on it, the USD turf is actually in pretty good shape. It feels the same as the stuff in the Fargodome from my experience. I think it's the drab line and end zone markings that give it the appearance of being worse than it as. However, it is the old seamed style of turf, so I would imagine it's a candidate for getting replaced as soon as possible.

bisonmike2
11-02-2009, 01:23 AM
If you go down on it, the USD turf is actually in pretty good shape. It feels the same as the stuff in the Fargodome from my experience. I think it's the drab line and end zone markings that give it the appearance of being worse than it as. However, it is the old seamed style of turf, so I would imagine it's a candidate for getting replaced as soon as possible.

The Vermillion turf was new in 1996. I played there in H.S right after they got it installed. Brand new it was very spongy and bouncy. I'm sure it's been beaten down over the years.

tony
11-02-2009, 02:12 AM
What year was the library and the Dome flooded by a rain storm? 2000/2001?

June 19th and 20th, 2000.